• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer says Xbox ‘wants to continue’ with Killer Instinct

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

The platform holder released a reboot of Rare’s classic fighting game franchise for the launch of Xbox One in 2013 and supported the free-to-play title with updates and new characters for several years.

Microsoft’s head of gaming discussed how the franchise is viewed internally during the latest Dropped Frames podcast on Wednesday.

“There are so many good games in our catalogue that we’d love to visit,” he said. “The response when we redid KI at the launch of Xbox One was fantastic.

“I will just say, [Xbox Game Studios head] Matt [Booty] and I have discussed many times KI and where we would like to go with it and it’s not out of our minds that—it might be out of our minds—but it’s in our hearts and in our minds that we want to continue to do something with KI.

“It’s about finding the right team and the right opportunity,” Spencer added, “but it is not due to any kind of lack of desire on our part that we’re not doing more with KI because we love the franchise and the community response.”

Kuranghi

“I will just say, [Xbox Game Studios head] Matt [Booty] and I have discussed many times KI and where we would like to go with it and it’s not out of our minds that—it might be out of our minds—but it’s in our hearts and in our minds that we want to continue to do something with KI.

*me reading this sentence over and over trying to understand it at 2:53am*:

Tom Cruise What GIF

edit - Thanks for the giggle Hendrick's Hendrick's every time I come back to see a new reaction to this it makes me laugh so hard all over again, its the perfect gif to show how confused I was (and still am lmao)

Last edited:

Hawke502

“I will just say, [Xbox Game Studios head] Matt [Booty] and I have discussed many times KI and where we would like to go with it and it’s not out of our minds that—it might be out of our minds—but it’s in our hearts and in our minds that we want to continue to do something with KI."
I think this is a misquote, i think i heard him say "well, we may be out of our minds" as a joke, and they laughed

Varteras

Gold Member
I love Killer Instinct and the reboot they did was almost everything I wanted for it. But I'm honestly having a hard time imagining them going back to it any time soon. The tournament scene for it died down pretty fast.

Banned
missed the opportunity to have Killer Instinct 2 at launch or in the launch window...
Iron Galaxy would be a great studio to handle it. they really polished KI 2013 up enormously compared to the launch version.

and it would make a hell of a Gamepass game! all characters included in gamepass, and a free 2 play version like the original was for everyone else...

Last edited:

elliot5

Waiting GIF

Wtf Phil, that game was a launch game for the Xbox One. A sequel should have been in the making 3 years ago at the least.

Why are you even thinking on this still?
Like he says, it's about finding the right team to do it.
missed the opportunity to have Killer Instinct 2 at launch or in the launch window...
Iron Galaxy would be a great studio to handle it. they really polished KI 2013 up enormously compared to the launch version.
Iron Galaxy got bought out by Amazon Game Studios, so... yeh.... until Amazon quits that venture it's no hope

Banned
Iron Galaxy got bought out by Amazon Game Studios, so... yeh.... until Amazon quits that venture it's no hope

you're thinking of Double Helix, the developers who developed the base game (season 1), but Iron Galaxy is 100% private and made season 2 and 3, also upgrade basically all of the graphics (from 720p up to 900p, better lighting, better effects, One X patch at 4K etc.) and enhanced the systems (gave every character new abilities, and tightened up the UI among others)

Last edited:
It didn't make them enough money, so don't hold your breath. They really have been a terrible steward of Rare's ip's...

Nah, the reboot of KI was fucking brilliant and super well done as well as fresh content. The netcode, party chat/viewing/queueing and production quality was second to none.

I'm down for another KI title.

EDIT: Sea of Thieves is also fucking brilliant and we've had Rare Replay too so I completely disasgree with your statement.

Hell they spun up a new studio to push forward with Perfect Dark even. What more do you want? Banjo Threeie?

Last edited:
I am all for a crossover, but DON'T LET NETHERREALM TOUCH THE GAMEPLAY PART! we need a studio that actually knows how to make good fighting systems...
Let them touch the quality in graphics and storytelling for sure though. Actually don't let them touch the costume design either. They'll have Orchid looking like a green C3PO

Waiting GIF

Wtf Phil, that game was a launch game for the Xbox One. A sequel should have been in the making 3 years ago at the least.

Why are you even thinking on this still?
Don't worry, Bethesda will make it with GameBryo. We'll see it fifteen years from now. First a series X port of Skyrim though.

Banned
Well. I learnt something today. KI actually had a game on the xbox.

Was it as good as the snes and 64?

better. one of the extremely rare cases of a good western developed fighting game. it was rough around the edges at launch but Iron Galaxy took over and polished it up really nicely

Would be AWESOME! My Xbox is my Ki machine, but please no more Iron Galaxy...

??? they vastly enhanced the game over time... what's the issue with them?

Last edited:

LRKD

Killer Instinct is the absolute goat of fighting games, they better do more with it in the future. I wouldn't mind seeing a few spin off games as well, the world has such great music and characters, I think they could really do anything with the ip.

RaZoR No1

Isnt MS on good terms with Sega?
They should just make a deal for KI2/3 with one of the Sega studios (Virtua Fighter Studio?) .

ATM I dont see any internal studio from MS, who could manage a fighting game

ManaByte

So MS does have a studio with fighting experience...
Only question that is still open : Why no new KI? Is Rare to busy, dont want to do it or is it something else?
Probably because the genre is dying and Sony owns the only major competitive tournament.

LRKD

Shit. Is iron galaxy still around?
Yeah, they ported Spyro to the switch 2 years ago. Iron Galaxy (irongalaxystudios.com)
They seemed to do great with season 2 and 3, but they already had Double Helixs game to work off of. Still they might be a fine choice to carry the series in the future. I don't know if they'd want to give up their role of being the go to 3rd party port/support team though, or if Xbox would even be interested in buying a Killer Instinct studio...

kanjobazooie

Mouse Ball Fetishist
The hypest fighting game ever.

It's great that almost all Arcade/console KI games can be played on XB1 and Series. Preserve that shit.

//DEVIL//

Why don't they at least update the graphics for the next gen systems ?

The game is amazing. my favorite fighting game honestly since TTT2.

SSfox

The fact he says this now means they're not making one already. So no new KI before at least 4 years, wow classic blabla.

Last edited:
Top Bottom