• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer: What you will see on July 23 is true creative freedom

DavidGzz

Xbox one S is a piece of a shit. It is. The X is fantastic and a brand new console vs Xbone, so i don't know why they've discontinued that.

Lockhart, until official, is an xbox fans' wet-dream and a confusing as fuck strategy, which is good, because Microsoft thesedays are confusing as fuck

Man, you think Lockhart is not happening after the news that their current best console is being discontinued? That news made it a sure thing.

DryvBy

I can't wait to see the meltdown on July 23rd when Microsoft has an amazing show and all the jealous naysayers heads implode.

I hope he IS telling the truth! Honestly, this would be the first time Phil Spencer has actually brought the A-game. Instead, all we've heard is Phil is the chosen one and that he's still dealing with Don Mattrick stuff even 6 years later. I'm supposed to just trust he's going to bring it this time after about the pathetic other conferences. At least it sounds like this conference won't have him smiling while saying Microsoft just bought some more studios that were making multi-platform games before.

Meanwhile, the Xbox One has been one of the least exciting consoles to own with mediocre games almost the entire generation. There's a reason the Switch even passed the Xbox this time around. Powerful means jack diddly if you don't have the games that show it off. And power means nothing if the games aren't fun.

Every single game I was excited about on the Xbox this gen has been a total let down for me. Halo 5 wasn't good. Sea of Thieves was probably the dumbest crap I played this gen (felt like an early access f2p). Crackdown 3 didn't impress even with all of that cloud power. And the list goes on of bland, mediocre crap MS put out an entire generation.

You know what games I did enjoy a lot? Forza, Sunset Overdrive and the remaster stuff. That was it. I put more time into Crimson Skies original Xbox game than I did on half the games I wasted money on with Xbox. So yeah, I really, really hope he's telling the truth. I hope Xbox -- the system that converted me over from PC more than any other console did before -- can bring some great games to be excited about and not stuff I feel obligated to be excited about because I don't want to be called a Sony fanboy or Nintendo fanboy for thinking their Series X lineup sucks. Let's finally do something, Phil!

You have no clue what his failures are because you dont know what decisions by him vs others above him. Its beyond "at least he isnt mattrick" but you refuse to see that and are dead set trying to find fault. Looking at the decisions made since he was in charge are all that matters up to today imo.
Not at all. But you are illustrating my argument perfectly, that the failings that have occurred at XGS aren’t laid at Spencer’s feet by the Xbox community or the broader consensus. At some point, there should be a willingness to recognize there have been major issues that he shares blame in.

“But at least he ain’t Mattrick.”

Last edited:

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
As a primary PC player I love the moves they’ve been making. Game Pass PC is a great deal, I can cross play with my sons on their X1S consoles, buy games on Steam if I want. I’ve had access to xCloud with a bunch great games for free since last year(around 100 games now). They have the most powerful console this gen and now next gen. Game selection is good and about to get much better. Excited for the 23rd to see what all those 15-16 studios have been cooking up.

I know there’s fucking fanboys who can’t let a single thread go without shitting it up. Feeling compelled to bring comparisons and negativity into everything just shows weakness.

Sounds pretty good. He seems really confident about upcoming event.

Also his player choice (about what hardware one wants to play on) is quiet limited to MS systems. Its perfectly fine but don't make it look like we have freedom to play xbox games wherever we want.

Might be like higher management at MS want gaming as value addition to windows as a platform. That's how he is getting the support from them.

Kagey K

Banned
Sounds pretty good. He seems really confident about upcoming event.

Also his player choice (about what hardware one wants to play on) is quiet limited to MS systems. Its perfectly fine but don't make it look like we have freedom to play xbox games wherever we want.

Might be like higher management at MS want gaming as value addition to windows as a platform. That's how he is getting the support from them.

Apple, Android and (rumoured) Samsung TVs are MS systems now?

Denton

So the hardest and most important part?

Sure. But having good studios and leaving them alone to make what they want to make is a good first step. I am fairly confident that Playground, Ninja Theory, Obsidian, inXile and others will be able to make some great games. Although they likely won't all be cinematic third person action adventures.

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
Sure. But having good studios and leaving them alone to make what they want to make is a good first step. I am fairly confident that Playground, Ninja Theory, Obsidian, inXile and others will be able to make some great games. Although they likely won't all be cinematic third person action adventures.

So not real games then? 😉

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
“True creative freedom”*

*Must work on Xbox One 2013

“If a designer comes to us, like the ones you quoted from our May Showcase, and tells us, “I really want to dedicate myself to the next generation” with their games... well, if you are making a GamePass title and/or work for my first party studios, I will tell you to go f* yourself, you work for me not the other way around, and make it for Xbox One too”. True creative freedom for the next two years.

To be fair to him though, real freedom for some philosophers is the voluntary abdication of will in favour of doing what is right, 4D chess Phil... 4D chess...

Last edited:

SoraNoKuni

I could call myself a Sony fan(Though I have a decent PC too cause I really like PC too), though I Prefer the Xbox controller and for the majority of 7th gen I had a 360.

I honestly from the bottom of my heart hope MS nails this and push Sony to become even better.
Go for it Microsoft.

Last edited:

Zato

Banned
People can hate all they want but when it comes to gaming, MS in 2020 is vastly, vastly better company than in previous years, if not decades.

All that remains is for their studios to now deliver world class games.

So the main thing they exist to do is what they still have to do.

When it comes to gaming they have everything to prove after the disaster of this current gen.

I do hope for a good machine and good games from MS, but it severely lacks in exclusive content that is enough to generate a buy from me, so they are still a wait and see, even a wait for reviews position.

True creative freedom as opposed to what?

Of course it’s PR, it’s an interview for goodness sake.

"not just PR" as in more than PR. I'm not sure what as opposed to what means. I was recently reading about the development of Spec Ops: The Line and how 2K games forced more shooting sections into the game and forced them to add a multiplayer component they considered counter to all of the game's messages. With true creative freedom the game would have been different.

Zato

Banned
"not just PR" as in more than PR. I'm not sure what as opposed to what means. I was recently reading about the development of Spec Ops: The Line and how 2K games forced more shooting sections into the game and forced them to add a multiplayer component they considered counter to all of the game's messages. With true creative freedom the game would have been different.

As opposed to have MS been denying true creative freedom before now?

Is it implying that freedom doesn’t exist somewhere else?

Or is it just PR buzzword terminology designed to generate hype?

I doubt 343 Industries and the Coalition wanted to saddle their games with so much microtransaction BS but I dunno, maybe they did?

GHG

Gold Member

There's a reason he feels the need to talk about creative freedom at the moment.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius

There's a reason he feels the need to talk about creative freedom at the moment.

Interested to hear how this is not really Phill’s fault. I do admire the way that nothing seems to stick to this guy: it is always someone else’s fault.

Zato

Banned
I doubt 343 Industries and the Coalition wanted to saddle their games with so much microtransaction BS but I dunno, maybe they did?

To be fair, that’s the business aspect and I doubt Phil is referring to any of that, in terms of types of games, genres, gameplay types etc is what creative freedom would refer to.

Could still have creative freedom and a requirement for cash generation post release with the full freedom to do so creatively!!

Phil Spencer is a businessman like the rest, too many climbing on his dick like he is something else (could be a lovely guy in his real life) MS want success, not forum praise.

Anything being released right now is to undermine, attack or better the opposition..... not as some saviour of gaming.

Last edited:
To be fair, that’s the business aspect and I doubt Phil is referring to any of that, in terms of types of games, genres, gameplay types etc is what creative freedom would refer to.

Could still have creative freedom and a requirement for cash generation post release with the full freedom to do so creatively!!

Phil Spencer is a businessman like the rest, too many climbing on his dick like he is something else (could be a lovely guy in his real life) MS want success, not forum praise.

Anything being released right now is to undermine, attack or better the opposition..... not as some saviour of gaming.

I agree he is but they might think the best decision is consumer friendly tactics that hurt them financially in the short term but build up brand loyalty in the long run.

joe_zazen

As a primary PC player I love the moves they’ve been making. Game Pass PC is a great deal, I can cross play with my sons on their X1S consoles, buy games on Steam if I want. I’ve had access to xCloud with a bunch great games for free since last year(around 100 games now). They have the most powerful console this gen and now next gen. Game selection is good and about to get much better. Excited for the 23rd to see what all those 15-16 studios have been cooking up.

I know there’s fucking fanboys who can’t let a single thread go without shitting it up. Feeling compelled to bring comparisons and negativity into everything just shows weakness.

I think it shows fear.

We all know that if MS hits on all cylinders, leverages MS’ market power, and the board is ok with 5 years of losses, xbox will literally kill playstation this gen. The only tech companies that could compete with Microsoft are Apple, Google, Amazon, and maybe Samsung; and they don't give a fuck about premium gaming. Sony isn't the same league at all.

I am OK with that. Sony stopped making games I care about*, so I am hoping MS brings some good, creative stuff and hits on all cylinders and subsidizes gaming for the next five years, even if it makes gaming shitty in 7 years because of no competition.

My wish list includes AA/AAA nonkill games (eg animal crossing), rts, grand strategy, tell-tale-esque games, card battlers without microtransactions, and robust modding scene with no limits like with PC. Also $250 xss because $500USD ps5 is going to be $900 in canada.

*except for astrobot. Game is Nintendo great.

Zato

Banned
I agree he is but they might think the best decision is consumer friendly tactics that hurt them financially in the short term but build up brand loyalty in the long run.

The only brand loyalty in general one can create is an assurance of a good end product.

Sony hurt themselves during PS3 with the cost, once it came down people flocked back because their has been one constant across PS consoles which has been good games and exclusives.

MS have been around long enough and first go around, came out late but generated a presence, 2nd go came out with the right price and a good machine with good exclusives (a lot where bought but anyway).

The Xbox One fell down mostly because of high price (which really exacerbated the power differential with PS4 which was cheaper) but that was at the start, much like the PS3 it can be turned around if you have the content to make people want to come.

Game pass is a good idea in theory but if it leads to volume output to justify itself at the cost of a level quality that sits around average then I would t thank you for it, MS buying studios is to make game pass content, not necessarily machine specific exclusives.

Mmnow

I’m guessing it's along the same lines as what Tim Schafer was saying the other day. When you're making something - anything - in an effort to make a profit, you make compromises. You stick to what's popular because you want people to be interested and maybe even hyped.

Brutal Legend has Tower defence, which was very of the time. Fifteen years ago, every game had a stealth section, whether it made sense or not.

A subscription model allows you to make a game nobody needs to buy. Taking risks becomes easier when the barrier of entry is removed.

But I guess we'll see on Thursday. No good speaking in definites when everything could be proven wrong in four days.

joe_zazen

Hmmmm, they do have various Microsoft 365 subs. I could see gaming becoming part of that. If I could get an all-in-one office/os/gaming/cloud storage thing...actually, no Ms has no mobile presence so it will never be all-in-one. Still, a sub for office, games, cloud, etc is interesting.

Rolla

Banned
The most interesting part of that article is when Phil Spencer says

I feel good about the Xbox One generation.

giphy.gif

Vawn

Banned
AAA in this context is budget only, not the quality & amount of sales.

You think games like Mario Odyssey and Breath of the Wild are low budget projects? They run at lower resolution than games like Assassin's Creed, etc on PS4/XBO, but that doesn't mean they are cheaper to make. It just means they are made to run on weaker hardware.

S

Shodan09

Unconfirmed Member
I think it shows fear.

We all know that if MS hits on all cylinders, leverages MS’ market power, and the board is ok with 5 years of losses, xbox will literally kill playstation this gen. The only tech companies that could compete with Microsoft are Apple, Google, Amazon, and maybe Samsung; and they don't give a fuck about premium gaming. Sony isn't the same league at all.

I am OK with that. Sony stopped making games I care about*, so I am hoping MS brings some good, creative stuff and hits on all cylinders and subsidizes gaming for the next five years, even if it makes gaming shitty in 7 years because of no competition.

My wish list includes AA/AAA nonkill games (eg animal crossing), rts, grand strategy, tell-tale-esque games, card battlers without microtransactions, and robust modding scene with no limits like with PC. Also $250 xss because $500USD ps5 is going to be $900 in canada.

*except for astrobot. Game is Nintendo great.

I agree entirely, particularly about ASTROBOT. Sony's best game this gen imo. I can't be bothered with cinematic third person games anymore.

I think there are going to be a few shocks for people on Thursday. The sleeping bear has been poked over the last couple of years.

Ozzie666

I just can't let myself feel any hype after so many disappointments when it comes to Microsoft. They talk and talk. I am really hoping this presentation knocks it out of the park. It'll be a win for everyone, and keep Sony working hard.

They really can't mess this up, can they?

Kokoloko85

Phil ”passive Aggressive” Spencer talking again.
Where are we this week?
Is Xbox and Playstation competition this week? Or not competition?

No console war but making digs about PS4’s fan noise?

Isn’t Xbox’s competition google and Amazon? but then he is confident after seeing the PS5 reveal..... ?

Cant keep up with the Suit PR nice guy act. Never seen anything so passive aggressive in video gaming in awhile.

Playing the nice guy seems to be a thing for them at the moment this week.
I wonder how it will change after the 23rd.....

It's funny I think we hear about those great games coming from Microsft since 2014. Entire generation passed under Phil leadership and we are still in the waiting phase.

Wonder where are all those great games he greenlighted in 2014/2015 which should have been released in 2019/2020 at the latest.

Shmunter

It's funny I think we hear about those great games coming from Microsft since 2014. Entire generation passed under Phil leadership and we are still in the waiting phase.

Wonder where are all those great games he greenlighted in 2014/2015 which should have been released in 2019/2020 at the latest.
It could be a matter of perspective. MS may think a great game is a never ending service game, others may think a highly polished narrative experience is the most rewarding.

farmerboy

I just can't let myself feel any hype after so many disappointments when it comes to Microsoft. They talk and talk. I am really hoping this presentation knocks it out of the park. It'll be a win for everyone, and keep Sony working hard.

They really can't mess this up, can they?

It doesn't have to be AMAZING, just a nice solid showing will do. Maybe hopefully something that justifies the "most powerful" tag, because that will be scrutinised the most.

Sounds like indie games and B level games, not that anything is wrong with those types of games. There studios they own such as inXile, Compulsion, Double Fine don't really make AAA games. That's fine because they have Initiative game and Fable to show off.
I'm so sick of this AAA bullshit it's dull and boring every AAA game sony makes you play for a week and it's over. They need to step up their studios and stop making the same boring shit.

Last edited:

splattered

To be honest that isn't a fair statement.. studios get locked into making certain types of games and sequels all the time by publishers when they find success. So I would say yes... studios do not always have true creative freedom.

Microsoft is now allowing their studios to make what they want, even if its smaller projects like bleeding edge or grounded.

Tim Schafer from Double Fine recently said he has all sorts of wacky game ideas he wants to dig out and consider making now. They did not have that luxury in the past.

That might seem silly to you but it is a big deal to developers and we as gamers can only benefit from more publisher flexibility.

Mmnow

I'm so sick of this AAA bullshit it's dull and boring every AAA game sony makes you play for a week and it's over. They need to step up their studios and stop making the same boring shit.

Not commenting on the quality of Sony's games, because I love them and appreciate that not everyone will.

But for a lot of people I think the hype is part of the game. People have waited for a long time for LoU2, and the trailers, speculation, theories is part of the fun. Finishing it in a week is the satisfying end to something that has actually been a half-decade experience.

I love the idea of more AA games, although I see that as a positive of Gamepass alongside larger titles that are obviously happening. But people don't spend five years getting excited for indie platformers.

And obviously I'm being really disingenuous there to make my point.

Guess my low expectations for an intelligent response should've been lowered. You're replying to someone who probably has more hours with 1st party Xbox games and Playstation games than you. I'm just tired of the childish gamefaq level posting. Grow up, discuss shit, be excited for great games on ALL platforms. Quit making dumb ass comments that sound like you live in your basement while you yell at your mom to heat you up a hot pocket.
Cant expect Xbox fans here to have a discussion. Any comment of yours or opinion will be met with these child like 'oh he triggered' response.
It devalues the forum to have what I'm assuming adults posting like this.
It really is bizarre.

Last edited:
Top Bottom