• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • The Politics forum has been nuked. Please do not bring political discussion to the rest of the site, or you will be removed. Thanks.

Pixel-Art in video games, not just some squares.

Holammer

Jan 3, 2019
A reminder that Steel Assault launches September 28'th, on PC & Switch.
Quite possibly one of the finest and most authentic pixel art right now. I tried the demo during the last Steam demo event and it wouldn't have been looked out of place as a SNK or Irem arcade back in the 90s.

Holammer

Jan 3, 2019
This was already mentioned by another user on page 1 of this thread, but it's coming out tomorrow as I post this. It's an 8-bit Metal Gear parody game called UnMetal. The developer previously made an action RPG called Unepic which I really like and this seems to have the same dumb lowbrow humor.

Comes out on all the platforms September 28'th.

MachRc

Mar 19, 2021
The Last Night

geez we've been waiting
4 year now....

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Mar 18, 2012
Unsighted releases tomorrow. Have a feeling it's going to be good. ^_^b

Think my favorite pixel artish game I really liked was Panzer Paladin.

Last edited:

SirTerry-T

Dec 4, 2018
U.K
A reminder that Steel Assault launches September 28'th, on PC & Switch.
Quite possibly one of the finest and most authentic pixel art right now. I tried the demo during the last Steam demo event and it wouldn't have been looked out of place as a SNK or Irem arcade back in the 90s.

That looks like an Amiga Spaceballs "State Of The Art" demo reference at the 0:22 second mark....

Reactions: Holammer

Holammer

Jan 3, 2019
So there's a new Steam NEXT event with tons of new demos.
First game I tried was Transiruby, a pixelart metroidvania with some real heavy Cave Story vibes. Stopped playing it after the first boss and wishlisted it.
I particularly like how animation and movement actually follows the pixel grid and does not go sub-pixel. Some elements like text are higher resolution which sucks. But nothing a little ReShade can't fix.
Coming this autumn for PC and Switch later.

Jack Uzi

Dec 4, 2020
One thing i dislike about these kinda threads are the people not putting names next to the games.

Great thread otherwise