• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer Says The Gaming Industry Needs More Black Leaders

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

During a recent interview with Xbox chief Phil Spencer, I asked him about this. His company, Microsoft, had made several pledges, including to do better by its Black employees, to recruit more Black workers to the tech giant, and to “double the number of Black and African American people managers, senior individual contributors, and senior leaders in the United States by 2025.”

That was in June, when everyone was talking about racial justice.

“One of the worries is you kind of get hyper-focused at a certain time, and the election comes along and months go by and you almost just kind of shift,” Spencer told me. “The conversation turns to something else. And I do think it’s something that we should come back to.”

We came back to it when we were speaking last month, during a conversation that was set up ostensibly to talk about the next generation of Xboxes, which we talked about plenty. We put the Xbox hardware talk on pause, though, when I asked how Microsoft was following through on its pledges. At one point in the exchange Spencer and I talked about Black people’s prominence—or lack thereof—in game studios and in leadership.

“The area where I think we really need to focus more as an industry, including my own team, are, as you said, those visible leaders,” Spencer said. “Because there was a generation where this didn’t happen.”

For years, Spencer was noting, Black people have not been given many chances to lead in gaming. Other people—the implication being “white people”—have ascended in the ranks at Western game companies.

“And as those people move up inside of the organization, you get a lot of people like me,” Spencer said, acknowledging that he’s yet another white guy in power. “And we don’t need more people like me in our organization. We need a more diverse team. So I’d say, for our focus right now, I think about manager representation.”

Check the link for more.

ruvikx

Banned
“And as those people move up inside of the organization, you get a lot of people like me,” Spencer said, acknowledging that he’s yet another white guy in power. “And we don’t need more people like me in our organization. We need a more diverse team. So I’d say, for our focus right now, I think about manager representation.”

Check the link for more.

Imagine if a Jew said "we don't need more Jews like me in our organization".

White guilt (conveniently not putting his own job at risk, of course) is so blasé in America these days.

More non believers than anything in order to end far right beliefs that races are a thing. Race is not science.

But yeah, we're talking about the asshole that believes a hadware can sell at 500$ with no games. Not like he's the best at understanding things.

Last edited:

Gerdav

“Positive discrimination” one of the far lefts buzzwords, the key is in the second word, no matter who gets the positive aspect someone is always being discriminated against based on race, gender, sexual preference etc etc, identity politics are open racism and pure cancer.

CAB_Life

This bodes poorly for their 1st party output, since Halo Infinite is a result of diversity hiring and we can see how that turned out. I’m fairly certain this is empty lip service though, especially since he’s talking to Woketaku.

Last edited:

Jon Neu

Banned
funny how these virtue signalling types supposedly striving for more diversity are never willing to give up their own jobs, just those of their subordinates.

It's the same people who complain about the rich but then don't want to give up their phones, their TV's, their cars, their expensive clothes, their frequent outside of the home meals and so on.

Hunnybun

He should stick up for himself more. They've made their most powerful console black, and the subservient one white, radically inverting traditional power structures.

Representation matters.

Meanwhile look at shitty Sony and their trash console with its highly problematic white power statements. The white encircles and dominates the black. The white literally elevates itself on a suppressed black stand.

The messaging could not be clearer.

FUCK Sony.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
Yes, those diversity hirings really did wonders for Halo Infinite.
Yep because for a game to be good its team obviously need :
-Every skin colors
-Every handicap possible
-Every sexuality
-Every gender (even the made up ones)
-Every beliefs

Who cares about capable management and competent devs as long as you have not even diversity but exhaustivity?

Last edited:
Not white or black or asian or gay or straight or trans, just..
...good at what they do.

Bluepoint studios

riDszRi.jpg

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
Race should not be a problem. Companies are supposed to hire talented people regardless of their religion or color.
Pushing for a specific race or gender in the name of diversity will back fire
Disclaimer : I am not an American white.
Yep but I think the problem about those companies is that you can't reach parity for example I studied in an IT school do you know the percentage of females in our school?
It was about 7% ... Go reach parity with that number...Though I'd add that they were more passionate than some of their males counterparts, which is obvious considering that some of their teachers tried to dissuade them to go in IT schools and to aimed at more social jobs .... So of course those that kept in the IT way were more passionate because they had to.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Maybe pay for scholarships so more black people can educate in game development?

Nah, that would make too much sense.
Should they pay for scholarships for black people and not for white people?

I mean, opportunities should be given regardless of gender or color. Positive discrimination is still discrimination.

Last edited:

Drewpee

Banned

During a recent interview with Xbox chief Phil Spencer, I asked him about this. His company, Microsoft, had made several pledges, including to do better by its Black employees, to recruit more Black workers to the tech giant, and to “double the number of Black and African American people managers, senior individual contributors, and senior leaders in the United States by 2025.”

“One of the worries is you kind of get hyper-focused at a certain time, and the election comes along and months go by and you almost just kind of shift,” Spencer told me. “The conversation turns to something else. And I do think it’s something that we should come back to.”

We came back to it when we were speaking last month, during a conversation that was set up ostensibly to talk about the next generation of Xboxes, which we talked about plenty. We put the Xbox hardware talk on pause, though, when I asked how Microsoft was following through on its pledges. At one point in the exchange Spencer and I talked about Black people’s prominence—or lack thereof—in game studios and in leadership.

“The area where I think we really need to focus more as an industry, including my own team, are, as you said, those visible leaders,” Spencer said. “Because there was a generation where this didn’t happen.”

For years, Spencer was noting, Black people have not been given many chances to lead in gaming. Other people—the implication being “white people”—have ascended in the ranks at Western game companies.

Check the link for more.

I agree with everything he said except the end. Spencer is the reason Xbox didn't go the way of Sega and is in a stronger position than ever before heading in the new generation. Gaming can use a few more Phil's, regardless of their skin color.

Last edited:

rnlval

Check the link for more.
Defining race-based means of production is getting close to Jim Crow and Nazi-style ideology.

FYI, CyberPunk 2077 has a Black book author and it's done on merit.

Last edited:

Needlecrash

I'm black. Fuck this pageantry of pandering. Hire based off of your skill set, accomplishments and credentials, not your race. This is racial discrimination taking precedent over being qualified to do the job. I hate this shit. If anything, just even the playing field for applicants when applying for a position and we're good. The equality and equity aspects of hiring needs to be looked at personally.

Last edited:

Hudo

Just hire competent leaders and don't give a shit about gender or the skin color. I feel like the discussion about skin color and gender itself every time has exactly the opposite effect of what is trying to be achieved. Just hire people that fit the role the best.

Top Bottom