• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer Says PS5's DualSense Could Inspire Xbox Controller Changes

Barakov

jHbU8Nt.png

"Xbox boss Phil Spencer is a fan of Sony's DualSense controller for the PS5, and in a recent interview he hinted that the company may be inspired to make a more feature-rich peripheral for the Xbox Series X|S.

"We're definitely thinking about different kinds of devices that can bring more games to more places," Spencer said on the Kinda Funny Gamescast as reported by VGC. "There's probably some work that we’ll do on the controller. I think Sony's done a nice job with their controller and we kind of look at some of that and think there are things that we should go do."
I guess if it's haptic feedback, I'd have no problem with it. Ergonomically, I have no problem with the current Xbox controller. It's a pretty good controller to play games with.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
I cant go back to the normal controllers after using the dualsense, its just amazing especially when the developers implement it well.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
What's groundbreaking about the Dualsense?

Serious question.
depends on your preference, for me its immersion, feels like you are actually in the video game. Like when you are web swigning like spiderman, you can feel the "detach" of the web when you swings, pretty cool.

However, if you are one of those people who feels like its just a gimmick, its not for you no matter how much we try to explain for you.

Just like how people thinks that touch screen is just a gimmick and prefers buttons instead.

Last edited:

MrFunSocks

Banned
where are you hearing this bullshit ?

You have full control over the controller and features.

3 level and an option to turn everything off.

DS is easily the best controller out now.
Someone hasn't used an Elite controller I see.

If it doesn't have paddles on the back, it's not the best controller. Playing dual analogue control games with an elite is an actual game changer.

Last edited:
I actually already turned off adaptive triggers to try and preserve my PS5 controllers. It's a cool feature, but not worth ruining them in a manner of weeks. Still probably won't be enough to survive 2 years without returning them through warranty.
How would you ruin them? So far I've beaten Miles Morales twice and platinumed it, Spiderman PS4 and got the platinum, beat immortals fenyx, demon souls(actually beat it a few times), returnal + got the plat..and I beat yuffie, sackboy, played over 50 matches on guilty gear, and I should be finishing up Scarlet Nexus this week(About 80% of the way through) and my launch controller is still in great shape and the triggers feel fine. Thats not even counting my wife playing..hell the only reason its getting a rest now is because we been running the black + magenta controllers since we bought both.
Are there reports of it breaking already or something? It's pretty durable in my opinion...and the xbox series X launch controller is too..I dropped that thing down a few stairs cause my PC is upstairs/console downstairs and I was running back down after going to grab it and dropped it, the back/battery door didn't even come off and my xbox one controllers battery door always did lol

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
How would you ruin them? So far I've beaten Miles Morales twice and platinumed it, Spiderman PS4 and got the platinum, beat immortals fenyx, demon souls(actually beat it a few times), returnal + got the plat..and I beat yuffie, sackboy, played over 50 matches on guilty gear, and I should be finishing up Scarlet Nexus this week(About 80% of the way through) and my launch controller is still in great shape and the triggers feel fine. Thats not even counting my wife playing..hell the only reason its getting a rest now is because we been running the black + magenta controllers since we bought both.
Are there reports of it breaking already or something? It's pretty durable in my opinion...and the xbox series X launch controller is too..I dropped that thing down a few stairs cause my PC is upstairs/console downstairs and I was running back down after going to grab it and dropped it, the back/battery door didn't even come off and my xbox one controllers battery door always did lol
I have 2 launch controllers and they still work, however one of them shows some wear in how the right analogue stick works (which is bizarre since the left stick does most of the job in games). If you read on the Internet what other people say it's not very durable and I personally know of 2 people who returned their controllers after the drifting issue popped up.

I have 2 launch controllers and they still work, however one of them shows some wear in how the right analogue stick works (which is bizarre since the left stick does most of the job in games). If you read on the Internet what other people say it's not very durable and I personally know of 2 people who returned their controllers after the drifting issue popped up.
Sheesh you got me scared lol. We been playing the hell out of them with no issue yet, but I think I might spread it out a bit more now lol. Only issue I had with the thing so far is the system fail/rebuild thing after attempting to resume after Rest mode, and somehow a save file for ghost of tsushima with 100+ hours playtime just vanished, but that one was maybe user error lol

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Microsoft sent me a survey months ago asking if I wanted features like those in the DualSense in the Xbox Series X/S controllers. So they've definitely been feeling out their player base for some time on this.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Lol people shitting on dualsense dpad.
I actually like the more tactile, deeper dpad rather than microswitch clicky xbox one.
tbh I liked the dpad on 360 too :p

Zannegan

Linear actuators for "HD rumble" are nice. The triggers would take a ton of R&D to replicate without violating Sony's patent, so I doubt they copy that feature this gen.

Really though, there's no call for them to be exactly the same as Sony, but they should have tried to show SOME originality in the controller. I get that they want to sell elites, but back buttons/paddles as a standard would have been real nice touch. Instead of trying for any meaningful improvement, they launch a plastic shell that (correct me if I'm wrong) doesn't even have a gyro for gyro aiming for those who like that sort of thing. They brought nothing new to the table.

I get that you don't want to reinvent the wheel, but a few basic, established improvements could have at least put them in contention. Instead, they just sat back and ceded all controller advancements to Sony.

Last edited:

MrFunSocks

Banned
Linear actuators for "HD rumble" are nice. The triggers would take a ton of R&D to replicate without violating Sony's patent, so I doubt they copy that feature this gen.

Really though, there's no call for them to be exactly the same as Sony, but they should have tried to show SOME originality in the controller. I get that they want to sell elites, but back buttons/paddles as a standard would have been real nice touch. Instead of trying for any meaningful improvement, they launch a plastic shell that (correct me if I'm wrong) doesn't even have a gyro for gyro aiming for those who like that sort of thing. They brought nothing new to the table.

I get that you don't want to reinvent the wheel, but a few basic, established improvements could have at least put them in contention. Instead, they just sat back and ceded all controller advancements to Sony.
Yet the Xbox One/Series X/S controller is still considered the best controller around and the default for PC. Microsoft knocked their design and feature set out of the park from the 360 days and have just slightly iterated on it because it's near perfection. In a few years time we'll all be talking about the triggers the same way we do the trackpad - we won't.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Ok, soon enough haptic feedback and dynamic triggers will become important suddenly hehe.

I keep saying it, honestly, if the game performance is close enough and the Dual Sense implementation is decently enough done I will go PS5 for that version of the game.

Cyborg

DualSense is for me the best controller at the moment! Going back to DualShock or any other controller is so hard.
I do find it refreshing that Phill gives credits and is honest that Xbox will implement this. It won't be a 100% copy they will also add new stuff, I'm sure of it.

That is something great.Like the xbox360 inspired the PlayStation 3 with online stuff now it’s PlayStations turn to inspire xbox.This is always something great everyone wins,especially every gamer wins.

Zannegan

Yet the Xbox One/Series X/S controller is still considered the best controller around and the default for PC. Microsoft knocked their design and feature set out of the park from the 360 days and have just slightly iterated on it because it's near perfection. In a few years time we'll all be talking about the triggers the same way we do the trackpad - we won't.
And back paddles or some other meaningful upgrade? I'm not asking them to clone the DS5.

The fact that they had such a good base to build from makes their lack of innovation worse, not better.

The DualSense is a big bag of tricks, but I still find it more comfortable over long game sessions than the Xbox Series one. Interested to see the next Xbox controller and what features/gimmicks they choose.

MrFunSocks

Banned
And back paddles or some other meaningful upgrade? I'm not asking them to clone the DS5.

The fact that they had such a good base to build from makes their lack of innovation worse, not better.
Back paddles won't be on the default controller most likely ever, well at least unless Sony adds them to their default controller. It's the main selling point of the Elite so they don't want to give up that cash cow.

It's a controller that takes input from the player, there's only so much innovation necessary. I just want more buttons tbh. I don't want gimmicky things like the trackpad or waggle or gestures. I want buttons, and I want games to only use those buttons because otherwise those games can become unplayable in the future and become locked to that specific hardware.

Zannegan

Back paddles won't be on the default controller most likely ever, well at least unless Sony adds them to their default controller. It's the main selling point of the Elite so they don't want to give up that cash cow.

It's a controller that takes input from the player, there's only so much innovation necessary. I just want more buttons tbh. I don't want gimmicky things like the trackpad or waggle or gestures. I want buttons, and I want games to only use those buttons because otherwise those games can become unplayable in the future and become locked to that specific hardware.
They could still sell Elites based on their quality. Holding back a meaningful, inexpensive upgrade for the sake of selling a luxury version isn't really a defense.

I DO get your point about wanting to avoid features that might make playing games on future hardware difficult, and it's a fair consideration. On the other hand, if you never implement new features, you never get a new standard. Regardless, MS has avoided implementing features that ARE now standard, such as a gyro (which is not "waggle") or linear actuators for improved rumble.

Fredrik

The triggers would take a ton of R&D to replicate without violating Sony's patent, so I doubt they copy that feature this gen.
Have Sony patented force feedback triggers or just a specific way of doing it?

I just want distinct rumble with lots of power. Can they do that at least?

There are lots of things about Dualsense that feels like a gimmick, even pointless and annoying and like the button is broken. That said, feeling the trigger rattle in complete sync with the sound when firing a machine gun is something I’ll truly miss whenever it isn’t there from now on. The Glitch segments in Ratchet & Clank is magical.

ZywyPL

Banned
I couldn't care less about vibrations, I always turn them off because they don't anything to the games for me while draining the battery. Triggers, again, not a fan of those since ever they were introduced in X360, give me responsive buttons instead like the Elite controller does. Long story short, if the gameplay is good the game doesn't need gimmicks, and if the gameplay sucks no gimmicks will save it.

What I'd personally prefer MS to do is to make some sort of a more affordable Elite controller, like drop down the customization options and even the build-in battery pack if necessary, make everything fixed instead, one fixed dpad, fixed back paddles/buttons, at least two of them if not four, and those short/responsive triggers, basically to try to make the Elite controller's functionality the default XB controller somewhere in the near future.

Too late for this gen, though. If new functions should be implemented in most games, most Xbox owners must have that controller from the start. Otherwise, why bother?

We aren't even a year in and 95% of the people that want an Xbox don't have one it's perfect time for a rumble upgrade

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Not only is it coming i am 99% certain they a,ready have working prototypes that several are testing in house.

Even though I prefer the Razer controller vs the Elite Series 2 if you put these haptics into an Elite Series 3 that has the same back paddles and trigger stops it would hands down be the best controller on the market.

And I do like the Dual Sense but 100% I shut off the triggers as to me that is indeed a gimmick that just hurts my old wrists over time plus slows me down in any kind of shooter.

But yes this is coming and it’s only a matter of time now.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Not only is it coming i am 99% certain they a,ready have working prototypes that several are testing in house.

Even though I prefer the Razer controller vs the Elite Series 2 if you put these haptics into an Elite Series 3 that has the same back paddles and trigger stops it would hands down be the best controller on the market.

And I do like the Dual Sense but 100% I shut off the triggers as to me that is indeed a gimmick that just hurts my old wrists over time plus slows me down in any kind of shooter.

But yes this is coming and it’s only a matter of time now.
I do not have young wrists anymore either, but I like the triggers.

Motion controls + Haptics + Dynamic Triggers can be a joy to use together as Astro proved for me very very clearly :).

Last edited:
Top Bottom