• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Place your bets: Will Sony honor past ps1/psp purchases when they roll out the new ps+?

Will they honor the past purchases?

• Yea, they will

Votes: 55 12.8%
  • No, they won’t

Votes: 279 65.0%
  • They won’t sell them individually at all, so no

Votes: 95 22.1%

• Total voters
captain toad rn

Screen_Shot_2020-10-05_at_11.51.58_AM.png

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
You guys sound like you aren't treated well in your current relationship and have issues trusting others.

Did we read the same article ? it says select games, let's see how many come under 'select'.

It's like how the universal trial system is just 6 game trials available around launch.

Also, players who have previously purchased the digital version of select games from the original PlayStation and PSP generation will not have to make a separate purchase or sign up to PlayStation Plus to play these titles on PS4 or PS5

yurinka

See what this super smart, wise, intelligent and sexy person said:
Retail no, but the digital ones I think will be available to be purchased separatedly in the PS4 & PS5 stores in addition to be included in the sub. For the digital PSP & PS1 games that were available on PSP, Vita and PS3, all of them were crossbuy between PSP, Vita and PS3. So I assume now will be crossbuy between PSP, Vita, PS3, PS4 and PS5.

Last edited:

yurinka

I meant allowing you to own the games you paid for in the past. As in the topic of the thread.
Yes, Sony as I predicted Sony won't allow you to play retail discs of old systems (or give you a digital copy if inserting the disc as MS does with some OG XB and 360 games).

They simply will expand the crossbuy they had for the digital PSOne Classics and PSP games. In the past it was between PSP, Vita and PS3. Now will include PSP, Vita, PS3, PS4 and PS5.

Any digital PS One or PSP you bought in PSP, Vita or PS3 will be downloadable an playable for free in PS4 and PS5 if available (some may not be available anymore due to licensing issues for additional platforms). You won't need to buy them again or to have any sub to get them.

Yes, Sony as I predicted Sony won't allow you to play retail discs of old systems (or give you a digital copy if inserting the disc as MS does with some OG XB and 360 games).

They simply will expand the crossbuy they had for the digital PSOne Classics and PSP games. In the past it was between PSP, Vita and PS3. Now will include PSP, Vita, PS3, PS4 and PS5.

Any digital PS One or PSP you bought in PSP, Vita or PS3 will be downloadable an playable for free in PS4 and PS5 if available (some may not be available anymore due to licensing issues for additional platforms). You won't need to buy them again or to have any sub to get them.
Yes, we knew that. The PS5 doesn't play CDs. It doesn't play PS3 games natively. PSP games would be very difficult to shove into a PS5 disc slot. And PS4 discs already work on PS5.

Did you also predict Super Nintendo cartridges wouldn't work in your GameCube?

Last edited:

Susurrus

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

If I saw this post before I would have voted no. But since I have yet to vote, I cheated and picked correctly.

Keihart

really happy to be wrong about this, i hope they keep going in this direction, feels like course correction.

sol_bad

When Sony say "select" titles, do we think they might mean first party titles only? At least during the initial stages, and as deals are worked out other titles will be made available?

I'll freely admit that I'm shocked they went this route, and I'm a quite happy to be wrong on this one. I'll wait to see the whole list before I get excited, but I might fire up the PS4 for the first time in over a year to play some PS1 classics I bought ages ago on the PS3.

Figures Sony would wait till the fucking Gen is over before letting me play the damn PS1 games I purchased digitally.

Closer

Wow! It's pretty easy to have a success, it seems: just pick GAFs opinion about anything and do the exact opposite. GAF was Michael Pachter all along!

dcmk7

Banned
It's like how the universal trial system is just 6 game trials available around launch.
Here are some of the titles that will be part of the time-limited game trials.

• Uncharted: Legacy of Thieves Collection | Naughty Dog, PS5
  • Horizon Forbidden West | Guerrilla Games, PS4/PS5
  • Cyberpunk 2077 | CD Projekt, PS5
  • Farming Simulator 22 | Giants Software GmBH, PS4/PS5
  • Tiny Tina’s Wonderland | 2K Games, PS4/PS5
  • WWE 2K22 | 2K Games, PS4/PS5

When Sony say "select" titles, do we think they might mean first party titles only? At least during the initial stages, and as deals are worked out other titles will be made available?
It's a safeguard because there possibly could be exceptions. For example if a PS2 game gets a remaster or something and the third-party wants to sell it as a "new" game.

It's safe to say that for all intents and purposes this will apply to all old PSN game purchases.

Gamerguy84

This is cool. I wonder how my Vita games are going to look. Doesn't matter I still have a Vita and PSTV. Need to find a power cord for the PSTV though.

I've heard they're going to be 60fps. I can't wait to check out UC Golden Abyss again.

sol_bad

so does this mean i can buy stuff on my PS3 and play it on PS5

You should be able to buy them on your PS5.
<__<

Wow! It's pretty easy to have a success, it seems: just pick GAFs opinion about anything and do the exact opposite. GAF was Michael Pachter all along!

Sony have shown that they didn't care about old games over the last 10+ years. It's not surprising that many people were wrong about this and it's great that we were wrong.

This is cool. I wonder how my Vita games are going to look. Doesn't matter I still have a Vita and PSTV. Need to find a power cord for the PSTV though.

I've heard they're going to be 60fps. I can't wait to check out UC Golden Abyss again.
Vita is not part of this service as of now. Unless I miss new news?

Closer

Sony have shown that they didn't care about old games over the last 10+ years. It's not surprising that many people were wrong about this and it's great that we were wrong.

It doesn't matter, really. Good for anyone that has a backlog of older gen games on PSN. Props to Sony.

93xfan

Banned
With ps1 and psp games getting fresh native ports for ps5/ps4… will sony honor the classics we bought back in the Vita / Ps3 era? I bought a bunch back in the day myself. I could see it going either way, or they could just say they’re only available as part of the sub service.
You’re in luck, because Sony has a great deal for loyal customers like you and me. We can spend the same $17 a month as everyone else to help promote our favorite brand.

Sony just wants what’s best for us, so open your wallet.

While I really doubt they'll honor previous purchases and allow them to be played on modern consoles, I would love it if they did. That would honestly be so great since I just purchased Xenosaga to play on my Vita. I'd much prefer to play it upscaled on my TV instead without having to pull out my PS3.

GHound

While I really doubt they'll honor previous purchases and allow them to be played on modern consoles, I would love it if they did. That would honestly be so great since I just purchased Xenosaga to play on my Vita. I'd much prefer to play it upscaled on my TV instead without having to pull out my PS3.
Mark Wahlberg Reaction GIF by 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment

I've got some good news and I've got some bad news.

The good news is
players who have previously purchased the digital version of select games from the original PlayStation and PSP generation will not have to make a separate purchase or sign up to PlayStation Plus to play these titles on PS4 or PS5. When these titles are released for PS4 and PS5, players can head to PlayStation Store and download a version for the consoles at no extra cost if they already own the digital version of the title.

The bad news is
select games from the original PlayStation and PSP generation
is open to interpretation.

Mark Wahlberg Reaction GIF by 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment

I've got some good news and I've got some bad news.

The good news is

The bad news is is open to interpretation.
Holy shit. How did my dumbass miss that in the blog post?

Also, they're totally going to screw us over with the "select game" language. I'm both happy and sad.

Top Bottom