• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer Says PS5's DualSense Could Inspire Xbox Controller Changes

Zones

Yeah...Xbox 360 was really an unoriginal and horrible system and totally copied the ps3.

/sarcasm
Bad example...

Microsoft paid IBM to put the fundamentals of the same CPU that Sony invested in heavily to make PS3 unique. Full story here.

Kokoloko85

He’ll probably bad mouth the Dual Sense next week. Phil loves being passive aggressive about a console he doesn’t see as competition anymore lol

Zones

Microsoft patented an adjustable-tension trigger design in 2018 so they have been exploring the idea for awhile.

Yep, but ultimately didn’t take risk and waited for Sony to market and push some aspects of the controller before having the guts to do so by themselves.

Exactly like their approach with VR in the console space... ‘wait for Sony to pour money and establish a market before jumping in‘.

martino

Make them operate like the damn PCs they are, so mouse and KB can be utilized for FPSs and RTSs can be a real thing.
i discovered the other day mouse and keyboard work for zombi army 4 on ps4 (i guess ps5 has nothing special for this game)
so it's up to the dev i think

Last edited:

SSfox

57993050.jpg

Yep, but ultimately didn’t take risk and waited for Sony to market and push some aspects of the controller before having the guts to do so by themselves.

Exactly like their approach with VR in the console space... ‘wait for Sony to pour money and establish a market before jumping in‘.
Sony waited for MS to have wireless controllers standard, ethernet standard, universal online on consoles, hard drives standard in consoles, and lets not forget achievements. Companies ' borrow' ideas all the time. The thing is that MS hasn't done VR nor copied Sony controller. Sony absolutely used all the things I mentioned. This talk about them not having the 'guts' is pretty silly. MS was heavily criticized for their ethernet standard and it became the norm regardless.

I'm hoping that MS doesn't copy Sony's controller because there are several aspects of the current Xbox controller I like better. At this point seeing how they are also making devices on PC that both companies are doing slightly different things and copying Sony might not be the best idea. The reverse is also true.

cireza

Banned

Pretty much how Nintendo waited for Sony to make the PS Move before releasing the Wiimote. Oh wait...

It really shines in some games, and in others its supposed to be in I barely notice it.

I absolutely love the way it feels when playing Scarlet Nexus. When you use your powers to pull an object, the feed back it gives is really amazing. And once I started paying attention to the audio cues on the controller and learning how to really interact with it I started to breeze through Returnal before beating it.

The controller would be great with Gears, having to rev the chainsaw up by pulling on a trigger thats giving pressure and feedback + rumbling would be dope. Do it Phil

Banned
just make the DualSense compatible with Xbox natively... they can do that easily tbh.

but either way GYRO release a controller with a damn gyroscope!

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I’ll take an elite series 3 with the triggers. Maybe hmmm. It would be good if they were across the board and then devs would support them more.

What's groundbreaking about the Dualsense?

Serious question.
Man if you know anyone with Returnal or even Spiderman/Miles Morales on PS5 just ask them to let you play around for like 10 mins. It gives differen't levels of feedback based on what you're doing, the weapon you're firing, the movements you're making an so on. The trigger has great resistance so if you're playing a game with a bow/arrow for example and you try and pull an arrow, the trigger will tighten and give you that resistance to emulate the feeling of drawing an arrow.

Or it can be used for multiple things..Like in Returnal pressing it halfway on the L2 aims, and pulling it all the way Aims and preps the firing of your secondary weapon etc. Its pretty smart

I wasn't the biggest fan of the idea until I got my PS5 in my hands launch day and started playing Miles Morales with it..Thats when It hit me like oooooooh they're on to something

When you say force feedback triggers are you talking about the haptic triggers on PS5? Or the rumble motors in the XBOX One controller? I've been wondering if the haptic triggers on PS5 increase/quicken hand fatigue.

My fingers get sore after about 2hrs of playing on PS4 or XBOX. That's the joy of getting older and years of messing up my hands playing sports :messenger_grinning_squinting:

I think you can adjust the intensity of those triggers and turn them off if you don't like them.

Didn't the over joyous guy already said the same thing at the start of this generation?

I'll be glad if MS updates their controller so more games would implement haptic triggers stuff.

Saber

Gold Member
I aways like the level of d-pad DS4 and Dualsense presents. Not a fan of their gimmick though, but since you can disable they're both great. If they want to copy that, cuddles to them. I only wish controllers weren't so dependant on the analog triggers.

anthony2690

Banned
What's groundbreaking about the Dualsense?

Serious question.
Honestly nothing. (Imo)

The Rumble is excellent though, very very impressive on astro.

Buttons and dpad are oddly squishy too, made doing iads on rev2 inconsistent for myself.

What I'd personally like to see Sony do, is use the psvita dpad on their controllers instead, make the triggers a better shape.

Move the analog stick (this will never happen I know)

& lastly not have squishy buttons, the overall shape of the pad is a big improvement from the dualshock 4 though.

Last edited:

93xfan

Banned
Really like it in its current configuration, but I guess it’s going to evolve. Would turn off adaptive triggers in competitive shooters for sure, but may enjoy the advanced rumble.

I love the Dualsense and own both the Series X and PS5. As someone who primarily games this gen so far on the Series X I actually do prefer the Dualsense. Not specifically because of the haptic feedback but rather how the controller feels at hand and its shape. But last 10 years or so I've always preferred the feel of the Xbox controllers. I despised DS4 and DS3.

I think the Series X controller is still great but do prefer the Dualsense if I had to be honest. Either way, thankfully both consoles don't have shit controllers like previous generations. Dualshock 4 was horrendous, it would break all time and the sticks would get bad.

Hope it's well implemented if it happens. I heard the results are very mixed with the Dualsense.
It’s not too bad but the build quality once again is shithouse….I’m on my 3rd dual sense as the first 2 all had trigger issues and stick drift

if they make a stronger controller with better battery life I’m happy but the other factor is dual sense can be annoying in some games

I’m trying to play f1 2021 and instead of enjoying the experience with precise control I’m fighting with the triggers and locking up the car wheels….this is not immersive it’s fucking annoying
and you miss the full control to feather the brake and accelerator….other games I have turned it off also as it makes no sense to have stiff triggers

R6Rider

Gold Member
It’s not too bad but the build quality once again is shithouse….I’m on my 3rd dual sense as the first 2 all had trigger issues and stick drift
Was it a trigger sensitivity issue? Guarantee it was the springs breaking inside. They are super cheap to replace and fairly easy to do yourself. Just replaced both of mine recently.

I'm expecting stick drift in the future though, as I had that issue on 2 DS4's along with another DS4 having a d-pad issue.

Despite the issue so far, it's by far my favorite controller I've used.

Calverz

IMO in Doom Eternal the adaptive triggers give the weapons some needed Punch. Even more so in RE Village. I love the feature.
The impulse triggers in RE Village on xbox gives far greater feedback than the dual sense adaptive triggers. Especially when you are being bitten by an enemy. I tested both in the demos.

MaKTaiL

I hope they add haptic and adaptive triggers because this mean all games will likely support it fully and it becomes standard.

Last edited:

Calverz

I have both consoles. Personally all i think the xbox controller needs is gyro, haptic feedback and maybe a mic. The rest of the stuff is pure gimmick imo.

Tiamat2san

In the end I like the adaptive triggers but dislike the small vibrations inside the pad.

i still vastly prefer series X/S gamepad though.
The shape is more comfortable and the D-pad is waaaaaaaay better (terrible on the dualsense) but maybe a little too noisy.

Do it.

Controller will be amazing while playing Gran Turismo 7. Going over the curb/rumble strips on the edges of tracks, changes is terrain, brake and pedal pressure (Wreckfest does this well) or maybe even acting as a clutch.

Excited Daniel Cormier GIF by UFC

Having that type of controller for more games would be great.
I don't see how haptic triggers would do any of that though.

The gas and brake pedal don't get harder to push depending on the terrain. Brake and gas pedal pressure stays pretty consistent, which triggers have always had. Using either trigger for a clutch would seem counter intuitive to me.

There's certainly types of games where haptics could really help in simulating the feel of performing an action. I just can't see how it work in racing.

Ivan

I still prefer the shape of Xbox controller, but I would add Dualsense sticks, silent buttons and d-pad to it.

Last edited:
Was it a trigger sensitivity issue? Guarantee it was the springs breaking inside. They are super cheap to replace and fairly easy to do yourself. Just replaced both of mine recently.

I'm expecting stick drift in the future though, as I had that issue on 2 DS4's along with another DS4 having a d-pad issue.

Despite the issue so far, it's by far my favorite controller I've used.
  • First controller got drift issues on the stick and the right trigger became loose and made things like a car accelerate unless you held it to the off position
  • Second controller the triggers fully broke
  • Third control im on now the triggers are starting to feel loose like the first
Im not rough with the controls either and i dont game on this thing 24/7 as i have been playing series x and switch so its not a wear and tear thing..just crap design and cheap parts/manufacturing

K2D

Banned
Hey - if it means I can play The Elders rolls VI: Redfall with Dual Sense features - I'm all for it..
!

CobraAB

No opinions on the Dual Sense as I can’t get a hold of a fucking PS5.

PS, PS2, PSP, {S3 and Vita were all launch day purchases. PS4 was about 2 months after launch.

Pretty new territory for me

GHG

Gold Member
What about players that don't have the newer controller?
Companies are not going to implement features that *require* a new controller and lose money and customers in the process.
Nothing would change, because the features would still be just an afterthought, not core features of any game.

Companies focus on what the big majority of PC players has at their disposal, which are the 360 and the Xbox One controllers.
Xbox should just stick to what works.

PC games very rarely if ever require any kind of specific input device or a device that has certain features. If you want to use a controller that doesn't support rumble you can do. Don't want to use analogue sticks, you can do that too. Directinput is a universal fallback for a reason.

• First controller got drift issues on the stick and the right trigger became loose and made things like a car accelerate unless you held it to the off position
  • Second controller the triggers fully broke
  • Third control im on now the triggers are starting to feel loose like the first
Im not rough with the controls either and i dont game on this thing 24/7 as i have been playing series x and switch so its not a wear and tear thing..just crap design and cheap parts/manufacturing

They are intelligently designed to self destruct based on your posts on NeoGAF. Coincidentally that's also the system's trigger for determining whether or not to emit coil whine.

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
I actually already turned off adaptive triggers to try and preserve my PS5 controllers. It's a cool feature, but not worth ruining them in a manner of weeks. Still probably won't be enough to survive 2 years without returning them through warranty.

That sounds like good business strategy too me. Wait for your Competitor to try it and if it succeed you do it yourself but with a better version that business 101 lol

PC games very rarely if ever require any kind of specific input device or a device that has certain features. If you want to use a controller that doesn't support rumble you can do. Don't want to use analogue sticks, you can do that too. Directinput is a universal fallback for a reason.

They are intelligently designed to self destruct based on your posts on NeoGAF. Coincidentally that's also the system's trigger for determining whether or not to emit coil whine.
Coil whine is a whole other subject….I love my ps5 but Sony suck ass when it comes to design and manufacturing shit…..do people with Bravia TVs have build quality issues…just want to know if it’s a Sony thing

Marvel

could never
As long as it's just haptics, those are fucking rad. Don't need resistant springs for triggers, my R2 just broke on one of my dualsense.

IDappa

I'd rather them push a controller update that allows you to maybe double tap the guide button to unmute/mute your ingame mic so you can talk in game and also be in a party like project winter. Maybe default everyone to party and Ingame simultaneous chat so more people talk ingame, if they don't want to hear people ingame then just mute?.

Haven't played it but from what I have heard from mates is that social heavy games like rust suffer from no comms which force people to just make mega parties just to talk to people.

Top Bottom