• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer: The mega-interview on Project Scarlett, PC Gaming and more (PC Games Hardware Germany)

TLZ

Banned
I believe facts, you should also.

P56Xuod1GBPWyR3A.jpg

AMD-Navi-GPU-With-RDNA-Architecture_2-740x198.jpeg

^This is from 5700 line of cards...

"AMD Radeon RX 5700 Series With First Gen Navi Have a Hybrid RDNA and GCN Architecture, Next-Gen Navi ’20’ To Be Pure RDNA Based"

They're calling their GCN hybrid RDNA, they're trying to mask it but that's exactly what it is, it's still GCN.
Who's "they're"? AMD never said that. That came from sweclockers.

Mass Shift

They are, that is just their theoretical ceiling. The GPU max resolution is 8k and the max output of the HDMI output is 120hz.

Both can theoretically be done but it would be limited to some smaller scope games like Terraria etc.

Games like Terraria don't need performance metrics like that but we would hear the laughter all the way in heaven if those were the real-world examples that MS and Sony were shooting for. :pie_roffles:

thelastword

Banned
Also, don't forget BC. Playing Panzer Dragon Orta in 4K/60fps on Xbox One X is glorious!! Soon to be played in 8K/120fps with Scarlett :messenger_smiling_hearts:

Sega needs to put all their games on PC. do some remakes, do something.....Where is Orta PC, VF Showdown, Gun Valkyrie, Sega GT....Come on Sega...

8K, there goes that word again that neither MS or Sony are letting go of.

8K, 120FPS even. Just like a particular Gran Turismo demo that Sony showed off last year.

Maybe these consoles aren’t as weak as some would lead you to believe?
That's just the new hdmi 2.1 specification.

Nothing more than that.

Sure, some indie/remake will eventually get to 8k in game.

cireza

Banned
Just give me 1080p@60fps already. Some games run like shit on my TV with Xbox One X because the developers did not bother making a 1080p option, and output in all cases in 4K whatever the TV. Have we finally reached the end of the realms of stupidity, or are we going to go even further ?

If an Xbox One X does not guarantee that I will get 1080@60fps on all games, then no console will. I will have to go through the exact same shit with Scarlett or whatever, because games will be forced to output at 4K or 8K@30fps.

Last edited:

Shai-Tan

Banned
Who needs 8k, I can barely tell the difference between 4k and full hd. I've tried many games in performance mode and resolution mode and honestly the difference is minuscule.

few of those games are internally running in native 4k. they're running in an intermediate resolution between 1440p and 1800p. the size of your screen also matters. I play a lot of pc games in native 4k on a 65" tv and it's rather obvious whether a game is in 4k or not and sitting less than 10 feet away in a recliner. it's also obvious that there is a lot of room for improvement.

that said talk of 8k games isn't serious because it's a massive increase in pixels over 4k which my 2080ti can barely render on many current gen games. i'm interested in 8k video. 8k games not so much.

DESTROYA

Who actually has a 8K TV ?
I know I don’t and not sure to many people do so I’m not sure why that is the goal for next gen consoles.
They better have a performance option for all games on a hardware level ( like a PC)for lower res or all that power will be wasted.
I’ll take 60FPS/1080p all day personally, I actually game on a 17” 120 hrz HDR monitor and have no desire to go bigger or buy a 4K TV just to game on because I barely watch TV these days.( I would seem like a waste of money to me)
That’s just me and I’m sure I’m the minority and not the majority .

Last edited:
German website PC Games Hardware sat down with Phil Spencer and had a good interview, enjoy. (Translated with Google)

Yeah cool stuff, and oh im not allowed to talk in the navi next gen speculation group saying i was contacted to provide proof. I had the dm and the slide ready but no one ever contacted me. Too bad as i thought this place was modded in good faith. I guess not, “put up or shut up”. What 😂

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
8K @ 120Hz is not possible on 2.1 spec regardless.

Max Hz at 8K is 60. 4K (and below) @ 120Hz on 2.1 spec.

They are just letting us know they will be supporting HDMI 2.1 which is a great thing. That will bring full VRR, instant game mode switching, and lower latency across the board.

Hopefully 2020 televisions all support 2.1 (VRR) more than just the Samsung lineup. They should.

Again with the 8k? Honestly, for most games they should be aiming for 2k 60fps. But as usual these people can't help themselves.

he is clearly saying in that interview that it's unlikely that we will see 8K/120fps games this generation but morons in this forum are telling the opposite...

Banned
Racing games have never been too intensive either.

Even PS3 had GT running at 1080P, 60FPS

GT6 didn't run at 1080p it ran at 1440x1080
1080p = 1920x1080

and it had pretty shitty Antialiasing compared to Forza or even GT5, so in many ways Forza 4 looked better, and while Forza 4 had an almost 100% perfect 60fps, GT6 had drops to thr low 40s, and that wasn't a rare find

Last edited:

Dlacy13g

8K talking points are just something to talk to, to express power, but they have no practical real world application. Xbox has to talk about it because Sony brought it to the table in the Wired reveal. Neither will move off of it either since its now symbolic of their next gen power even if 8K isnt even out for mass consumption.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
he is clearly saying in that interview that it's unlikely that we will see 8K/120fps games this generation but morons in this forum are telling the opposite...

Bring it down a level.

Nobody is saying 8K/120Hz because the 2.1 spec can’t even support that.

8K/60Hz and 4K/120Hz and below. Now wether we see any games supporting that, who knows. Simple indie projects would toy with it.

We will see 120Hz on the VR side with 1080p for select games.

What it confirms is that it will have 2.1 spec that carries all the bonuses of VRR, lower latency, and instant game switching.

But they are dropping the 8K and 120Hz lines (like they did on stage a E3) for PR reasons due to the competition dropping the eye catching numbers. Then they later back down in interviews and soften it when the world’s eyes are not on them.

Last edited:

thelastword

Banned
GT6 didn't run at 1080p it ran at 1440x1080
1080p = 1920x1080

and it had pretty shitty Antialiasing compared to Forza or even GT5, so in many ways Forza 4 looked better, and while Forza 4 had an almost 100% perfect 60fps, GT6 had drops to thr low 40s, and that wasn't a rare find
Forza 4 was a good looking game, but it never touched GT5.....Forza 3 and 4 had an aliasing problem however......GT5 looked very crisp on a 1080p screen, minimal jaggies, and you got 4xMSAA at 720p...….

Forza 4 was a good looking game, but it never touched GT5.....Forza 3 and 4 had an aliasing problem however......GT5 looked very crisp on a 1080p screen, minimal jaggies, and you got 4xMSAA at 720p...….
And that resolution was GT5's biggest failing. They strived too hard for image quality, which they might've achieved, but at the cost of framerate - GT5 and 6 struggled immensely with maintaining 60, and GT6 having hefty tearing depending on the selected display mode.

Last edited:

REDRZA MWS

Bring it down a level.

Nobody is saying 8K/120Hz because the 2.1 spec can’t even support that.

8K/60Hz and 4K/120Hz and below. Now wether we see any games supporting that, who knows. Simple indie projects would toy with it.

We will see 120Hz on the VR side with 1080p for select games.

What it confirms is that it will have 2.1 spec that carries all the bonuses of VRR, lower latency, and instant game switching.

But they are dropping the 8K and 120Hz lines (like they did on stage a E3) for PR reasons due to the competition dropping the eye catching numbers. Then they later back down in interviews and soften it when the world’s eyes are not on them.

If we get native 4k/60 on MOST games, that’s good enough for me. 8k I believe will be for blu Ray/streaming videos (if you have the bandwidth with your ISP).

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
If we get native 4k/60 on MOST games, that’s good enough for me. 8k I believe will be for blu Ray/streaming videos (if you have the bandwidth with your ISP).

I think 30 will be most games in 4K, reconstruction techniques will be more frequent as they push the rendering further.

1440p/1080p at 60 should be more common if they bless us with lower resolution / higher framerate options.

Aintitcool

Banned
You would have to sit stupid close to a tv to notice native 8k in video games that don't have as much detail as real life or prerended cgi. Not saying its a worthless experience but video games diminish resolution needs more so than plain video or photography. Because of dev time, and style and character.

Like to make a noticable difference in 8k,do you make 24k resolution textures ??? How hard is it to maintain realism in that resolution?

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
You would have to sit stupid close to a tv to notice native 8k in video games that don't have as much detail as real life or prerended cgi. Not saying its a worthless experience but video games diminish resolution needs more so than plain video or photography. Because of dev time, and style and character.

Like to make a noticable difference in 8k,do you make 24k resolution textures ??? How hard is it to maintain realism in that resolution?

8K is the VR utopia of no screen door effect.

We are not there yet processing wise.

mckmas8808

Banned
Again with the 8k? Honestly, for most games they should be aiming for 2k 60fps. But as usual these people can't help themselves.

Why do so many people get caught up in the 8K, 120 hz talk? We all know they are saying that's the MAX the consoles can do. Nobody is presenting it as the average of most games on the market.

Journey

Banned
Wow. For a game that came out 15 years ago, it looks fantastic with the res and frame rate bump. Actually compares pretty well with modern games.

That's because the OG Xbox was a beast, it was rendering a lot more than we could see, the X1X version was not touched, these were all original assets that we just couldn't see because the game was rendered at such low resolution.

dirthead

Banned
Also, don't forget BC. Playing Panzer Dragon Orta in 4K/60fps on Xbox One X is glorious!! Soon to be played in 8K/120fps with Scarlett :messenger_smiling_hearts:

Am I the only one who's a little irritated by the fact that people are pretending that this is something new when it's basically how the PC's always been?

It's typical Xbox marketing. "Let's pretend something that's always been on the PC is a groundbreaking new feature." Ugh.

I fucking hate Sega for closing down SmileBit. Fuck.

Didn't the game not sell? Can't blame them.

Who needs 8k, I can barely tell the difference between 4k and full hd. I've tried many games in performance mode and resolution mode and honestly the difference is minuscule.

And don't forget that when the game's camera shifts 1 pixel the entire screen turns into a smeary blurry mess because display technology still blows. The higher the resolution gets, the more motion clarity matters. Art assets are just being wasted today. People can't even see the detail when they're moving in games.

Last edited:
Top Bottom