• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pikmin 3 - Nintendo at their weirdest and best

VGEsoterica

Nintendo always seems to do one of two things...either iterate and improve on their existing and amazing franchises (Odyssey, Breath of the Wild, Mario Kart 8) or they come out of left field with a game so new and different for them that it almost feels "not Nintendo". (Pikmin, Splatoon, Captain Toad)

On paper Pikmin seems like it shouldn't work. Lead a bunch of different colored plant men around in a world that's oversized and focus on collecting "exotic" items that are just every day things? I mean it sounds interesting but hard to see a lot of gameplay there.

In execution? I feel like only Nintendo could take a concept as simple as the above and turn it into a franchise that's so damn charming, unique, interesting to look at and actually challenging if you really break down the resource management mechanics of it all...and I feel like only Nintendo could take something so charming and simple and turn it into such a unique and addicting game and franchise.

Plus the fact Miyamoto came up with the idea when gardening? Fits the concept perfectly. I can 100% see him probably watching some ants move around and thinking "hmm...there's a game here somewhere"

That's why I love Nintendo. They somehow keep reinventing what they do and how they do it. Suddenly Splatoon 3 takes place in an apocalyptic setting? Bowser and Mario go kaiju big sized? Somehow a company that's been making video games from before I was born keeps managing to make these games that feel so inventive and new.

Really bummed that we didn't get any info from the most recent Nintendo direct though about Pikmin 4. Is that ever coming out? lol

Curious what everyone else's "other" Nintendo games are? or those games like Pikmin 3 that are so different it somehow makes them better? (Play L.O.L on Dreamcast if you like Pikmin. Trust me :)

MagnesG

Banned
Arms.

I sincerely think this is the start of a new staple for Nintendo. The original casts and designs are too good to be buried.
It sold well too, 2 mil as of 2019 for a new fighting game.

VGEsoterica

Arms.

I sincerely think this is the start of a new staple for Nintendo. The original casts and designs are too good to be buried.
It sold well too, 2 mil as of 2019 for a new fighting game.

It was definitely an intriguing game. I wonder if we will ever see more of it?

VGEsoterica

I think Nintendo does weird misunderstood games (Pikman, Toad, etc.) right I can’t really see a SONY or Microsoft pulling off Pikman.
Def not Microsoft. I don’t know that they’ve ever made a truly “weird concept” game?

Sony does some intriguing stuff but not quite to the level of Nintendo

gradient

Resident Cheap Arse
Pikmin is a fine example of Nintendo's YOLO approach to new IPs

They keep a stable of solid franchises to keep the fans satisfied and pay the bills, but when it comes to releasing a new franchise they're an anomaly in that they're willing to just veer left and throw out something wild. Doesn't always work, but I admire that they try and are still willing to take those risks.

When it does work though... you get wins like Pikmin. Grade A, bat-shit crazy, unique, "how did I not realize I needed this in my life", gold.

Such fun games and yet so conflicting with the "aww cute", "look at my little guys", "squad is strong" aesthetic which hides the stress, mass murder and existential horror that lies beneath.

Lovely games. Brilliant games. Traumatizing games.

Last edited:
I love so much of Nintendo stuff, especially Mario and Zelda, but I didn't really like this game. It wasn't bad, but I found it kind of tedious and boring. Same with Animal Crossing.

VGEsoterica

Pikmin is a fine example of Nintendo's YOLO approach to new IPs

They keep a stable of solid franchises to keep the fans satisfied and pay the bills, but when it comes to realeasing a new franchise they're an anomaly in that they're willing to just veer left and throw out something wild. Doesn't always work, but I admire that they try and are still willing to take those risks.

When it does work though... you get wins like Pikmin. Grade A, bat-shit crazy, unique, "how did I not realize I needed this in my life", gold.

Such fun games and yet so conflicting with the "aww cute", "look at my little guys", "squad is strong" aesthetic which hides the stress, mass murder and existential horror that lies beneath.

Lovely games. Brilliant games. Traumatizing games.
Exactly. The stable of consistent selling franchises they have allow them to throw a Hail Mary on new stuff and see if it works. They can afford a miss here and there

you put it perfectly

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
My Pikmin experience is sadly limited to the Pikmin game in Nintendo Land. Which is pretty damn fun in co-op, for what it's worth, but I need to go further one of these days and try the real thing.

Gifmaker

Let me be quite clear here: Pikmin 3 is, in my opinion, the best strategy game I ever played. It's just so playful. It actually makes strategy and micromanagement more enjoyable than stressing, and in multiplayer, it's just a blast. The only things missing from Pikmin 3 for multiplayer [or sp challenges for that matter] are randomized level layouts and online play, which would make this package about perfect. This is what I hope to see in Pikmin 4.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
I think Nintendo does weird misunderstood games (Pikman, Toad, etc.) right I can’t really see a SONY or Microsoft pulling off Pikman.

Captain Toad and Luigi's Mansion are my favorite weird spin-offs. I probably enjoyed them more than their mainline-series counterparts this generation.

JimboJones

I love so much of Nintendo stuff, especially Mario and Zelda, but I didn't really like this game. It wasn't bad, but I found it kind of tedious and boring. Same with Animal Crossing.
Same, just didn't grab me plus it was a rare occasion where the 30fps despite being fairly smooth just felt wrong for this game aswell. I did get it free from Nintendo when they where desperate to get people buying WiiU's so at least I didn't waste money on it.

Kuranghi

Your voice should be prescribed as an anti anxiolytic, so soothing, is there a video where you shouted really loud/aggressively? I'd be intrigued to hear what that sounds like :lollipop_tears_of_joy:

VGEsoterica

Your voice should be prescribed as an anti anxiolytic, so soothing, is there a video where you shouted really loud/aggressively? I'd be intrigued to hear what that sounds like :lollipop_tears_of_joy:
Lolol find me any time I hurt myself. The string of obscenities I’ll let out are Shakespearean in nature if Shakespeare swore constantly.

honestly it’s all I can do not to swear sometimes when I talk about games

VGEsoterica

Let me be quite clear here: Pikmin 3 is, in my opinion, the best strategy game I ever played. It's just so playful. It actually makes strategy and micromanagement more enjoyable than stressing, and in multiplayer, it's just a blast. The only things missing from Pikmin 3 for multiplayer [or sp challenges for that matter] are randomized level layouts and online play, which would make this package about perfect. This is what I hope to see in Pikmin 4.

I just hope to see Pikmin 4 before Christmas. I mean Nintendo said it was in the works but we haven’t seen/heard anything since then

ReBurn

Gold Member
I skipped Pikmin 3 on Wii U but I've really enjoyed it on Switch. The multitasking gets to be a bit much sometimes.

Last edited:
The Wii U version is breathtaking. Only thing I had a problem with was forced game pad and you couldn’t bring the map up with the Wii remote.

Top Bottom