• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer Wants to Revive Old Activsion IPs

mansoor1980

i want an open world hexen
1=first person view
2=RPG
3=character classes/skilltree/XP based leveling up
4=large map with variety in areas , weather etc
5=quest design similar to witcher 3
6=single player/co-op
7=hire Jeremy Soule for OST

Javthusiast

Banned
A new Warcraft RTS or Warcraft 3 sequel?
Cat Please GIF by Atinum

Give this cat everything it wants!
Season 4 Reaction GIF by The Office

FFS, everyone’s talking Hexen and DJ Hero, when what we truly need is Microsoft to make a next-Gen sequel to River Raid.

Or better yet, Keystone Kapers.

Oooooohhh, or how about a real-time Enduro? Possibly with a cross-promotion within Forza Horizon 5?

Or even… [goes on to mention ten more Activision Atari 2600 games]

Last edited:

mortal

Gold Member
Will none of this happen til after June 2023?
Probably even later than that. We're still waiting on the fruits from the Zenimax acquisition, and most of the titles those studios are working on are slated for 2023 beyond.
So the Activision-Blizzard titles are probably mid to tail-end of this console generation.

Although I can see Microsoft reaching into their newly acquired Activision-Blizzard catalog to bring some older titles to Gamepass in the meantime.

FStubbs

how about a Pitfall! reimagining, like a Tomb Raider or Uncharted type of game except you have to jump over a lot of pits and alligators
Microsoft's answer to Uncharted, huh.

It would be interesting to see what a modern King's Quest would be like. wRPG?

IDappa

CTR PC Port
New high tech Heretic/Hexen
F2P Vigilante 8 Battle Royale with crossplay. The first successful car combat battle royale game. It has to be a thing ffs.
New Crash
New Spyro
Tenchu Reboot
New GUN
Prototype reboot.
Fuck yes tenchu

This can only mean we're getting a revitalized Raven doing a politically incorrect Soldier of Fortune powered by Ghoul Engine 3.0 featuring John Mullins and his moustache plowing through the enemies of America.
I wish

King's Quest reimagined could be something really special. My brother and I played that series and more Sierra classics back when they launched. Space Quest done properly too please, not kickstarted.

Also...

thexder_1.png

KungFucius

King Snowflake
Who told you was mainly refering to Acti game, little phony? Huh, i was talking games in general.
Wow dude. A speculative nostalgia thread about reviving old Activision IPs and you make a comment that in this context is pretty ignorant, then insult someone that points that out.

Anyway, I have fond memories of Soldier of Fortune because it was one of the early 3D games that had semi detailed gore in it. It was basically the only selling point and I remember spending more time shooting people and admiring the gore than actually playing the missions. I don't think there is a need to revive the IP because it was the tech that sold it back then.

PhaseJump

Banned
King's Quest reimagined could be something really special. My brother and I played that series and more Sierra classics back when they launched. Space Quest done properly too please, not kickstarted.

Also...

thexder_1.png

Thexder is owned by GungHo, who own Game Arts. Square Enix published a new version called Thexder NEO on the PSP.

Also...

KQ_CC-PC_Bundle-Art_Capsule_Main.png

Thexder is owned by GungHo, who own Game Arts. Square Enix published a new version called Thexder NEO on the PSP.

Also...

Damn it, I'm still going to dream about an Xbox Thexder reboot.

I subbed/played the King's Quest collection. I suppose I'd rather a full update and reimagining to it if MS/Xbox went after it. Totally new engine, mechanics etc. A mature BOTW type thing.

mortal

Gold Member
Yea because they're not working on any games right now.
Big Brother Ugh GIF by Global TV
but I didn't say that...

I'm saying that the games they are currently working on wont be seen for some time.
The average development time of AAA games is 4-5 years, including preproduction. That's assuming there aren't any unforeseen internal delays in production, which does tend to happen.

Microsoft buying these studios wont magically speed up their production and we'll suddenly have all of these games next year. Especially the ones that will be greenlit by Microsoft lol
These things take time, and it's better to have patience and keep expectations in check.

Last edited:

TLZ

Banned
Although I can see Microsoft reaching into their newly acquired Activision-Blizzard catalog to bring some older titles to Gamepass in the meantime.
Oh I meant this part, the current and older Catalog. So we don't have to wait til after June 2023?

This is the best part of the acquisition to me. Bring back the classics and do something interesting with them. So many companies sit on amazing catalogs and don’t do anything with them. My favorite part is where he says “my favorite” games. Haha I’d say the same shit.

Hopefully he’s more of a Rock ‘n Roll Racing type of guy than a Gun fan.

Also, bring SINGULARITY back. That was a game.

Tschumi

Every time he does something less disingenuous than overstating the importance of TFLOPs i like him more and more

Tschumi

Also...

That was alright, played a bit of it a year or two ago.. kind of like broken sword but more fantastical and engaging.. i could be wrong but i think it was set as a series of skits based in the modern day.. like the neverending story or whatever.. i remember that kind of tested my immersion

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Chopper command
Grand Prix
Kaboom!

Pretty crazy activision has lasted since the Atari days

Hoddi

There aren't many games I'd like to see return like Interstate '76. It's obviously dated now but that game had some damn good groove.

But it's more distant now than the actual year 1976 was back then. I hate it.

mortal

Gold Member
Oh I meant this part, the current and older Catalog. So we don't have to wait til after June 2023?
Considering this deal is still being finalized. It's plausible we could see some showing up during 2023-2024.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: TLZ

megamerican

Yeah that'll totally happen. I think if they don't unveil a new Hexen reboot the shareholders will revolt. Hopefully once Phil has a minute to find out if they actually own it or not development will be green lit ASAP.

unfortunately a lot of the great games they made were licensed games. Transformers and Marvel games. These studios made some great ones

The last Backwards Compatibility push surprisingly had a bunch of licensed games. Maybe papa Phil can do some magic and get use War for Cybertron & X-Men Wolverine Origins BC

Top Bottom