• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Piano |OT| Martha Argerich simps GET ITT

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
There is no dedicated discussion thread regarding piano playing, so here we go.

I started earlier this year after wanting to do it for probably good 15-20 years. Thought if I won't now I never will, so got myself a piano, a teacher, asserted my dominance to my wife:

"We have no space!"
"Sorry-not-sorry, piano is coming in 2 days, it goes over there, the chair goes to the other room, I buy you new pair of shoes, k?"

Since then I have been playing 30-60 minutes a day and I have to tell you playing an instrument is fucking dedication. All of you nerds - no idea how you did it as a child or a teen, probably your parents forced you and now you are extremely grateful.

Working right now through Méthode Rose (think Faber or Alfred, but popular in France), Hanon (finger exercises) and Für Elise (the whole thing, not the intro) - I gave up on Chopin Op.20 Nocturne in C-Minor, that thing was destroying me.

What are you doing with your life?

Play Music Piano GIF by BLKBOK

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I've been playing since I was 5 or so (37 now...). Just started playing on my own on my mom's piano, by ear, which is how I've taught myself most of what I know. I've had some lessons over the years, but always hated it. I just want to play because it's fun. That means that my technique is probably pretty shit, but I have a good ear for melodies and harmonies. I'm not in the business of playing Chopin anyway. More of a rock keyboard player (progressive rock/metal is my jam).

Unfortunately I never had a real piano of my own, can't fit that, so it's all digital for me.

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
I've been playing since I was 5 or so (37 now...). Just started playing on my own on my mom's piano, by ear, which is how I've taught myself most of what I know. I've had some lessons over the years, but always hated it. I just want to play because it's fun. That means that my technique is probably pretty shit, but I have a good ear for melodies and harmonies. I'm not in the business of playing Chopin anyway. More of a rock keyboard player (progressive rock/metal is my jam).

Unfortunately I never had a real piano of my own, can't fit that, so it's all digital for me.
On one hand I envy you having played for more than 3 decades, on the other hand you have shit taste in music and don't play classical so why bother?

I kid, I kid, I want to play some Final Fantasy and Metallica pieces later - the main issue for me is hunting down officially licensed or composed arrangements for music not originally written for the piano, it's always tricky.

You sure you can't fit an upright? It's mostly only a few centimeters more than digital - my digital is 136cm in length since I am really limited by space (and I was not sure I will stick with it so didn't want to go all out on the Novus 5S), but vast majority of uprights are 145-155cm in length.

Unless you mean a grand piano, then you know what to do...

200.gif

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
On one hand I envy you having played for more than 3 decades, on the other hand you have shit taste in music and don't play classical so why bother?

I kid, I kid, I want to play some Final Fantasy and Metallica pieces later - the main issue for me is hunting down officially licensed or composed arrangements for music not originally written for the piano, it's always tricky.

You sure you can't fit an upright? It's mostly only a few centimeters more than digital - my digital is 136cm in length since I am really limited by space (and I was not sure I will stick with it so didn't want to go all out on the Novus 5S), but vast majority of uprights are 145-155cm in length.

Unless you mean a grand piano, then you know what to do...

200.gif

I can read sheet music, but I'm absolute shit at sight reading. Just never practiced it enough. I'm a "by ear" kinda musician. I do occasionally look up sheet music for things I can't quite figure out on my own, and then I slowly work my way through it until I've learned it.

Sure, I theoretically could fit an upright. Getting it into the apartment might be the bigger issue. And then the neighbors hating me would be the next one, lol.

Last edited:

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
Sure, I theoretically could fit an upright. Getting it into the apartment might be the bigger issue. And then the neighbors hating me would be the next one, lol.
Same here, my current piano is a Roland F-701, really nice. My end goal is a grand piano probably in 10 years time, so in 2-3 I would like to buy something 'in the middle'.

My teacher is pushing me for an acoustic with a silent system, but I don't think it makes sense at all. Will probably go for a hybrid like a Novus or high-end Clavinova. 90% of my time plays is with headphones, either at 6am or 10pm.

Last edited:

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
I most likely found a piano for next year - Kawai CA-901, looks like top of the line hybrid with wooden keys and at the same time will fit into my current apartment.

Progressing nicely, although sometimes I don’t realise it, I sit down to the piece I gave up on 3 months ago and can play it with no trouble.

Martha Argerich cancelled for the second time, going to listen to Vikigur Olaffson, great replacement.

Davesky

I play daily around 20 minutes in the morning when I wake up then 20 minutes at night, usually a bit more. It’s amazing how good you can get by just playing an instrument everyday, far more than someone that practices for hours every odd day. I know myself if I haven’t played for two or three days it’s going to take me an hour to get back to the level I was playing at previously. Also any more than 30 minutes practice at once is generally a waste of time as the brain needs time to take in what you have learned.

Currently I’ve started practicing playing scales on both hands a major third apart from each other. It’s made my improv ability skyrocket as whatever I’m playing on one hand can continue the melody on the other and will almost always sound good.

I’ve been playing just over two years and main focus has been music theory, improvisation and ear training. Hoping within the next year to catch up in regards to expanding my repertoire and sight reading.

Last edited:

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
I play daily around 20 minutes in the morning when I wake up then 20 minutes at night, usually a bit more. It’s amazing how good you can get by just playing an instrument everyday, far more than someone that practices for hours every odd day. I know myself if I haven’t played for two or three days it’s going to take me an hour to get back to the level I was playing at previously. Also any more than 30 minutes practice at once is generally a waste of time as the brain needs time to take in what you have learned.
So much this, it’s incredible how playing a musical instrument is a definition of marginal gains adding to something greater. I play 30 minutes each morning and night, when I just wake up and the kids are sleeping and just before I go to bed. ‘I don’t have time’ is just an excuse for poor planning.

Found Kaer Morhen great theme for piano, looked at the sheet and I was like - huh, left hand is easy AF, same 3 chords rotating. Feel like a superhuman in moments like these.

TheDreadBaron

Gold Member
Congratulations on your continued progress! I always loved piano for the huge sound when playing big full harmonies, but I never was able to fully embrace the key interface. On stringed instruments there is a direct physical connection between your fingers and vibrating string which allows for some interesting techniques unavailable on piano. Playing a piano is classy as fuck though, rock on 🤘🏻

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
How is everyone?

Still at it, I moved to 30 minutes in the morning + 1 hour in the evening. Morning is sight reading, Hanon, harmonics (there are multiple books by Dandelot that teach hand independence), etc. Evening are pieces - mastering Prelude No.1 by Bach, and will probably start getting at either Schumann, Wiegenliedchen, Op. 124 No. 6 or Chopin, Waltz in A minor, B.150 however I have a suspicious that as everything Chopin this is too hard for my current level. I have been banging by head on the wall with C-sharp Minor of his - I cannot get the jumps from end 1/16th note to full octave right, the timing is insane.

Also started saving for my next year anniversary gift - going to get a Kawai CA-901 in the summer :)

Top Bottom