• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer Wants to Revive Old Activsion IPs

jigglet

Banned
Part of me wishes it was EA that MS bought, just so I might have a greater than 0% chance of ever seeing another Red Alert game :(

42873622gs.png

Would be nice, but what I really want is World of Warcraft Remake (Vanilla).

SSfox

Wow dude. A speculative nostalgia thread about reviving old Activision IPs and you make a comment that in this context is pretty ignorant, then insult someone that points that out.

Anyway, I have fond memories of Soldier of Fortune because it was one of the early 3D games that had semi detailed gore in it. It was basically the only selling point and I remember spending more time shooting people and admiring the gore than actually playing the missions. I don't think there is a need to revive the IP because it was the tech that sold it back then.
I can see what you see it that way. But it wasn't really the point i wanted to make.

Also if you are capable to read you should have noticed that i'm the one of who got insulted first, not the opposite.

Anyway to the topic my point of view was that MS hasn't even been doing almost anything with their own IPs, like Banjo, Conker, to name only those. Even Killer Instinct when they brought it back after many years of fans begging it was an AA free to play, they didn't even go all the way, they can spend 70 Billions this easy to aquire publishers but can't put 100 millions $ into reviving their own franchises that fans were begging for in a dopest way... And now they're talking about reviving Activition IPs... if you can't you see the ironie here then well.

Last edited:
He doesn't want to revive anything...
Nobody is asking for these games.
This is pure Phil the gamer good guy PR, act like there would be more games coming out after the acquisition...saviour of gaming.
How can people fall for this BS?

Kagey K

Banned
He doesn't want to revive anything...
Nobody is asking for these games.
This is pure Phil the gamer good guy PR, act like there would be more games coming out after the acquisition...saviour of gaming.
How can people fall for this BS?
Pull the stick out.

I can't imagine being this pissed off because some of us are having fun talking about old games and reminiscing.

Try not being a salty cunt one time and have some fun.

There's no Activision game you would like to see reborn? Or remastered in a modern world?

Pull the stick out.

I can't imagine being this pissed off because some of us are having fun talking about old games and reminiscing.

Try not being a salty cunt one time and have some fun.

There's no Activision game you would like to see reborn? Or remastered in a modern world?
You seem the one who is angry about something...
It's OK keep the stick in you seem to enjoy it.
Just giving you a dose of reality.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Well yeah, no shit. You don't spend that money to just leave things like Guitar Hero un-rebooted.

bender

What time is it?
Well yeah, no shit. You don't spend that money to just leave things like Guitar Hero un-rebooted.

Introducing Guitar Pass for Game Pass.

...not a horrible idea, actually.

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Introducing Guitar Pass for Game Pass.

...not a horrible idea, actually.

Give me a DJ Hero controller I can use to play Halo. Make it happen, Phil.

Kagey K

Banned
I'm sure Phil could acquire Harmonix for the change in his couch at this point.
Epic just bought them so they might go a bit above premium.

I'm still waiting to see what Exactly Epic has in store for them.

I just don't see how Harmonix fits into Epics plan.

Last edited:

kyussman

Singularity 2 with the ability to deform and renew entire levels(rather than the odd object in the first game)would be very nice.
Not gonna happen though is it,lol.

Camreezie

We have seen this before even 20 years ago. How many Rare games were revived when they picked up all those IPs?

Last edited:
Right. Every time they've tried this they've failed and has led to poorly received titles.

Part of that is probably because MS lacks consistency and part is probably because people have rose tinted glasses and things move on.
They revived Killer Instinct, which aside from Titanfall, was the only thing about the Xbone’s launch that didn’t suck. The complete edition of KI is one of the best fighting games ever made. 360 era their revivals sucked but they’ve gotten better. We’ll have to see how the new Perfect Dark pans out.

The Alien

Banned
Not Activision, but in the deal MS would also get the game/IP "Gun". If anyone remembers that cross gen OG/360 title...believe Neversoft (that name! Lol) made it.

Fantastic open world Western. Reallybwell done with varied mossions and gameplay. If MS revived that, could be a Red Dead competitor.
Hell, I'd settle for back compat.

quest

Not Banned from OT
Rare has said publicly that they have no interest in working on their old IPs.
Exactly it sounds like the plan is to pull some of the studios off of the call of duty factory and let them make games again instead of supporting COD. Those studios will have the option to use those old IPs or make anything else they want. Matt Booty will give them creative freedom which we all begged Microsoft to forever.

DaGwaphics

Exactly it sounds like the plan is to pull some of the studios off of the call of duty factory and let them make games again instead of supporting COD. Those studios will have the option to use those old IPs or make anything else they want. Matt Booty will give them creative freedom which we all begged Microsoft to forever.

It's great news! Let them make what they are passionate about.

Dolomite

Tenchu is really the only one on my radar, if they even own it. But I'm sure some of these older adventure IPs would be good smaller titles for Gamepass.
Holy fuck shit I didn't realize a new Tenchu was a possibility. There are literally ZERO stealth based ninja games out that can scratch the Tenchu itch. Please please please bring Tenchu back

TechJunk

Xbox now owns Sierra On-Line and their back catalog.
Would love to see a new Space Quest, Police Quest, Quest for Glory, King's Quest or Gabriel Knight.

Top Bottom