• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer: Tango Gameworks Is Xbox’s First “Great Step” For A Larger Presence In Japan

"I’m ready to go to Tokyo. Yeah, I mean go see Tango [Gameworks], a studio that I have such respect for the history of the creations there. I’ve talked for a long time about our desire to have more of a first-party presence in Japan. This is a great step there.

So I mean, just thinking about the map of where these teams are, and they just talk about all the games they’re working on, but I can’t wait to spend more time with the Tango team and get to know them."

Phil Spencer, Head of Xbox

ManaByte

breaking bad he cant keep getting away with this GIF

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year

"I’m ready to go to Tokyo. Yeah, I mean go see Tango [Gameworks], a studio that I have such respect for the history of the creations there. I’ve talked for a long time about our desire to have more of a first-party presence in Japan. This is a great step there.

So I mean, just thinking about the map of where these teams are, and they just talk about all the games they’re working on, but I can’t wait to spend more time with the Tango team and get to know them."

Phil Spencer, Head of Xbox

But he did not say "first." 🤔

Stuart360

Japan to Microsoft is like the kid who keeps getting told they cant have something. They should just let it go.
I mean having Japanese games on Xbox sure, but Xbox selling significant numbers to mean anything in Japan just isnt going to happen. I mean sure the 360 sold 1.1mil but that was just an anomoly, and almost certainly will never happen again.

Woo-Fu

Banned
I have to give credit to Phil for making time to pander to people whose effect on the bottom line is almost undetectable. It's kind of hilarious that the people who most want Xbox to succeed in Japan aren't even in Japan, or working for Microsoft.

Last edited:
I think this is great. I have been super happy playing through the Yakuza games as they hit Gamepass (I'm only at Kiwami 2 though, these games are crazy long!) and I want to see more Japanese games on Xbox and Gamepass.

I don't think it will help their console sales though. On the other hand, I fully expect a Gamepass streaming deal with Japanese phone providers sometime in the near future. They are going to need a lot more Japanese games for that.

levyjl1988

Banned
If Microsoft was really serious of getting Xbox into the market of Japan, purchase a Japanese studio like Sega, throw loads of money, and bundle Xbox Series X with waifus or something.
Make high-quality games similar to Fire Emblem and people will flock to it as long as it is exclusive to the console. Hell Microsoft should buy up Konami.

I have to give credit to Phil for making time to pander to people whose effect on the bottom line is almost undetectable. It's kind of hilarious that the people who most want Xbox to succeed in Japan aren't even in Japan, or working for Microsoft.
Haven't had an Xbox console since 360, same with ps3. As a PC gamer, who doesn't live in Japan, and doesn't work for MS, I'm cool with this. MORE games everyone.

Last edited:

LordCBH

Japan to Microsoft is like the kid who keeps getting told they cant have something. They should just let it go.
I mean having Japanese games on Xbox sure, but Xbox selling significant numbers to mean anything in Japan just isnt going to happen. I mean sure the 360 sold 1.1mil but that was just an anomoly, and almost certainly will never happen again.

Look. If it sells 1000 units it’ll more than double what they usually do lol

Fat Frog

I advertised for Google Stadia
Had to wait for Zenimax to close so the regulators wouldn’t see them buying both companies together. 😅
:)
Sega is now like a Transformers (separate entities for Video Games, Pachinko et cetera)

Technically, parts of Sega could be now sold to anyone:

They sold the arcades to Genda.
They could sell the Video games to Microsoft, Sony, Google or the Pachinko to Konami, chinese companies.

Lone Wolf

Why would anyone be happy with MS flinging their duck around making their presence in gaming larger and more widespread by just spending money? Start a dev based in Japan and grow it over time and I’ll respect that.
Hopefully Microsoft makes moves to earn your respect 🙄

Top Bottom