• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer says he spends ‘zero energy’ on console wars - ‘doesn’t envision’ a time when every Xbox user subscribes to Game Pass

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
What can I say. Its fascinating that you can create a whole argument, then reach this point. I feel sorry for you.
Next time you are trying to argue with someone, try to understand what you are arguing first.
Yep it took me a too long time to understand you were not talking in good faith therefore was not worth the effort to teach that what you believe isn't necessarily the truth.But one day you'll get there, one day you will be able to differentiate reality and a made up opinion.Go on flat earther live your fantasy to the fullest.

MacReady13

i cant believe people actually think cloud gaming is the future. how long has ps now been around for? why have sony not backed it and put more focus into it if its the future? what happened to google with their cloud vision? i thought they had the "money and infrastructure". when is this future going to even start becoming a reality because time and time again we have seen that cloud gaming is a niche that will forever be the "future". i like the extra option but i dont see this reality where billions of people are playing games through the cloud on an app. why would mobile gamers who barely know how to even hold a controller properly all of a sudden be interested in big console type gaming? i see it in real life all the time. they simpy have no interest in them.
Agree 100%. People seem to think it is the future yet I see nothing that indicates that is the case. Anyone who gets in on it fails big time. These companies seem to think console (home) gaming will translate to gaming on the go wherever you are! Mobile gaming works for a reason, and mobile gaming DOESN'T work on consoles for a reason as well.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
I'm only a dummy for using memes and shit posts to point out that you're aggressively console warring. I'm still trying to legitimately assess what your ultimate point is beyond it.

Sony uses Azure. Sony doesn't compete or matter in IAAS. Microsoft is a trillion+ company that always focused on licensing and service contracts, and the pivot to Azure and it's expansion is par the course.

So again, we come back to your argument:

Considering PSN and Xbox are running on the same backend, and everybody knows it. How is this post not pure console warrior shit? If it isn't, what point are you trying to make?

Whats different from what i am saying? They use rackspace, Azure and they have used AWS. We all know that, what the fuck is your point?

My point is very clear from the beginnen. People changed the narrative as if Xbox is the only one that can do it because their parant company has their own data centers. Sure but it’s completely bullshit to state that PS is not capable at all.

The only thing you are doing is crying about console warring, only because you have some sort of “opinion”. Don’t be such a pussy dude..

It’s about facts, not your fucking feelings for Phil Spencer.

Last edited:

kingfey

Banned
Yep it took me a too long time to understand you were not talking in good faith therefore was not worth the effort to teach that what you believe isn't necessarily the truth.But one day you'll get there, one day you will be able to differentiate reality and a made up opinion.Go on flat earther live your fantasy to the fullest.
What good faith you are talking.
I simply made a point. You went south with it. Explained it to you. Yet, you still went and brought other stuff, that isn't not even part of the topic. You kept arguing about it.

And now you are trying to play the victim.

So now my question for you is, is Spencer responsible for MS 1st party sad state, or was it Don matrick with his TV vision?

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
tumblr_pabt0cT2AR1vaqoiqo1_400.gifv

Nice edit guy, telling me that I have never seen a data center. Whereas I'm sincerely asking you to explain your position here, warrior.

Fun fact. I am an idiot, and a clown. I choose to be. It helps me cope and forget about the dark ages I spent on payroll many years ago for both Sun Microsystems & also Microsoft, supporting their enterprise services.

Well i don't have to explain my position, the fact that you said that Sony is no match for them, makes you sound stupid, They rent we all know that, they don't have to own anything same as Disney, Netflix or Apple. PSNow is not much different from how they managed it to work. Both use custom hardware for this in their racks in the data centers with their own software stack.

Still, i'm still not sure what the point was what you wanted to make? Only that your head is deep inside them, thats for sure.

Talking about console warring...while you dropping this:

Sony is absolutely irrelevant in IAAS, and we all know they switched PSN over to run on Azure. Your point is completely lost here.

cloud-service-models-iaas-paas-saas-stackscale.jpg

No shit, they are not the cloud provider dummy.

Last edited:
Agree 100%. People seem to think it is the future yet I see nothing that indicates that is the case. Anyone who gets in on it fails big time. These companies seem to think console (home) gaming will translate to gaming on the go wherever you are! Mobile gaming works for a reason, and mobile gaming DOESN'T work on consoles for a reason as well.

exactly. the only thing reality has actually shown us is that nobody really wants to play videogames that way yet we keep hearing about it over and over again. im not saying theres no chance ever cloud gaming becoming the main way we play games. we dont really know but if its going to happen it will be much further into the future than people may think. some users here act like its around the corner.

Last edited:

kingfey

Banned
i cant believe people actually think cloud gaming is the future. how long has ps now been around for? why have sony not backed it and put more focus into it if its the future? what happened to google with their cloud vision? i thought they had the "money and infrastructure". when is this future going to even start becoming a reality because time and time again we have seen that cloud gaming is a niche that will forever be the "future". i like the extra option but i dont see this reality where billions of people are playing games through the cloud on an app. why would mobile gamers who barely know how to even hold a controller properly all of a sudden be interested in big console type gaming? i see it in real life all the time. they simpy have no interest in them.
It is. The age of console hardware will come to end soon.

We can mock cloud gaming as much as we want to, but they come along way now. We had on-live before the psnow. Then got psnow, which Sony didn't give a shit. And now we have xcloud, which is basically the upgraded version of psnow and onlive, considering you can play it on browser, pc, phones and console.

10 years from now, and alot of people will play on cloud only.

Technology evolves, and so will cloud gaming

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
What good faith you are talking.
I simply made a point. You went south with it. Explained it to you. Yet, you still went and brought other stuff, that isn't not even part of the topic. You kept arguing about it.

And now you are trying to play the victim.

So now my question for you is, is Spencer responsible for MS 1st party sad state, or was it Don matrick with his TV vision?
Both whereas to you it's mattrick only.I'm not playing the victim, you just take your own fantasy as a ghospel.Go back to earth ,a studio manager is responsible for the state of his studios, how on earth is that hard to understand?But no to you honest goodguy Phil can't do anything wrong, no matter what or when.Face the reality and look at facts and roles in a company.

kingfey

Banned
Both whereas to you it's mattrick only.I'm not playing the victim, you just take your own fantasy as a ghospel.Go back to earth ,a studio manager is responsible for the state of his studios, how on earth is that hard to understand?But no to you honest goodguy Phil can't do anything wrong, no matter what or when.Face the reality and look at facts and roles in a company.
If you work for a company, you will do what the company vision is.
Don matrick focused on TV part, so the entire management had to do, what he wanted.
That is what you need to understand.
Employees cant go against that. Phil cant go around, and buy studios, if the main boss wish is, to focus solely on tv part.

Last edited:

PhaseJump

Banned
Whats different from what i am saying? They use rackspace, Azure and they have used AWS. We all know that, what the fuck is your point?

My point is very clear from the beginnen. People changed the narrative as if Xbox is the only one that can do it because their parant company has their own data centers. Sure but it’s completely bullshit to state that PS is not capable at all.

The only thing you are doing is crying about console warring, only because you have some sort of “opinion”. Don’t be such a pussy dude..

I'm not being a pussy. I'm trying to understand the retarded shit you're posting here, and whether it's baseless console warrior trash or not. I have that angle well sorted now.

You're telling me I'm a dummy and I don't know what a data center is, whereas I've been there and done that for big companies. All I get from you is paranoia about people changing narratives.

Sony is irrelevant in IAAS, they can compete providing services by renting infrastructure; they're doing it already. Water is wet. I never disagreed with you. What it boils down to is that people use that to imply Microsoft have an advantage, and clearly they do... and yet your response was to call Halo generic and Forza Horizon 5 as "nothing new", and write off Microsoft's acquisitions as being unfair accomplishments, because projects were in development already. What's the point of that?

Wait... let me guess... console wars.

tumblr_pabt6oQqOw1vaqoiqo1_400.gifv

Last edited:

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
If you work for a company, you will do what the company vision is.
Don matrick focused on TV part, so the entire management had to do, what he wanted.
That is what you need to understand.
Employees cant go against that. Phil cant go around, and buy studios, if the main boss wish is, to focus solely on tv part.
So his vision was to shit on studios ? Stop with the bulshit just admit you don't want to see the shit he did.You have literaly nothing beside "visions" which doesn't mean anything.You have nothing but that pathetic excuse that Matric was to blame for Phil doing a bad job.But if you want to keep that bulshit excuse OK be ready, I will have some question that will outline the flaws in your scenario.
First do you think that branches always ask money to corporate and don't work wihtin a set budget.
Second that budget needs to be negociated branch by branch, if a branch doesn't have any money it either doesn't need it or the manager did a bad pitch/presentation of the operating and or expanding cost, otherwise Phil's job.
Third do you honestly and naively believe that those "VISIONS" are the realisation of one person ?Not for a company like MS it's board meetings and talks with counselors, market consulting etc...Even by then it was not exactly just mattrick's vision.
Fourth do you really think everybody knew it was a bad decision and weren't full on with it?Because you claim that it wasn't Phil's vision but you can't know that.You will of course say that his vision now is different but you can't absolutely know what it was then.And even better you forgot that the backlash happenned and change all that "VISION" and probably the one of everyone involved in (Phil Spencer included).
Fifth "VISIONS" don't pay check and managing is way more than just considering the global direction of a branch it is concrete decisions done by?You guessed it branch manager.
And Sixth tell me how a vision came to closing studio, who closes them and why since under Mattrick they kept increasing the budget for games, how increasing the budget is a proof that Phil couldn't do anything with the studios Xbox had?
Now you will craft a little story based on nothing except your unconditionnal love for Phil.
So please next time just admit your bias and move on instead of wasting people's time to show you how weak, full of holes and franckly dumb your whole argumentation is.
Now have a great day or night wherever you live and please refrain from talking to me next time you feel the need to.I have no problem talking to fanboys of any side as long as they are coherent and have to capacity of at least listenning.You are not part of it and talking to you brings nothing but insults and moot points and those kind of individuals are only good for my ignore list.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
I'm not being a pussy. I'm trying to understand the retarded shit you're posting here, and whether it's baseless console warrior trash or not. I have that angle well sorted now.

You're telling me I'm a dummy and I don't know what a data center is, whereas I've been there and done that for big companies. All I get from you is paranoia about people changing narratives.

Sony is irrelevant in IAAS, they can compete providing services by renting infrastructure; they're doing it already. Water is wet. I never disagreed with you. What it boils down to is that people use that to imply Microsoft have an advantage, and clearly they do... and yet your response was to call Halo generic and Forza Horizon 5 as "nothing new", and write off Microsoft's acquisitions as being unfair accomplishments, because projects were in development already. What's the point of that?

Aah so i did hurt your feelings calling Halo generic looking, while yes it doesn't look spectacular at all imo. You have never been clear about what your point was anyway. Even this post of your is all over the place.

and write off Microsoft's acquisitions as being unfair accomplishments, because projects were in development already. What's the point of that?

Riky boy dropped dumb ass list with 2 games that are or multiplatform and the other one PS exclusive, What was his point anyway dropping that worthless list with a few games that been released in the last 2 years? Did he really wanted to compare that weak list with Sony? Was that his point?

People were crying about PS and timed-exclusives but at the same time...they completely forget a lot of the timed-exlusives Xbox has right now still to be released and some already have seen the light on the PS5, but all they do is closing their ears for that.

Timed-exclusive is not the same as buying a whole publisher and taking away the games completely from other platforms, and then say "but you can play them on mobile".....yeah fuck off with that bullshit excuse.

Just let's shake hands and not argue further:

Shake Hands Friends GIF by MASTERPIECE | PBS

Last edited:

kingfey

Banned
First do you think that branches always ask money to corporate and don't work wihtin a set budget.
Second that budget needs to be negociated branch by branch, if a branch doesn't have any money it either doesn't need it or the manager did a bad pitch/presentation of the operating and or expanding cost, otherwise Phil's job.
Third do you honestly and naively believe that those "VISIONS" are the realisation of one person ?Not for a company like MS it's board meetings and talks with counselors, market consulting etc...Even by then it was not exactly just mattrick's vision.
"CEOs are responsible for managing a company's overall operations. This may include delegating and directing agendas, driving profitability, managing company organizational structure, strategy, and communicating with the board."

Fourth do you really think everybody knew it was a bad decision and weren't full on with it?Because you claim that it wasn't Phil's vision but you can't know that.You will of course say that his vision now is different but you can't absolutely know what it was then.And even better you forgot that the backlash happenned and change all that "VISION" and probably the one of everyone involved in (Phil Spencer included).
Fifth "VISIONS" don't pay check and managing is way more than just considering the global direction of a branch it is concrete decisions done by?You guessed it branch manager.
And Sixth tell me how a vision came to closing studio, who closes them and why since under Mattrick they kept increasing the budget for games, how increasing the budget is a proof that Phil couldn't do anything with the studios Xbox had?
Now you will craft a little story based on nothing except your unconditionnal love for Phil.
Then how come Phil managed to convince MS corporates, to buy Minecraft studio? How did he manage to convince them, this gamepass?
Because that what Ceo bring. They bring vision for the company. They bring their ideas, and experience to the company.

How come Sony is investing on PC? because that is the vision of jim ryan.

That vision is what company strives for. We saw Xbox vision for TV in that xbox one E3.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
"CEOs are responsible for managing a company's overall operations. This may include delegating and directing agendas, driving profitability, managing company organizational structure, strategy, and communicating with the board."

Then how come Phil managed to convince MS corporates, to buy Minecraft studio? How did he manage to convince them, this gamepass?
Because that what Ceo bring. They bring vision for the company. They bring their ideas, and experience to the company.

How come Sony is investing on PC? because that is the vision of jim ryan.

That vision is what company strives for. We saw Xbox vision for TV in that xbox one E3.
Would have been a good point if he was ceo once again you either prove that you don't understand anything or that you just don't want to.This wsa my last interaction with you're not even worth the oxygen that was burn for your brain to be able to pull few sentences without imploding.

Warablo

He was the xbox studios manager since 2008...Meaning he was the dumbass that never invested nor bought studios...Do you really not think that it is the job of the Studio manager to manage studios ?
Its hard to manage your studios when you get no funding and they want you to focus on Kinect.

kingfey

Banned
Would have been a good point if he was ceo once again you either prove that you don't understand anything or that you just don't want to.This wsa my last interaction with you're not even worth the oxygen that was burn for your brain to be able to pull few sentences without imploding.
If he was ceo, we woudnt have been in this conversation, since xbox would be dead.

FranXico

- Sony buys exclusivity for Deathloop and Ghostwire Tokyo, two Bethesda games: no problem
- Sony tries to get exclusivity for Starfield, another Bethesda game: no problem

Somehow MS buying Bethesday is not considered a defensive move simply because MS spent more money?
No, because a bunch of future products from all those IPs and more have been permanently blocked from ever releasing on PS again. It's not about the amount of money involved, it's about the actual consequences to consumers.

It's as defensive as shooting someone in the face just because they were going to punch you.

Just to be clear: never being able to play a game on a platform is objectively worse than waiting a bit longer to play it on that platform.

Neither is OK, but one is objectively worse than the other.

Last edited:

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
Its hard to manage your studios when you get no funding and they want you to focus on Kinect.
Yet budget increased, is it harder to manage studios with more money?Like that billion dollar of investment going into games.That's wirthout counting the massive draught the xbox 360 had toward the end of its life.But I guess it is easier to put all the blame on mattrick forgetting they were all part of it.Of course Matrick screwed up but so did Phil.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
No, because a bunch of future products from all those IPs and more have been permanently blocked from ever releasing on PS again. It's not about the amount of money involved, it's about the actual consequences to consumers.

It's as defensive as shooting someone in the face just because they were going to punch you.

Just to be clear: never being able to play a game on a platform is objectively worse than waiting a bit longer to play it on that platform.

Neither is OK, but one is objectively worse than the other.
"It's only okay when we do it."

kyoji

That tongue cheek is something else.

If someone speaks to me like that, He will be able to sell me anything.
Red flags for me if you have to constantly mention someone youre supposively not in competition with to try and make your own position look better. Its just shows how insecure he really is, if youre confident in how youre approaching things you dont have to mention anyone else.

Last edited:

kingfey

Banned
Red flags for me if you have to constantly mention someone youre supposively not in competition with to try and make your own position look better. Its just shows how insecure he really is, if youre confident in how youre approaching things you dont have to mention anyone else.
That is not insecure. He is playing mind games.
He doesnt need to point at anyone. People will do that for him. If anyone accuses him, they wont have anything to backup their claim.

Its scummy way of talk.

Goalus

Read what he said in the quote before posting...

“I spend zero energy on ‘how do I make other gaming platforms smaller so that Xbox gets bigger’,” Spencer said.

“I’m more interested in the growing pie of gaming than I am our slice of the pie eating into someone else’s."

ben affleck snl GIF

Spencer spent 8,000,000,000 FUCKING DOLLARS to make other gaming platforms smaller so that Xbox got bigger.

Again just to make this clear for you

He spent EIGHT BILLION DOLLARS to make his slice of the pie eat into someone else’s.

Thus, he's a liar.
If an evil aggressor threatens your borders, you have to defend yourself. Even if you do not want to go to war. That's my point.

Did he really just mention Google again even after stadia? Mentioning Google and amazon, who have no presence in the industry instead of the 2 actual biggest players in the industry is an insult. Why does he keep doing that?
Google Play Store rakes in more revenue per year than PlayStation does.

M16

Did he really just mention Google again even after stadia? Mentioning Google and amazon, who have no presence in the industry instead of the 2 actual biggest players in the industry is an insult. Why does he keep doing that?
how stadia does now is irrelevant. cloud gaming is the future, maybe not so much at this instant, but it will be whether some people like it or not. its inevitable thats how main gaming will be consumed. google and amazon have a cloud.

how stadia does now is irrelevant. cloud gaming is the future, maybe not so much at this instant, but it will be whether some people like it or not. its inevitable thats how main gaming will be consumed. google and amazon have a cloud.

Like I said cloud gaming will be the future for eternity. I'll be on my death bed in 40 years and people will still be claiming its the future. Saying something is the future is lame because you just carry on saying it forever.

What I'm saying is, big corps will try but will fail. There's current evidence for it with Sony and Google already trying and failing. Where is your evidence from today that this will change anytime in the near future? Convince me.

Last edited:

Warablo

Like I said cloud gaming will be the future for eternity. I'll be on my death bed in 40 years and people will still be claiming its the future. Saying something is the future is lame because you just carry on saying it forever.

What I'm saying is, big corps will try but will fail. There's current evidence for it with Sony and Google already trying and failing. Where is your evidence from today that this will change anytime in the near future? Convince me.
I dont know about proof, but you best believe Xbox and Sony would rather reach 7 billion people rather than 100 million people.

M16

physical media is dying. gaming cloud tech is already pretty good and will improve. broadband tech is constantly improving. theres no impossible hurdle.
if cloud gaming was perfect today, almost everyone would have switched , except a tiny crowd of "but muh game preservation"

I dont know about proof, but you best believe Xbox and Sony would rather reach 7 billion people rather than 100 million people.

yeah and out of that 7 billion, about 250m-300m of them care for console gaming. the rest have no interest at all. how do sony and microsoft plan on getting that other 6.7 billion people to be interested all of sudden? the people who use cloud gaming will be the same people who game and own consoles today. 7 billion gamers! does anyone actually believe that!?

yeah and out of that 7 billion, about 250m-300m of them care for console gaming. the rest have no interest at all. how do sony and microsoft plan on getting that other 6.7 billion people to be interested all of sudden? the people who use cloud gaming will be the same people who game and own consoles today. 7 billion gamers! does anyone actually believe that!?
Does that 7 billion even take into account infants and fetuses? The 7 billion gamers quote is stupid as hell.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins

Lol. No company reaches 7 billion active customers. That's insane. Microsoft Windows has around 1.5 billion active users. What makes you think Microsoft and/Sony are going to appeal to almost every human on the planet??

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
They're letting themselves into the traps a lot technology companies fell into, in the past. Which is to overwhelmingly focus on the technology. In the end it's all about the games.

Until you solve the problems streaming has, in terms of actual gameplay, it's a pointless endeavour in my opinion. But let's wait to see if those 7 billion people can be reached. I'd like to see that.

Last edited:

Lupin25

That’s not certain, especially when we’re talking about gaming. It could gain traction, or it might never in the way we’d think. Not to mention the “average” user’s bandwidth they’d need for an optimal experience.

Gaming is not a passive form of media like television/movies and reaching $7 billion users won’t be as easy (which it’s not) as attempting to port Uncharted 4 and God of War to mobile.

Last edited:

kingfey

Banned
Does that 7 billion even take into account infants and fetuses? The 7 billion gamers quote is stupid as hell.
He got played hard there. The fact he typed 6.7b and didn't even bother to check it, is even more hilarious. He had to pause it at the end.

\
Someone spends far too much thinking about Phil Spencer. You should really just give it a rest.

Top Bottom