• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer: What you will see on July 23 is true creative freedom

sublimit

Banned
He will...... in 5 days. šŸ˜‰
I feel like i have been hearing promises like this for the last 6 years which always led to disappointment.I'm so tired waiting to see some new games while hearing "you'll see in the next E3","you'll see in their next show","you'll see in their next inside xbox" blah,blah,blah.

They better go big by showing us lots of big or at least interesting AA new IPs (or reboots) on the 23rd or go home. It's their last chance.

Captain Hero

The Spoiler Soldier
Phil my boy .. why you talk too much ?
You talked about games more than anyone in this world and yet you donā€™t have the games . You talked about creativity yet you never delivered what you promised since 2014 and here we go again , every time you bring the heat but where is the fire Phil ?

Let the games talk
Let the show talk
Let the silence talk

Iā€™m so excited for the Show and I wish itā€™s good after all that talk

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
I support Microsoft but imagine working your whole life, dedicate yourself to gaming and your reward is to be #2 #3 in the console wars

Redlight

ā€œIf a designer comes to us, like the ones you quoted from our May Showcase, and tells us, ā€œI really want to dedicate myself to the next generationā€ with their games... well, if you are making a GamePass title and/or work for my first party studios, I will tell you to go f* yourself, you work for me not the other way around, and make it for Xbox One tooā€. True creative freedom for the next two years.

Just half an hour before...

Another nice warrior talking point, not calling you one myself but you are quacking like a duck...

Glass houses, stones etc, etc.

Rikoi

I support Microsoft but imagine working your whole life, dedicate yourself to gaming and your reward is to be #2 #3 in the console wars
Well I think it's their fault for their wrong choices.
After all what the gamers care about is just games, if you want to aim for the 1st place you gotta pull out masterpiece exclusives, being passionate about gaming isn't enough.
Look at Sony, every exclusive is a global hit, they sell million copies because they are good and polished.
The same could be told for Nintendo? They have their name attached to Zelda and Mario though, but those two are enough to sell a lot.
Xbox is still remembered just for Halo I think? Well gears of war too.
Yes they have some interesting games but they are not blockbusters like the Playstation and Nintendo ones. If they want to compete for the 1st place they need to step up their game and pull out more masterpieces, they need gamers to tell "I'm going to buy the xbox because I want to play X/Y/Z games".

Last edited:
It's obvious you were referencing Sony playstation fans, to pretend you weren't is asinine.
You putting words on my mount, that is your biased interpretation.
Assuming I'm not a civilized adult because I want people to not post saying people are SCARED of videogame execs saying shit is quite ironic.
Read your posts.
I'm actually doing quite well at 36 years of age. I play on all platforms,if you look at my previous post in Xbox threads it's generally positive with constructive criticism. I have receipts too that show I have no horse in this race, I want each company to do their best.
Cool story, this is my first time reading/having an interraction with you, i responded according to your aggressive/insulting posts.
But saying things like what you say is ridiculous and doesn't invite conversation. Guess you accomplished something cause you got me to respond.
what did i say that got you that triggered ? People shit on anything phil says or does, i don't see you aggressing them like you did me.
It just seems there's a huge influx of threads about next-gen stuff whether it's rumors/hypotheticals/or even facts, while it can be fun to discuss a lot of times people get personal and fanboyish to a point that it's annoying and bothersome and usually derails threads (which I contributed to on this thread,I apologize)
You mean those Xbox thread that get derailed by Ps5 SSD I/O ? Or
Phil ain't shit and MS has no games, Sony exclusive Sony exclusive Sony exclusive.
Obviously I can just ignore it and move in but I'd like to genuinely discuss everything going on but post like yours saying people are scared of Phil ruin any chance of that cause it's made with intent of getting a reaction.
Like i said, People criticizing everything Phil/MS related, the usual suspects.
I don't see why you're mad.
Edit: also I dont wanna keep derailing this thread cause we're not even discussing the topic at this point. Agree to disagree and move on. I hope the rest of your day goes great šŸ‘
Don't worry I'm Great.
Cant expect Xbox fans here to have a discussion. Any comment of yours or opinion will be met with these child like 'oh he triggered' response.
It devalues the forum to have what I'm assuming adults posting like this.
It really is bizarre.
You mean child like comment's like this :

-Backfired :

Didn't call out your friend geordi for derailing didn't you becauuuuuse wait for it (sony).
You even got other members letting you know you quoted the wrong one (me)
DeaDPo0L84 DeaDPo0L84 GET ITT.

KAL2006

Banned
I'm so sick of this AAA bullshit it's dull and boring every AAA game sony makes you play for a week and it's over. They need to step up their studios and stop making the same boring shit.

That's your opinion. But majority of sales and critic reviews disagree with that. So in terms of numbers seems like Sony are doing the right thing. Perhaps they should cater to you and stop making these games, what's about for all these sales and critic reviews if you personally don't like these games right?

As for Sony focusing on AAA games, I guess Gravity Rush 2, Until Dawn, Blood and Truth, Astrobot, Concrete Genie, Materfall and etc.

Also you state AAA games are short and over with I found Horizon quite long, when God of War was decent length I don't like games overstaying their length. Also I find many indie games are shorter don't you think.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Just half an hour before...

Glass houses, stones etc, etc.

Hehe, what a burn :LOL:. The hilarious part is that, exaggeration of mine aside, you are essentially accusing Spencer of console war trolling himself... Everything before the part in italics was a direct quote from Spencer himself.

Now that you got that little dig in, can you help Philā€™s latest quote against Philā€™s previous quote?

I cannot wait for the creative way where you explain how a designer only needs to ask him in case they have an idea for an XSX exclusive as he just champions creativity and freedom is not contradicting the policy he talked about just a day or so before where all XGS games would run on Xbox One too and could NOT be XSX exclusives.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
July 23th will hurt some people feelings, oh yeah.

We will see... that kind of scenarios kind of explain how some applaud initiatives they do not themselves like (chance to cheer on your corp of choice and hopefully piss the fans of the other one off... especially the latter) šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø.

Last edited:

Stuart360

July 23th will hurt some people feelings, oh yeah.
It wont though. They will say its a poor showing no matter what games are shown, graphics or gameplay wise. While proclaiming Sony's show a 10/10 (lol).
I have already decided i wont be on the forum on the 23rd because i value my time on this forum, and wont lose it because of a bunch or fanboys that have spent too long in the trenches.

Blah blah blah cross gen holding games back for all time

Blah blah blah show us games because you don't care about games because you just bought a bunch of studios for no reason

blah blah blah MS is the weakest has ever been right now. You know, not when they launched the Xbox One and it was a disaster. Nothing has changed since.

Just give up Phil Spencer, stop doing your job!

Am I doing it right GAF?

Blah blah blah cross gen holding games back for all time

Blah blah blah show us games because you don't care about games because you just bought a bunch of studios for no reason

blah blah blah MS is the weakest has ever been right now. You know, not when they launched the Xbox One and it was a disaster. Nothing has changed since.

Just give up Phil Spencer, stop doing your job!

Am I doing it right GAF?
You have their blessings.

Holammer

Nintendo has put put more AAA and qaulity games since the launch of the switch compared to xbox's entire generation.

Jesus Christ... AAA in this context, I repeat, is only an indication of its budget (it can still be dog shit) which is estimated from the number of employees and years of development, nothing else.
"AAA (pronounced and sometimes written Triple-A) is an informal classification used for video games produced and distributed by a mid-sized or major publisher, typically having higher development and marketing budgets"

It's not a value judgement, Mario Odyssey employed 200 something people while AssCreed Odyssey had 1000+.

35bnv3.png

DaGwaphics

I'll be honest and say my expectations aren't quite as high for a MS first-party event in comparison to Sony. But, I do hope they can show that they are moving in that direction.

It'd be great if they really surprised me, can't say I'd be mad about that.

Last edited:

oldergamer

We will see... that kind of scenarios kind of explain how some applaud initiatives they do not themselves like (chance to cheer on your corp of choice and hopefully piss the fans of the other one off... especially the latter) šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø.
Applauding initiatives they do not themselves like, pretty much sums it up for some people. Noted, i didn't see you apply the same critical thinking or tempered expectations to sony game announcements threads. Just my observation.

Of course nothing wrong with being excited for games, however there was a tremendous amount of energy spent to spin SSD into something it isn't (as fast as system memory), and to deflect the importance of other features connected to new GPU's that can make a difference on the overall experience. Add to that, the people downplaying xbox games without seeing them, due to some media people starting a false premise that older consoles will hold back innovation (without clearly considering or in most cases, understanding the tentpoles of game innovation are not typically hardware driven) or the simply ignoring the fact that MS stated that they are targeting series X and porting down. Claims that xbox games won't be nextgen (again without seeing them) is the gas that fuels the engine for animus towards console warriors on the opposite side.

In other words, like I said previously that when MS shows us at least a few games that look more next gen then what sony is offering, while at the same time being cross gen capable, what are people going to do? It's going to piss off fans on the opposite side, there's no way around that.

splattered

Enough talk... show more.

Why do people keep saying "Stop talking, show games!"

That's exactly what they're doing on the 23rd... they're not allowed to talk along the way to the reveal?

What do you care if they "show games" ?

It's not like any of you are going to acknowledge what they showed was good, or go out and buy an Xbox.

You're just trying to use it as ammo in your online console warz.

If you don't like xbox, why even venture into the threads on the forum?

Mmnow

Jesus Christ... AAA in this context, I repeat, is only an indication of its budget (it can still be dog shit) which is estimated from the number of employees and years of development, nothing else.
"AAA (pronounced and sometimes written Triple-A) is an informal classification used for video games produced and distributed by a mid-sized or major publisher, typically having higher development and marketing budgets"

It's not a value judgement, Mario Odyssey employed 200 something people while AssCreed Odyssey had 1000+.

35bnv3.png

Mario is definitely AAA. Your own definition confirms it.

For comparison, Hellblade had 20 people working on it, and it's decidedly AA. That 1,000 people worked on AC is neither here nor there.

fermcr

Why do people keep saying "Stop talking, show games!"

That's exactly what they're doing on the 23rd... they're not allowed to talk along the way to the reveal?

What do you care if they "show games" ?

It's not like any of you are going to acknowledge what they showed was good, or go out and buy an Xbox.

You're just trying to use it as ammo in your online console warz.

If you don't like xbox, why even venture into the threads on the forum?

No, I'm not purchasing a Xbox nor a PS5. With my free time the PC is more then enough for my gaming needs, that's why I'm very interested in what Microsoft has to show. Just this year I've already purchased 4 Microsoft games (Halo Collection, Gears 5, Gears Tactics, Ori 2) and probably purchase more until the year end.

Wasn't impressed with Microsoft's last conference. I wish Microsoft has a much better conference on July 23...

Last edited:
MS basically handed Sony the generation with the hubris of the original Xbox One strategy. To see them now in such a great position, with stuff like physical BC embraced, leading the way with cross play, rebuilding relationships with Japanese developers, a stable of amazing developers who can move beyond Gears, Halo and Forza...

giphy.gif

This.

I think Xbox One was worthy of its criticisms, even now, as the games really did taper off come 2018 and beyond.

The last exclusive was Gears 5 after a significant amount of time in between since a new release.

So with all this hurrah about new ips and studio acquisition, I sincerely hope they come out swinging.

They've got the hardware, now for the love of God deliver the games.

If they beat Sony on the gaming side this coming generation, I'll concede and admit Phil has done a great job.

Until then, I will remain lukewarm by this hype machine in a suit.

Looking forward to seeing what exclusives are heading to my Xbox One S now that we have true creative freedom heading our way instead of the fake creative freedom before :messenger_sunglasses:

This is hands down one of the most anticipated reveals ever. They need to come with something, something substantial. 4 more days is it? Will set a countdown.

oagboghi2

Xbox is already putting out a lot of unique, quality, diverse games. Although smaller in scale, but focused on gameplay.

Ori Will of the Wisp
Microsoft Flight Simulator
Age of Empire
Minecraft Dungeons
Gears Tactics
Grounded

All released this year
šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚ Jesus Christ seriously

It wont though. They will say its a poor showing no matter what games are shown, graphics or gameplay wise. While proclaiming Sony's show a 10/10 (lol).
I have already decided i wont be on the forum on the 23rd because i value my time on this forum, and wont lose it because of a bunch or fanboys that have spent too long in the trenches.
-Doesn't play on consoles
-Not an Xbox fanboy

šŸ˜‚

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Applauding initiatives they do not themselves like, pretty much sums it up for some people. Noted, i didn't see you apply the same critical thinking or tempered expectations to sony game announcements threads. Just my observation.

You did not see all people on that side of the fence I have reported or argued with over time nor you have seen me cheer for the console shape despite me not liking it nor applauding that conference as the best ever. If I see someone on that side of the fence seemingly being happy and supporting something primarily or exclusively because it pisses other people off then I will reply in kind to them too.

Also, I am not sure I expressed any qualifier to my expectations to what MS will be showing.
Not sure how yesterdayā€™s ā€œfirst two years XGS games will be cross-genā€ Phil us not disagreeing with todayā€™s ā€œif game designers have an idea that requires making an XSX exclusive game they can, we are about freedom of creativityā€... or how it is tinting my expectations one way or the other.

Last edited:

oagboghi2

Never said i wasnt an Xbox fan. Of course i am, all their games come to PC.. Just like a iwll be a PS fan again, once more of their games come to PC.
Than why do you care so much about a console launch line up reveal that you are going to avoid GAF, because you don't want to hear critical opinions

NeoGAF: "True creative freedom" means RTX, checkboard 4k and 30fps" doesn't it?
Don't forget the trans main character

DeaDPo0L84

Didn't want to quote the entire cause jesus fuck that's insane. My main point when I initially responded to you was it's dumb REGARDLESS of who you are referencing. Saying ANYONE, regardless of platform choice or loyalty to a fucking videogame company which is dumb, it's ALWAYS dumb as fuck to say others are "scared" cause of what a videogame exec is saying. It really is as simple as that. NOBODY is scared because a Nintendo,Sony,or Xbox exec is saying or doing anything, that is so fucking dumb and childish. You can quote me all you want to get your gotcha moment but the second you made that particular comment that's all I needed to know. Or at least explain what are people SCARED of, are these consoles going to come take peoples fucking jobs or some shit? Don't pretend to be obtuse to the fact that you made that comment to get a response, to act otherwise is dumb. Also this conversation is not even worth having at this point, it's boring and obvious it's getting nowhere.

Stuart360

Than why do you care so much about a console launch line up reveal that you are going to avoid GAF, because you don't want to hear critical opinions
'Critical opinions', yeah good one. I told you, these games are coming to PC, of course i'm interested. I was a console and PC gamer until this gen. I'm no console hating PC Master Racer. When you dont hate Xbox, this forum can be very frustrating to read, you wouldnt realize because half your posts are anti Xbox.
By the way, when you have a post history like yours, its probably not good to accuse people of being fanboys.

DaGwaphics

Didn't want to quote the entire cause jesus fuck that's insane. My main point when I initially responded to you was it's dumb REGARDLESS of who you are referencing. Saying ANYONE, regardless of platform choice or loyalty to a fucking videogame company which is dumb, it's ALWAYS dumb as fuck to say others are "scared" cause of what a videogame exec is saying. It really is as simple as that. NOBODY is scared because a Nintendo,Sony,or Xbox exec is saying or doing anything, that is so fucking dumb and childish. You can quote me all you want to get your gotcha moment but the second you made that particular comment that's all I needed to know. Or at least explain what are people SCARED of, are these consoles going to come take peoples fucking jobs or some shit? Don't pretend to be obtuse to the fact that you made that comment to get a response, to act otherwise is dumb. Also this conversation is not even worth having at this point, it's boring and obvious it's getting nowhere.

If I had the url for that killer PS5, I'd insert it here.

Many readers do seem terribly sensitive to the marketing messages of some companies (notably more so than others). Maybe it's a cultural thing, in the states every company markets themselves as the best (every cell carrier has the best coverage, etc.). The fact that Sony markets the traditional generational approach is not surprising (it's what they are currently doing), similar to when they talked down unified shaders years ago (because they weren't using them yet). Likewise for MS and their less rigid approach to generations. I'm a bit of an Xbot, I'll give you that, but Sony's marketing does not enrage me.

DeaDPo0L84

If I had the url for that killer PS5, I'd insert it here.

Many readers do seem terribly sensitive to the marketing messages of some companies (notably more so than others). Maybe it's a cultural thing, in the states every company markets themselves as the best (every cell carrier has the best coverage, etc.). The fact that Sony markets the traditional generational approach is not surprising (it's what they are currently doing), similar to when they talked down unified shaders years ago (because they weren't using them yet). Likewise for MS and their less rigid approach to generations. I'm a bit of an Xbox, I'll give you that, but Sony's marketing does not enrage me.

When I was much younger I was definitely part of the problem when it came to talking shit on gaming forums. But then I got older, realized I generally don't have a emotional investment in these products and they're strictly there for my entertainment and I have been much happier for it. Thing is, I like genuine debates, I think having arguments is a healthy form of interaction if it's done so in a constructive manner. But a lot of times it devolves into juvenile comments that read like a headline from a satire newspaper. I know wishing or hoping that the childish console wars comments would stop is like arguing politics or religion, nobody is going to change their mind and some are just dead set in what they believe or how they choose to act so it's a pointless venture.

Luckily, I am in a position where I have a really good gaming PC so I can enjoy all of Xbox's offerings, and currently have a PS4 Pro, and a Nintendo Switch on my desk. I guess I have FOMO when it comes to videogames, I like to play anything that interest me or is worth my time regardless of platform. It's why when I am critical of the current Xbox 1st party lineup it's not me talking shit, it's me talking as a consumer who wants to play more shit on your platform but am tired of the 1,2,3 punch of the usual suspects. Me and my wife who were die hard Gears of War fans had to force ourselves to finish 4, we never finished 5. I think it's okay to have constructive criticism towards these companies and what they offer. When it was PS3/Xbox 360 I owned both but mostly played on the 360 cause that is where the games I wanted to play at that time where. This gen it's been mostly Playstation, but I have had a blast playing games like Sea of Thieves, State of Decay 1 (not so much 2), every Forza Horizon that has released, and even replaying the old Gears games as well as MCC.

I am sincerely hoping they come out on the 23rd and absolutely blow the roof off and set the internet on fire with each and every game they announce, but not because it will piss off Playstation fans or give me something witty to post on a gaming forum to throw shade at those who don't play on the Xbox platform, but because it's games I will be able to play,enjoy,and experience, simple as that. I gain absolutely nor is my life affected by anyone elses choice on how they choose to spend their money or time when it comes to videogames. There's no "winning" if I convince someone Playstation or Xbox is better than the other. But yea, just wish the childish shit would stop, it's annoying, Gaf is definitely not as bad as other places but it just seems inherent in gaming forums that there are those who want to stir the pot any chance they get and draw lines in the sand rather than discuss something we all enjoy which is simply videogames.

REE Machine

Banned

35bnv3.png
And yet again nintendo has had more along with sony AAA bangers and exclusives than MS, the last high profile AAA game "budget" wise as you say was announced for them was 2015

You putting words on my mount, that is your biased interpretation.

Read your posts.

Cool story, this is my first time reading/having an interraction with you, i responded according to your aggressive/insulting posts.

what did i say that got you that triggered ? People shit on anything phil says or does, i don't see you aggressing them like you did me.

You mean those Xbox thread that get derailed by Ps5 SSD I/O ? Or
Phil ain't shit and MS has no games, Sony exclusive Sony exclusive Sony exclusive.

Like i said, People criticizing everything Phil/MS related, the usual suspects.
I don't see why you're mad.

Don't worry I'm Great.

You mean child like comment's like this :

-Backfired :

Didn't call out your friend geordi for derailing didn't you becauuuuuse wait for it (sony).
You even got other members letting you know you quoted the wrong one (me)

DeaDPo0L84 DeaDPo0L84 GET ITT.
I just went back to the posts you quoted me on and now only see that i quoted the wrong person. I don't have time to spend every living moment on this forum. I have a job and other responsibilities so don't really have time to check every single notification.

Anyways, for that i apologise.

I'm not an asshole that won't admit when I made a mistake.

Last edited:

Gaz

I have a feeling Xbox are going to deliver an INCREDIBLE show on Thursday. Its certainly exciting to see what all those studios they've acquired have been working on. That jaw dropping moment with the PS5 reveal was missing so hopefully Xbox can have one.

Top Bottom