• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer: Tango Gameworks Is Xbox’s First “Great Step” For A Larger Presence In Japan

Gatox

Banned
scalebound has become the symbol of warring?

the game looked over the top generic, and far less japanese imo. feels like kamiya overdid his pandering to his western bosses with a game designed for western audience with too much tongue in cheek cheese
Its amazing how quickly Scalebound went from being a game no one really liked the look of to being a future classic that was DESTROYED BY EVIL MS!!!!!! The second it got cancelled.

Just get a SEX when they are available. It is what I'm doing since Todd is BASED and because TES is one of my favorite VG series.
EPyCP9F.jpg
Won't likely come before next gen. We heard rumors it won't come before 7 to 10 years. And no Fallout before 5 years. It's just like GTA, this who think we'll a get a AAA GTA every 5 years don't get it. Getting a SX for a new TES is pointless at this moment.

Azurro

Banned
damn what's with the copya pasta replies... no need be salty that Phil has the desires and well, deep pockets to fund his japanese expedition...

hopefully we see more japanese developers given console sized budget to make games from their creative minds, something for the flavors and uniqueness

it may not move Xbox sales in japan much but having an international version on GP is a good thing for all of us

You make Phil Spencer sound like Hernan Cortez. :p

MS already tried way harder during the 360 days. Everybody lost, Japan didn't buy Xboxes, the Xbox audience cared little about Japanese games and the PS audience that buys those games had to either wait years or never got to play some of them.

Ever since then, anything MS that says about Japan is just platitudes, they know it's a waste of money to even be there for them.

cireza

Banned
Not taking the initiative
I will let you know that Microsoft definitely took the Initiative...

The_Initiative_Logo.png

Sony have been pretty much buying their place in the market. They started in 1995. Buy an Xbox Series S, some GamePass months, and enjoy some games.

Curious to see what will be the next step...

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
He talks about devs not about their presence in the japanese market. Home console makers doesnt cares about Japan as a market anymore, at least that's what Sony and Microsoft are showing.

I guess its worth a try for MS thanks to GameCloud being a natural fit for Japans wireless infrastructure.

That being said, will Japanese buyers subscribe to a service that is 95% Western titles for 5% domestic product? Don't think so.

Either way it'll finally prove whether the Japanese' ambivalence to Xbox is about the hardware/software or the brand generally.

LMJ

No Phil, Mistwalker Studios was and MS pissed it away, but now with you at the helm and purchasing some top tier Japanese studio talent maybe something can grow from it...Just remember three important things!

1. Let the studio's have their freedom and don't force them to change their vision, box gamers are starving (hell so are PS gamers to an extent) of some quirky Japanese goodness...

2. Don't, I repeat DON'T enforce western cultural rules on the Japanese studios, the last thing we need is more virtue signaling and kowtowing to a vocal minority (reeee) whom had no intention of purchasing your game in the first place! NO CENSORSHIP PHIL!

3. Most importantly, realize that just like with Mistwalker, this is about getting your foot in the door, not winning the Japanese and Japan in one fowl swoop, but rather winning them over slowly...and as such don't shut them down if you don't see immediate returns...

UnNamed

Banned
It's too late, Phil.

Japanese don't even buy games from popular japanese companies and software developers, that market is almost dead. How do you think you will succeed just buying japanese games?

perkelson

0.2% market share, let's go! You can do it, Phil!

People laugh now but looking at state of things Xbox will be having bangers left and right due to their aquisitions.

PS can't even hold onto their own studios as they shut down ANOTHER in japan after they already shut down evolution and liverpool

martino

if by presence he means partnering/owning japan dev studios i believe him
if he means moving games/hardware there i will wait for numbers to speak themselves

Flintty

Calling it the first step indicates there will be a second step. MS confirmed to be buying Sega next Wednesday?

SirTerry-T

I have no interest. Literally of all the studios they bought an ips they now own, the only currently on going ones I give a half shit about are doom, whatever the Arkhane guys put out, and Bethesda. State of decay, halo, gears, forza none of it interests me anymore. Obsidian has to show they can even handle a triple a budget before I get hyped.
And please with this Phil garbage. The only actual pro gamer move under him has been the backwards compatibility. Under him, for the majority of the Xbox one gen the brand still sucked, sales were dog shit, and games were nearly all subpar and sparse. His biggest claim to fame is gamepass, which is a good deal, but he’s in a unique position with a 2 trillion dollar company backing him. It’s not some crazy concept no one has thought of, Netflix for games, he’s just the only one with the resources to try. Trying to hike the price to use your own internet on your console to 120 a year wasn’t pro gamer. Fucking up halo, crackdown 3, and scalebound weren’t pro gamer. Killing the Kinect in its entirety after it was forced on millions of Xbox one owners (I don’t care if he wasn’t the one that made it mandatory, it was mandatory all the same) wasn’t pro gamer. The dog shit games for gold aren’t pro gamer. And buying out a shit load of devs and a publisher because you can’t get your own studios to make console selling games isn’t pro gamer. And hell, this ones petty but it blows my mind: including disposable batteries in a controller whose internals are nearly a decade old at this point and still charging 60 for it isn’t pro gamer.
Looks like you take videogames way too seriously. Put the controller down and read a book, take a walk... anything.
Gaming is a fun way of entertaining yourself when time allows but that's all it is. In the big scheme of things, there are issues that are far, far more valid for getting this wound up about.
This mindset, it's not healthy.

Interfectum

I have no interest. Literally of all the studios they bought an ips they now own, the only currently on going ones I give a half shit about are doom, whatever the Arkhane guys put out, and Bethesda. State of decay, halo, gears, forza none of it interests me anymore. Obsidian has to show they can even handle a triple a budget before I get hyped.
And please with this Phil garbage. The only actual pro gamer move under him has been the backwards compatibility. Under him, for the majority of the Xbox one gen the brand still sucked, sales were dog shit, and games were nearly all subpar and sparse. His biggest claim to fame is gamepass, which is a good deal, but he’s in a unique position with a 2 trillion dollar company backing him. It’s not some crazy concept no one has thought of, Netflix for games, he’s just the only one with the resources to try. Trying to hike the price to use your own internet on your console to 120 a year wasn’t pro gamer. Fucking up halo, crackdown 3, and scalebound weren’t pro gamer. Killing the Kinect in its entirety after it was forced on millions of Xbox one owners (I don’t care if he wasn’t the one that made it mandatory, it was mandatory all the same) wasn’t pro gamer. The dog shit games for gold aren’t pro gamer. And buying out a shit load of devs and a publisher because you can’t get your own studios to make console selling games isn’t pro gamer. And hell, this ones petty but it blows my mind: including disposable batteries in a controller whose internals are nearly a decade old at this point and still charging 60 for it isn’t pro gamer.
Good One Lol GIF by Justin

Arachnid

Evil Within 3! Make it happen Phil! You have one of the biggest survival horror influences of all time working for you now. Do not waste him.

Evil Within 3! Make it happen Phil! You have one of the biggest survival horror influences of all time working for you now. Do not waste him.
Allegedly he has a dream game he never got to make and was keeping him from retirement. Hopefully Phil gives him all the money to make whatever he wants

NullZ3r0

Banned
Man fuck the Xbox brigade lately. You guys are way too happy about a trillion dollar company swinging their dick around in an industry they’ve up till this point failed in. Ohhh yeaaa!!! Microsoft bought another company! Wooo! Yes Microsoft, win the exclusives war by just buying an assload of developers!! Woo! That’s what we all wanted! That’s what we meant by Xbox needs better exclusives. Not stupid garbage like restructuring 343i to make halo games that aren’t ass. Not taking the initiative off of making more tired ass gears games and letting them make new ip, noo that sounds so booorrringg! What’s that? Rare finally got off shit Kinect games and made a good popular game, ew what a fluke. Quick, buy more studios. Oh a publisher, yea why not! Everyone’s way better off if Bethesda games don’t come to PlayStation anymore. That’s a win win. Win because windows and Xbox players can play them. And a definite win because the millions on PlayStation can’t. Woooh!
Seriously. It’s trippy seeing this shit. Like I can’t imagine music fans being excited by universal media group partnering with Pandora to release all their music on that platform only. I can’t see movie buffs being happy about A24 being bought by Apple and all their movies only coming to Apple TV. This is just weird.
I'm an ex-Sega fanboy. I have no sympathy for Playstation fans. What goes around comes around.

Remember the Dreamcast.

Kokoloko85

I doubt Japan cares about Tango games lol.
But MS has the money to buy companies like Sega, Square, Namco, Capcom which really could make a difference in Japan.

Buying Bethesda is the biggest purchase in gaming history.
Luckily I really don’t care for their games so Im not missing much, Bethesda themselves in my eyes has gone downhill since Fallout 3 and Oblivion.

I did enjoy Doom though And will miss any Quake game they make

I wonder if the plan if they do buy sega is to use it as a hub. Like buy sega and then buy smaller Japanese studios like Bokeh and let them grow under sega. Sega would be the XGS of Japan and they could develop Japanese talent since I doubt any current major japanese developer except for sega would consider joining xbox. Sega might be willing just because of their previous relationship.

Interfectum

Man fuck the Xbox brigade lately. You guys are way too happy about a trillion dollar company swinging their dick around in an industry they’ve up till this point failed in. Ohhh yeaaa!!! Microsoft bought another company! Wooo! Yes Microsoft, win the exclusives war by just buying an assload of developers!! Woo! That’s what we all wanted! That’s what we meant by Xbox needs better exclusives. Not stupid garbage like restructuring 343i to make halo games that aren’t ass. Not taking the initiative off of making more tired ass gears games and letting them make new ip, noo that sounds so booorrringg! What’s that? Rare finally got off shit Kinect games and made a good popular game, ew what a fluke. Quick, buy more studios. Oh a publisher, yea why not! Everyone’s way better off if Bethesda games don’t come to PlayStation anymore. That’s a win win. Win because windows and Xbox players can play them. And a definite win because the millions on PlayStation can’t. Woooh!
Seriously. It’s trippy seeing this shit. Like I can’t imagine music fans being excited by universal media group partnering with Pandora to release all their music on that platform only. I can’t see movie buffs being happy about A24 being bought by Apple and all their movies only coming to Apple TV. This is just weird.
ray liotta laughing GIF

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
It's too late, Phil.

Japanese don't even buy games from popular japanese companies and software developers, that market is almost dead. How do you think you will succeed just buying japanese games?

japanese games are popular in the west. not sure why everyone thinks this is some opportunity to dunk on phil like he is desperately trying to sell Xbox in japan. Nintendo has the entire country in a rear naked choke while sony and MS are completely dead there.

I love how this video game community thinks that a video game developer should just stop trying to succeed in a tough market because they haven't already succeeded.

Jesus talk about a meltdown. Sorry you are upset but It happens, its business. Sony bought most of their studios too and they outspent Sega and Nintendo and built a lot of hype for the PS brand. The Xbox division now has the full financial backing of MS and now we are seeing them open their warchest. Its the same thing that's happening now. People don't know if third party games they loved will come to PS5 because MS can literally buy anyone. Its building hype for Xbox and uncertainty for the PS brand going forward. Like I said Sony had way more deals to keep third party games exclusive back in the day.

Renozokii

Jesus talk about a meltdown. Sorry you are upset but It happens, its business. Sony bought most of their studios too and they outspent Sega and Nintendo and built a lot of hype for the PS brand. The Xbox division now has the full financial backing of MS and now we are seeing them open their warchest. Its the same thing that's happening now. People don't know if third party games they loved will come to PS5 because MS can literally buy anyone. Its building hype for Xbox and uncertainty for the PS brand going forward. Like I said Sony had way more deals to keep third party games exclusive back in the day.
The comment took a solid 2 minutes to write and was basically just venting. If it makes you feel better to call it a melt down so be it.

>Sorry you are upset but It happens, its business.

Thanks for demonstrating my point exactly. You aren’t a stakeholder in Microsoft. Them spending ass loads of money to make more money doesn’t make you more money. You are a consumer. You are not better off in anyway from all of these acquisitions. The only possible argument is that you get more games on gamepass if you are a subscriber but even then deals could have been made without all the acquisitions. Some of your are honestly letting your fanboyism reach a point to where you are genuinely celebrating a 2 trillion dollar buying their computing out of a particular industry. Why?

>Sony bought most of their studios too and they outspent Sega and Nintendo and built a lot of hype for the PS brand.

Im not against any and all acquisitions. You will never hear a peep out of me about MS buying playground. If they had bought bungie back in the day it would have made sense. MS is buying studios with 0 funding issues that they have no close relationship just because they have the money to do so. There were people here getting hyped about the prospect of Kojima productions getting bought by MS. That doesn’t seem like a weird level of corporate ass kissing

>The Xbox division now has the full financial backing of MS and now we are seeing them open their warchest. Its the same thing that's happening now.

And why as a consumer does this excite you? You aren’t getting more games because of this, you are getting the same amount but others get less. Again, literally my entire point. I browse movie forums and I never saw anyone praising Disney for buying fox aside from Marvel fans happy Marvel got shit like fantastic four and xmen back. But there weren’t people out there elated that Netflix or Apple TV subscribers were going to lose fox movies and shows over time. No one was overjoyed about Disney having more dominance and control over the film industry.

>People don't know if third party games they loved will come to PS5 because MS can literally buy anyone.

And does that get you aroused? Does the idea of a massive corporation spending money earned in other fields to take over an industry they’ve historically faltered in, causing a fanbase of tens of millions to worry or question getting the console they genuinely prefer because who knows whose next to get bought, that excited gou

>Its building hype for Xbox and uncertainty for the PS brand going forward.

yes. When you have nearly infinite money you can do that. Sucks for consumers though, right? Which you and ever

>Like I said Sony had way more deals to keep third party games exclusive back in the day.

Okay? And most if not all of those games eventually went multi platform in future releases. We are also talking decades ago by back in the day right? When the industry was in its infancy. Sony took the gaming industry more seriously early on and benefited from it. But the industry is corporate as all hell now. Most of these developers weren’t struggling and most of them weren’t unsure of how their games would perform. I don’t want Sony to buy exclusive rights for a year for gta 6. That would suck for tens of millions of people. I wouldn’t be going around in joy from that.

I like Tangoworks and Evil Within and really hope for an Evil Within 3, but if he thinks that is the secret for more success in Japan with Gamepass, I think he’s going to be disappointed.

SkylineRKR

Nah, Tango's output is low. And their games aren't that succesful in Japan. Ghostwire will be on PS5 first as well. So far I can't say Tango is great. TEW was fun but janky, TEW2 I couldn't get into. Mikami did a better job at Platinum with Vanquish.

Top Bottom