• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Physicists in China challenge Google’s ‘quantum advantage’

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Photon-based quantum computer does a calculation that ordinary computers might never be able to do.

In this way, Pan and colleagues could find solutions to the boson-sampling problem in 200 seconds. They estimate these would take 2.5 billion years to calculate on China’s TaihuLight supercomputer — a quantum advantage of around 10^14.

Reactions: eot
When quantum computers start hitting businesses and eventually commercial, the change to the world will be unimaginable.

The leap in console graphics alone will be a bigger difference than a Spectrum vs PS5

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
CCP also said they created fission energy. Wonder how many years of technology they stole to get this far?
It's not a way to go, at least not so far.

Something like molten salt reactor is.

When quantum computers start hitting businesses and eventually commercial, the change to the world will be unimaginable.

The leap in console graphics alone will be a bigger difference than a Spectrum vs PS5
Yeah it's incredible how much faster those computers are.

Fuck China and fuck the CCP. Free Hong Kong, Mongolia and Tibet.
I agree, but still, this is not thread about that. Please don't bring politics into my scientific things. *cough*
That's a reference please don't bring politics in to my vidya

MadAnon

Quantum computing is useful only for very specific computations. For your regular everyday use it couldn't be more useless.

eot

Banned
I'm fairly familiar with this work, I've visited their labs too, so I can probably answer any questions about it.
CCP also said they created fission energy. Wonder how many years of technology they stole to get this far?
China does have nuclear reactors yes :pie_eyeroll:

ManofOne

Plus Member
I'm fairly familiar with this work, I've visited their labs too, so I can probably answer any questions about it.

China does have nuclear reactors yes :pie_eyeroll:

Not like this.

MadAnon

You say that now but 20 years from now imagine that shit in your palm.
It's not about what it can do now vs what it could do in the future. The computation happens completely different compared to classical computers and there are only specific computation problems such system can theoretically speed up. For most tasks current computers do, quantum computer is no better and never will be. It's a common misconception that quantum computing will replace classical computing.

Last edited:

ManofOne

Plus Member
It's not about what it can do now vs what it could do in the future. The computation happens completely different compared to classical computers and there are only specific computation problems such system can theoretically speed up. For most tasks current computers do, quantum computer is no better and never will be. It's a common misconception that quantum computing will replace classical computing.

this I agree with but I still think it something that will evolve over time like most technology and by far exceed classical computing.

eot

Banned
Not like this.
You said fission, not fusion, and the article you linked talks about a research reactor. We've had fusion reactors for decades, they just don't produce more energy than we put into them. Well, we just hit the point where they about break even, but it's pretty far from producing energy.

ManofOne

Plus Member
You said fission, not fusion, and the article you linked talks about a research reactor. We've had fusion reactors for decades, they just don't produce more energy than we put into them. Well, we just hit the point where they about break even, but it's pretty far from producing energy.

Sorry typing on phone while in the tube. Thought I said fusion.

this I agree with but I still think it something that will evolve over time like most technology and by far exceed classical computing.

I sure hope you're right, but then there's going to have to be huge strides in the algorithmic side to open up these new use-cases because as of now we're pretty limited in application beyond things like Shor's algorithm, Grover's, etc. That said, Shor's alone on a reasonable error-corrected QC could totally up-end society and security.

I'm pretty much in agreement with MadAnon over the continued utility of conventional computation.

finowns

Kind of don’t believe them. If they can compete with all the start ups and researchers in California good on them.

Top Bottom