• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pilotwings 64 is the next N64 game coming to Switch Online

Pilotwings 64 is one if those N64 games, such as Goldeneye and Turok, that people remember as being good. They aren't. And they never were.

Don't believe me? Go fire up the N64 and play Pilotwings or Goldeneye and honestly tell me that it's a quality videogame. It's not possible.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
Pilotwings 64 is one if those N64 games, such as Goldeneye and Turok, that people remember as being good. They aren't. And they never were.

Don't believe me? Go fire up the N64 and play Pilotwings or Goldeneye and honestly tell me that it's a quality videogame. It's not possible.
Youre Wrong The West Wing GIF

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
Hot take: Goldeneye has aged worse than Pilotwings 64.
True and not really a hot take at all.

Goldeneye is just one in a sea of shooters that came after.

Pilotwings 64 is it's own thing and hasn't been done quite the same since.

Leave it up to someone who likes Nintendo baby games like Captain Toad to not appreciate when they made real games.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member

In the case of Turok and Goldeneye, it does not apply here.

Last edited:

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
Playing. This actually looks great.

The first time Nintendo ever did more than the bare minimum with emulation.

But can you allow for full-screen next time? Holy shit.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Pilotwings 64 has hit Nintendo Switch via the Online Expansion Pack! But how'ds it hold up? Find out in our in-depth review!

0:00 Intro
0:39 60 Frames Per Second BOOST POWER
1:25 Aged Visuals
2:48 Controls & Feel
3:46 Gameplay & Vehicles
4:58 Rad Music
5:08 Replay Value
5:52 Verdict

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Impressive-looking port. Kudos to Nintendo for doing something extra this time. It'd be nice to get a modern one.

Chukhopops

Replaying the jetpack and birdman parts made me really nostalgic. The game looks like a 96 game and the flying model is really simplistic but it’s still as fun as it was on the N64.

Didn’t remember it was that short.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill

golden eye has a cod like control set up.. game holds up. pilotwings is still chill to play. fuck turok lol

jaysius

Banned
If you’re excited by the release of an old ROM then here’s something else to excite you.

painting GIF by Mina Mir
Glow Up Make-Up GIF by BBC Three

Last edited:

Ristifer

Vince Vaughn GIF

I did. I enjoyed hte hell out of it and I never played the game as a kid. Never owned an N64 growing up.

But then again, you are a warrior so I shouldn’t be surprised to see idiotic posts such as this from you.

nkarafo

I kinda prefer the low-res N64 look for this game. Bumping the resolution so high only shows how poor the texturing and even the modeling is. This is not Banjo-Kazooie.

It also looks like they tried to upscale the textures using AI? Dunno, that's the impression i get because the textures look a bit messy.

The softness of the original could be emulated even at higher-resolutions if they used decent emulation, like how Parallel RDP can emulate all N64 filters. This one looks as sharp as a PC game though. To be fair, Parallel RDP is a demanding solution that the Switch probably couldn't handle.

IMO, they should have kept a lower resolution (480p at most) and maybe an optional CRT shader (a proper one, not just a bunch of horizontal lines over the picture) to make it look good enough on high-res displays. The frame rate update is always a good thing as well.

JimboJones

It's nice to see some effort being put into these, even if it is pretty bare minimum. Still not enough value to get me to buy into the expansion service.

jaysius

Banned
It's nice to see some effort being put into these, even if it is pretty bare minimum. Still not enough value to get me to buy into the expansion service.
What do you mean!!?? This is like the SECOND rom they added in months, there’s so much value in that expansion service. /s

Top Bottom