• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer: Project xCloud will come to Xbox Game Pass

ManaByte

Additionally, Microsoft confirmed that Project xCloud Xbox game streaming is coming to Xbox Game Pass, allowing Xbox Game Pass users to stream the library to any device. We have asked Microsoft to clarify whether Project xCloud will be included gratis as part of the regular subscription, or will be an added "tier," like Xbox Game Pass Ultimate.

Most people expected this, but it's good to see it confirmed. Netflix for games indeed.

Ok at some point we really need to ask what's the hook here. There has to be some ill intend behind so much value for this little money...

FrankCaron

Makes total sense and has tons of precedent in other media like movies and music, and even books like Kindle Unlimited. Significantly benefits the platform holder.

The long tail for boxed games revenue is very short (and used games makes it shorter still), whereas with a subscription service that arbitrates payment as residuals for consumption, some games could make incremental revenue for the rest of time*.

Recurring revenue is more attractive than burst revenue to businesses and shareholders. It makes things more predictable.

Last edited:

-Arcadia-

Banned
This will be really awesome for trying a game quickly.

When I’m in ‘shopping mode’, I’m not necessarily looking for a no-lag experience as much as I’m trying to make a value judgement on a game, and whether it’s worth my time.

Right now, there’s still a bit of a commit with 50 - 100 GB downloads, so this will reduce friction in that process even further.

Likewise, even if you are 100% sure you want to play the game, who doesn’t want to start immediately? Something like Xcloud streaming while the game is downloading in the background, would be lovely.

MarkMe2525

Gold Member
I HATE when people quickly do the console comparisons, but MS "HAD" to do this since PSNOW already has streaming in their service. This is a great example of why competition is good. It makes both companies try harder.
I agree, that would have been a hard sell for them.

Dory16

Banned
I HATE when people quickly do the console comparisons, but MS "HAD" to do this since PSNOW already has streaming in their service. This is a great example of why competition is good. It makes both companies try harder.
I disagree. PSNow doesn't let you stream your library to mobile devices including from your console . What MS is offereing here is several steps beyond PSNow. Never mind that first party games will be available to stream day one (logical result of combining xcloud and GP). If anything it's Sony that should feel challenged and step their game up and by quite a lot.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I disagree. PSNow doesn't let you stream your library to mobile devices including from your console . What MS is offereing here is several steps beyond PSNow. Never mind that first party games will be available to stream day one (logical result of combining xcloud and GP). If anything it's Sony that should feel challenged and step their game up and by quite a lot.

What is SharePlay? For free.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
*PlayStation 4 console and internet connection required for each Share Play participant.

Oh really it's free? How generous of Sony.
It doesn't even belong in the same conversation as XCloud.

You need to be more clear with the things you write.

Why would you own a library without owning the system in the first place? Stadia was a bad idea, FWIW.

Dory16

Banned
You need to be more clear with the things you write.

Why would you own a library without owning the system in the first place? Stadia was a bad idea, FWIW.
I made a post saying that Xcloud already has more features than PSNow even before being released. It doesn't get clearer than that. Your counterargument is to claim unclarity and to say that owning a console is a must if I own a library. Think again about what you wrote.

Hint: You entered a conversation on the topic of cloud gaming.

Hopefully it will be clear now.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I made a post saying that Xcloud already has more features than PSNow even before being released. It doesn't get clearer than that. Your counterargument is to claim unclarity and to say that owning a console is a must if I own a library. Think again about what you wrote.

Hint: You entered a conversation on the topic of cloud gaming.

Hopefully it will be clear now.

You just said it can play your library without owning a system. What library is that? Games you bought, or the ones on the paid service?

If the former, who would buy games without a system was my question. If the latter, they both do that.

Now if you are saying it can play the service games, and the digital ones you bought in the past, then that's neat I guess. But then if one owns the games, then the chanced are is that they own the console too, but I guess it cuts out turning on your box remotely.

Last edited:

Dory16

Banned
You just said it can play your library without owning a system. What library is that? Games you bought, or the ones on the paid service?

If the former, who would buy games without a system was my question. If the latter, they both do that.

Now if you are saying it can play the service games, and the digital ones you bought in the past, then that's neat I guess. But then if one owns the games, then the chanced are is that they own the console too, but I guess it cuts out turning on your box remotely.
You may own the box and be wanting to continue gaming while on the go. You may want to take a crack at that Halo Infinite boss in the bus because you didn't manage to get past him before bedtime on your console. It's one of the most obvious benefits of Xcloud that PSNow and Shareplay don't have. I'm surprised that it escaped you.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
You may own the box and be wanting to continue gaming while on the go. You may want to take a crack at that Halo Infinite boss in the bus because you didn't manage to get past him before bedtime on your console. It's one of the most obvious benefits of Xcloud that PSNow and Shareplay don't have. I'm surprised that it escaped you.

If you own the PS4 and have the game digital (or physically inserted), you can remote play on the go and start your PS4 and select a game and play it. I used to do it all the time at my office when my PS4 was home.

This just allows you to do it via cloud and not use your hardware at home. Same method, different execution. Something I am sure they will all adapt to if it catches on. Just how PSNow for two years now have allowed downloading of PS4 games locally and streaming, what MS is now will be combining as well with both services in one.

This is why competition can a lot of times be good.

Last edited:

Dory16

Banned
If you own the PS4 and have the game digital, you can remote play on the go and start your PS4 and select a game and play it. I used to do it all the time at my office when my PS4 was home.

This just allows you to do it via cloud and not use your hardware at home. Same method, different execution. Something I am sure they will all adapt to if it catches on.

No you cant use remote play on the go, your office is not on the go. Remote play only works on Mac and PC.
You are free to try on your mobile phone or tablet right now if you think it's competition for Xcloud.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
No you cant use remote play on the go, your office is not on the go. Remote play only works on Mac and PC.
You are free to try on your mobile phone or tablet right now if you think it's competition for Xcloud.

Uh, I still have my Vita. Which is basically a cell phone, and it works fine. I never use remote play anymore though since it's not a staple feature, and more novelty. A friend uses to use his Xperia all the time as well. I prefer local native play above all else.

Oh, and you can on iPhone as well.

And Xperia Android (or jailbreak apk)

Last edited:

leo-j

When your first party games are gears, halo, and forza. Versus Spider-Man, the last of us, uncharted, and the list goes on. You can say all our first party are there day 1. When your biggest game is gears 5, and it isn’t even a fourth as big as a game like Spider-Man or horizon zero dawn in numbers. You can argue for both sides. Ps now has a LOT of ps3 AAA blockbusters that just trumps the 360 library on game pass. There’s 900 games on there and counting.

Dory16

Banned
Uh, I still have my Vita. Which is basically a cell phone, and it works fine. I never use remote play anymore though since it's not a staple feature, and more novelty. A friend uses to use his Xperia all the time as well. I prefer local native play above all else.

Oh, and you can on iPhone as well.

And Xperia Android (or jailbreak apk)

S0U15TK.jpg

From what I see it doesn't work "on the go" like you said. That would explain why it is not listed as a competitor to Stadia like Xcloud is. It's a major difference.
If it does I stand corrected.

Dory16

Banned
When your first party games are gears, halo, and forza. Versus Spider-Man, the last of us, uncharted, and the list goes on. You can say all our first party are there day 1. When your biggest game is gears 5, and it isn’t even a fourth as big as a game like Spider-Man or horizon zero dawn in numbers. You can argue for both sides. Ps now has a LOT of ps3 AAA blockbusters that just trumps the 360 library on game pass. There’s 900 games on there and counting.

I think most people would agree that game pass is the best value in gaming right now.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
S0U15TK.jpg

From what I see it doesn't work "on the go" like you said. That would explain why it is not listed as a competitor to Stadia like Xcloud is. It's a major difference.
If it does I stand corrected.

That is odd. I am able to use my PS4 and launch games on my Vita at my office 4 miles from my home. It literally looks like a portable PS4 in your hands at that point. And if someone was home and and the TV on, they would see me scrolling and using it like a ghost is in the house.

And Stadia is garbage. We can all at least agree on that one.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
Now also an xCloud subscription attached to it... Their vision of play anywhere is really taking shape, hopefully they'll be rewarded for pushing these consumer friendly services.

12Dannu123

Those first party aren't going to be on the PS Now service for the long term. So, your argument is moot. Consumers don't want to spend money just to play old classic games. They want to play brand new and recently released games. No service available only relies entirely on old content.

That's why Game Pass is rapidly growing, because people like Day 1 content and having recently released content like RDR2, Witcher's 3 etc.

Last edited:

Dory16

Banned
That is odd. I am able to use my PS4 and launch games on my Vita at my office 4 miles from my home. It literally looks like a portable PS4 in your hands at that point. And if someone was home and and the TV on, they would see me scrolling and using it like a ghost is in the house.

And Stadia is garbage. We can all at least agree on that one.
It looks like the Sony official page on remote play is not up to date. The devices don't need to be connected to the same WIFI, they just both need WIFI. 4G wouldn't work. Also you can only play the games that you own (it literally turns your console on and streams the output over wifi). Xcloud will let you stream anything on game pass.
So yes, remote play has cloud gaming like features but not quite in the same league as its competitors.
Stadia is shit right now yes but if you only want cloud gaming it's one of your few options.

leo-j

Those first party aren't going to be on the PS Now service for the long term. So, your argument is moot. Consumers don't want to spend money just to play old classic games. They want to play brand new and recently released games. No service available only relies entirely on old content.
if you are selling a service for $1 or $5 a month. And put all your games on there. How is that going to be profitable considering that game needs to sell 3 million copies at $59.9? Specifically if it’s a AAA ip. It works now because the games aren’t selling like they did on the 360.
Yes it’s a great value for the consumer. But a game with a high budget making its money back on game pass?

leo-j

It looks like the Sony official page on remote play is not up to date. The devices don't need to be connected to the same WIFI, they just both need WIFI. 4G wouldn't work. Also you can only play the games that you own (it literally turns your console on and streams the output over wifi). Xcloud will let you stream anything on game pass.
So yes, remote play has cloud gaming like features but not quite in the same league as its competitors.
Stadia is shit right now yes but if you only want cloud gaming it's one of your few options.
Why are we descriditing a service that has been out of half a decade? Xcloud and it’s promises are beautiful. But the service isn’t out.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

PSNow is literally GamePass and steaming combined into one and has been for two years. (you can download games locally or stream them). You also don’t need a Plus sub, since they include multiplayer in it as well.

It’s literally been like this around the same time GamePass launched. Sony added the option to download locally like GamePass or stream as it has always been.

This is all splitting hairs anyhow at this point.

Last edited:

12Dannu123

if you are selling a service for $1 or $5 a month. And put all your games on there. How is that going to be profitable considering that game needs to sell 3 million copies at $59.9? Specifically if it’s a AAA ip. It works now because the games aren’t selling like they did on the 360.
Yes it’s a great value for the consumer. But a game with a high budget making its money back on game pass?

Because Microsoft takes the burden, but since they are a large enough company, they can simply absorb the losses for short and medium term. That's why MS is spending like crazy on the Xbox division, XGP in particular.

The result of MS putting their 1st party games Day 1 on the service has resulted in 10 Million and rapidly growing subscribers. If they didn't put their content day 1 on GP, the growth rate would be much lower and they will fall into the struggles of EA and Sony.

While Sony and EA make more money on their service with 1 and 5 million respectively. Money made on 1 and 5 Million subs is irrelevant to developers, since it doesn't benefit them. That's why indies and third parties are flocking to Game Pass. Because the higher userbase brings in more exposure to games and the opportunity to sell DLC etc.

While this type of economics is not mainstream in the gaming industry it's certainly common in the Software, Entertainment and Fitness industries etc.

Last edited:

MarkMe2525

Gold Member
PSNow is literally GamePass and steaming combined into one and has been for two years. (you can download games locally or stream them). You also don’t need a Plus sub, since they include multiplayer in it as well.

It’s literally been like this around the same time GamePass launches. Sony added the option to download locally like GamePass or stream as it has always been.

This is all splitting hairs anyhow at this point.
You are right. I think he is arguing that it's not as good because xcloud is more flexible. So I guess y'all are both right he is just debating something else.

Traffic at work has slowed considerably and I have been able to play no man's sky on my work iPad and personal phone (moto g stylus) at work seamlessly using the Xbox game streaming app. It's been awesome to have.

P.S. This has been taking place over my Verizon LTE connection in the deep south where we typically have less network investments from big isp's for what it's worth.

Last edited:
Damn Microsoft is killing it they see where the money is at and plus they have Azure which Sony will use for their PSN and PS Now Server the rich get richer wile fanboys be fighting over which console sold more the Tech company see the bigger picture.

Vawn

Banned

Are you saying you can't use RemotePlay on your phone? Strange, because I've been doing exactly that for years.

Vawn

Banned
Damn Microsoft is killing it they see where the money is at and plus they have Azure which Sony will use for their PSN and PS Now Server the rich get richer wile fanboys be fighting over which console sold more the Tech company see the bigger picture.

The real fanboys care about how much money the parent company is worth - not which sells more consoles or has the better games. Right?

Vawn

Banned
fanboys are fanboys no matter what dick measuring contest you want to watch them have.

Yeah, but I'll take The Patriots fan bragging about Super Bowl wins over the Dallas Cowboys fan bragging about how much their organization and owner are worth because their team hasn't produced hardly anything worthwhile in the last 25 years.

Top Bottom