• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pikmin 3 Deluxe looks like ass

KemoSabe

Fuck it's only 30fps on Switch...
Lazy Nintendo at its best...

I pre-ordered the game for 39€ but even that seems to be too expensive now.
Better dig up my wiiu and play it on there

BlackTron

If the graphics aren't any better, I would have expected at least 1080.

I still have my WiiU copy but never finished the game. I was tempted to get the Switch version for the sake of convenience, having a game on Switch seems incredibly conducive to actually playing and finishing it.

But they make it such a lame deal. It's really cool this version exists but I'm not paying full price. This is the type of game I wait to get it used in a banged up case.

Reallink

5-10 million Nintendrones still going to hand them $60 for it, why should they do any more when the market happily supports it? What's their incentive to?

Last edited:

Birdo

Banned
Come the fuck on with this.

*Comes on*

pikmin3deluxe.jpg

Yes. This is a triple-a game releasing in 2020......

*Comes on*

pikmin3deluxe.jpg

If it was 20$ I would be cool with it.

60$ No graphical upgrades AT ALL and sub 720 handheld? Yeesh.

I tried the demo and ya the game is still great but it is noticebly blurry in handheld mode - and the game wasn't exactly sharp to begin with.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Portable mode looks noticeably worse, docked looks marginally worse, this is supposed to be the deluxe edition of a 7 year old game and costs $50.

Mate, it is not very noticeable at all unless you comb over the screenshots trying to find every minute little difference. Hell, we have both Switch and Wii Screenshots and you can't really tell which one is which. Let alone seeing the game actually running, where those differences are even *less* noticeable.

Its obvious you have a massive hate boner for Nintendo and want to try to make mountains out of molehills, but c'mon. There are better things to call Ninty out on. This is just sheer desperation on your end.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Hell I have a Gamecube and the first two came out for that. Should I get those instead? Which is t best game in the series?

-Arcadia-

Banned
*Comes on*

pikmin3deluxe.jpg

Eh. As Nintendo’s first real HD game, Pikmin 3 has aged somewhat, and the Switch resolution is ridiculous, but so is cherry-picking screenshots of a zoomed, top-down strategy game to present it in its worst possible light, to defend an equally asinine statement (looks like a PSP/PS2 game).

For what it is, it’s a nice looking game, esp. in motion with all the waving foliage and bustle, and has a bit of that Nintendo timelessness.

MrMephistoX

As long as the game sells Nintendo don't care. They will probably half-ass Zelda anniversary next year too since 3D All-Stars sold well.

Well I mean the Wii U ports of Wind Waker and TP should be perfect as is but I’m hoping they don’t cheap out and just emulate the N64 versions instead of the superior 3DS remasters. Double for just not bothering and leaving Skyward Sword out of the package or making it Joycon required.

EDIT: this is probably happening who am I kiddin?

Last edited:

McCheese

Its obvious you have a massive hate boner for Nintendo and want to try to make mountains out of molehills, but c'mon. There are better things to call Ninty out on. This is just sheer desperation on your end.

They refused to refund me as it preloaded the game the day it went on sale, on behalf of all consumers, especially here in the EU where they are fighting our refund laws, fuck 'em.

Soodanim

Gold Member
I want to clarify: did Pokemon get removed from Wii U Shop, only to be sold on Switch Shop at 3x the cost but with little to no improvements?

Switch have been a lackluster on overall :messenger_angry: ( Yes it sell well on certain countries, but being popular doesnt make things objectively good. Kardashians are popular yet they are just what they are)

Yes, Nintendo fans always defend it and praise, but it is just over priced hardware with lazy ass ports and after whatever years their launch year games are still kind of the only really good ones on it, and half of those are wii u ports. Just look at the sales reports, same 5-10 games still sell for full price after years, because Switch doesn't have enough 3rd party support and their first party games are only even remotely quality games.

Sure, people have the right to enjoy their games on any system, but defending Nintendo like everything they do is perfect and it's practices is just naive.

Like anything with Mario = cant have anything wrong with it.

Mario odyssey were the most boring, depressing and repetitive game I have played in 10 years, pure boredom and zero fun(friend thinks the same). Yet people say it is perfect and deserves 10/10. Because it is for nintendo + have mario. same game with different looking characters on ps4/xbox would get 7/10

My point is that yes, this pikmin looks like shit, and runs on damn low res in the same time. You can enjoy it but dont defend it like it would be good looking game and good port, it is not. And gamers would deserve more!

Nintendo is the problem of the gaming industry.

Their "free out of jail because of nostalgia & mario pass" just limits what they could be, if people would demand more, instead of buying anything they sell.

Like, why wouldnt they literally copy&paste same games when they sell like crazy and people praise them and cant admit any faults?

Just imagine a big gaming media having journalist that hated game like mario odyssey or mario kart?

Just imagine this person giving 7/10 to mario game with logical explanation to back it up

fanboys would hunt and kill them like terminators.

So it is the silent rule of gaming industry, never give low scores to certain Nintendo games or they are doomed.

Nintendo is basically like that super hot girl, she never have to build a good personality because she gets everything she wants just by her looks, and people tend not to say critical things to her anyway. No critique and only horny people praising how perfect she is. And if someone says that her personality is shit, they get attacked.

(I liked Botw but it isnt perfect game, I liked mario+rabbids and xenoblade 2. But those arent perfect either)

Last edited:

me0wish

Hell I have a Gamecube and the first two came out for that. Should I get those instead? Which is t best game in the series?
2 is my personal favorite, it has the highest amount of content, and it's the most challenging. 3 is the tightest, it's the most creative with its fantastic level design and has the best mechanics, it's the most "perfect" Pikmin game, making it the best place to start the series imo.

Start with Pikmin 1 if you don't mind slightly stupid AI that can make the game frustrating at times.
Start with 2 if you can only buy one game, and you want it to be the most "meaty" and challenging.
Start with 3 if you want the most enjoyable Pikmin experience for newcomers. It is also highly replayable with it's extra modes.

Even Nintendo GAF isn't defending this port.
That actually makes me sad, they'd defend Mario crappy collection, but not Pikmin 3.

me0wish

• 3 games
  • 60 bucks
  • the port isn't worse than the original

I wonder why.

I'd say that Sunshine and Galaxy both control worse than the original, making them inferior to the original.

The whole situation is a shit show imo, yet they keep selling like crazy, I don't expect this to end soon.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
They refused to refund me as it preloaded the game the day it went on sale, on behalf of all consumers, especially here in the EU where they are fighting our refund laws, fuck 'em.

Which is a genuinely shitty thing to do. Why are you focusing so much on non-issues instead of this?

This would have made for a better and more engaging thread with genuine reasons for concern over what you originally posted.

McCheese

Which is a genuinely shitty thing to do. Why are you focusing so much on non-issues instead of this?

This would have made for a better and more engaging thread with genuine reasons for concern over what you originally posted.

Cheers for feedback, I guess I felt the game being a lazy port was the underlying issue here, the refund only became an issue because I wanted to refund in the first place after playing the demo.

But i can see why the port is only subjectively bad, and the inability to refund at all for this game is probably something we all agree is bad.

I have no idea which issue Nintendo is more likely to act upon but my guess is neither. Nintendo seem very disconnected from its fans most of the time.

Last edited:

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
I thought the demo was ok, didn't look too terrible to me. I'm passing on this game because i hate the timed mechanic of having to get everything done before the sun sets and i lose my Pikmin. Think they should make the next one without the timer so it's a more relaxing experience.

Last edited:

Ulysses 31

I thought the demo was ok, didn't look too terrible to me. I'm passing on this game because i had the timed mechanic of having to get everything done before the sun sets and i lose my Pikmin. Think they should make the next one without the timer so it's a more relaxing experience.
You can take multiple days as long as you have fruit juice. :lollipop_grinning:

You don't lose your pikmin if you have them at the ship or with the commanders I think, the commanders auto return.

Last edited:

PanzerAzel

I.....honestly have no idea what the issue is?

I just tried the demo and the game looks and runs perfectly fine. Perhaps these old eyes are failing me, but the game’s a beaut. Comes with extra modes as well (mission, boss and timed mode). This is well worth the cash to me and it does not strike me at all like a lazy port.

Glad I tried it for myself and that there was a demo or this thread might’ve convinced me to hold off. After the demo though, day fucking one.

Anyone who bought a Wii U, including myself, were fucking delusional at the time.

So no, your or my recollection of what happened during those 4 years is unreliable.
I hated the Wii U for a couple of years.
That changed abruptly when I had my kids coming into video game playing age.

It's a god send for that.
And after gaming you can even let them watch something on Netflix on it while you watch something on your tv.

BlackTron

I've been playing the demo and I have to say the performance is really distracting. It's been a long time since I played the WiiU version but I remember being really impressed back then...I'm playing it docked on the same TV and I don't remember the player characters looking like there was vaseline smeared over them. When I saw the screenshots here I thought it wouldn't be a big deal, but in motion the game is kind of ugly.

Or to put it more accurately, it's a beautiful game full of Nintendo charm that runs like shit. No way am I paying sixty bucks for this.

Polygonal_Sprite

Gold Member
I.....honestly have no idea what the issue is?

I just tried the demo and the game looks and runs perfectly fine. Perhaps these old eyes are failing me, but the game’s a beaut. Comes with extra modes as well (mission, boss and timed mode). This is well worth the cash to me and it does not strike me at all like a lazy port.

Glad I tried it for myself and that there was a demo or this thread might’ve convinced me to hold off. After the demo though, day fucking one.

I think some people (myself included) are just disappointed that there are no visual improvement like most WiiU to Switch ports which usually go from 720p on WiiU to 1080p or at least 900p when docked on Switch. This game with its tiny characters would have greatly benefited from a 40% pixel boost at 900p or a 100+% pixel boost at 1080p. Higher quality textures would have also been great since Switch has 2GB’s more RAM compared to WiiU but I personally wasn’t expecting that.

I think the issue is they wanted to add in co-op for the campaign and when essentially running the game twice at the same time they just couldn’t increase the rendering resolution. I don’t think they wanted a downgrade in visuals when people wanted to play it co-op compared to single player so they just decided to keep it at 720p in both modes.

I agree with you that in terms of extra modes and content it’s one of the better WiiU to Switch ports.

Top Bottom