• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pilot threatening to intentionally crash small plane into Mississippi Walmart, police say

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
How do you even respond against a situation like this? The range of a plane makes pretty much anything a possible target within a massive distance.
Things we know: guy threatened to crash it into Walmart. Guy ends up safely crashlanding in a field.

I think what happened in between was de-escalation through communication with the guy in the air. Hasn't been confirmed, to my knowledge. But sounds like the right way to handle it.

A backup plan would be to scramble a fighter to shoot it down over an unpopulated area. And a preemptive plan would be to better restrict access to planes in the first place.

Last edited:

Thaedolus

Gold Member
Did he do us all a favor and take out the Walmart? For all we know they were selling The Last of Us Part I for $70 in there!

daffyduck

Things we know: guy threatened to crash it into Walmart. Guy ends up safely crashlanding in a field.
I think what happened in between was de-escalation through communication with the guy in the air...
Or it was an idle threat.
A backup plan would be to scramble a fighter to shoot it down over an unpopulated area. And a preemptive plan would be to better restrict access to planes in the first place.
Restrict access to planes over populated areas? Then good luck finding somewhere to fly. And do we really want even *more* nanny government restrictions?

Last edited:

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
Or it was an idle threat.

Restrict access to planes over populated areas? Then good luck finding somewhere to fly. And do we really want even *more* nanny government restrictions?
Maybe it was. I'm really curious as to the guy's true motives and intention.

Restrict access to them on the ground is what I meant. I didn't say it was a realistic solution. I intended to imply the opposite really. I maybe should have implied less and explicated more.

Top Bottom