• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Plague Tale Requiem Is The Most Slept On Game of 2022

winjer

Gold Member
Dafuq? Really?

Yes. And they recognize the damage they are doing, but keep going and going.
Most chapters start with them arriving at a new town, everything is lovely and beautiful. They stroll around, get settle in, and eventually everyone dies because of the Macula that Hugo carries.
Then they go to another idyllic town. And then the cycle of genocide resumes.

Most chapters start with them arriving at a new town, everything is lovely and beautiful. They stroll around, get settle in, and eventually everyone dies because of the Macula that Hugo carries.

Hitler simulator

Skitso

Is this already patched so the performance on PS5 is acceptable? Stable 40 is good enough for me.

It perfectly encapsulates modern games in that it lacks any sort of interesting gameplay mechanic and heavily relies on over the edge acting and verbose dialogues to convey the character's state of mind. Personally I found borderline triggering the whispery voices of the two protagonists and the constant grunting and panting she does. Graphically a masterpiece, but I wouldnt call it nor entertaining nor a must play. I have to thank GamePass for affording me to form an objective opinion on it basically for free. It's a pity that so much talent and man hours are put to waste for such dull (albeit beautiful looking) experiences these days, we could be having so much more fun for the same effort.
P.S. Metal Gear Solid, while having long cutscenes, also has very entertaining gameplay and still feels like a game. It doesn't lack that sort of self aware humour that this game does by taking itself so seriously, althought it is in good company in that regard. This modern trend of moviegames is frankly obnoxious, even more so that they seem to be capitalizing the whole online discourse by appearing to be the only games worth discussing about.

solidus12

I loved the first one, but Requiem was such a disappointment for me.

Not only did they change some of the voice actors, but the combat and encounter levels were so poorly done.

They clearly tried to replicate TLOU2 in terms of levels but failed miserably.

Last edited:

Gaiff

Gold Member
What do you mean? It was nominated a bunch of times at The Game Awards, has a good metacritic score, and is fairly popular.

It's also a mediocre-as-shit game that tries to copy Naughty Dog except that Naughty Dog has a firm grasp on what good gameplay is and when they actually let the player do their thing, their game plays well. Uncharted 4 had fun firefights but too few of them and the pacing was bad.

Requiem is just a bad game with great visuals and voice acting. Y'know, things that would matter a lot more if it were a movie which it tries to be.

Last edited:
Fcd3dDZWQAIas59.jpg

bender

What time is it?
Not really a fan. I love the environmental art. There is so much love and care put into each area and a lot of areas are briefly used and not recycled. Really remarkable. The mechanics in the original game overstayed their welcome and the second doesn't do a ton to differentiate itself so I found myself fatigued much earlier on and I think it's a longer game than its' predecessor. The story is also rubbish.
What you do at the end of the game was the obvious choice from the outset. It only took a few cities being leveled and tens of thousands of innocent people dying for Amicia to catch on.

Props to the checkpoint system in the game. I got stuck in a section because of a lack of material and thought I'd have to replay the chapter but they do a good job of giving you hard points to restart at in the menu system.

Last edited:

oji-san

Banned
Had a lot of fun of it and was satisfied in the end, wonder if there's a third game how will they handle it. The only downside was the only 40fps on console, 60fps would made it an amazing experience.

Hohenheim

Definitly one of the very best games from 2022 for me. Only beaten by Elden Ring.
It was crashing from time to time (PC Game pass), but I played it day 1 and it's probably patched up and more stable now.

Last edited:

Mahnmut

I had to turn it off after an hour because the main protagonists refused to shut up even for a second.
That was SO annoying. In the first game, I had empathy for the kids but in the sequel I was shouting "shut the fuck up" everytime they were talking. Especially Hugo : "Water is wet Amicia, soldiers are going to find us Amicia, This is going to make noise Amicia"... The worst part was when they disguise themselves and he says "Are we going to disguise ourselves ?"...
He was so annoying that at the part where you have to kill him, I was looking in the inventory if I could shoot an arrow instead of using the sling

Last edited:
That was SO annoying. In the first game, I had empathy for the kids but in the sequel I was shouting "shut the fuck up" everytime they were talking. Especially Hugo : "Water is wet Amicia, soldiers are going to find us Amicia, This is going to make noise Amicia"... The worst part was when they disguise themselves and he says "Are we going to disguise ourselves ?"...
He was so annoying that at the part where you have to kill him, I was looking in the inventory if I could shoot an arrow instead of using the sling

A lot of people praise the main actresses acting also but i kind of found her non-stop distressing, panicking, and sobbing kind of annoying. Maybe its the writing more so the actress but I was like damn, shut up and lets get on with it.

But then again, I also hate the fact that they act like Amicia isn’t a child herself. Everyone treats her like an adult when shes like 16

Last edited:

Mahnmut

A lot of people praise the main actresses acting also but i kind of found her non-stop distressing, panicking, and sobbing kind of annoying. Maybe its the writing more so the actress but I was like damn, shut up and lets get on with it.

But then again, I also hate the fact that they act like Amicia isn’t a child herself. Everyone treats her like an adult when shes like 16
Nice point, I didn't even notice but you're right.
I played the game in french, being french speaking myself and also because I thought that since the studio is french and the action is taking place in France it was the "original version". But I found the dubbing to be lackluster and looking at the lips of the characters when they talked it makes no doubt that English was the main language.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
This is a MUST play for folks who like games like Last of Us, Uncharted, or Metal Gear Solid. This stands shoulder to shoulder with long established AAA franchises like the ones I just mentioned.
Reading this makes me question my sanity. I literally started playing it yesterday. It is the basic stealth game ive ever played. Maybe things open up later in the game and it turns into a tactical stealth action masterpiece like MGSV, but right now this shit is a fucking walking simulator with some of the basic combat mechanics ive ever seen.

Insta death in 2022? Are you fucking kidding me? They dont believe in dodge, counters, or you know fighting back?

I sometimes question if people actually understand the gameplay portion of games like TLOU2 and Uncharted because these posts make it clear that they dont get how complex, sandboxish and intuitive those games really are. Forget MGSV which is a TPS masterpiece, i cant believe people would even think about putting TLOU2 in the same breath as this walking simulator with worse stealth gameplay than PS2 games like MGS2, MGS3 and the Splinter Cell games.

Graphics arent anything special either. I got to the first town everyone is raving about and it looks as last gen as any game ive seen. The environments look ok, but nothing special. 3080 maxed out at 4k dlss quality. meh at best. Cant believe these guys made Flight Sim. The lighting in that game alone destroys the gamey UE4 quality we see here. But at least it looks comparable to other last gen games. Gameplay wise it is the most basic fucking ive ever played.

Quit after the town forced me to watch a musical and i couldnt get out of it. That was literally the 6th walking section in the first hour, hour and a half. SIXTH. People who make these games ought to actually play their games because this shit is unplayable.

BootsLoader

Banned
I believe I've played every major release of 2022, and Requiem is head and shoulders above the competition. My GOTY is still Elden Ring, but the fact Ragnarok was the game nipping at its heels seems like a joke after completing Requiem.

I completed Innocence last week and felt like it was a solid 8/10 experience overall that held up well. Fantastic pacing, world, characters, plot, bosses, combat and stealth mix, soundtrack, and ending.

What I got in Requiem was everything from the original elevated far and above. The visuals maxed out are superb. Some of the best in the business. I was constantly using photo mode and soaking it in. The plot was very well written with some tremendous performances to flesh out these characters. It also never loses itself through superb pacing to keep the game going from highs to lows, and never overstayed its welcome. Audio here is bliss with some of the best music in a big name title of recent years. The combat in the original was more limited, but this was expanded on in so many ways to create every "area" with combat as a sandbox that allows you to strut your stuff on how you want to tackle it. With higher difficulties you'll be put to the test of stealth and action. The upgrade system this go around was far more fine tuned and intuitive than the original to boot.

This is a MUST play for folks who like games like Last of Us, Uncharted, or Metal Gear Solid. This stands shoulder to shoulder with long established AAA franchises like the ones I just mentioned. Any game forward from this studio is a day one must buy for me. Oh and on PC maxed out everything on a 3080 it ran like butter, PLUS it supported PS5 haptics on the xbox game pass PC version. That's HUGE.

Play it.
Did you play GOW Ragnarok?

M1987

Just finished it now,and that ending is mad

Edit:Looks like I'm not finished yet

Last edited:
What I got in Requiem was everything from the original elevated far and above. The visuals maxed out are superb. Some of the best in the business. I was constantly using photo mode and soaking it in. The plot was very well written with some tremendous performances to flesh out these characters. It also never loses itself through superb pacing to keep the game going from highs to lows, and never overstayed its welcome. Audio here is bliss with some of the best music in a big name title of recent years. The combat in the original was more limited, but this was expanded on in so many ways to create every "area" with combat as a sandbox that allows you to strut your stuff on how you want to tackle it. With higher difficulties you'll be put to the test of stealth and action. The upgrade system this go around was far more fine tuned and intuitive than the original to boot...
not to single you out, op, but has anyone else noticed that, when someone is praising a game, this is this almost always the first 'feature' mentioned nowadays?...

Sleepwalker

Gold Member
I liked the first one but towards the end it was getting a bit long in the tooth for me as the gameplay was not great.

Apparently the second one is much longer without improving too much gameplay wise so I'm not sure I wanna play it.

Sleepwalker

Gold Member

She is not a child. The game is set in the 1300s there were no "teenage years" then. You were a kid and then at 12-14 you became an adult. Joined the army, got married etc. Amicia is by all intents and purposes an adult within the time the story takes place.

For girls specifically, they were mostly considered adults at 14 or at the moment they got their first period. So Amicia at 16 is the equivalent of an early twenties adult in modern times.

DaGwaphics

That is a funny point about the story. However, I guess this was supposed to be explained by the need to seek out others to save Hugo, plus they did make it clear that they were trying but failing to avoid this result.

The setup for an eventual sequel was weird to me, because what does that entail now that the player knows what the only real solution to the problem appears to be? 🤷‍♂️

She is not a child. The game is set in the 1300s there were no "teenage years" then. You were a kid and then at 12-14 you became an adult. Joined the army, got married etc. Amicia is by all intents and purposes an adult within the time the story takes place.

For girls specifically, they were mostly considered adults at 14 or at the moment they got their first period. So Amicia at 16 is the equivalent of an early twenties adult in modern times.

Eh, im not buying it because before the rats started, Amicia was in fact treated like a child when both her parents were alive. It was only after taking on the role of the “guardian” that people started acting like she was a fearsome warrior and bodyguard

And yes, in the first game she’s just turning 15. Young girls aren’t joining the army and fighting soldiers

Last edited:

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
I gave it the benefit of the doubt, but nope, it’s a pretty poor game. The bad collision detection in the rats areas is just the lesser of the game’s problems. The stealth is bad, you’re constantly passing through a gap or a door, the puzzles are as braindead as it gets. The game loves to take away your ability to run for very questionable reasons way too often, and the “where to go next?” parts are so dumb they made me cringe. But most of all, Amicia is the most insufferable and unrelatable character I’ve seen in a game in a long time. She’s absolutely loco in the coco, for all the wrong reasons, and she won’t. fucking. shut. the. fuck. up for a single second. They talked less in Puppeteer, ffs.

I dropped the game at chapter 4 or 5. No regrets.

Sleepwalker

Gold Member
Eh, im not buying it because before the rats started, Amicia was in fact treated like a child when both her parents were alive. It was only after taking on the role of the “guardian” that people started acting like she was a fearsome warrior and bodyguard

And yes, in the first game she’s just turning 15. Young girls aren’t joining the army and fighting soldiers

You can deny if you want lol, im just stating historical facts. Obviously young women dont join the army, that was for boys, young women did get married at 14 or under and were considered full grown women. People back then would grow into whatever role was assigned to them, Amicia quite clearly wasnt married or anything yet, she came from a wealthyish family which makes her a bit of an exception not the rule. Doesn't mean that because here family treated her different, the rest of the world would as well.

vj27

Banned
I liked the first game a lot. For some odd ass reason I just can’t get into the sequel. It’s that long ass fucking tutorial intro. Reminds me of red dead 2, except the story during that was engaging from the start here I’m just kinda bored so I started playing other things. I really should just man up an get through it because I knows it’s a great game lol. It’s the dumbest thing stopping me from playing but, I had to say it lol.

Edit: This will be a strange comparison but high on life grabbed me from the second I booted it up, same with sonic frontiers. I only play games for about an hour or less after work and school unless I’m playing halo/warzone/grounded with friends. So the game really needs to grab my attention within the first 10-20 minutes or I’ll just play something else.

Last edited:

Hugare

I enjoyed the first game, but the second one is terrible in terms of pacing

Not only that, the gameplay is bad. It barely improved upon the first game.

I always laugh when enemies catch you and they "bonk" your head with the sword instead of, you know ... slicing you with it.

Arsic

Gold Member

I guess this is maybe why I enjoy it as much as I do. Some last of us vibes in its design choices.

I’m excited to see what they do next. Sad to read there’s no 60fps mode for consoles. I played on pc with everything cranked to max so I didn’t have performance issues.

I personally can’t do 30/40 fps so I wouldn’t recommend it for console lol.

Hopefully they patch in 60 for those interested.

Sygma

I believe I've played every major release of 2022, and Requiem is head and shoulders above the competition. My GOTY is still Elden Ring, but the fact Ragnarok was the game nipping at its heels seems like a joke after completing Requiem.

I completed Innocence last week and felt like it was a solid 8/10 experience overall that held up well. Fantastic pacing, world, characters, plot, bosses, combat and stealth mix, soundtrack, and ending.

What I got in Requiem was everything from the original elevated far and above. The visuals maxed out are superb. Some of the best in the business. I was constantly using photo mode and soaking it in. The plot was very well written with some tremendous performances to flesh out these characters. It also never loses itself through superb pacing to keep the game going from highs to lows, and never overstayed its welcome. Audio here is bliss with some of the best music in a big name title of recent years. The combat in the original was more limited, but this was expanded on in so many ways to create every "area" with combat as a sandbox that allows you to strut your stuff on how you want to tackle it. With higher difficulties you'll be put to the test of stealth and action. The upgrade system this go around was far more fine tuned and intuitive than the original to boot.

This is a MUST play for folks who like games like Last of Us, Uncharted, or Metal Gear Solid. This stands shoulder to shoulder with long established AAA franchises like the ones I just mentioned. Any game forward from this studio is a day one must buy for me. Oh and on PC maxed out everything on a 3080 it ran like butter, PLUS it supported PS5 haptics on the xbox game pass PC version. That's HUGE.

Play it.

Its honestly nothing special. The graphical display considering the size of the team is the strongest point of the title however. Personally I don't think a single heavy narrative based game has nailed stealth yet the way Splinter Cell and MGS 3 did.

Roufianos

I liked the first game a lot. For some odd ass reason I just can’t get into the sequel. It’s that long ass fucking tutorial intro. Reminds me of red dead 2, except the story during that was engaging from the start here I’m just kinda bored so I started playing other things. I really should just man up an get through it because I knows it’s a great game lol. It’s the dumbest thing stopping me from playing but, I had to say it lol.

Edit: This will be a strange comparison but high on life grabbed me from the second I booted it up, same with sonic frontiers. I only play games for about an hour or less after work and school unless I’m playing halo/warzone/grounded with friends. So the game really needs to grab my attention within the first 10-20 minutes or I’ll just play something else.
Haha, came to post the exact same thing.

Really struggled with the first two hours of this, pacing is super slow and it feels like they've improved next to nothing from the original.

I booted up Life is Strange last night instead and had more fun in the first 5 mins.

GymWolf

Waiting for the new pc build before trying this one but i'm not sure that i'm gonna like it after hearing some feedbacks here...

welshrat

Played it on game pass on series X but endured it rather than enjoyed it. Really not my thing. 30fps annoyed me (only have one input for 120/40 fps as other has ARC to amp and I have PS5 connected to it). YMMV.

I plan on getting Requiem on PS5 soon especially since I really liked the first game, but I think one of the reasons it was overlooked is because there are simply way too many games out now and it probably got buried in the releases. It’s a shame because I’m sure it’s a hidden gem based on what I’ve seen and played.

Last edited:

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Nah, not sleeping on it. I found the first one to be pretty good, albeit pretty dumbed down in the gameplay department. So I expect the sequel to pretty much follow that template, which doesn’t warrant a $50-$60 purchase from me.
I’ll get around to it, but like the majority of other AAA games - when the price is right.

Jimmy_liv

I didn't like it.
Was too slow, a bit janky, the girl just narrated her life which was annoying and the acting was a bit rubbish.

Just not for me.

damidu

Is hugo still a whiny little fuck and the game full of amecias whisper talking? Hated both about the first game...
oh man. take the first game and multiply by 100
one of the most unbearable voice acting ive endured.
especially hugo, sounds like grown ass woman acting as a child or something

Last edited:

Raven117

Gold Member
Not really a fan. I love the environmental art. There is so much love and care put into each area and a lot of areas are briefly used and not recycled. Really remarkable. The mechanics in the original game overstayed their welcome and the second doesn't do a ton to differentiate itself so I found myself fatigued much earlier on and I think it's a longer game than its' predecessor. The story is also rubbish.
What you do at the end of the game was the obvious choice from the outset. It only took a few cities being leveled and tens of thousands of innocent people dying for Amicia to catch on.

Props to the checkpoint system in the game. I got stuck in a section because of a lack of material and thought I'd have to replay the chapter but they do a good job of giving you hard points to restart at in the menu system.
This too. I know they wanted to too make it where the player knew before Amecia, but we didn’t get enough time with Amicia
knowing what needed to be done and coping with that. It was such a core conflict, and to just kinda address it 30 min end gane wasn’t enough.[\spoiler]

Last edited:
Nearly quit this game due to how shit the gameplay is in the early sections before you have decent tools.

Story and graphics are really good. Gameplay is average at best.

Top Bottom