• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer Was a Big Reason Why Obsidian Joined Xbox

Punished Miku

Gold Member
The best video games executive of the modern age. When he retires people will immediately realize how much better he was than his replacement. Same thing happened to Iwata.

Last edited:

sircaw

Banned
Well deserved praise and on Father's Day. All your green rat children are proud of you papa Phil.
Sick Vomit GIF by CBS

Denton

Head of MS Game Studios is what I said (general manager of Microsoft Studios was the title I think, so the top guy there answering directly to Don Mattrick and he even got promoted one year later), a similar position to what Herman Hulst has today at Sony or that Shuhei Yoshida use to have at that time, so pretty high up. Phil gets all the credit when something works out and none of the blame when it doesn't.

Why pretend he wasn't there all along in a high up position? You think Don Mattrick made all the decision by himself? Also Don Mattrick left almost 10 years ago as well.
Neither you nor me know what exactly Spencer did and what he could or could not affect under Mattrick. But fact remains, after Mattrick left and Spencer became head honcho, THAT is when the big changes started. Simultaneous PC releases, big PC game investments, big acquisitions, big gamepass focus..., all that happened only after Spencer became head of gaming at MS.

Last edited:

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Phil definitely is a BIG reason why Xbox has had the turn around its had. Especially when you consider most of the changes took place in a few short years, After the Actiblizzard deal, Xbox will have the best stable of first party developers in the business, with some of the biggest IP's in the industry. Shit is crazy when you think about it.

Shit, just thinking they own Doom, Oblivion, Skyrim, Starfield...and soon CoD and a bunch of others. Damn...
I know right. It's amazing what 100 billion dollars will buy you.

Skifi28

To add, Sony has been making purchases as well with plans to make more acquisitions. Are we just going to ignore this, er? :messenger_sleeping:
In this thread talking specifically about Obsidian and Phil? I imagine so.

On topic: I smell bullshit, he just wanted to sleep with Phil and this was the one way of making it happen.

Roberts

Blessed be the day when a positive xbox thread isn’t going to become dull by a sea of salt barely disguised as a really poor attempt at wit and sarcasm. You are so goddamn boring - try harder so at least there is some entertainment value.

And yes, not a lot of companies would invest into passion projects like Pentiment and leave total creative control to its creators. Definitely not the other two.

Neither you nor me know what exactly Spencer did and what he could or could not affect under Mattrick. But fact remains, after Mattrick left and Spencer became head honcho, THAT is when the big changes started. Simultaneous PC releases, big PC game investments, big acquisitions, big gamepass focus..., all that happened only after Spencer became head of gaming at MS.
It's pretty easy to figure out what the person responsible for the MS gaming studios did.

To me it makes sense that If you want to give him credit for spending money on acquisitions you should also hold him accountable for their lackluster output of games in the past decade.

Last edited:

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
MS bought AB only this year, and started growing again from 2017 lol. They nearly doubled their gaming revenue between 2016 and 2021, without spending 70bn.

Very little of their recent success has to do with the AB purchase.
And none of that has to do with what gavon said. He was talking about ip. Which is what I responded too.

Denton

It's pretty easy to figure out what the person responsible for the MS gaming studios did.

To me it makes sense that If you want to give him credit for spending money on acquisitions you should also hold him accountable for their lackluster output of games in the past decade.
My original post in this thread what that I believe that since his appointment, he is hands off.

I meant appointment as head of gaming at xbox, after Mattrick left.

What he did not didn't do before then, I don't particularly give a fuck about, because it is ancient history at this point. Ok ?

Last edited:

Z O N E

Spencers, Xbox's and Microsofts goals are pretty transparent at this point and Spencer seems direct and humble.

Getting aquired by them is a good deal for devs.

Yeah, it's very transparent.

An Xbox eco system to play games wherever you are, even if you don't have the hardware.

A subscription service with access to 1st party games and a bunch of third party.

It's really that simple, which honestly I love. Lol

The amount of games I've just tried but booting up on the cloud to see if I'd like... is actually insane.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Blessed be the day when a positive xbox thread isn’t going to become dull by a sea of salt barely disguised as a really poor attempt at wit and sarcasm. You are so goddamn boring - try harder so at least there is some entertainment value.

And yes, not a lot of companies would invest into passion projects like Pentiment and leave total creative control to its creators. Definitely not the other two.

it-is-not-this-day-not-today.gif

This day, we bathe in the salt.

Last edited:

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
I know right. It's amazing what 100 billion dollars will buy you.
I dont get it. Are you bitter because one particular company can afford to purchase developers and publishers? You forget that the same developers and publishers have to agree to be purchased? Clearly both sides saw the benefits of the acquisition. What else matters? Now they own insane amount of valuable IP's. This includes Obsidian. Phil was a huge component of that.

If you wouldve told me just 5 years ago Microsoft would own the single biggest stable of developers and publishers under their own umbrella, I wouldve laughed dat ass straight to the grave. No need to be bitter. You should be happy. Phil and Co have pushed Sony and Nintendo to up their game.

Last edited:

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Jesus, the campaign to mythologize this guy is out of this world.

After the Actiblizzard deal, Xbox will have the best stable of first party developers in the business

A/B? The company that releases the much maligned (on this forum at least) COD and OW? Like, I'm all for MS shoring up weaknesses in its portfolio if they've got the cash flow to do so, but it is wild how companies that folks previously took pleasure in trashing, are now seen as "blue chippers" because they are now a MS property.

Reading comprehension. How does that work?

I never doubted Microsoft had money. Of course they do. Phil spencer was the man that got Microsoft to invest money into Xbox. Sony would do the same if they had the money Microsoft has. So would Nintendo. I'm surprised so many have an issue with what Microsoft is doing. 1 to 1, Sony nor Nintendo can compete with Microsoft financially.

And I wouldnt say their "trying" to do anything. They're literally in the middle of purchasing one of the biggest publishers in the industry for $70 billion. Before Activision, they bought another publisher for $7 billion.

So we've established that MS has more funds than Sony and Nintendo combined times 5? Woo-hoo...Remarkable...
As to Sony and Nintendo doing the same if they had similar means? No, buddy, they would not have...Japanese companies are way more conservative with their spending, than their western counterparts. Neither Nintendo, nor Sony would habe bought Activision if they had multiples of their current resources. It is just not their Modus Operandi...

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
I dont get it. Are you bitter because one particular company can afford to purchase developers and publishers? You forget that the same developers and publishers have to agree to be purchased? Clearly both sides saw the benefits of the acquisition. What else matters? Now they own insane amount of valuable IP's. This includes Obsidian. Phil was a huge component of that.

If you wouldve told me just 5 years ago Microsoft would own the single biggest stable of developers and publishers under their own umbrella, I wouldve laughed dat ass straight to the grave. No need to be bitter. You should be happy. Phil and Co have pushed Sony and Nintendo to up their game.
Not bitter in the slightest. I was merely stating a fact. Being a PC guy first I get everything anyway. Ease down warrior.

Top Bottom