• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer says Xbox ‘wants to continue’ with Killer Instinct

SSfox

It's a sad thing double helix was bought by amazon, otherwise I'm sure we would have seen the next KI by now. Don't think we can expect anything from them until amazon close shop sadly
KI season 1 was super good despite being a low budget game. Imagine what the studio could have make with big budget not f2p KI game. I always say it before MS letting the studio go was big big mistake.

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
Killer Instinct and Battletoads living forever whilst Kameo, Banjo, Conker and Viva Piñata live in the trash pile.

Sad Cry GIF

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Killer Instinct. Wow. Now that's a name I haven't heard since my local movie theater cleaned out their decades old arcade cabinets.

Jokes aside, it's cool that the MS execs are still considering older IP's like this. It seems like only Nintendo revisits really old properties and I'd like to see Sony and MS do it more often.

Killer Instinct and Battletoads living forever whilst Kameo, Banjo, Conker and Viva Piñata live in the trash pile.

Sad Cry GIF

I doubt Battletoads will see another game released. The shitty thing is that Microsoft released a very well-made and highly polished collection in Rare Replay (with a version of Blast Corps that runs 1080p at a stable fps included), sold it for $30 from day one, and NOBODY FUCKING BOUGHT IT.

People are the ones that should live in the trash pile.

Like he says, it's about finding the right team to do it.

Iron Galaxy got bought out by Amazon Game Studios, so... yeh.... until Amazon quits that venture it's no hope

Dude, the game came out in 2013.

It's almost ten years.

If they can figure out who to do Gears, Halo, Forza Horizon and et all, they had all the time in the world to have found the "right team."

It's not like we were drowning from X1 games in the second half of it's cycle, I see no reason why this "we're waiting for the right team" is a justifiable excuse because it seemed like the game was good enough to have an audience and a sequel would have filled the void in the past 8 years.

anthony2690

Banned
It didn't make them enough money, so don't hold your breath. They really have been a terrible steward of Rare's ip's...
It had over 11 million unique players years ago, they did 3 seasons for the game, they pushed advertising for the game in cinemas, even in spiderman and dell commercials.
It did really well.

He says he wants to do more but they have not got a studio to create it, not sure how you came to that conclusion.

Rare themselves have also REPEATEDLY said they want to make new ips too and have since made their most successful game ever with sea of thieves.

And if you want to enjoy their back catalog, there is an incredible collection called rare replay, hell you can even enjoy conkers (Xbox version) in 4k on one x and series x.

I'm sure we will see a new ki in the future.

just create the studio then.
Agreed, but that’s definitely easier said than done. Is Iron Galaxy still even around and did they help with the actual gameplay for Killer Instinct? Double Helix for some strange reason is with Amazon from what I heard.

Most developers can’t create good fighting games to save their lives especially Western developers. There’s a reason hardly any developers attempt fighting games especially new franchises. They would need really talented developers that truly understand how fighting game mechanics work in order to live up to the Killer Insinct’s legacy.

Last edited:

JackMcGunns

It didn't make them enough money, so don't hold your breath. They really have been a terrible steward of Rare's ip's...

The game was great, it was even adopted in tournaments, Justin Wong was killing it. What did you want them to do with the IP? turn it into Killer Instinct Fortnite Edition just to make money? The game sold poorly because Xbox One did poorly in general with fighting games, especial after the PS5 became the defacto fighters console after snagging exclusivity to SF5

yurinka

As a fighting game fan not very interested on typical shooters or racing games, it was my favorite MS game from last gen. I'd say the real reason they didn't release more seasons or made a sequel because it did perform well enough. But if what Phil says is true and not the typical PR spin excuse to appeal fanse, let's hope they find a team soon to make it.
What else is there to add?
Netherrealm maybe? If not they could try to buy the ones who worked in the previous KI: Double Helix and Iron Galaxy, or at least to hire veterans from these 3 studios and former Rare KI devs to create a new studio.

Probably because the genre is dying and Sony owns the only major competitive tournament.
It's true that Sony owns the biggest tournament and many recent important games like SFV or Guilty Gear Strive are exclusive, but the genre is bigger than ever has been, with more players than it ever had. On top of that, thanks to related tournaments, pro-players and microinfluencers it also generates a good amount of views on Twitch and YouTube.

Smash Bros Ultimate is by far the best selling one in the series since it sold around 24 million copies, MK X and 11 are the best selling ones of the series, SFV had a rough start but it's the 2nd best selling ever Capcom fighting game with over 5.5 million copies even if released in a single console (adding DLC it must have generated even way more than SF2 SNES), Tekken 7 has sold over 7 million copies and soon will outsell Tekken 3 as the best selling Tekken, ARC System Works got their best selling game ever with over 6 million Dragon Ball FighterZ copies. And all these games still continue selling copies.

None? Why does MS own the KI IP in the first place?
Yes, they bought it when they acquired Rare. So MS can make a sequel or port whenever they want and with whoever they want.

Last edited:

ManaByte

It's true that Sony owns the biggest tournament and many recent important games like SFV or Guilty Gear Strive are exclusive, but the genre is bigger than ever has been, with more players than it ever had. On top of that, thanks to related tournaments, pro-players and microinfluencers it also generates a good amount of views on Twitch and YouTube.

Smash Bros Ultimate is by far the best selling one in the series since it sold around 24 million copies, MK X and 11 are the best selling ones of the series, SFV had a rough start but it's the 2nd best selling ever Capcom fighting game with over 5.5 million copies even if released in a single console (adding DLC it must have generated even way more than SF2 SNES), Tekken 7 has sold over 7 million copies and soon will outsell Tekken 3 as the best selling Tekken, ARC System Works got their best selling game ever with over 6 million Dragon Ball FighterZ copies. And all these games still continue selling copies.

That's a nice land of imagination you're living in, but the fighting game genre has been dying ever since the arcade scene died off. The two are forever linked.

DonF

I feel this is a generic response from Phil. Of course he is not going to say that a classic IP is dead.

SSfox

That's a nice land of imagination you're living in, but the fighting game genre has been dying ever since the arcade scene died off. The two are forever linked.
You are the one living in your land imagination. Fighting games have been super healthy and successful in the recent years, do you gaming culture research and stop spreading BS, thanks.

yurinka

You are the one in a nice land of imagination, and attacking me because you can't back you lie with facts. I posted facts proving the fighting games is selling better than ever showing the current performance of the best selling series that always got the best sales.

The arcades died because people moved to consoles, and the console market grew a lot since then. As I shown, sales of the genre are better than ever, and it can be seen in the financials of most of the companies I mentioned, who are performing better today than back in the arcade days.

Last edited:

ManaByte

You are the one living in your land imagination. Fighting games have been super healthy and successful in the recent years, do you gaming culture research and stop spreading BS, thanks.

Fighting games are a niche genre in 2021. Back in the PSX/Saturn era, games like the Street Fighter Alpha series and Tekken were as big as Call of Duty is today and stuff like Tekken/VF were true system sellers; with people clamoring for "arcade perfect" ports.

With the demise of arcades, fighting games have been shoved into a niche genre and shooters like CoD have taken over the mindset as the marquee console titles.

FeldMonster

Killer Instinct is the absolute goat of fighting games, they better do more with it in the future. I wouldn't mind seeing a few spin off games as well, the world has such great music and characters, I think they could really do anything with the ip.
A 3rd person hack and slash featuring Jago as the protagonist with other characters throughout would be a perfect spinoff. Especially if you could unlock Fulgore and replay the game as him.

Last edited:

LRKD

Why can’t Iron Galaxy or Double Helix do it again PHIL
Amazon purchased Double Helix, they're now Amazon Studios and are working on a mmo. Iron Galaxy is a third party that primarily focuses on porting games, or supporting other studios development, they might be too busy with other contracts currently.
A 3rd person hack and slash featuring Jago as the protagonist with other characters throughout would a perfect spinoff. Especially if you could unlock Fulgore and replay the game as him.
That'd be awesome, my only concern with KI spinoffs is they might end up focusing more on spin offs then the mainline games, but I'd still love to see them.

it’s not out of our minds that—it might be out of our minds—but it’s in our hearts and in our minds.

Because our minds are in the box, and the box is with our heart, and dynamite blew up the box-so it's not that we don't have the mind-but that the mind was destroyed.

I hope I cleared that up for everyone here.

Amazon purchased Double Helix, they're now Amazon Studios and are working on a mmo. Iron Galaxy is a third party that primarily focuses on porting games, or supporting other studios development, they might be too busy with other contracts currently.

That'd be awesome, my only concern with KI spinoffs is they might end up focusing more on spin offs then the mainline games, but I'd still love to see them.
Man all i hear is a whole lot of nothing. Microsoft better buy IG then because KI is the reason I started liking fighters, and yes i’m talking about the Xbox One one

Technical Director at
@Codemasters

I'd being more than willing to give a Codemasters KI a go.

Sad but true. The generations of arcade players, coins in line to get your shot at the champ and generally just in awe of games like MK or SFII or Tekken etc aren't in the golden age anymore.

Last edited:

The platform holder released a reboot of Rare’s classic fighting game franchise for the launch of Xbox One in 2013 and supported the free-to-play title with updates and new characters for several years.

Microsoft’s head of gaming discussed how the franchise is viewed internally during the latest Dropped Frames podcast on Wednesday.

“There are so many good games in our catalogue that we’d love to visit,” he said. “The response when we redid KI at the launch of Xbox One was fantastic.

“I will just say, [Xbox Game Studios head] Matt [Booty] and I have discussed many times KI and where we would like to go with it and it’s not out of our minds that—it might be out of our minds—but it’s in our hearts and in our minds that we want to continue to do something with KI.

“It’s about finding the right team and the right opportunity,” Spencer added, “but it is not due to any kind of lack of desire on our part that we’re not doing more with KI because we love the franchise and the community response.”
What a garbage ass response, those retards dropped the ball so hard not creating an esports scene around that game. A fucking gem like Sunset Overdrive.

What a garbage ass response, those retards dropped the ball so hard not creating an esports scene around that game. A fucking gem like Sunset Overdrive.

Honestly I'm surprised it didn't go that route via community drive or dev/publisher. Hell even online only comps could have been more than it was.

kanjobazooie

Mouse Ball Fetishist
If a new KI is really being made I'll be fucking happy.

About the rumoured devs...
I haven't played the Power Rangers game but I heard good things about it. I guess they're talented folk.

Dimps are cool, I enjoyed their games. It would be interesting to see a Japanese dev take on KI.

Edit: Sony Interactive Entertainment is a principal shareholder of Dimps. That's interesting.

Edit 2: Apparently he doesn't know the devs.

Last edited:

Shut0wen

KI actually made profit until double helix left, after that sales steadily went down but the games servers are always full unlike mortal kombat x and afew blazblue games

Kuranghi

I think I still have my Killer Cuts slipcase around somewhere, stored in a divan or something:

Listening to it now is pretty funny, the use of effects is just silly, but I suppose that was new at the time (?). The first song is basically 50% "sex noises" :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

yurinka

If a new KI is really being made I'll be fucking happy.

About the rumoured devs...
I haven't played the Power Rangers game but I heard good things about it. I guess they're talented folk.

Dimps are cool, I enjoyed their games. It would be interesting to see a Japanese dev take on KI.

Edit: Sony Interactive Entertainment is a principal shareholder of Dimps. That's interesting.

Edit 2: Apparently he doesn't know the devs.

Dimps is, has and will be busy with Street Fighter V and VI, they aren't working on KI. The Power Rangers guys are a good candidate if this is true, that game was good.

Last edited:

Concern

This nick guy has been throwing shit at the wall for awhile hoping something sticks.

I doubt we see KI anytime soon. Thats pretty much the only genre Xbox is missing exclusive wise.

Isnt MS on good terms with Sega?
They should just make a deal for KI2/3 with one of the Sega studios (Virtua Fighter Studio?) .

ATM I dont see any internal studio from MS, who could manage a fighting game
I don't think KI and Virtua Fighter would blend, but Sega may have the rights to Eternal Champions, a western fighting game IP that was dormant even longer than KI was and would probably look aesthetically similar if given a modern do-over. A theoretical crossover there might work.

Problem is, the devs who made Eternal Champions don't work for Sega anymore, so we'd still have the problem of what studio is making it. Sega has some relations with ArcSys via their Atlus ownership, but ArcSys has their own fighting games and style to work with. Outside of that, the only non-3D fighting game I can think of off the top of my head from Sega is Golden Axe: The Duel, devved by Sega AM1, and that was... not really worthy even in it's time.

yurinka

Fighting games are a niche genre in 2021. Back in the PSX/Saturn era, games like the Street Fighter Alpha series and Tekken were as big as Call of Duty is today and stuff like Tekken/VF were true system sellers; with people clamoring for "arcade perfect" ports.

With the demise of arcades, fighting games have been shoved into a niche genre and shooters like CoD have taken over the mindset as the marquee console titles.
Not true.

Series like Smash, Mortal Kombat, Tekken, Street Fighter, Dragon Ball, Guilty Gear saw their best selling game/that generated the biggest revenue ever -or a close 2nd, or are on track to achieve- with their most recent games of this generation.

Fighting games sold more games this generation than in any previous one, even if not counting Smash. It's being an improvement compared to the previous generation, that started a comeback with SFIV. We can call it a niche, but it's one that sold over 60 (maybe 70) million copies this generation.

The two top grossing PC games worldwide of the decade, League of Legends (via Riot) and Dungeon Fighter Online (via ARC System Works), will get a fighting game in a couple of years or so. If a 10% or so of their massive userbase plays these fighting games the genre would grow even more.

It's true that Tekken 2 and specially Tekken 3 were massive in the PS1 days, but the Street Fighter Alpha games didn't have great sales, the best selling in the series is SFA3 with 1 million units shipped. Virtua Fighter 1 and 4 sold a bit above that, VF2 between 2M and 3M, there are no numbers about VF3 so we could assume it sold under a million.

Last edited:
Top Bottom