• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer suggests Halo Infinite is not critcal to XBSX launch

sincarra

Well the WiiU had RETTBONE helping with sales.
lh7ZrwAVGmgqfOGpFamba0wkOHNuDiqYpt8ita6hLeU.jpg

Also the WiiU properly had no games and no target audience, people who bought it realized it wasnt what they wanted from a WiiU.
The Series consoles are pretty well explained and everyone buying one knows what they are in for.

We already have a massive lineup of titles thirdparty or otherwise to tide us over till the XGS titles are ready...whether that will move units I dont know only time will tell.
The WiiU looked doomed from the jump.
What’s the story behind this picture?

ReBurn

Gold Member
Well the WiiU had RETTBONE helping with sales.
lh7ZrwAVGmgqfOGpFamba0wkOHNuDiqYpt8ita6hLeU.jpg

Also the WiiU properly had no games and no target audience, people who bought it realized it wasnt what they wanted from a WiiU.
The Series consoles are pretty well explained and everyone buying one knows what they are in for.

We already have a massive lineup of titles thirdparty or otherwise to tide us over till the XGS titles are ready...whether that will move units I dont know only time will tell.
The WiiU looked doomed from the jump.
Reminds me of when gaf was trolling scalpers on eBay by offering them ridiculously low amounts for their hoarded consoles.

DoomGyver

Jenniferlawrenceyeahokay.gif
Sure, it’s selling out. But the series x would be perceived better with an AAA first party game launching beside it. Perception is a big deal.

Last edited:

Venom Snake

Gold Member
I mean the console is sold out everywhere. How would having halo have helped it?

As usual GAF just vastly over exaggerating how much first party exclusives mean in the grand scheme of things.

No one wants to ask that though? It was a 360 game.
Fortunately, in my country you can buy it everywhere:

AAzp1bT.jpg

FncoagV.jpg

f8BFf0k.jpg

Last edited:

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
What’s the story behind this picture?

Shes a "famous" scalper....buys things she thinks will be super popular and will sell out so she can markup the price and resell them on eBay or wherever.
Made a bad bet on the WiiU.

OrtizTwelve

The more I think about it the Series S seems to be the console they actually want to sell and push and the X is only there to claim PR victories with "most powerful console"

The Series S has more opportunities to upsell the customer down the road during the console's lifetime

- Need (potentially) for extra storage with additional SSD plug-in add on due to 512GB onboard limitation
- Push to move customers to gamepass subscription
- Force customers to buy digital games due to lack of optical drive
- Potential to make the Series S the "secondary" XBOX in a home due to low price

The Series X is clearly their flagship powerhouse to compete against PS5, but the Series S is for the everyday general consumer that just wants to play the usual mainstream suspects (FIFA, Madden, Halo, Gears, Forza, etc) at good fidelity and performance for $299. That's a price point that's easy to swallow for most people, and I can't think of any comparable PC builds that exist at that price point with those features.

I'm happy with my Series S and actually pretty surprised with the optimized games on the console. They look really good.

I was going to get the Series X but for whatever reason I couldn't justify $500 for a video game console right now.

ZywyPL

Banned
I think the delay might actually even be beneficial for XB - it's already hard/impossible to get the consoles, but once there's enough supply, Halo might help to push those additional units.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Fans will always buy the consoles on launch day. It's little wonder the XSX/S has sold out without a major launch title. We'll see they can continue this momentum after Christmas.

I hope so. Would be great for gamers if both the sales of the XSX/S and PS5 were neck and neck like the 360 and PS3 days.

Kssio_Aug

I would definitely like to play Halo Infinite now, but he's right. I did pre-ordered my Series S knowing it wouldn't be available at launch. And it seems tons of people are doing the same.

Last edited:

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
People laughing at xbox not having any exclusives, yet it's sold out.

If ps exclusives was the most important thing in the world, then it would be possible to go into a store and buy the new Xbox.

And no. Its not because "its not possible to switch team", this gen proved more than ever that it is possible to lose long time costumers,because Microsoft really took a critical hit.

Either way, can't wait to play Infinite on my pc.

Last edited:

TheKratos

I disagree. I want next gen games, especially with Series S since all of its BC games are based on Xbox One S hardware.

I'm confident next gen games can look good and run well on Series S, I don't mind lower resolution but I can't stand last gen graphics anymore.

The game was important enough to lead off their first party showcase. It was important enough that the head of 343 is no longer the head of 343. And who is on the back of the console box (hint: it sure as hell isn’t Blinx the Timetraveling Cat)?

It’s big deal. No point in lying about it.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Fortunately, in my country you can buy it everywhere:

AAzp1bT.jpg

FncoagV.jpg

f8BFf0k.jpg
Do people in Poland tend to spend that much on average for video games? The thread a couple of week ago on the salaries there makes it seem really expensive for most people there.

Could you show us PS5 availabilty and give some insight in terms of hype/momentum and mindshare that surrounds each console in Poland.

PS5 doesn't release in Poland until November 19.

Last edited:
The game was important enough to lead off their first party showcase. It was important enough that the head of 343 is no longer the head of 343. And who is on the back of the console box (hint: it sure as hell isn’t Blinx the Timetraveling Cat)?

It’s big deal. No point in lying about it.

What do you want from Phil? You want him to prostrate himself on live video, begging eternal forgiveness for f-ing up Halo? Nothing will ever satisfy the haters, so why should he humiliate himself and the brand.

Venom Snake

Gold Member
Could you show us PS5 availabilty and give some insight in terms of hype/momentum and mindshare that surrounds each console in Poland.
As for availability: in the first store I showed, the ps5 was available as a preorder around 6/24, it was sold out immediately and hasn't been available since then.

In the second store only accessories for the ps5 are available, not a trace of the console itself.

There were preorders in the third store (I don't know exactly when), but recently I heard that the store has a problem with the fulfillment of collected orders and that customers will not get the console on time.

The only ps5s that can be ordered at the moment are those preordered by scalpers and put up for auctions.

It seems to me that the hype for the playstation console is bigger here, probably due to greater brand recognition.

Venom Snake

Gold Member
Lol oh are you the Poland guy that kept banging on about this for days?

yes, I’m sure every single ps5 in every single country in the world is preordered.......
Nope, i'm not that guy :messenger_grinning_sweat:

For some reason, XSS/XSX are -for the moment at least- the most commercially available next-gen consoles on our market.

The Series X and S would of sold out even if it launched with zero games. It’s an immensely hyped, hot new piece of technology and a follow up to a fairly popular item. As long as people can play their COS’s, Maddens and Fortnites, they will be happy......for awhile for awhile at least. The question is, how long will the momentum last after Christmas and beyond especially if Halo or any other high profile titles take longer than expected to materialize?

I managed to find one shop that still sells PS5 for launch (it's on 19th here) but I had to pay almost 100 Euro more.
There might be some extra consoles in shops for launch day but since we are under lockdown - they will like sell out in few minutes after they are made available.

Our local version of ebay - people are selling them for 700-800 euro sometimes even more.

Last edited:

Rolla

Banned
As for availability: in the first store I showed, the ps5 was available as a preorder around 6/24, it was sold out immediately and hasn't been available since then.

In the second store only accessories for the ps5 are available, not a trace of the console itself.

There were preorders in the third store (I don't know exactly when), but recently I heard that the store has a problem with the fulfillment of collected orders and that customers will not get the console on time.

The only ps5s that can be ordered at the moment are those preordered by scalpers and put up for auctions.

It seems to me that the hype for the playstation console is bigger here, probably due to greater brand recognition.
I managed to find one shop that still sells PS5 for launch (it's on 19th here) but I had to pay almost 100 Euro more.
There might be some extra consoles in shops for launch day but since we are under lockdown - they will like sell out in few minutes after they are made available.

Our local version of ebay - people are selling them for 700-800 euro sometimes even more.

So basically, just like the rest of Europe?

Off topic but us EU gamers need a thread for comfort and solace. Tomorrow is going to be difficult. I want to join in on the hype but I don't want to be spoiled in terms of games and that new console experience.

Venom Snake

Gold Member
Do people in Poland tend to spend that much on average for video games? The thread a couple of week ago on the salaries there makes it seem really expensive for most people there.
It depends how you look at it. Average wages in this country are still much lower than in the west, but somehow people have learned to deal with it. Among my friends, there is not a single person for whom the purchase of any console (or games for it) is too much of a expense. The country's middle class is still growing, slowly but surely (at least that's what it looks like in my area).

What do you want from Phil? You want him to prostrate himself on live video, begging eternal forgiveness for f-ing up Halo? Nothing will ever satisfy the haters, so why should he humiliate himself and the brand.
Just say it was a disappointment and move on. I didn't say anything about prostration or humiliation.

So the truth...

Hardware is relative easy since it's one time shot. The real pain is games after that - I buy something like 1-2 full priced releases each year usually. Then rest has to wait till price drops.

IIRC Biden wants to make 15$ minimal salary in USA so - you can buy next gen game for 5 hours of work in US at lowest job. In Poland I have to work close to 2 days to buy one. And I'm one of those lucky few who actually earn slightly above average salary.

ZywyPL

Banned

That's why most people here buy electronics in installments, a mere 75-80PLN for 30 months is nothing compared to full 2250, which is more than many people earn.

wolffy71

Banned
At this point I'd guess most halo fans are xbox purchasers. And most halo fans want the game improved so I dont see the delay impacting sales as they are gonna buy regardless and just wait.

Neither console needed to release any big name exclusive to sell out. Phil isn't wrong. They don't need Halo to have a successful launch, but I'm sure they would've preferred it was ready.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Hardware is relative easy since it's one time shot. The real pain is games after that - I buy something like 1-2 full priced releases each year usually. Then rest has to wait till price drops.

IIRC Biden wants to make 15$ minimal salary in USA so - you can buy next gen game for 5 hours of work in US at lowest job. In Poland I have to work close to 2 days to buy one. And I'm one of those lucky few who actually earn slightly above average salary.
That's why most people here buy electronics in installments, a mere 75-80PLN for 30 months is nothing compared to full 2250, which is more than many people earn.

thank you for sharing your insights

the_master

Would be good to have at least one TECH DEMO on each console just to get a feel of what it is about.

Man, I miss console tech demos.
At least PS5 had unreal 5 demo.

AmuroChan

He's not wrong. At launch all the XSX will be sold out or near sold out anyway, with our without Halo. Halo is important for the long term health of XBox, but for launch it doesn't really matter.

Tschumi

he's naive, and he's taking his fans for granted. he's got a bunch of people buying his console as a matter of loyalty - that should motivate him to repay them by working doubly hard to give them value for money. not having Halo is a colossal blunder - a blot on a pretty decent copybook in a number of other areas - he shouldn't think it's a free pass.

This kinda statement is in line with why the xb one was so out of touch with what the users wanted...

Ten_Fold

I know I would’ve picked up a series X, if halo was a launch title. What else is there to play that I can only find on the series x. Sorry Microsoft the launch kinda sucks, it’s cool if you want to play gears 5, and any game you missed on the xbox one/360. I think Sony having demon souls and even godfall(to an extent cus timed exclusive) kinda sealed it for me. Also I can play series X exclusives on PC.

Iorv3th

Might have actually been smart to delay it. Then can get another boost of sales when the game does release. They can even market it with a custom halo console or controller and get more sales from that as well.

After Dec when supply starts to catch up to demand for these new consoles, we'll see how much the lack of any Next-gen showcase on Xbox hurts their sales.

Games sell consoles. It's the way it's always been and the way it will always be. MS have for over a decade now done their very best to try to deny this fact, and soundbites like this from Phil Spencer continue to erode confidence that the management at Xbox even get this at all.

Top Bottom