• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pikmin 3 Deluxe looks like ass

McCheese

I used one of my NSO vouchers (before it expired) to pre-order this the day it went up no the eshop , I think I owned it on the Wii U but didn't play it much of it for reasons I don't really remember, but anyhow, they did such a good job with Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (1080p/60fps, all the DLC, new modes) that I had no real concerns double dipping. I love these games, and I want to support more Pikmin games in the future, and purple fat pikmin is my dude.

Earlier this week when I heard demo progress would carry over, I figured I'd take my time with the opening demo levels and make a leisurely head start.

Fucking hell Nintendo, what are you doing?

This looks awful! and nothing like the promotional videos they put out for it. I'm also unable to refund it as it preloaded the game months ago due to it being done (sic) and just sat around to fill a release calendar gap, so it cannot be argued they had to rush this game out.

So let's talk numbers, really really low numbers. It runs at 720p 30fps docked, which is shite by itself - but then it has a load of post-processing effects that run at sub-resolution. I don't play on the largest screen (41") but it's borderline unplayable due to how distracting the jaggies are, and how so much detail is lost due to the terrible image quality. The game is literally about looking at lots of little characters on the screen, and yet you can't even see their little antenas in the distance, and every single edge has ugly stair-casing on it.

I dug the Wii U out of it's grave and loaded the old version, and.. it looks better, the Wii U version has anti-aliasing, runs at the same resolution AND powered the second screen; on a weaker GPU.

Oh well maybe it looks better undocked?

Nope, resolution drops yet again to 540p, and some frame buffer-effects are now running at a lower resolution than the N64.

The only thing I can think of is they don't know how to do dynamic resolution, so due to the drop-in/out split screen mode they just knee-capped the whole game, but even the UI is sub-resolution, they didn't even bother updating the UI so at least that could be native.

What the fuck happened with Nintendo this generation? From "Deluxe" editions that were actually great, to that Zelda with shitty framerates, then their "all stars, zero effort" emulation collection, and now this.

It's a serious question too, are they unable to work remotely due to covid and this is the result? is the new CEO focused more on margins than releasing polished games? Something is very rotten about 2020 Nintendo, and I hope it's not the new norm.

Then I remembered purple pikmin isn't even in the fucking game.

Last edited:

jigglet

Banned
I don't want to defend Nintendo, cause they deserve it 99% of the time (especially considering how bad the 3D collection was), but if there was any genre which would push a system to its limits it's an RTS.

Take for instance Red Alert (the original from 25 years ago). That can still make the most expensive processor in the world (the 10900k) weep, if you build up a large enough army.

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
That’s funny I played the demo and thought it looked amazing. Art design alone is just next level.

Was surprised the resolution was so low. But the game looks really nice to me, honest injun

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
And NFS hot pursuit looks stunning, i think its the sharpest looking game on the switch. I have no idea how Nintendo can put out their own stuff so lazily.

Because it sells enough to their fans and they think their fanbase would not buy more copies if they pushed the game further than they did... then if it sells poorly, it is because the formula is stale and people do not want Pikmin games, etc...

Polygonal_Sprite

Gold Member
There’s no excuse for this not to be 1080p when docked. I can’t even begin to understand why they wouldn’t take the week of effort it would take to do this. It’s not as if the whole companies development teams are swamped with work to get lots of new games out before the end of this year.

This happens because most people will buy it and not care. I’m annoyed as I’ve already bought it using my second eshop voucher. I doubt there’s a way to cancel it?

JimboJones

You don't think it's possible a day one patch will increase the resolution or add in DRS?
It's possible but I doubt it, seems pretty bare bones update and they know pikmin isn't a big seller so they probably don't care that much.
Looking at videos it does seem it's missing some kind of smaa/fxaa and it's a shame it's not at the very least 900p docked, 720p handheld.

SCB3

I don't understand how Wii U ports are worse on Switch, everything suggests that it should be much better, I can kinda get the 3D all stars not being uprezzed to at least preserve what the originals looked like (still no excuse why Galaxy 2 is not included) but fucking Pikmin?

Makes no sense and I bet it sells

Jose92

[Membe
Well figures it is 720p on the switch but locked to 30fps with no frame drops

Pikmin 3 Deluxe demo frame rate test showing the framerate/fps on Nintendo Switch.

The version tested was 1.0.0. Footage is from the game running in docked mode.

Docked mode renders at a resolution of 1280x720.

Portable mode renders at a resolution of 1024x576.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
5235799.jpg

Gloomnivore

I always thought some of the textures looked rough on Wii U back when PS4 and Xbox One weren’t out.

Dat fruit though. I couldn’t stay mad at it.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Right now...

giphy.gif
1st party games are on the right and Switch, 720p (and below) and DRS is on the left. Well, just in case if anyone wonders.

One can only hope that rumored new Switch model will be like...

giphy.gif
Wha-a-at...? Don't tell me a man cannot dream :/

Kokoloko85

I only played the Wii U version and thought the art direction and look was lovely...
Is the FPS and Graphics downgraded for Switch?

JimboJones

I only played the Wii U version and thought the art direction and look was lovely...
Is the FPS and Graphics downgraded for Switch?
No it looks and performs the same which is the issue as Switch should be able to up the resolution a bit at the very least.
But if your ok with identical WiiU performance/image quality then you should be happy.

Kokoloko85

No it looks and performs the same which is the issue as Switch should be able to up the resolution a bit at the very least.
But if your ok with identical WiiU performance/image quality then you should be happy.

Thats cool. Yeah I don’t think the Switch is much more powerful than the Wii U. Its like the portable Wii U. Like how the Wii was only a bit stronger than the Gamecube

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit

Gamers: “We want a Mario 3D collection on switch!”
Nintendo: “Done.”
Gamers: “This is stupid! Lazy Nintendo, you just gave us a collection of moderately improved ports!”

Gamers: “We want Pikmin 3 on switch so we can play it on the go!”
Gamers: “This is just a port! You suck Nintendo!”

Nintendo: “???”

There are plenty of reasons to shit on Nintendo, but the bitching about Pikmin 3 and Mario 3D Allstars has got to be some of the dumbest shit.

Last edited:

replicant-

This isn't being controversial sake, but with the exception of a handful of games, I think the Switch has been average - poor.

The icing on the cake being the lazy emulation of the Mario games.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Gamers: “This is stupid! Lazy Nintendo!”

Gamers: “We want Pikmin 3 on switch!”

There are plenty of reasons to shit on Nintendo, but the bitching about Pikmin 3 and Mario 3D Allstars has got to be some of the dumbest shit.

There is a gulf between doing something vs doing something exceptionally well. Is this a kind of “you get a golden trophy for reaching the finish line at all” argument now?

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Gamers: “This is stupid! Lazy Nintendo, you just gave us a collection of not even moderately improved roms!”

Nintendo: “Done. That would be 60$ plus tip. Also, no more 20$ Pikmin 3 on Wii U.”

Gamers: “???”
There. Fixed it a little bit for you.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Gamers: “This is stupid! Lazy Nintendo, you just gave us a collection of moderately improved ports!”

I'm not a gamer then, because I keep yelling: "Stop the fucking ports, remasters, collections and remakes, make new games!"

yeah I think it sticks out as looking like ass because most of the time when a new Pikmin comes out it is pushing the hardware hard to show off nice graphics this being an old port is not really a great idea without an upgrade in graphics imo. Not buying.

Last edited:

Dampf

I agree. This just saddens me that Nintendo's recent ports are so low effort when much more was possible.

Pikmin 3 deserved higher resolution textures, native 1080p and other effects improved. Instead it's just the bare minimum...again.

Astral Dog

I don't want to defend Nintendo, cause they deserve it 99% of the time (especially considering how bad the 3D collection was), but if there was any genre which would push a system to its limits it's an RTS.

Take for instance Red Alert (the original from 25 years ago). That can still make the most expensive processor in the world (the 10900k) weep, if you build up a large enough army.
He says that even the Wii U version looked better 😳 if true this is one of the worst Switch ports it SHOULD get at least a resolution upgrade, or framerate like Bayo

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Eesh that sounds bad OP, I'm sorry. But thank you for the heads up, I was thinking about getting this.

Fbh

It's Nintendo.

It's like the lazy late ports of stuff we sometimes get on PC where it's just s basic resolution boost and there aren't even graphical options.
Except sold for $60 instead of $15-20

LordOfChaos

How did they even do that? The Switch usually runs 720p Wii u ports at 900p, and the undocked mode is usually good enough for Wii U performance.

Honestly Nintendo is often very cheap and user hostile but gets too much love for anyone to say it.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
There. Fixed it a little bit for you.

Lol not even close. Claiming the ports aren’t moderately improved versions of what we had before is objectively false. You should have instead focused on the limited time nature of the release. That is the real issue and a completely shitty thing to do by Nintendo.

As for Pikmin, you can still buy the physical version for sub-20 and have been able to for years at this point for Wii U. Tons of copies out in the wild with very few people buying them as the Wii U was a failed console with little to no player base.
I don’t blame Nintendo for porting a game most didn’t play for full price. That goes for 99% of the Wii U ports. For the majority of folks they are essentially brand new games.

Last edited:

McCheese

There's a free demo if you ever really cared to get it for Switch. 👀

Yup, at least they put a demo out. But too late for anybody to refund due to the game preloading over a month ago. again, promotional screenshots have anti-aliasing or some sort of post-effect blur applied, so folks should really try the demo out before buying.

This could have been the best version, but as it stands the Wii U version has both better controls, and more pleasant visuals due to the anti-aliasing.

Did they put the Wii U version back on the eshop yet? It makes sense why they removed it now.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
I'm not a gamer then, because I keep yelling: "Stop the fucking ports, remasters, collections and remakes, make new games!"
I would agree, but when there are loud and numerous folks demanding ports and remasters, Nintendo would be silly to not to make easy money. Same goes for any dev or publisher in that position.

For Months in the Nintendo OT people have been demanding a 3D allstars as a recent example.

Last edited:
Top Bottom