• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer Suggests Perfect Dark Reboot Helps Xbox Lineup Become Less Male-Oriented

Renozokii

You're pro CRT. NOT surprised. The hook was supposed to be Dr. Jordan Peterson's opinion, but you guys don't like him much, do you...
You’re making this thread extremely political and it all stems from the fact that you’ve very seriously likely become indoctrinated by people solely looking to profit off of hooking you on podcasts and that sort of shit to the point where you can’t grasp basic differences between communism and capitalism. You really need to take a step back from politics and breathe my man, you’ll feel a ton better.

Renozokii

That podcast was in the top 5 Goolgle searches. I've never seen it before I skimmed it for a quick example of many to link. So, what color is it? Be honest...
So you’ve never even listened to it chose to link a political, conservative PODCAST to “educate” me on something as basic as capitalism vs communism? You are sinking lower and lower in terms of these responses. What color is it? The guy self identifies as conservative and basis his entire image around being a very right individual from top to bottom, is that a joke? I literally quoted his about section. Please, christ do yourself and everyone reading this garbage a favor and stop replying. You have nothing legitimate to add, it’s abundantly obvious.

Last edited:
So you’ve never even listened to it chose to link a political, conservative PODCAST to “educate” me on something as basic as capitalism vs communism? You are sinking lower and lower in terms of these responses. What color is it? The guy self identifies as conservative and basis his entire image around being a very right individual from top to bottom, is that a joke? I literally quoted his about section. Please, christ do yourself and everyone reading this garbage a favor and stop replying. You have nothing legitimate to add, it’s abundantly obvious.
You can't gaslight me lol. Anyone can simply search "diversity inclusion CRT communism Marxism". Why do you keep mentioning "conservative", "red", "very right"? You're the one that brought in the politics with the diversity and inclusion bullshit. Fuck your politics. You can try and spam insults, but honestly your wit is a s bad as your choice in hair color.

jigglet

Banned
don't really agree that anything being talked about is highly political but I digress

Regarding R6:S operators:

Rainbow Six Siege: Ubisoft talks new operators, gender equality and diversity in esports | Digiskygames.com

Ubisoft made a whole video after E3 to talk about the collaboration they made with native american consultants to bring representation to an underserved demographic (indigenous women). I feel like you're just unaware of their statements and PR on the matter lol. But even still Siege isn't a narrative focused game and these Operators are gameplay elements first and foremost. Their gender/heritage is cool for character and gameplay design, but it's like characters in League of Legends. It's interesting (to me) when there is some representation and it's often pointed out by Riot (for League, Illaoi, Neeko, Leona x Diana, Senna, Lucian, etc), but it's not like they have to make a big deal of it because it's an ensemble. The players can find and play the characters that resonate with them one way or another. A AAA single player story driven game like UC, PD, etc are different in that regard.

That's a very recent thing. They never put the spotlight on it before the last year or two. And you're right - I am overreacting. I guess all this insanity has gotten me riled up lately.

Renozokii

You can't gaslight me lol. Anyone can simply search "diversity inclusion CRT communism Marxism". Why do you keep mentioning "conservative", "red", "very right"? You're the one that brought in the politics with the diversity and inclusion bullshit. Fuck your politics. You can try and spam insults, but honestly your wit is a s bad as your choice in hair color.
Still with the key words and phrases. You linked me a source and it’s a glorified actor (literally a failed actor btw) whose sole goal is to make as much money as humanly possible by amassing fans willing to send him money, and individual that VERY likely doesn’t believe half of what he said in even the podcast you linked, an individual with a financial interest in keeping people outraged about everything and anything the other side does or brings to the table. Of course I bring up his political status, the conservative side of us politics have as strong a reason to convince their followers that liberal social practices are the devil as the liberal side has reasons to convince their followers the conservatives are nazis. I’m not going to get my understanding of basic economic and political systems, especially as a fucking business major, from some god damn conservative podcast.

And dismissing any and all conversation around inclusion or diversity as bullshit the second someone goes above panting it as black and white tells one everything they could possibly need to know about your social life, the company you keep, and the type of content you spend your day watching. I even sided with the idea that this kind of talk from Phil is stupid as fuck. Just not for the basic, regurgitated reasons people like you can’t seem to move your 2D perspective of the world away from for 5 seconds.

Done replying, the idea you think you’ve done well enough in this conversation/“debate” to talk with some sort of chip on your shoulder is an incredible level of delusion. Have a nice day amigo, I’m sure you could really use one.

tommib

Looks like they will make her ugly...

vs.

IMG_20210601_231043.jpg

Battle of woke console makers!
This wins stupid meme award of the year. That was one frame in a 20 minute video. She looks the same as before but let’s live in memes and fake rage FOREVER.

Renozokii

When a far lefty joins the fray, I do enjoy prodding you. Ping-ponging back and forth. The virtue signaling and using diversity and inclusion as a shield and excuse for bad behavior. You people always think you've "already won" because you're on the side of D&I. Now the whole of entertainment has gone intellectually disabled with the policies you believe in. Oh, Renokuki, you bad boy...
I’m a far lefter now 😂

Remarkable. I’m sure the communist gaming industry, wait sorry, the communist all of entertainment is in utter despair at the thought of your displeasure with their intellectual disability, those poor bastards can’t even sleep! Their record breaking profits that consumers choose to give them in this communism we live in serve only as a soft cushion for the pain they experience basking in your intellectual superiority as you gaze down at them in discontent for their commy, evilishly diverse ways!

And I’m a cuck now! Sorry kuki that is. I guess I should let my girl know! Maybe you’d like be the first volunteer? I’m sure I can convince her to do it out of pity for ya at least once! She always has been very emotional. All women are honestly though, those bitches. I know you know what I’m talking about, I wish she’d stop playing her switch, no I wish I could destroy her switch and force her to suck me from the back as I play a real mans game, dead or alive, my ass juices dripping on her perfectly moisturized face (more time and money for self care when she’s not blowing all our money on pink weapon skins in cod, I buy only the very manly weed 420 leaf and anime ones) as I can’t contain said juices due to the several hernias constantly keeping my anus agape. Likely from my diet or Doritos, mtn dew, and large doses of epic Ben Shapiro liberal take downs. All things I know you can relate to brother, maybe not the gf part 😕 but like I said I’m a cuck now so maybe we’ll fit you in!

Edit:

If anyone cares this is what the guy dms me
“HAHA, it's not your diet keeping your anus agape”

Last edited:

tommib

I’m a far lefter now 😂

Remarkable. I’m sure the communist gaming industry, wait sorry, the communist all of entertainment is in utter despair at the thought of your displeasure with their intellectual disability, those poor bastards can’t even sleep! Their record breaking profits that consumers choose to give them in this communism we live in serve only as a soft cushion for the pain they experience basking in your intellectual superiority as you gaze down at them in discontent for their commy, evilishly diverse ways!

And I’m a cuck now! Sorry kuki that is. I guess I should let my girl know! Maybe you’d like be the first volunteer? I’m sure I can convince her to do it out of pity for ya at least once! She always has been very emotional. All women are honestly though, those bitches. I know you know what I’m talking about, I wish she’d stop playing her switch, no I wish I could destroy her switch and force her to suck me from the back as I play a real mans game, dead or alive, my ass juices dripping on her perfectly moisturized face (more time and money for self care when she’s not blowing all our money on pink weapon skins in cod, I buy only the very manly weed 420 leaf and anime ones) as I can’t contain said juices due to the several hernias constantly keeping my anus agape. Likely from my diet or Doritos, mtn dew, and large doses of epic Ben Shapiro liberal take downs.
I think I’m in love with this post.

TonyK

A female main game character doesn't automatically make the game appealing for women. Specially if the character is written like a man, as it's usual nowadays.

reksveks

You're pro CRT. NOT surprised. The hook was supposed to be Dr. Jordan Peterson's opinion, but you guys don't like him much, do you...
Hmm, what you mean by CRT? The theory that all white people are racist? Or the theory that the country was set-up in a way that prioritised the white population include the fundamental structure of elections.

I don't care particularly for Jordan Peterson, but I don't dislike him. He is a bit boring as he taps into one set of problems in society but doesn't really have an answer except for personal responsibility and cleaning your bedroom. Also I did agree with his theoretical stance of not using preferred pro-nouns when the other person is trying to weaponise it.

Damn this thread for dragging me back in, going off to tidy my bed now.

the_master

I think the "modern" thing was kinda like old Lara vs new Lara in Tomb Raider. Just a reimagining of the character. It's the same person, but a different lens due to it being 20+ years later.
Maybe you are right. I already like Dark so I hope they do not reimagine her too much.
Actually, I'd prefer to be respectful of old characters and create new ones

reksveks

Maybe you are right. I already like Dark so I hope they do not reimagine her too much.
Actually, I'd prefer to be respectful of old characters and create new ones
Old Lara needed a reboot. I see games as comics especially in terms of the story (for good and bad), there is no need to have a canonical story that always exists across writers.

Fredrik

Fyi here is the timestamp of the question and Phil's answer if you'd like the full interview context instead of spitting out hot takes based on a clickbait article title only

I had missed that talk, imagine the head of any other console platform have a candid talk like that, Phil is great 👌

anthony2690

Banned
I don't know what is worst, people losing their minds here saying it's some sjw stuff (what it really isn't if you read the actual full quote)

Or era losing their minds because he said we don't have a lot of that, and really focusing on the that part to try turn it into something negative, that's just how Phil talks lol.

And then there is just me, thinking does everything someone at Microsoft or Sony said need it's own post, with people arguing over it, or trying to make it out to be something much worst lol.

Anyway hopefully perfect dark is good, whenever it comes out, but I am curious how they are going to make it stand out from the other fps games in 2022/3 . (Assuming the reboot is an fps still)

Last edited:

martino

I don't know what is worst, people losing their minds here saying it's some sjw stuff (what it really isn't if you read the actual full quote)

Or era losing their minds because he said we don't have a lot of that, and really focusing on the that part to try turn it into something negative, that's just how Phil talks lol.

And then there is just me, thinking does everything someone at Microsoft or Sony said need it's own post, with people arguing over it, or trying to make it out to be something much worst lol.

Anyway hopefully perfect dark is good, whenever it comes out, but I am curious how they are going to make it stand out from the other fps games in 2022/3 . (Assuming the reboot is an fps still)
this even more when i suspect there is a secret tournament to win the dumbest PR quote between Jim and Phil.

longdi

Banned
I had missed that talk, imagine the head of any other console platform have a candid talk like that, Phil is great 👌

Phil looked so geeky with that oversized ear cups :messenger_smiling_with_eyes::messenger_ok:

His costs is like thousands of $ per hour, yet he is chugging away with small YT'ers to promote the cause. :messenger_bicep:

GymWolf

*breathy aloy voice* "I HAVE to finish this block of cheese"

Seriously though is this actually real and not disengenuous due to wide angle for the specific shot or something? I know there were a ton of photoshops going around and I genuinely just want to see a fair comparison to judge for myself whether they gavaged her.

Gavage is a hilarious metaphor for them fattening up women in games actually :messenger_tears_of_joy: digitally "forced to eat" by the progressive climate.
Bitch you are wrong, in the case of aloy it's just the angle\camera lens\lights, this is a screen in optimal condition

Last edited:

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Fun thread. The original Perfect Dark was great. I'm looking forward to it. I couldnt care less about the gender of the protag as long as the game is good.

Last edited:

nemiroff

Gold Member
I don't see how this is 'woke'?

We've had female protagonists for decades. This isn't anything new.

I'm not speaking for everyone, but my feeling is that most of gaf are individualists rooting for equal opportunity and common sense. I bet no one in this thread annoyed that PD has a strong female character. What people have issues with is the virtue signaling. I like Spencer, but I wish he would fuck off with that shit. When I grew up decades ago no one in my white alpha male group of friends and community gave a damn about Sigourney Weaver being a woman when she became the most badass strong character in a movie ever. Or that Eddie Murphy had black skin when he became a superstar, everyone focused on and enjoyed his art. Now suddenly everyone have to be force fed woke intersectionality and Marxism at every corner of culture, and people are just "worried" about the focus of MS shoehorning political shit in their games instead of focusing on making a great game.

Last edited:

reksveks

Now suddenly everyone have to be force fed woke intersectionality and Marxism at every corner of culture, and people are just "worried" about the focus of MS shoehorning political shit in their games instead of focusing on making a great game.
1) no one in the mainstream is pushing Marxism
2) looking at the systematic causes of disparities in wealth, criminal treatment and other topics isn't a bad thing. It's why you get sentencing guidelines, why you get more testing across diverse groups of races and also gender. You have seen the studies about the effect of removing name from cv's?

As mentioned by people above, try to expanding the audience by 'possibly' having a character that they are more interested in is a very capitalistic move. Some gamers don't care about the MC's race and gender and some do, nothing wrong with it.

Drew1440

Was this ever a thing with the previous two games, where they would sell the game about empowerment and diversity just because of the gender of the lead character?
Seems Phill has little confidence in the game itself, so has to play these buzzwords to drum up interest.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Was this ever a thing with the previous two games, where they would sell the game about empowerment and diversity just because of the gender of the lead character?
Seems Phill has little confidence in the game itself, so has to play these buzzwords to drum up interest.
Pretty much the opposite. I think they used the characters sex appeal in the previous games.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
A lot of the female channels I follow do love Ellie and Aloy. While I think it's definitely due to them being good female characters, they also love Dark Souls and GoW so clearly they dont give a fuck just like how male gamers never cared we were playing as female characters in Resident Evil, Tomb Raider and FF13. As long as the game is good, no one is gonna give a shit. People hated Abby not because she was a woman but because she stunk as a character. No redeeming qualities whatsoever.

Top Bottom