• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer Says Studio Acquisitions Are A Good Thing

Like the 30 games they just announced during their showcase? 27 of which are coming to Game pass day one? Plenty of games man. :messenger_winking:
futureman yes GIF by HULU

Can't wait until 2023 (2026+ for Elder Scrolls).
Ah I see you aren't being serious. New games will be releasing every month for the next 6 months. Flight Simulator, The Ascent, Forza Horizon 5, and Halo Infinite will all be out this year dude and that's far from an exhaustive list. You can dislike Xbox but there is no need to lie with 'all games are coming out in 2023' nonsense. It looks foolish.

VAVA Mk2

Xbox is always behind Playstation. Sony pushed the power narrative in 2013 then Microsoft started doing that in 2017. Sony pushed the subscription and cloud gaming narrative with PS Now in 2015 then Microsoft started doing that in 2018. Sony pushed the first party games narrative in 2018 now Microsoft pushing the first party games narrative in 2021. Now according to Jim Ryan they are working on bringing their huge IP’s to mobile market because mobile is the biggest cash cow in 2021 just ask Roblox or CoD/Activision. When PS games does come to mobile, I expect Xbox to follow suit after a few years late once again.
HeBj2lP.png

Hezekiah

Banned
Ah I see you aren't being serious. New games will be releasing every month for the next 6 months. Flight Simulator, The Ascent, Forza Horizon 5, and Halo Infinite will all be out this year dude and that's far from an exhaustive list. You can dislike Xbox but there is no need to lie with 'all games are coming out in 2023' nonsense. It looks foolish.
Forza Horizon the only game there that interests me. Flight Sim 😁. After that it's Starfield, and frankly we still don't know anything about the game.

dcmk7

Banned
Microsoft jumped into the console business with a power narrative, that was how original Xbox was sold. And they’re more powerful now. Microsoft also had a powerful 1st party exclusive IP long before Sony with Halo. Regarding subscriptions Microsoft was ahead of Sony in Xbox Live, ahead of Sony on installable subscription games too. And Microsoft is launching on console and PC day 1 while Sony is playing catch up and comes in late 3 years later. 😉

Chevy Chase Community GIF

Gran Turismo is still around.

MScarpa

For now… we are in the honeymoon phase of all this. Wait till some of these studios go over budget and underperform and/or Game Pass begins losing subs.
And for now, A meteor hasn't struck earth, but when it does we will lose ALL THE SUBS!!

mckmas8808

Banned
Did big Phil just say this last year?

Console exclusive games have long been a hallmark feature of new console generations. Exclusive titles force gamers to adopt a new console as soon as possible with warnings of spoilers and FOMO nipping at their heels. For those in lower socioeconomic groups, this means added pressure for an expensive upgrade they may not be able to afford. This is why the Xbox Series X isn’t focusing on console exclusive games, according to Xbox head Phil Spencer. In a recent interview with GamesIndustry, Spencer said the lack of current console exclusives is intentional.

“We should applaud load times and fidelity of scenes and framerate and input latency, and all of these things that we’ve focused on with the next generation,” Spencer said. “But that should not exclude people from being able to play.” Spencer classified gaming as a fun, community activity — and not one that should ever exclude people based on their financial situation or lack of access. “Gaming is about entertainment and community and diversion and learning new stories and new perspectives,” he said. “I find it completely counter to what gaming is about to say that part of that is to lock people away from being able to experience those games. Or to force someone to buy my specific device on the day that I want them to go buy it, in order to partake in what gaming is about. Gaming is bigger than any one device…”

This is sorta confusing. Because buying a Publisher or a few Developers means they'll be exclusive to MS. Which flies in the face of what he said one year ago, last summer.

Fredrik

Gran Turismo is still around.
Oh cool racing games matters again now we’re talking!

The last 10 years of Forza:

Forza Horizon 4 - 92
Forza Motorsport 7 - 86
Forza Horizon 3 - 91
Forza Motorsport 6 - 87
Forza Horizon 2 - 86
Forza Motorsport 5 - 79
Forza Horizon - 85
Forza Motorsport 4 - 91

The last 10 years of Gran Turismo:

Gran Turismo Sport - 75
Gran Turismo 6 - 81
Gran Turismo 5 - 84

🤭

dcmk7

Banned
Oh cool racing games matters again now we’re talking!

The last 10 years of Forza:

Forza Horizon 4 - 92
Forza Motorsport 7 - 86
Forza Horizon 3 - 91
Forza Motorsport 6 - 87
Forza Horizon 2 - 86
Forza Motorsport 5 - 79
Forza Horizon - 85
Forza Motorsport 4 - 91

The last 10 years of Gran Turismo:

Gran Turismo Sport - 75
Gran Turismo 6 - 81
Gran Turismo 5 - 84

🤭
What the hell is this?

How's that related to anything I wrote? Who mentioned Forza or the last 10 years worth of sequels? :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

TheGrat1

I bought a launch 360. It didn't come with a wired controller. It doesn't change the fact that the 360 was the first console to launch with wireless controllers standard. They had rumble too and if I remember the PS3 launch controllers did not.
That was because you bought the bundle that had a wireless one. Some launch 360s came with hard drives. Does that make hard drives standard for the platform? Of course not. Standard would mean it was included with all SKUs, the 360 did not have that.
xbox_2005.jpg

Fredrik

Did I say they didn't matter? When was that?
You didn’t but you used Gran Turismo as an answer to my post about how big the Halo IP was. Yes Gran Turismo is a big IP for racing fans but generally speaking people aren’t putting racers on pedestals anymore, if they did my list would mean more than it does because Microsoft has been delivering in racing for several generations now. If you look at metacritics you actually have to go back to Gran Turismo 3 on PS2 to find a GT that beats Forza Horizon 4 on metascore.

Zannrebel

This is sorta confusing. Because buying a Publisher or a few Developers means they'll be exclusive to MS. Which flies in the face of what he said one year ago, last summer.
Xcloud is the answer to that statement.

dcmk7

Banned
You didn’t but you used Gran Turismo as an answer to my post about how big the Halo IP was. Yes Gran Turismo is a big IP for racing fans but generally speaking people aren’t putting racers on pedestals anymore, if they did my list would mean more than it does because Microsoft has been delivering in racing for several generations now. If you look at metacritics you actually have to go back to Gran Turismo 3 on PS2 to find a GT that beats Forza Horizon 4 on metascore.

My whole point was that Gran Turismo is a very long running first party IP from Sony.

Nothing about metacritic or Forza.

But I get it, someone or a group said it didn't count in another argument in another thread somewhere.

Studios yes. Publishers? I disagree. But what’s done is done.
MS dont go to studios or publisher with guns and threaten them to join.

Bethesda and MS were talking about merger since 2016. Acquisitions takes place after months of discussions and both parties agreeing to terms and conditions nd all. Bethesda leadership agreed on deal and decided to join. They were fully aware that joining Xbox means PS will lose their games but they still joined coz Zenimax was not doing good financially and joining MS gave them financial security.

No company joins without a good reason. They see all options and choose what best for them and not what good for PS gamers lol.

Fredrik

My whole point was that Gran Turismo is a very long running first party IP from Sony.

Nothing about metacritic or Forza.

But I get it, someone or a group said it didn't count in another argument in another thread somewhere.
Yeah sorry should’ve been more clear in my jab there, racing games gets downplayed every single time people go on about exclusives. It’s often said that MS hasn’t been able to make a 90+ exclusive for a long time, which they obviously have

Forza Horizon the only game there that interests me. Flight Sim 😁. After that it's Starfield, and frankly we still don't know anything about the game.
That's cool. Thankfully MS offers a wide variety of games that appeal to a wide variety of tastes. Lots of genres for lots of occasions. Again plenty for Xbox fans to be satisfied with.

That was because you bought the bundle that had a wireless one. Some launch 360s came with hard drives. Does that make hard drives standard for the platform? Of course not. Standard would mean it was included with all SKUs, the 360 did not have that.
xbox_2005.jpg
I respectfully disagree. Before the 360 which console packed in a wireless controller standard? MS did it first. They were also the first to include a hard drive with every console with the original Xbox. The fact that 360 didn't do the same thing doesn't take away from the fact MS did it first. There is nothing wrong with acknowledging a fact man.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Bo_Hazem Bo_Hazem can't go back to last gen titles, from what I understand.

GamePass and PS Now would be wasted on him, right now.

100%. Also I can afford my games. Also I don't like the indies and shovelware thrown there so those services are pretty too expensive to me. It's good to go for 1 month for day one release and cancel the subscription though.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member

The context of that is about Series X exclusives.

It's in the URL: "xbox-series-x-exclusives-phil-spencer"
The link preview: "Xbox boss Phil Spencer has spoken out against Xbox Series X exclusive games"
The article: "Or to force someone to buy my specific device on the day that I want them to go buy it, in order to partake in what gaming is about. Gaming is bigger than any one device…”

This has nothing to do with Sony. They never said anything about putting them on PlayStation.

dcmk7

Banned
Are you an ad?
Nah man. He's totally neutral, he says so right here.

You are so cute fishy! What the heck is a flee-pit? Am I fleeing from a PS5 with coil whine to one without? I would love that! I hope Sony does right by me. Again I don't have a side I have every console which I'm sure all you guys speaking about the Xbox have as well. Why would anyone talk about a system they don't own and don't like?

That's cool. Thankfully MS offers a wide variety of games that appeal to a wide variety of tastes. Lots of genres for lots of occasions. Again plenty for Xbox fans to be satisfied with.
Tall tales from the"Book of Phil" @fanfiction.net written by DirkMagusDCXIX.

Tell us when you have something real, you're just satisfied with PR, not actual released games.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole

Phil Spencer said:
“Gaming is about entertainment and community and diversion and learning new stories and new perspectives,” he said. “I find it completely counter to what gaming is about to say that part of that is to lock people away from being able to experience those games. Or to force someone to buy my specific device on the day that I want them to go buy it, in order to partake in what gaming is about. Gaming is bigger than any one device…”

This is their "anyone with an Xbox, a PC, or a web browser (xCloud) can play our games" pitch.

None of their games are locked to one device today because of PC; and in the future because everything will eventually be on xCloud..

Phil always gets paraphrased lol

Last edited:

Warablo

Poor little Zanimax. Thank goodness for white night Phill rescuing you from your mediocrity. Won’t someone think of the other wittle studios, EA, Activision - please rescue them.

Man this guy
Zenimax had to be willing to sell. It wasn't like a hostile takeover or anything. They obviously wanted out or saw that the risk was too great, so they wanted to get out.

ZywyPL

Banned
Which is a Microsoft ecosystem and a subscription. A decent answer, but a terrible one if it's not in your country or you don't want to pay for a subscription, or you have half bad internet.

But whose fault is that some platforms are as hermetic and alienated as only possible? If you'r purposely going into Apple, Sony or Nintendo ecosystems, you're doing it with full responsibility and can blame no one but yourself. And if you're really that desperate to play a game that's hardly locked to MS systems, you can always get XSS for 299 and call it a day, it's literally cost of merely 3-4 fully priced games.

Zenimax had to be willing to sell. It wasn't like a hostile takeover or anything. They obviously wanted out or saw that the risk was too great, so they wanted to get out.

Spencer literally said in the podcast that the talks with Zenimax CEO about a potencial acquisition started years ago already.

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Poor little Zanimax. Thank goodness for white night Phill rescuing you from your mediocrity. Won’t someone think of the other wittle studios, EA, Activision - please rescue them.

Man this guy
Nothing he said had anything to do with rescuing anyone.. or a business even being small.

It's basically "it's natural for people who create businesses to have an eventual goal of cashing in based on the value they built."

Bethesda/Zenimax were started by a small group of people long ago.. had some private investors along the way, and eventually all fully cashed in with MS.. it's.. what people creating businesses OFTEN look to do eventually.

Having said that, I don't love the industry consolidation.. but from the standpoint of the businesses themselves, agree with Spencer here.. not sure why anyone wouldn't.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Banned
The context of that is about Series X exclusives.

It's in the URL: "xbox-series-x-exclusives-phil-spencer"
The link preview: "Xbox boss Phil Spencer has spoken out against Xbox Series X exclusive games"
The article: "Or to force someone to buy my specific device on the day that I want them to go buy it, in order to partake in what gaming is about. Gaming is bigger than any one device…”

This has nothing to do with Sony. They never said anything about putting them on PlayStation.

You are right, but the same principle applies. He was the one to say "exclusives are counter to what gaming is about".

IntentionalPun

You don't have to buy a specific device to play Xbox games.. and as some people love to say, there are no exclusive Xbox games lol

They've expanded that to anyone with a browser now (although technically true, fuck game streaming).. and have even said they'd be willing to entertain gamepass on other consoles.

He quite literally did not say what he is "quoted" as saying. Same with this thread title really; not a good paraphrasing of what he said.. which was more like "people create businesses specifically to sell some day."

Last edited:

Jigga117

Of course an executive from a company who started business by buying stuff instead of creating it would say that. It's been their modus operandi from the very beginning, ever since they bought DOS when they couldn't create an OS of their own for IBM in time, and it's still the same with Windows and Xbox. They had all these years and the fabled Warchest™ to create studios of their own, but instead of putting in the work they chose the easier route to bandage the problem. Their solution takes content permanently away from people, instead of bringing something new to gaming, unlike what Sony and Nintendo have done.
Some of you with this wall of whining either don’t research the contradictions of the points your making or really just flat out ignore reality of the situation. Either way is hilarious

Xbox is always behind Playstation. Sony pushed the power narrative in 2013 then Microsoft started doing that in 2017. Sony pushed the subscription and cloud gaming narrative with PS Now in 2015 then Microsoft started doing that in 2018. Sony pushed the first party games narrative in 2018 now Microsoft pushing the first party games narrative in 2021. Now according to Jim Ryan they are working on bringing their huge IP’s to mobile market because mobile is the biggest cash cow in 2021 just ask Roblox or CoD/Activision. When PS games does come to mobile, I expect Xbox to follow suit after a few years late once again.
Lol wut?

Top Bottom