• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer promoted to CEO of MS Gaming

JLB

Banned

As part of Microsoft’s plan to acquire Activision Blizzard for $68.7 billion, the software giant has created a Microsoft Gaming division. Phil Spencer, former head of Xbox, will now lead this team as it focuses on gaming across Xbox, PC, mobile, and the cloud. It’s a big promotion for Spencer, described as the Xboss by Xbox fans.

Spencer originally took over as the head of Microsoft’s Xbox division in 2014, reporting to former Windows chief Terry Myerson. In a sign of how gaming has changed at Microsoft under Spencer, he quickly moved into Microsoft’s senior leadership team in 2017, reporting directly to Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella as the corporate vice president of gaming. After more than 30 years at the company, Spencer is now CEO of Microsoft Gaming, as it looks to tackle mobile gaming, the metaverse, and cloud gaming with more than 20 game studios.

Topher

Gold Member
Xbox is becoming a smaller piece of the Microsoft Gaming pie, it seems. Or is it the pie is just getting fucking huge? Yeah....big damn pie.

Donald Trump GIF

Last edited:

JLB

Banned
That remains to be seen I think? So far he's mostly been spending a lot of money (like billions and billions and billions), but Xbox is still far, far behind PlayStation. None of those investments have actually resulted in anything yet. But the expectation is that they will, of course.

Xbox was pretty much dead when Spencer took the lead. I recall reading something like selling 49k units in US just a couple of months after release.
The fact that is competing with Sony, and having, now by far, the biggest 1st party franchises compared to anyone out there, its pretty telling.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Xbox was pretty much dead when Spencer took the lead. I recall reading something like selling 49k units in US just a couple of months after release.
The fact that is competing with Sony, and having, now by far, the biggest 1st party franchises compared to anyone out there, its pretty telling.

After release of what? Xbox One?

Hugare

Must be hard having a job where you can buy your way to success with an infinite budget (/jk, but not really tho)

Dude seems to be a great guy that really cares games

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Yup, I think May 2014 or so Xbox sold that number.

Sure, things definitely got better after he took over the trainwreck Mattrick had caused. But they still failed to even approach catching up to Sony during last gen, and the same trend seems to largely have continued during the start of this gen.

This is, literally, 10 times a bigger deal that Bethesda, which was at the time 10 times bigger than any other gaming deal in history. I think you can figure.
Trust me, I get that. But everyone is blowing their shit at the moment. People are talking about selling their console, xyz company being doomed, etc.

Pretty sure most games will still remain multiplatform, it's just that Microsoft will now be taking in those extra millions of players money.

Banjo64

cumsessed
That remains to be seen I think? So far he's mostly been spending a lot of money (like billions and billions and billions), but Xbox is still far, far behind PlayStation. None of those investments have actually resulted in anything yet. But the expectation is that they will, of course.
No, he literally saved that brand. MS were about to pull the plug on Xbox until Phil had a meeting with Satya and persuaded him to go balls in and back Phil’s vision.

Sybrix

Those recent Xbox documentaries on YouTube really gave an insight into how MS feels about Xbox.

Its clear they made huge mistakes with Kinect and Xbox One and MS knows and admits it and now they want to focus on games games games as they said in the last section and these acquisitions are proof of this

Last edited:
Those were no buy today->profit tomorrow investments, those are long term. We will see in 10 years how the different strategies worked out for the big 3.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Isa

JLB

Banned
Trust me, I get that. But everyone is blowing their shit at the moment. People are talking about selling their console, xyz company being doomed, etc.

Pretty sure most games will still remain multiplatform, it's just that Microsoft will now be taking in those extra millions of players money.

Oh, of course. The impact of this is several years ahead at the bare minimum.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Is that seriously why there's a bunch of speculation, meltdown, random rumor threads have popped up in the last hour or so?

I understand the news threads, but all the other stuff?

The copium factory is running at full capacity right now. That's why you see the additional thread output. It was a much needed boost after a slow weekend.

Top Bottom