• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Physical edition of Stray launches at No.3 | UK Boxed Charts Splatoon 3 racks up third consecutive week at the top of the retail charts

reksveks

Stray was the highest selling new release of the past week, landing at No.3 in its debut week.
While the feline adventure was released digitally for PS5, PS4 and PC in July, Annapurna Interactive published a physical edition for PS5 last week. The game is also available to PlayStation Plus Extra subscribers at no additional cost.
The only other new release to enter the charts this week was Square Enix's fantasy strategy game The DioField Chronicle, which launched at No.17.

Splatoon remains the biggest selling boxed game of the week, racking up a third consecutive No.1 despite a 44% drop in sales.
Nintendo also took No.2 with Mario Kart 8 Deluxe rising one place, although sales were down 5% compared to last week.
Two games actually saw healthy rises in sales this week. Grand Theft Auto 5 sold 21% more units and rose from No.9 to No.5, and a retailer promotion boosted Lego Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga by 43%, up from No.18 to No.10.

Here is the GfK UK Boxed Top Ten for the week ending September 24:

Last WeekThis WeekTitle
11Splatoon 3
32Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
NEW3Stray
44Nintendo Switch Sports
95Grand Theft Auto 5
56Minecraft: Switch Edition
77Animal Crossing: New Horizons
28Horizon: Forbidden West
89Pokémon Legends: Arceus
1810Lego Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga

Estimates of #1 sales aka Splatoon sales numbers:

[Week 36, 2022] Splatoon 3 (Nintendo) - 25,500 / NEW
[Week 37, 2022] Splatoon 3 (Nintendo) - 10,200 / 35,700 (-60%)
[Week 38, 2022] Splatoon 3 (Nintendo) - 5.712 / 41.412 (-44%)

Jaybe

TLOU Part 1?

Confused High Quality GIF

It’s a joke. I see it at #12 in the full list.

Kupfer

Stray at #3 is impressive because the game already released digitally.

EDIT: And it's "free" in PS Extra!
This gives me hope that there are still many lovers of physical media who will slow down the lets-go-all-digital-train that is undoubtedly coming.
I'm waiting for my copies of Stray from iam8bit.com, which unfortunately will not be shipped until the fourth quarter.

TLOU Part 1?

It’s a joke. I see it at #12 in the full list.
TLOU PI 's price is a joke. We will see more players buying it @ 40€

Last edited:
Splatoon 3 is pretty great. Played all weekend basically. Splatfest, Tri-Battle Splatfest, two full reward tiers on Salmon Run. Still haven't finished the campaign or even tried Anarchy Battles. It's a meaty bitch.

#TeamGear

IDK what you guys are expecting. Same game besides graphics, only on PS5, price. Kinda expected.
Many more would have bought it at half the price. Their price strategy is simply killing their sales. People are simply buying others games instead and we are starting to see it as their last quarter results (first party YoY sales) was a disaster for them.

reksveks

Weekly is too granular, but if you're really looking for a "W" as the kids say then...ok?
???

What's the win? Stray at number 3? Splatoon at number 1?

Just very confused at what motivation you have taken from my boring op? There is a more of a L if anything.

Last edited:
Apparently it’s a slow burner and will take over the charts weeks on end once the live show launches. Everyone’s just waiting on it to make a purchase.
Why the sarcasm?

I mean...look at The Witcher, Cyberpunk, etc.

It always happens. It's not about "waiting for the TV show". It's about attracting people that never cared or weren't exposed to that world until now.

Gambit2483

Many more would have bought it at half the price. Their price strategy is simply killing their sales. People are simply buying others games instead and we are starting to see it as their last quarter results (first party YoY sales) was a disaster for them.
I look forward to getting this at the price it should've launched @ during Black Friday.

Why the sarcasm?

It always happens. It's not about "waiting for the TV show". It's about attracting people that never cared or weren't exposed to that world until now.

These guys always tell us how physical is dying and the charts tell us nothing, yet use physical charts to create a narrative.

Even if last of us was at no 1, it would only be 5000 physical copies. So they were right. Physical tells us nothing. Majority are buying digitally now.

MrA

Banned
Why the sarcasm?

Neither of those relied on a TV show, both were huge at launch and grew thanks to a steady stream of content and upgrades, the TV shows are an artifact of the games success

MOTM

Banned
Why the sarcasm?

Those games sold gangbusters at launch already. They didn’t start lighting the charts on fire only after the shows went live.

edit: I see MrA above already laid it out for you

Last edited:
Neither of those relied on a TV show, both were huge at launch and grew thanks to a steady stream of content and upgrades, the TV shows are an artifact of the games success

Those games sold gangbusters at launch already. They didn’t start lighting the charts on fire only after the shows went live.

edit: I see MrA above already laid it out for you
The Last of Us has sold over 20M copies between the PS3 and PS4 generations though?

yazenov

Stray charting at number 3 means that PS Plus Extra increases games sales? Best value in gaming indeed!

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Both Witcher 3 and Cyberpunk 2077 set new player count records when their Netflix Movie/TV show was released.

Cyberpunk was dead in the water and there's no doubt that the Netflix movie really helped this game out a lot. The Last of Us doesn't need to rely on the TV series, but it's easy to say that if the HBO series is successful, it will bring in more people to the franchise.

Top Bottom