• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer Wants to Revive Old Activsion IPs

Megatron

I would love to see stuff like Tony Hawk brought back. I expect the overwhelming majority will be 'revived' by just being ported to Series X and put on gamepass. Which will also be really cool, TBH.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Heretic was a fun Doom clone but I always liked Hexen more. Just found it more interesting overall.

I think a lot more people were exposed to Hexen due to the console ports in the late 90s.
It's true that I never played Hexen until quite recently. Saw my older bro play it back in the day, but it looked way too complicated for my toddler brain.

Guess playing it back in the day was cooler, since it was something new instead of just another Doom clone.

SirTerry-T

Do it, Phil...
LwBSkCR.jpg

Holammer

Pause COD for one year and let Raven use the usual budget & resources to work on a new Hexen.
With a story/co-op and a competitive element, it would be a huge gamble. But I think it would be pretty refreshing for everyone.

Hari Seldon

Guitar Hero is definitely due. An entire generation of kids has never played these games because the instruments are impossible to find. Although I really want Rock Band back because I never had space before to get the drums haha.

Kacho

Gold Member
It's true that I never played Hexen until quite recently. Saw my older bro play it back in the day, but it looked way too complicated for my toddler brain.

Guess playing it back in the day was cooler, since it was something new instead of just another Doom clone.
It’s been a while since I gave Hexen a go but I imagine it’s a nightmare to play nowadays. I believe people criticize how confusing the world was. Definitely a game most needed a Prima guide for.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Tenchu is really the only one on my radar, if they even own it. But I'm sure some of these older adventure IPs would be good smaller titles for Gamepass.

Banned
how about a Pitfall! reimagining, like a Tomb Raider or Uncharted type of game except you have to jump over a lot of pits and alligators

if they make it cartoon like in style it could actually be a cool idea. Pixar Style Tomb Raider where you can platform on alligators lol

Banned
Tenchu is really the only one on my radar, if they even own it. But I'm sure some of these older adventure IPs would be good smaller titles for Gamepass.

yeah who owns Tenchu? that series had so many publishers... Sega, Sony, Activision, Microsoft... it's wild
I think From Software owns that IP going by the fact that they self published some of them in Japan

Like Tenchu Z was published by Microsoft in the west, but in Japan it was published by From Software
but on the other side, the first game was not developed by them nor published by them... it was made and published by Acquire (Octopath Traveler) in cooperation with Sony

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
Guitar Hero is definitely due. An entire generation of kids has never played these games because the instruments are impossible to find. Although I really want Rock Band back because I never had space before to get the drums haha.
Maybe there's a chance to get a new Rock Band with Harmonix now owned by Epic, but I'm not sure.

There was Band Hero (The Rock Band ripoff,) made by Activision so maybe they will do that instead.

Kacho

Gold Member
yeah who owns Tenchu? that series had so many publishers... Sega, Sony, Activision, Microsoft... it's wild
I think From Software owns that IP going by the fact that they self published some of them in Japan

Like Tenchu Z was published by Microsoft in the west, but in Japan it was published by From Software
but on the other side, the first game was not developed by them nor published by them... it was made and published by Acquire (Octopath Traveler) in cooperation with Sony
Yeah I think FROM owns that one, with Sekiro being a continuation of that series in spirit.

chonga

I have seen Microsoft revive old IPs before, it wasn't pretty.
Right. Every time they've tried this they've failed and has led to poorly received titles.

Part of that is probably because MS lacks consistency and part is probably because people have rose tinted glasses and things move on.

If Phil Spencer actually wanted to make a new Hexen, he could have just made one under another name. It's an ancient IP with close to zero brand recognition among contemporary gamers, so having the rights to the name isn't gonna score them points with anyone outside of a handful of boomers.

Goalus

If Phil Spencer actually wanted to make a new Hexen, he could have just made one under another name. It's an ancient IP with close to zero brand recognition among contemporary gamers, so having the rights to the name isn't gonna score them points with anyone outside of a handful of boomers.
I want the classic games (Heretic 1 & 2, Hexen 1 & 2) on console, like Doom 1 & 2 and Quake, which is now possible.

After that they can make new games.

Drew1440

FAO Phil Spencer:
Put Wolfenstein 2009 back on Steam
Put the old Call Of Duty titles to a sensible price, £30 for Black ops is a rip off

dem

Activision IP is actually far crappier than I would have imagined for a company that has been around since the dawn of video games.

splattered

CTR PC Port
New high tech Heretic/Hexen
F2P Vigilante 8 Battle Royale with crossplay. The first successful car combat battle royale game. It has to be a thing ffs.
New Crash
New Spyro
Tenchu Reboot
New GUN
Prototype reboot.

OMG .. i totally forgot Vigilante 8 was an Activision franchise.

I LOVED both Twisted Metal and Vigilante 8 as a youngster... it would blow my mind to see the series make a good comeback.

YES PLEASE.

Top Bottom