• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pixel-Art in video games, not just some squares.

Holammer

A reminder that Steel Assault launches September 28'th, on PC & Switch.
Quite possibly one of the finest and most authentic pixel art right now. I tried the demo during the last Steam demo event and it wouldn't have been looked out of place as a SNK or Irem arcade back in the 90s.

Holammer

This was already mentioned by another user on page 1 of this thread, but it's coming out tomorrow as I post this. It's an 8-bit Metal Gear parody game called UnMetal. The developer previously made an action RPG called Unepic which I really like and this seems to have the same dumb lowbrow humor.

Comes out on all the platforms September 28'th.

MachRc

The Last Night

LastNightWake.gif

TLN_Crowd_01_compressed.gif
LastNightOnCar.gif

geez we've been waiting
4 year now....

SirTerry-T

A reminder that Steel Assault launches September 28'th, on PC & Switch.
Quite possibly one of the finest and most authentic pixel art right now. I tried the demo during the last Steam demo event and it wouldn't have been looked out of place as a SNK or Irem arcade back in the 90s.

That looks like an Amiga Spaceballs "State Of The Art" demo reference at the 0:22 second mark....

Holammer

So there's a new Steam NEXT event with tons of new demos.
First game I tried was Transiruby, a pixelart metroidvania with some real heavy Cave Story vibes. Stopped playing it after the first boss and wishlisted it.
I particularly like how animation and movement actually follows the pixel grid and does not go sub-pixel. Some elements like text are higher resolution which sucks. But nothing a little ReShade can't fix.
Coming this autumn for PC and Switch later.

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
I started to play Carrion but it is bugged early on and i can't progress. Can't find anything online. This really sucks.

Sophist

haven't played this game yet (still in early access) but the art looks amazing.
pool_of_tender_lovingpsjg4.jpg

screenshot_2018-03-26rjkcd.png

Bartski

Gold Member
haven't played this game yet (still in early access) but the art looks amazing.
pool_of_tender_lovingpsjg4.jpg

screenshot_2018-03-26rjkcd.png

the STEAM demo was great. The early access version is out getting rave reviews everywhere, I'm following this one real close but putting it on hold till the full release. Sadly no ETA yet, I asked the game director on Twitter and he said he's hoping for late 2022 but the game is so big it could take longer

zeomax

This has to be fake? where do those extra details come from?
It is a combination of blurriness and an optical illusion. Because of the blurriness it looks like there are more pixels than there actually are and your brain is filling up the space between the pixels with details.

Last edited:

Holammer

This has to be fake? where do those extra details come from?
It isn't real extra detail, kinda looks like it.
A CRT works by projecting/drawing the image line by line across a mask with holes. If you look closely you see the image is made up from dots of red, green and blue at different intensity.

It's the texture of the mask (and other imperfections of CRTs) that appears like extra detail.

CRT_pixel_array.jpg

awN6emH.jpg
JiuXwX3.jpg

Raw image on the left and simulated CRT shader from MAME (it's a really good 'un) on the right.
Super Contra Arcade.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
It isn't real extra detail, kinda looks like it.
A CRT works by projecting/drawing the image line by line across a mask with holes. If you look closely you see the image is made up from dots of red, green and blue at different intensity.

It's the texture of the mask (and other imperfections of CRTs) that appears like extra detail.

CRT_pixel_array.jpg

awN6emH.jpg
JiuXwX3.jpg

Raw image on the left and simulated CRT shader from MAME (it's a really good 'un) on the right.
Super Contra Arcade.
Yeah, CRT pixels are round.
Here is a pic of my crt up close (yt like button)

15dPrd5.jpg

Holammer

My bad. In fact, i was looking for the title of a recent RPG with similar graphics. (it was revealed this summer i think)
Any idea ?(not DQ3 remake)
is it Eiyuden Chronicle? The spiritual sequel to Suikoden that was kickstarted. It shares a similar art style to Octopath Traveller.

CamHostage

Okinawa Rush was released a couple of days ago, on PC and Switch.
While it plays nothing like it, I feel it evokes games like First Samurai or IK+ on the Amiga.

Huh? Looks like it's got that "heavy", Euro-Amiga feel to it that I associate with European games from the 16-bit era (which I sometimes dislike but sometimes love), but with a lot more complexity and flexibility to the moveset to compensate for modern play styles. Good stuff!

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
How about this retro look. It's half DOS looking. Bought it for $5 a few weeks ago on Steam.

But as OP had in his post, I still think Meta Slug is among the best old era graphics out there. The amount of crazy smooth animations and nice looking plumes of fire and smoke seemed impossible to do even on Neo Geo. I dont think any other games on NG were that smooth looking. And MS slug games had a very unique art style of explosions and pieced together steel tanks and weird shit that's hard to pinpoint anywhere else which made it cool

ss_f0090674133726c198bf0ac8082a5d588fcc23fa.1920x1080.jpg

Last edited:

Holammer

Hypetrain Digital have a publisher sale on Steam.
Noticed two upcoming pixel art games, Mago and Akator. Mago, the more interesting one IMO looks very Megadrive'ish with its Taito'esque palette work and dark outlines.

Sophist

If On A Winter's Night, Four Travelers is a free game available on steam and itch.io since March of this year.
It's a point-and-click game that has four stories to explore but it's more like a visual novel than anything.
I only have played the first story and it was okay, i would say, but the art is fantastic.
it's quite short too, not more than 15 minutes to finish the first story.

description_banner_teebk5i.gif
kpAvcb.gif

the two first minutes of play:

Fat Frog

I advertised for Google Stadia
tumblr_nqrlvmgXqp1qd4q8ao1_500.gifv
tumblr_inline_p7lprpDlCF1r2gkqp_500.gifv
zelda-the-legend-of-zelda.gif

Simple but clean and timeless, still the best looking 2d zelda game.
Zelda 3 > BOTW
😎

The best ZELDA would be Link awakening with A link to the Past engine.

Decades ago, i loved Zelda 3's pixel art, i still prefer it to modern 3D Zelda but through time i discovered more appealing classic 2D like Lunar or even Marvelous on the Snes:
162-02.jpg

It's Zelda 3's engine by Aonuma mixed with Link Awakening, Lunar...
Sun, palm beach. 😍

Top Bottom