• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer on exclusivity, monetisation and game development

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Microsoft wants all of their inner circles having access to Gamepass, they lost Halo Infinite to covid and they haven't been the same, they want Gamepass, Microsoft Xbox Live, Kinect everything that isn't Masterchief right on your forehead
Mic%2BShot.gif

Aladin

Could we see microsoft walking back on what they said about honoring times exclusivity of titles for ps5 ? They might have said that to be "legally" right.

Mega_Deth

I want to believe Spencer, i really do. I just find him so hard to trust. When he drops shit like this as well, even if it's an innocent mistake, it just jars me mentally.

He did the same shit with the Rise of the Tomb Raider 'exclusivity' by saying "I didn't buy the IP in perpetuity" bullshit trying to be vague about it being a timed exclusive when he knew damn well what the journalist was asking.

It's the same here. Sure he can't talk to Todd and Robert about the future of Zenimax currently but he knows for sure what Microsoft plan to do with the IP in regards to releasing those games on other platforms. Microsoft own Zenimax, there is essentially nothing to discuss with Todd and Robert in terms of exclusivity, it is not their call anymore.

wolffy71

Banned
Would be a hilarious self own to buy the Skyrim company for billions so you can sell less copies of the follow up.

Tell me, Xbox fans, why you think they would turn away tens of millions of additional sales. Y’all really think they want to cut that Skyrim number in half? Just throw away tens of millions of guaranteed sales? LOL Why? Think the stock holders want that to happen?
You literally just described an exclusive and simultaneously asked why platforms have them.

To drive platform adoption rates. Your welcome.

Last edited:
So, I firmly believe that the Zenimax games either will or won't make their way to the Playstation. There is a lot of evidence that they may or may not do it. I think it's a very solid bet that maybe they will be there or maybe they will not. Microsoft may choose to do it or they may not, and there is a 100% guarantee that they either will or they won't. If they do it, then they do it. If they don't, then they don't. I personally would put money that they might do it or they might not do it. It's the safest bet to choose that Microsoft probably will or will not release these future games on Playstation.

Good talk.

Last edited:

wolffy71

Banned
Yet you could have said that about Minecraft series and been wrong. Do you have a link to anywhere of them saying none of those titles will be on PS5 or Switch 2 etc?
How could we have said that about minecraft when it was already on other platforms?

Im not gonna go find a link right now but they have basically said as much. Im paraphrasing but they said rgey dont see MS games going to Nintendo as "sustainable" without some form of gold and gamepass being on the platform.

Secondly whether you believe Spencer is communicating with Bethesda or not, the fact is he cant publicly at least, signal otherwise. That could be why they havent flat out said.

He could have easily said, they've always been multiplat and i dont know why that would change. But he didn't. Should tell you something.

Edgelord79

Gold Member
They have 100 million plus consoles out in the wild with another 100 million coming soon. Apples and prunes comparison
No it really isn't. Your can't fault one company for doing something that has been deemed acceptable by the industry. Even celebrated by some.

The difference here is simple. It wasn't Sony that made the purchase and locked Zenimax to their console and it's on a larger scale.

Sony will be fine regardless. In fact, I'm pretty sure as we speak they are locking up deals to deprive other consoles of games or exclusive content so their huge user base can enjoy them.

FrankWza

No it really isn't. Your can't fault one company for doing something that has been deemed acceptable by the industry. Even celebrated by some.

The difference here is simple. It wasn't Sony that made the purchase and locked Zenimax to their console and it's on a larger scale.

Sony will be fine regardless. In fact, I'm pretty sure as we speak they are locking up deals to deprive other consoles of games or exclusive content so their huge user base can enjoy them.

im Not faulting anyone. You asked if Sony had made this deal would anyone question exclusivity. I pointed out the huge discrepancy in install base. That’s why the journalist asked the question about needing to keep these titles multiplat to recoup the purchase price and he had to stretch his answer by reaching to xcloud and pc to broaden his user base. Sony would say “ we just sold over a hundred mil and are about to sell another hundred mil of a new console”

EDMIX

How could we have said that about minecraft when it was already on other platforms?

How could we say that about Fallout and Elder Scrolls when its was already on other platforms?

He could have easily said, they've always been multiplat and i dont know why that would change. But he didn't. Should tell you something.

Not really. He still wants Series X to move massive units this fall, thus they won't say anything until they are ready to actually reveal those titles. They will make the sales for XB when they can as no reason to waste a sale telling everyone what game is going to be on what. He also could have easily fucking said NO GAMES ARE COMING TO PS and Nintendo to shift even MORE XB units... the fact that he isn't sounds like its because they are treating this like Minecraft deal.

When you spend billions on a IP like this, all we can go on is what we've known them to do in the past.....well.....we've known MS to simply make those games on many platforms to make that money up. The fact that Minecraft cost less to buy and less to maintain and less to make new titles vs this deal and they are on many systems.....as in...literally this year, 2020 Dungeons is coming to Nintendo, Playstation etc very much shows MS in general with deals like this is not looking to limit how much money they can make.

If they did that with 2.5 billion, they will very much likely do that with a 7.5 billion purchase with the top IP. Like you said, they are already on "other platforms" :pie_raybans:

octiny

Banned
This argument still going on? Yikes.

Reminds me of all the crying & denial when Trump won the election.

KXTVxg3.gif

Edgelord79

Gold Member
im Not faulting anyone. You asked if Sony had made this deal would anyone question exclusivity. I pointed out the huge discrepancy in install base. That’s why the journalist asked the question about needing to keep these titles multiplat to recoup the purchase price and he had to stretch his answer by reaching to xcloud and pc to broaden his user base. Sony would say “ we just sold over a hundred mil and are about to sell another hundred mil of a new console”
Oh I see. Yes in that case you are correct. Sorry about that.

My comment was more tongue and cheek and not directly to do with the article itself.

wolffy71

Banned
How could we say that about Fallout and Elder Scrolls when its was already on other platforms?

Not really. He still wants Series X to move massive units this fall, thus they won't say anything until they are ready to actually reveal those titles. They will make the sales for XB when they can as no reason to waste a sale telling everyone what game is going to be on what. He also could have easily fucking said NO GAMES ARE COMING TO PS and Nintendo to shift even MORE XB units... the fact that he isn't sounds like its because they are treating this like Minecraft deal.

When you spend billions on a IP like this, all we can go on is what we've known them to do in the past.....well.....we've known MS to simply make those games on many platforms to make that money up. The fact that Minecraft cost less to buy and less to maintain and less to make new titles vs this deal and they are on many systems.....as in...literally this year, 2020 Dungeons is coming to Nintendo, Playstation etc very much shows MS in general with deals like this is not looking to limit how much money they can make.

If they did that with 2.5 billion, they will very much likely do that with a 7.5 billion purchase with the top IP. Like you said, they are already on "other platforms" :pie_raybans:
Im not sure if ur being intentionally stupid or just trying to be funny. When i say minecraft was on other platforms it was in reference to a game that already existed. If your arguing that old Bethesda games will remain multi plat then i agree.

Maybe try to make sense next time instead of being a smart ass.

EDMIX

Im not sure if ur being intentionally stupid or just trying to be funny. When i say minecraft was on other platforms it was in reference to a game that already existed. If your arguing that old Bethesda games will remain multi plat then i agree.

Maybe try to make sense next time instead of being a smart ass.

Why personal attacks? Not that serious...

Minecraft existed on many platforms before, its NEW GAMES exist on MANY PLATFORMS NOW...

Its not that much of a stretch to really assume the same wouldn't happen with Bethesda as this purchase not only cost more money, the development itself is more expensive to maintain and to continue to release games vs the Minecraft IP.

Why personal attacks? Not that serious...

Minecraft existed on many platforms before, its NEW GAMES exist on MANY PLATFORMS NOW...

Its not that much of a stretch to really assume the same wouldn't happen with Bethesda as this purchase not only cost more money, the development itself is more expensive to maintain and to continue to release games vs the Minecraft IP.

Can you make a non minecraft example? A Halo or Forza game on PlayStation would make your point perfectly.

anothertech

Doom, Skyrim, Elder scrolls, Quake, etc are massive IPs. It doesn’t matter who created them, Microsoft/Xbox own them when this buyout is complete. They’re then Xbox IPs. You can cry about it all you want, but they’re then Xbox IPs and won’t be coming to your beloved PlayStation.
Actually no matter how much logic you throw at this, you don't know what systems they are coming to in the next 2 to 3 years.

only one thing is sure at this point, If they decide to rake in the cash by releasing these games on all systems like normal, I feel like you are going to have a few very bad days lol.

I'll continue playing them on pc as usual.

MrFunSocks

Banned
Actually no matter how much logic you throw at this, you don't know what systems they are coming to in the next 2 to 3 years.

only one thing is sure at this point, If they decide to rake in the cash by releasing these games on all systems like normal, I feel like you are going to have a few very bad days lol.

I'll continue playing them on pc as usual.
I literally could not care less what consoles they release on. I’m not like you, I’m not emotionally invested in a piece of plastic and metal.

I’m just telling you what will happen and why. If you seriously believe that MS paid $7.5bil for a game publisher just to keep publishing games for their competitors then you’re legitimately dumb, no other way to put it.

Like I said in other posts, Microsoft don’t care about getting revenue from sales in other consoles. If they did they would be a full third party publisher, they’d have released all their first party games on the significantly higher selling PlayStation 4. They didn’t though, did they. Why do you think that is?

xbox and PlayStation revenue is chump change to Microsoft. You don’t seem to realise how big MS is compared to Sony.

and yes, I’m sure you’ll be playing them on your imaginary super powered gaming PC lol. You wouldn’t be having this big of a meltdown if you were going to do that.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I’m just telling you what will happen and why. If you seriously believe that MS paid $7.5bil for a game publisher just to keep publishing games for their competitors then you’re legitimately dumb, no other way to put it.

Considering they paid $2.5b for Mojang in 2014 and publish on everything to this day, and given that by buying a multi-platform publisher they took onboard all existing business deals and responsibilities to other platform holders (including a couple of PS5 exclusives), I'd say you are the dumb one.

Considering they paid $2.5b for Mojang in 2014 and publish on everything to this day, and given that by buying a multi-platform publisher they took onboard all existing business deals and responsibilities to other platform holders (including a couple of PS5 exclusives), I'd say you are the dumb one.
Yeah they paid 2.5B for Mojang and they didn't remove the game from people that already bought Minecraft before the acquisition. MS is going third party for sure!

MrFunSocks

Banned
Minecraft is the exception, not the rule. It's literally the biggest game of all time. MS will honour existing contracts, but they will not be releasing the next Doom on the PS5, just like they won't be releasing the next Forza on the PS5. The quicker you accept this the better.

Is that why you have almost 2000 console warrior posts in just 3 months?
I work on a computer for 8+ hours a day and love gaming, so I make a lot of posts. Just because your post history is overwhelmingly Pro-Sony and Anti-MS doesn't make mine console warrior posts.

Bethesda ip are not Xbox ip.
Correct.......until the buyout is complete. Then they are Xbox IP.

Last edited:

quest

Not Banned from OT
Because playstation owners never played halo gears or forza and don't care.

Tes doom and fallout on the other hand would sell gangbusters as always.

That argument is moot.

Bethesda ip are not Xbox ip.
Sold so well the owners wanted out with no takers for what 2 years lol. Yes Microsoft bought a money sink publisher to help Sony totally lol. If that was the case they could of let EA buy them. This was to secure "exclusives" you all bitch about. As they say sometime becarefull what you wish for it might come true.

anothertech

I literally could not care less what consoles they release on. I’m not like you, I’m not emotionally invested in a piece of plastic and metal.
Riiiiiiiiiight...

As your post history suggests. lolol

Also minecraft says hi. And Phil's latest interview where he basically said you're wrong about everything.

Also I was lucky to get an rtx 3080 for my rig. Enjoy your launch exclusives on the SeX without cyberpunk tho...

MrFunSocks

Banned
*Looks at his gaming collection*

*Finds zero Bethesda games*

*Laughs at your post*
2 seconds using the search function later....

Yakuza 4
Yakuza Of The End
The Last Guardian
Journey
Ni No Kuni (PS3)
Ico/SotC HD collection
Uncharted 3
Elder Scrolls V:Skyrim
Dark Souls
Armored Core 5
Valkyria Chronicles 3
God Eater Burst

Also in case they get a western release:
Xenoblade
The Last Story
Night of the Sacrifice

:messenger_tears_of_joy:

And Phil's latest interview where he basically said you're wrong about everything.

Also I was lucky to get an rtx 3080 for my rig. Enjoy your launch exclusives on the SeX without cyberpunk tho...
A few things...

1. Where did Phil confirm that they'll be releasing all Zenimax games on Playstation in the future? Surely this would be a bigger topic on here if it were true. You should start the thread!

2. What does cyberpunk have to do with anything exactly?

To the ignore list you go :)

Last edited:

EDMIX

Minecraft is the exception, not the rule.

Except you don't really know that. For all we know, with spending anything past a few billion on multiplatform games, this might be what they always do.

Where did Phil confirm that they'll be releasing all Zenimax games on Playstation in the future?

Where did Phil confirm that they'll be ignoring all platforms that are not MS in the future with those IP?

So don't know what to tell you. The speculation many are having on this is 100% fair and valid. It makes complete sense because the deal you are talking about not only cost more fucking money, but the games themselves cost more to develop then Minecraft.

So agree that Minecraft is a exception to such things as it cost them 2.5 billion and it was a multiplatform series........as to why it makes sense that fucking spending 3x MORE on MORE expensive development on multiplatform games has many expecting similar results.

So yes, when they spend 2.5 billion on a multiplatform IP, we can expect such a thing as its the exception. Oh but when they spend more its not?

The quicker you accept this the better

Q quest "Yes Microsoft bought a money sink publisher to help Sony totally lol" wouldn't be the first time lolz They have NEW Minecraft games on android, IOS, Nintendo, Playstation etc

Last edited:

MrFunSocks

Banned
Except you don't really know that. For all we know, with spending anything past a few billion on multiplatform games, this might be what they always do.

Where did Phil confirm that they'll be ignoring all platforms that are not MS in the future with those IP?

So don't know what to tell you. The speculation many are having on this is 100% fair and valid. It makes complete sense because the deal you are talking about not only cost more fucking money, but the games themselves cost more to develop then Minecraft.

So agree that Minecraft is a exception to such things as it cost them 2.5 billion and it was a multiplatform series........as to why it makes sense that fucking spending 3x MORE on MORE expensive development on multiplatform games has many expecting similar results.

So yes, when they spend 2.5 billion on a multiplatform IP, we can expect such a thing as its the exception. Oh but when they spend more its not?

The quicker you accept this the better

Q quest "Yes Microsoft bought a money sink publisher to help Sony totally lol" wouldn't be the first time lolz They have NEW Minecraft games on android, IOS, Nintendo, Playstation etc
Microsoft bought Zenimax for the development studios as much, if not more, than the existing games.

They need studios to make games to keep people subscribed to game pass. They got 8 studios from Zenimax, with multiple teams in at least a few of them you'd assume. Those teams are going to be pumping out exclusive content for game pass as that is MS's path going forward. Releasing games on the competitors console literally takes value away from their own console. It would do the opposite of what they just spent $7.5bil to do lol.

Again - if gaming revenue was all they cared about, why aren't they just releasing all first party games on all consoles going forwards? Why don't they just ditch the actual hardware and go third party publisher? That would get them the most game sale revenue possible.

It makes no sense, but you Sony diehards have convinced yourself that Microsoft are here to look out for your best interests as a playstation owner for some reason. Insanity.

EDMIX

if gaming revenue was all they cared about, why aren't they just releasing all first party games on all consoles going forwards?

Because those games were not multiplatform and they didn't spend several billion buying them.

It makes no sense, but you Sony diehards have convinced yourself that Microsoft are here to look out for your best interests as a playstation owner for some reason. Insanity.

Not really bud. The fucking fact that new Minecraft games are coming to Android, IOS, Nintendo and Playstation very much show they have an interest in making a return. No one is saying Sony or Nintendo are going to do this because they simply don't have a history of every doing something like this.

MS does....

Thats why you are mad.

Cause you can't really ignore that this is happening literally right now, this year...

Soooooooo if MS ONLY fucking cared about getting people to go to their ecosystem and not about making money on as many platforms and devices, that shouldn't be on PS or Switch...yet....it is.

Kind of hard to make an arguement that they won't do something that they are literally already doing after making a purchase of a publisher of multiplatform games for a few billion.

All we have is what they've done after making such purchases. You only want to keep the conversation about Halo or Sony to ignore that MS has done this before and very well might do it again. Sony and Nintendo have no ode to go 3rd party, thus don't make statements about wanting their games on all devices and don't really make purchases of huge 3rd party IP to then put on rival systems.

Might have to deal with that this is the direction MS is head man.

sublimit

Banned

A few things...

1. Where did Phil confirm that they'll be releasing all Zenimax games on Playstation in the future? Surely this would be a bigger topic on here if it were true. You should start the thread!

You are such a fucking idiot and a douchebag.

The quote was about soundtracks you idiot and you took it out of context. And yes i've said many times that i LOVE the soundtracks of both Oblivion and Skyrim. But you do realize that you don't have to own the games in order to appreciate the soundtracks right?
Also i've said MANY times that i have tried both Oblivion and Skyrim (i had rented them both) and i found their gameplay absolute garbage.
Do you want me to find my posts to ridicule you even more?

So i appreciate your effort to spin my posts but you have failed miserably. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

MrFunSocks

Banned
You are such a fuscking idiot and a douchebag.

The quote was about soundtracks. And yes i've said many times that i LOVE the soundtracks of both Oblivion and Skyrim. But you do realize that you don't have to own the games in order to appreciate the soundtracks right?
Also i've said many times that i have tried both Oblivion and Skyrim (i had rented them both) and i found their gameplay absolute garbage.

So i appreciate your effort to spin my posts but you have failed miserably. :messenger_tears_of_joy:
The quote was not about soundtracks lol. The thread is called
What are your most anticipated titles for the rest of 2011?

I don't think "Ni No Kuni (PS3)" is a soundtrack lol. You were really chomping at the bit for a soundtrack for Armored Core 5 and Dark Souls were you? lol. Funny that you didn't mention soundtrack once :messenger_confused:

anothertech

A few things...

Awwwe. This is fun tho.

Don't take me so seriously haha. This is the best part about glorious console launches. At least for me.

Honestly, it would be much more boring around here without your input.

Edit: I see you're being dogpiled on a bit which is no fun. I'll lay off for a while. If I pushed too hard I apologize.

Last edited:

sublimit

Banned
The quote was not about soundtracks lol. The thread is called
What are your most anticipated titles for the rest of 2011?

I don't think "Ni No Kuni (PS3)" is a soundtrack lol. You were really chomping at the bit for a soundtrack for Armored Core 5 and Dark Souls were you? lol. Funny that you didn't mention soundtrack once :messenger_confused:
I thought this was from a recent thread that was about soundtracks.

My sincere apologies for that.

But my post still stands 100%.

The first trailer of Skyrim due to its music (it had zero gameplay) had really pumped me and made me excited for the game but the more i watched the gameplay the more i started to realize that i wouldn't like the game.

So i ended up renting the game to try it (just like i had done with Oblivion) and i absolutely hated it. I have said many times years ago that i considered both Oblivion's as well as Skyrim's gameplay trash.

If you want i can find those posts.

Last edited:

sublimit

Banned
I really wonder though MrFunSocks MrFunSocks how come you went 9 years ago to find a post when Skyrim hadn't even come out when the first results when you search "Skyrim" and "sublimit" are these:
Dragon's Dogma pisses all over both Skyrim's and Witcher 3's combat with its hands tied behind its back and while still making omelete for breakfast.

I haven't played Fallout New Vegas but the Witcher 3 absolutely destroys Skyrim and then mops the floor with its corpse.

Witcher 3 with its expansions is a one in a lifetime experience and a case to be studied. I have serious doubts that even CDPR will ever manage to top it.

Skyrim doesn't deserve to be mentioned in this thread. Especially when we talk in terms of combat.

Dragon's Dogma and the Souls series have incredibly satisfying and deep combat systems that are easy to learn but hard to master.

Skyrim's combat is trash.Period.

So yeah i'm starting to believe that you intentionally ignored those posts and tried to find one to fit your shitty fanboy agenda from before the game even had come out but as you see you failed miserably.

Piku_Ringo

Banned
You are such a fucking idiot and a douchebag.

The quote was about soundtracks you idiot and you took it out of context. And yes i've said many times that i LOVE the soundtracks of both Oblivion and Skyrim. But you do realize that you don't have to own the games in order to appreciate the soundtracks right?
Also i've said MANY times that i have tried both Oblivion and Skyrim (i had rented them both) and i found their gameplay absolute garbage.
Do you want me to find my posts to ridicule you even more?

Let's keep it civil, brothers. There are more important things to shit on. Like that 2077 delay.

MrFunSocks

Banned
I really wonder though MrFunSocks MrFunSocks how come you went 9 years ago to find a post when Skyrim hadn't even come out when the first results when you search "Skyrim" and "sublimit" are these:

So yeah i'm starting to believe that you intentionally ignored those posts and tried to find one to fit your shitty fanboy agenda from before the game even had come out but as you see you failed miserably.
I didn't search for skyrim.....

lol

You said one of your most anticipated games of 2011 was Skyrim, but then you didn't even buy it? Seems weird. Anyway let's not derail this topic even further.

Last edited:
Top Bottom