• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer: What you will see on July 23 is true creative freedom

Eliciel

If they don't take the amount of shooter being put out there down a notch and bring forward the 3rd Person Adventures, Action RPGs, Story Driven Blockbusters I am going to have a problem.
I am not going to be impressed by 5 shooters come July 23rd...

MS need to not shit the bed with this. I want to see some real good looking exclusives.

I sat out this gen with xbox, I really want them to up their game and give me a reason to get their new console along with ps5
I am so disappointed in the direction of Xbox PR recently, that I am not expecting anything anymore. If they really were confident with their chances, their marketing would have been more honest.

pasterpl

I just wanna see Elden Ring man...pls
think that this Thursday event will be first party only. I expect

Halo Infinite
Halo Wars 3
gears tactics
gears 5 (xbsex remastered)
Age of Empires
Flight Simulator
Everwild
Forza M
Forza H
Maybe new Fable
hellblade 2
project Mara (at least a trailer)

but the show will be around 1h, and each game will get between 2-5 minutes so there might be lots of more teasers, trailers shown

ZywyPL

Banned
gears tactics
gears 5 (xbsex remastered)
Flight Simulator

I hope they won't show those three, it would be just a waste of time IMO, there are shitloads of trailers and gameplays from both Gears games already there's zero point in showing something that's already released, almost for a year in case Gears 5. FS while looks great is what the name says, a flight simulator, that's not what the console crowd is into, far from it. Some short 1-2min trailers might be OK, but with 60min for the entire event, you can show only so much gameplays, so every minute counts.

I hope they won't show those three, it would be just a waste of time IMO, there are shitloads of trailers and gameplays from both Gears games already there's zero point in showing something that's already released, almost for a year in case Gears 5. FS while looks great is what the name says, a flight simulator, that's not what the console crowd is into, far from it. Some short 1-2min trailers might be OK, but with 60min for the entire event, you can show only so much gameplays, so every minute counts.

I think they might show Flight Sim but not the rest as they are rather old.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!

Gears Tactics will definitley get some time as I think its a given it will be a launch title on Series X. As well as flight SIm.

I hope that doesn't mean alot of sjw propaganda like a certain other dev with creative freedom.

That was my first thought when I read that too. My tolerance for SJW subject matter & agendas in games is zero, so I'm hopeful it's absolutely non-existent in a majority of the showcase triple-A titles. Otherwise, I'll be striking the Series X off of my to-buy list this November.

dilbag

what i want to see

Halo- Show this off with game play and explain which the direct is going, and please dont make it open world
Gears tactics on xbox
battle toads release date
The game the initiative is working on
a new Fable
new IPS (a ninja gaiden style game, RPGS, single player type of games, NO battle royal games, GaaS, online survival type of games)
GamePass Surprise releases

supernova8

Banned
Honestly I'd love it if he just shut the fuck up and waited until their event on July 23. I get the feeling they have not learned from the shitshow that was Inside Xbox back in May.

Whoever thought it was a good idea to do Inside Xbox the way they did is probably still in charge of this stuff, and that same person/people will probably fuck it up again.

Last edited:
what i want to see

Halo- Show this off with game play and explain which the direct is going, and please dont make it open world
Gears tactics on xbox
battle toads release date
The game the initiative is working on
a new Fable
new IPS (a ninja gaiden style game, RPGS, single player type of games, NO battle royal games, GaaS, online survival type of games)
GamePass Surprise releases

I don't know, open world Halo would be fantastic especially if it's in the spirit of Halo CE's opening level.

dilbag

I don't know, open world Halo would be fantastic especially if it's in the spirit of Halo CE's opening level.

I dont mind open levels I just dont want a bloated open world game.... Gears 5 I hated the open world aspects of that game. But to be honest I am just burnt out of open world games.

FunkMiller

If they don't take the amount of shooter being put out there down a notch and bring forward the 3rd Person Adventures, Action RPGs, Story Driven Blockbusters I am going to have a problem.
I am not going to be impressed by 5 shooters come July 23rd...

Completely agree with this. I have no idea why Microsoft haven’t bothered to make many more single player, story driven games, given how hugely popular they are. If there’s nothing exclusive like this on the Microsoft platform, I doubt I’ll be buying any of their consoles again. They can’t continue to let Sony corner the market!

Kanton

Completely agree with this. I have no idea why Microsoft haven’t bothered to make many more single player, story driven games, given how hugely popular they are.

Well, they are popular the same way way frozen pizza is, sales monster for the clueless masses but boring for the enthusiast... i am also shocked they havent made these since its the easiest genre out there as long as you have money to burn. Hopefully its a well thought out strategy to focus on innovative gameplay and competitive multiplayer.

Sethbacca

Well, they are popular the same way way frozen pizza is, sales monster for the clueless masses but boring for the enthusiast... i am also shocked they havent made these since its the easiest genre out there as long as you have money to burn. Hopefully its a well thought out strategy to focus on innovative gameplay and competitive multiplayer.

I mean, those of us that enjoy the single player narratives would find playing 900 hours on the same map rotations boring. It has little to nothing to do with enthusiast versus casual, it has everything to do with personal taste. Not every game needs to have a multiplayer or online component. You do realize that hardcore gaming existed prior to the ubiquity of internet access in the late 90s/early 00s right? Are you arguing that hardcore gamers didn't exist before the internet? Every game was basically a single player experience back in the day. I mean, call it speculation on my part, but I'm going to guess at this point that I had thousands of hours gaming time under the belt likely before you were born given the perspective of the post you made.

Last edited:
I dont mind open levels I just dont want a bloated open world game.... Gears 5 I hated the open world aspects of that game. But to be honest I am just burnt out of open world games.
The Banished are scrappers and re-use Forerunner, UNSC and Covenant tech. It would be nice to be able to pick up and refine some of this tech for upgrading the Chief's armor, abilities, and weapons. From there, I think it would be even better if certain upgrades throughout the world would allow you to traverse new areas sort of like Metroid and Zelda. That would be my dream Halo game.

Last edited:

splattered

I am so disappointed in the direction of Xbox PR recently, that I am not expecting anything anymore. If they really were confident with their chances, their marketing would have been more honest.

I wouldn't say i'm disappointed but i am a little confused... didn't they recently hire the OG 360 era marketing wizard person that they snatched back from Netflix? I would have thought their marketing efforts would have been a bit more aggressive/entertaining at this point but maybe this stupid virus puts a damper on that stuff as well?

By "creative freedom" i am expecting more smaller interesting projects like bleeding edge and grounded but i also fear Volcano High and Bugsnaxx type crap.

I'm all for creative freedom and smaller quirky projects, we just have to hope the studios themselves do something worthwhile with the time and resources afforded to them.

pawel86ck

Banned
Creative freedom? On July 23 I dont want to see anything even resembling "Orphan".
Orphane-of-the-machine.jpg

I want to see something that can make all PS fans jealous and another PS2 style game will not cut it.

pasterpl

By "creative freedom" i am expecting more smaller interesting projects like bleeding edge and grounded but i also fear Volcano High and Bugsnaxx type cra

some people were excited about astrobot and sack boy that Sony presented, so I guess there is market for these type of games (which I am not fan of). That “creative freedom” statement doesn’t bode well for xgs showing.

Captain Hero

The Spoiler Soldier
Is this a joke post? Has to be.
So far MS has announced the following games coming down for Series X through their first parties.
1. Halo Infinate
2. Flight SIM
3. Hellblade 2
4. Project Mara
5. Grounded
6. Wasteland 3
7. Psychonauts 2
8. Everwild
9. Gears Tactics

Then we expect to see another few at the July reveal such as
1. Forza 8
2. Fable 4
3. Perfect Dark
4. New compulsion game

And we know there is going to be games coming the next couple of years such as
1. Forza Horizon 5
2. The Outer Worlds 2

And whatever unannounced first party games are currently in development.

Then we have third party exclusives such as
1. The Medium
2. Scorn
3. Call of the sea
4. Bright Memory: Infinite

It is more than Sony has announced for PS5.
At this point if you are saying Phil has only just talked about the games and hasnt shown any, you are either just a troll, or are just plain ignorant.

Everything you said .. I’m not against it man + I’m not a troll .

Its not about the nextgen only so don’t tell me he did more than Sony’s PS5 because we could go to another path .. When it comes to games nothing can go beyond Sony’s first party games so listings predictions will not make it right or better .
PlayStation fans are busy playing great exclusives while Phil still talking about how good is the XSX .. nah I’m not into that strategy I don’t care if my console is powerful or weak I just need to play great games that’s it .

But , July 23 .. I’m hoping for the best

Last edited:

splattered

some people were excited about astrobot and sack boy that Sony presented, so I guess there is market for these type of games (which I am not fan of). That “creative freedom” statement doesn’t bode well for xgs showing.

I thought Astrobot and Sack Boy trailers looked decent.. much better than Volcano High and Bugsnaxx. Though i didn't watch the Geoff controller presentation so i didn't see more of Astrobot yet.

quest

Not Banned from OT
I wouldn't say i'm disappointed but i am a little confused... didn't they recently hire the OG 360 era marketing wizard person that they snatched back from Netflix? I would have thought their marketing efforts would have been a bit more aggressive/entertaining at this point but maybe this stupid virus puts a damper on that stuff as well?

By "creative freedom" i am expecting more smaller interesting projects like bleeding edge and grounded but i also fear Volcano High and Bugsnaxx type crap.

I'm all for creative freedom and smaller quirky projects, we just have to hope the studios themselves do something worthwhile with the time and resources afforded to them.

Ffs people it is about the cultural change at the xbox division. In the past they would of bought inexile and forced them to make something they did not want to make. Now inexile is choosing to make the games they want with out worry of paying staff. They also get support to staff up to a proper level. Creative freedom is inexile making a AAA rpg they are planning not being turned into a gaas factory. The level of concern trolling is off the charts now days that Phil and Matt are finally doing what we all begged for a decade quit forcing teams to make crap they don't want to. Phil and Matt make a great change then the concern trolling comes in waves. If a studio wants to do a fun side project time to time i see no issues with it. It can only improve the work place moral knowing they can really do a projects they feel passionate about even if it is not a 5 year AAA game.

To the people begging for Microsoft to just make second rate copies of Sony games gtfo. Not every game needs to be a 3rd person cinematic adventure type. Sorry its time for other games to get first party love like RPGs. Being a second rate copy of Sony is a path to failure. There is plenty of areas Sony neglects they can go after to. We need diversity not more of the same.

Abear21

Banned
Perfect Dark with cross-gen multiplayer/Co-op is my shot in the dark guess at a bombshell! This would push me over the edge to purchase, but yeah this event sounds Indie focused. Maybe they’ll drop price and release date at the end?!

MrMiyagi

Banned
Ffs people it is about the cultural change at the xbox division. In the past they would of bought inexile and forced them to make something they did not want to make. Now inexile is choosing to make the games they want with out worry of paying staff. They also get support to staff up to a proper level. Creative freedom is inexile making a AAA rpg they are planning not being turned into a gaas factory. The level of concern trolling is off the charts now days that Phil and Matt are finally doing what we all begged for a decade quit forcing teams to make crap they don't want to. Phil and Matt make a great change then the concern trolling comes in waves. If a studio wants to do a fun side project time to time i see no issues with it. It can only improve the work place moral knowing they can really do a projects they feel passionate about even if it is not a 5 year AAA game.

To the people begging for Microsoft to just make second rate copies of Sony games gtfo. Not every game needs to be a 3rd person cinematic adventure type. Sorry its time for other games to get first party love like RPGs. Being a second rate copy of Sony is a path to failure. There is plenty of areas Sony neglects they can go after to. We need diversity not more of the same.

Fanboys always say Xbox has no exclusives, but that is utter BS. We've seen a whole bunch of exclusives this year like: Bleeding Edge, Ori, Minecraft Dungeons, Gears Tactics, Grounded. They weren't bad games, its just not the type of games Xbox gamers would typically pay full price for, let alone a $600 next gen console. They are great fillers for GP, though. And I expect we'll see a lot more of them on the 23rd.

Camreezie

I hope he IS telling the truth! Honestly, this would be the first time Phil Spencer has actually brought the A-game. Instead, all we've heard is Phil is the chosen one and that he's still dealing with Don Mattrick stuff even 6 years later. I'm supposed to just trust he's going to bring it this time after about the pathetic other conferences. At least it sounds like this conference won't have him smiling while saying Microsoft just bought some more studios that were making multi-platform games before.

Meanwhile, the Xbox One has been one of the least exciting consoles to own with mediocre games almost the entire generation. There's a reason the Switch even passed the Xbox this time around. Powerful means jack diddly if you don't have the games that show it off. And power means nothing if the games aren't fun.

Every single game I was excited about on the Xbox this gen has been a total let down for me. Halo 5 wasn't good. Sea of Thieves was probably the dumbest crap I played this gen (felt like an early access f2p). Crackdown 3 didn't impress even with all of that cloud power. And the list goes on of bland, mediocre crap MS put out an entire generation.

You know what games I did enjoy a lot? Forza, Sunset Overdrive and the remaster stuff. That was it. I put more time into Crimson Skies original Xbox game than I did on half the games I wasted money on with Xbox. So yeah, I really, really hope he's telling the truth. I hope Xbox -- the system that converted me over from PC more than any other console did before -- can bring some great games to be excited about and not stuff I feel obligated to be excited about because I don't want to be called a Sony fanboy or Nintendo fanboy for thinking their Series X lineup sucks. Let's finally do something, Phil!
Nailed it , this was a lot of my experience with Microsoft this generation too. Apart from Dead Rising 3 at launch and Sunset Overdrive there really wasnt much there for me that delivered on the first party side of things. Hoping they pull their head out of their ass this time and deliver on the lip service for a change

MrMiyagi

Banned

You can't just write off all of Sony's critically acclaimed exclusives as the same ol' stuff just because they're in 3rd person, though. Their games are all completely different. Its just that they have super high production values that makes them feel cinematic. Truth is, if MS showed 1 or 2 new 3rd person ip's of the same caliber as Sony's exclusives, Xbox fans would all be parading on the streets.

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
I've been a lifelong PlayStation gamer but I have to be honest... I'm waaaaaay more excited about Microsoft and the Series X than the PS5 at this point. They're saying and doing everything they can to get me to switch sides next gen.

Completely agree with this. I have no idea why Microsoft haven’t bothered to make many more single player, story driven games, given how hugely popular they are. If there’s nothing exclusive like this on the Microsoft platform, I doubt I’ll be buying any of their consoles again. They can’t continue to let Sony corner the market!

I think the main reason they typically don’t create those games is probably because their XBOX demographic don’t particularly care for those types of games unfortunately. They seem to care more for multiplayer games like online shooters, battle royale, GAAS, etc as opposed to single player, story driven games.

MrMiyagi

Banned
I think the main reason they typically don’t create those games is probably because their XBOX demographic don’t particularly care for those types of games unfortunately. They seem to care more for multiplayer games like online shooters, battle royale, GAAS, etc as opposed to single player, story driven games.
Gears of war wasn't exactly a slouch when it comes to sales, though. At least before the Coalition took over the franchise. I'm sure any Xbox fan would love to see more new AAA ip's of that caliber. Not entirely sure if the Xbox demographics care about games like Ori, Minecraft dungeons and Grounded, though.

Last edited:
I guess I don't really blame them since it's those types of games that bring in big money. I'm of the opinion that both Sony and Microsoft should succeed at what they do to keep each other honest. Sony focusing on strong AAA single player games makes Microsoft reconsider their strategy. With all their studio acquisitions there should be a pivot. We'll see how that plays out. As for Sony, it's because of Microsoft's online offerings that has propelled Sony's PSN.

JTCx

Simple really, its the demographic of the xbox brand. There was a surge of shooters during the 360/ps3 era and they still havnt moved passed it.

Gears of war wasn't exactly a slouch when it comes to sales, though. At least before the Coalition took over the franchise. I'm sure any Xbox fan would love to see more new AAA ip's of that caliber. Not entirely sure if the Xbox demographics care about games like Ori, Minecraft dungeons and Grounded, though.
I can't help but view Gears as going the way of Mass Effect.

reksveks

Fanboys always say Xbox has no exclusives, but that is utter BS. We've seen a whole bunch of exclusives this year like: Bleeding Edge, Ori, Minecraft Dungeons, Gears Tactics, Grounded. They weren't bad games, its just not the type of games Xbox gamers would typically pay full price for, let alone a $600 next gen console. They are great fillers for GP, though. And I expect we'll see a lot more of them on the 23rd.

Ori isn’t a filler for Gamepass. It’s great full stop. I don’t know if you meant to demean Ori. Bleeding Edge and Grounded are two games that was internally passion projects. As stated within the gameindustry.biz article, being apart of Microsoft has allowed the studios to try and complete more of these passion projects without the fear of financial damage. I don’t know if you think that’s a good thing or a bad thing. I think they are similar to that PS4 graffiti game.

Top Bottom