• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Plague Tale: Requiem - Hands-on previews

There's a lot to like. So while I have reservations about the guts of it, and the repetition of a so-far-wanting formula and frustrations that arise from it, there are signs it could improve. There's also a sliver of time left before the game comes out in October for fine-tuning. Fingers crossed.

https://www.windowscentral.com/gaming/xbox/a-plague-tale-requiem-preview

Despite having two entire chapters to play through, it feels like I've only gotten the barest glimpse into what is next for Amicia and Hugo. The stakes remain high, the gameplay is better, the graphics gorgeous, and the levels provide more options than before.

There are still issues that I'd like to see taken care of before playing through the full game, but with A Plague Tale: Requiem going gold back in August, there's more than enough time for the developers have things polished by launch. I'm eager to see the rest of the story and learn just what dark twists Asobo Studio has in store for this duo.

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/a-...t-shows-restraint-in-its-approach-to-violence

Still, I'm hopeful Asobo will deliver on what they've shown here in these (presumably) middle chapters of A Plague Tale: Requiem. It has everything you'd possibly want from a capable sequel – a wider selection of powers that build effectively on what came before, and enough twists and ripples on its familiar rhythms so it still feels new and challenging. Heck, they've even tidied up the crafting menu and added a Skyrim-style skill set that unlocks extra perks and buffs just by doing an action repeatedly, rewarding stealth and aggressive playstyles equally. It's a textbook bit of sequelcraft, in other words, and I'm excited to see what lies beyond these stormy waters when A Plague Tale: Requiem launches in full on October 18th.

https://press-start.com.au/previews...-on-preview-bigger-better-tons-more-rats/amp/

https://wccftech.com/a-plague-tale-requiem-preview/amp/

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/a...ry-familiar/1100-6507204/?ftag=CAD-01-10abi2f

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
I've been trying to power through the first game before it leaves Game Pass. I don't love everything about it, but it's definitely memorable.

Cyborg

I doubt I will buy it on day one but I am curious to play it. The first game was a nice surprise.

Leaving my #1 GOTY slot open for this game to pass Elden Ring. First one blew me away with it's story and environments and simple, survival horror-esque resource management.

Gaelyon

Gold Member
Asobo is a top notch indie studio. Both the first A plague Tale and Flight Simulator 2020 were great. They moved recently to a bigger building and hired tons of peoples, while still coding FS 2020 (they got like 10 years cycle from MS on it). So i'm confident this sequel will be even better. Also while they got a nice relationship with MS they aren't ready to sell the studio anytime, according to a dev friend of mine.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
It was on PS+ Premium. If you flagged it there, you'll have access to it for as long as you have PS+, as the games don't get taken away like with Extra and GamePass.

It was on Essential (when it was the only PS+ that existed), probably what you meant.

Fredrik

I'm not hyped, but I'll play it. Good game for GP for sure.

Only played the first one briefly, so I'll have to finish it soon.
This is exactly how it is for me as well. I played the first one for a couple nights, should finish it, not even sure why I stopped. I played through Immortality, strangest thing I’ve played in decades, so skipping this would be weird.

This is exactly how it is for me as well. I played the first one for a couple nights, should finish it, not even sure why I stopped. I played through Immortality, strangest thing I’ve played in decades, so skipping this would be weird.
Immortality was great lol. Weirdest shit ever. I love actually being surprised by a bizarre game.

Plague Tale I just was kind of bored by and only played the first hour. I'll finish it mostly to try the 2nd, which seems like a real looker. I wanted to play it in French, but the subtitles are annoyingly small. The British VA seemed off. Guess I'll have to sit on the floor and play it.

Fredrik

Immortality was great lol. Weirdest shit ever. I love actually being surprised by a bizarre game.

Plague Tale I just was kind of bored by and only played the first hour. I'll finish it mostly to try the 2nd, which seems like a real looker. I wanted to play it in French, but the subtitles are annoyingly small. The British VA seemed off. Guess I'll have to sit on the floor and play it.
Immortality - I went in blind, barely understood any of it at first. It got me to shiver and have all the hair on my body to stand near the end lol but otherwise I thought it was extremely bad as a game. It was unique but I think I’m too stressed out to truly enjoy something like that.

Last edited:

solidus12

Everything I played and found out and discussed with some people working on it. The game seems to nail corrections from the original and the idea of moving the story forward very well.
I enjoyed every damned second of it
What about that Aztec Assassin’s Creed? Is it still on track?

Karak

What about that Aztec Assassin’s Creed? Is it still on track?
Hell ya the new one is on Mars.

I will always ALWAYS rue not checking if I was on discord or Twitter lol. Live and learn and understand where your copy and pasting

Last edited:

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

A Plague Tale: Requiem is continuing the story of Amicia and Hugo while adding some new options in combat and stealth for the duo. Our preview gives us a peek at chapters 6 and 7 that show off some of these new mechanics in the sequel. Chapter 7 in this Plague Tale Requiem preview shows off a few new characters and sets them off on their journey at sea. We only get a glimpse of where Plague Tale is taking us after Plague Tale Innocence, but we are liking what we see so far.

DaGwaphics

Asobo is a top notch indie studio. Both the first A plague Tale and Flight Simulator 2020 were great. They moved recently to a bigger building and hired tons of peoples, while still coding FS 2020 (they got like 10 years cycle from MS on it). So i'm confident this sequel will be even better. Also while they got a nice relationship with MS they aren't ready to sell the studio anytime, according to a dev friend of mine.

If there was a smaller studio you'd think MS would want to pickup you'd think it would be this one. As long as they keep the games coming to GP, I guess we can live with them staying independent.

Make them a better offer Spencer. :messenger_grinning_smiling:

Wow. this looks really dated. I remember the first trailer looking a lot better than this. At first i thought they were showing footage from the first game.
For a small developer I think it looks pretty good. It's a clear improvement over the last game. The geometryof environments is more dense than most games. Lighting is improved though probably not by a lot. I bet the animations are where it'll seem most dated.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Just a few minutes into our A Plague Tale: Requiem hands-on and Amicia de Rune is shin-deep in shit. While that would be an apt description for the sequel to a stealth horror game about avoiding ravenous rats, it's also quite literally what's happening.

We were lucky enough to get an early hands-on demo of A Plague Tale: Requiem at Gamescom 2022 and here are our thoughts....

Top Bottom