• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Platinum claims it will ‘change significantly’ as it hires former Nintendo exec

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

The appointment will be explained in full tomorrow in an interview with Famitsu. Current vice president Hideki Kamiya and current CEO Atsushi Inaba were also present during the interview.

Prior to joining Platinum, Yamane served for seven years as the general manager of Nintendo’s licensing department.

Platinum has undergone several high-level staffing changes this year. After company co-founder Atsushi Inaba took over as CEO, he stated that he wants Platinum to undertake larger and riskier game projects.

Kataploom

Gold Member
Well, Platinum is very old school Sega/PS/Nintendo type of studio so it's very compatible with Nintendo philosophy. It could probably bring good relationships with Nintendo so I'd expect them to work closely as they've done these years.

Platinum makes fucking amazing games so I don't know why people keep saying this nonsense. The trash they make is a "get for what you pay situation" you treat them well, they make Bayonetta 2, astral chain and nier. You don't wanna invest for real, they make korra and Babylon's fall.
So what was the reason for Scalebound's cancellation? Microsoft has the deepest pockets in gaming and they seemed to have given the studio a lot of time to produce something worthwhile.

Platinum makes fucking amazing games so I don't know why people keep saying this nonsense. The trash they make is a "get for what you pay situation" you treat them well, they make Bayonetta 2, astral chain and nier. You don't wanna invest for real, they make korra and Babylon's fall.
He just said "more" good games, jeez.

Don't be offended by the fact platinum has been slacking lately.

Also, astral chain is meh.

Bayonetta 3 looks amazing, probably goty but it's taken forever.

Last edited:

Ezquimacore

Banned
So what was the reason for Scalebound's cancellation? Microsoft has the deepest pockets in gaming and they seemed to have given the studio a lot of time to produce something worthwhile.
Mismanagement at platinum and they accept it, even said "sorry" still nothing to do with the quality of their games.

I mean same happened with Metroid Prime 4 and Nintendo is THE gaming company.
Nintendo publishes their own games and use their own money to develop them. Platinum on the other hand is always on the lookout for outside companies/publishers to invest in their projects. Nintendo is accountable to themselves if they fail, Platinum is accountable to the entity that trusted them with funding if things go wrong.

AJUMP23

How does “more good games” not imply they already make good games.

^I disagree. They've gotten share of criticisms over the years.

Lol, you cannot play AC like Bayo. It has own set of mechanics and gameplay that different enough from Bayo.
I think you know what I meant.

It's just, it really didn't impress me in any way and I was excited for it, I buy pretty much all the big switch exclusives sans Xenoblade and it was a disappointment.

You cannot tell me with a straight face that it's not a second/third rate game compared to Bayonetta, devil may cry etc.

Labolas

It's just, it really didn't impress me in any way and I was excited for it, I buy pretty much all the big switch exclusives sans Xenoblade and it was a disappointment.

You cannot tell me with a straight face that it's not a second/third rate game compared to Bayonetta, devil may cry etc.
When you bring up something like Bayo, or DMC, you're bring up some of the best of the best action games a person can play. Sure, AC isn't a Bayo or DMC but it is a fun game nonetheless. This is like comparing Nier or Onimusha to Bayo or DMC but because they aren't as mechanically deep as those two then they're worse games for it. Sounds like you came into it expecting Bayo's level of depth and over the top-ness, that's more or less on you or not the game.

Last edited:
When you bring up something like Bayo, or DMC, you're bring up some of the best of the best action games a person can play. Sure, AC isn't a Bayo or DMC but it is a fun game nonetheless. This is like comparing Nier or Onimusha to Bayo or DMC but because they aren't as mechanically deep as those two then they're worse games for it. Sounds like you came into it expecting Bayo's level of depth and over the top-ness, that's more or less on you or not the game.
Nah, it's on platinum and the game. They made that style of game, and it's from the same company as bayo so it's an incredibly fair comparison.

I wouldn't compare madworld on Wii (which I do like) to Bayonetta because it's a different type of action game.

Labolas

Nah, it's on platinum and the game. They made that style of game, and it's from the same company as bayo so it's an incredibly fair comparison.

I wouldn't compare madworld on Wii (which I do like) to Bayonetta because it's a different type of action game.
Lol why wouldn't you compared Madworld to Bayonetta in this scenario? It's from the same company. They're both action games. Regardless, PG were pretty transparent on what game they're making with AC. AC wasn't ever supposed to be on the level of a Bayo. They weren't going to outdo Bayo or even be on the same level as Bayo. That much was clear with the info they gave with the game. Especially considering it's new IP and a first time director with its own identity.

Last edited:
Lol why wouldn't compared Madworld to Bayonetta in this scenario? It's from the same company. They're both action games.
They're not even remotely similar in how they play, the goal of the game, the camera, the speed, the environment being used for combos instead of just attacking

Astral chain is similar to Bayonetta but with the pet gimmick and much less combos

Shifty

Bunch of squabbling ass motherfuckers ITT.

Glad to hear PG is taking on someone who might be able to drag them out of the 'next game might bankrupt us' hole they've been hanging out in this gen. They've got too much talent for that to be a fair outcome.

Labolas

Dude, it's a gaming forum, calm down. This happens from time to time.
They're not even remotely similar in how they play, the goal of the game, the camera, the speed, the environment being used for combos instead of just attacking

Astral chain is similar to Bayonetta but with the pet gimmick and much less combos
Objectively speaking, you can still compare the games, can you not? There's mobs of enemies to fight and at the end you fight a boss. You can compare them by your logic.

Yeah no shit Astral Chain is similar to Bayo, but again it does have unique enough mechanics to separate itself from Bayo. An semi-open world with side quests and such. So yeah, I wasn't expecting a Bayo clone with identical mechanics. What I got was something different enough to be its own thing.

Last edited:
Dude, it's a gaming forum, calm down. This happens from time to time.

Objectively speaking, you can still compare the games, can you not? There's mobs of enemies to fight and at the end you fight a boss. You can compare them by your logic.

Yeah no shit Astral Chain is similar to Bayo, but again it does have unique enough mechanics to separate itself from Bayo. An semi-open world with side quests and such. So yeah, I wasn't expecting a Bayo clone with identical mechanics. What I got was something different enough to be its own thing.
Honestly, I'm glad you liked it. I'm not saying it's a bad game.

But yeah, super super hyped for bay 3!!

Labolas

Honestly, I'm glad you liked it. I'm not saying it's a bad game.

But yeah, super super hyped for bay 3!!
Cool, cool. Apologies if I came off super defensive, it wasn't my intention. Personally, I don't think that AC is amazing or a masterpiece, it does have problems but I still enjoy the game. But I appreciate the discussion/argument nonetheless.

They are overrated.
Will it make more good games?
J1VaL4R.jpg

jB5YeLbro_IsdWTnc60yN_udoDtkzq0pPdownApXOQ8.jpg

(not my tier list but I agree with most of the placement).

Reizo Ryuu

Korra is dope, I'm glad I own it, played it again a few days ago and had a blast, but it's a small game with a small budget, 'fun' is all I ever expected from it.

Fbh

Hopefully it's for the better, aside from a few stumbles like Babylon's Fall I still really like their games. Both Astral Chain and specially Nier Automata were great and I'm really looking forward to Bayonetta 3.
It's weird, some time ago they were talking as if they were going to take some big step forward with some big self published projects but ever since then they've mostly been radio silent and we've mostly just been getting bad news from them (departures, no longer working on Granblue Fantasy, Babylon's Fall sucking, etc).

Hopefully this new hiring can help them really push forward, and I hope we finally get a proper reveal for project G.G soon.

Riskier game projects, he says? I like what I'm hearing!

Could go either way.
Could be bigger budget and more ambitious titles or something really cool outside their comfort zone.......................................or yet another failed multiplayer game.

Last edited:
I will defend the Korra game to the fucking death. Sure the story was absolutely terrible, but the game is pretty fun. It's better than probably any other developer would have done with the budget and development time they were given.

Lethal01

It actually overtook Bayonetta as my favourite character action game.

Jeeves

Could go either way.
Could be bigger budget and more ambitious titles or something really cool outside their comfort zone.......................................or yet another failed multiplayer game.
I mean I loved Anarchy Reigns...so I can't lose!

Reactions: Fbh

Labolas

Parts of the Famitsu interview has been translated.

Here's what they said about Project G.G.:
unknown.png

Last edited:

Astral Dog

Doesn't sound like a bad thing in theory, they are just trying to diversify their lineup, we are still going to see traditional action games from Platinum, but also other things such as Sol Cresta, Capcom doesn't make Devil May Cry only.

Not enough gamers buy their original properties unfortunately, so they are looking into other genres

Last edited:

Astral Dog

Astral Chain is fucking awesome and a love letter to stylish action, its just not a 'combo' game, its about learning to utilize each legion efficiently.

Sometimes it seems like some gamers just ignore it because its not Nier Automata(its not any worse imo, just does different things) or typical combo action, but like Bayonetta, Astral Chain is a game only Platinum could make and one that deserves good sales and a sequel, if they want to make one

Last edited:
Astral Chain is fucking awesome and a love letter to stylish action, its just not a 'combo' game, its about learning to utilize each legion efficiently.

Sometimes it seems like some gamers just ignore it because its not Nier Automata(its not any worse imo, just does different things) or typical combo action, but Astral Chain is a game only Platinum could make and one that deserves good sales and a sequel, if they want to make one
I have not played it yet, but is it just as misunderstood as this game was?
MV5BZDdiNzBjMGQtMGM5OC00Zjc0LTgzNjYtMmQwYjRjNTAyZmZlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyOTQxNzM2MjY@._V1_.jpg

"We used to think that gimmicky, predatory, and manipulative cash grabs like Nintendo amiibos were disgusting, but now that their dick is firmly in our butt, dumb shit like that seems like a great idea."

NanaMiku

Also know as the most black company in Osaka. Low salary, over time , power harassment… 🫣

Oh jeez, is this true? Shouldn't be this surprised considering the amount of work and the lacking management they've had these years...
I Have a friend in Osaka who is a game dev. He went into a job fair and saw Platinum presentation. He said the vibe of Platinum is kinda cocky.

Kataploom

Gold Member
"We used to think that gimmicky, predatory, and manipulative cash grabs like Nintendo amiibos were disgusting, but now that their dick is firmly in our butt, dumb shit like that seems like a great idea."

Momma, Nintendo is forcing me to buy stuff I don't want to 😭
I Have a friend in Osaka who is a game dev. He went into a job fair and saw Platinum presentation. He said the vibe of Platinum is kinda cocky.
Maybe had to do with how they look so mismanaged, in my head in still not clear how could they loose a given Microsoft deal... And judging by Kamiya words and apology, they probably has at least part of the responsibility. Of new VP was on Nintendo for so long, I hope it helps them put the company on track since afaik Nintendo are the diametral opposite to that

Top Bottom