• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer on Bethesda IP exclusivity | Yahoo Finance

sircaw

Banned
When your argument fails, throw a few insults, point out the window, say "Watch out!" and run away. Classic.

what, that's what you did, hence why i told you to read the post above, remember.

Be better ffs man.

and if those are insults, oh boy, you have had a quiet life lol.

Last edited:

Redlight

Again posting quickly without reading... I am neither arguing that exclusives are bad nor that buying Bethesda and making their games exclusives in the future is evil.

Just getting some chuckles chasing what is the current position for those fans that were calling those games exclusivity deals anti consumer and against what gaming is all about and that fill their mouths with “we do not care where people game as long as they play these games” and now are gleefully gloating over their “enemies” about games they were going to get but are not anymore :D.

Can you seriously post that had Zenimax been bought by Sony and al games made exclusive to PS5 and PC that the hot Xbox fans would have not jumped back on the drums of “exclusivity is anti consumer, you are taking multiplatform series games away from people”?!? :rolleyes:...
I'm just pointing out that your hypocrisy detector only seems to work on everything other than your fellow Playstations fans.

You could be in here, equally, trying to shame the Sony fans who were fine with purchased exclusivity before the Zenimax announcement. Strangely, they seem to get a free pass. I wonder why that would be?

If the situation was reversed you would not be in here accusing all Sony fans of being hypocritical, would you?

You're living in a glass house built on top of a high horse. It's a risky position.

sircaw

Banned
I'm just pointing out that your hypocrisy detector only seems to work on everything other than your fellow Playstations fans.

You could be in here, equally, trying to shame the Sony fans who were fine with purchased exclusivity before the Zenimax announcement. Strangely, they seem to get a free pass. I wonder why that would be?

If the situation was reversed you would not be in here accusing all Sony fans of being hypocritical, would you?

You're living in a glass house built on top of a high horse. It's a risky position.

Damn dude, you really need to start paying more attention to people's posts and not just go over them in 5 seconds.

No wonder your always struggling to get someones points.

Redlight

what, that's what you did, hence why i told you to read the post above, remember.

Be better ffs man.

and if those are insults, oh boy, you have had a quiet life lol.
I didn't answer your post? Address your points? Maybe you missed it (odd, given that you quoted it)...

I've read Phil's quotes, just like you, however I've also managed to comprehend them.

In that interview he is talking about cross-generational exclusives. Games only available on Series X at launch and not available to Xbox One owners. When he talks about playing on 'any device' he's talking about Gamepass on PC/Xbox as well as Xcloud on tablets, TVs and mobile devices.

He made those statements some time back, did you believe that 'Forza', 'Halo Infinite' etc were coming to PS5 as a result? No, you didn't.

Your sudden conviction that MS is going third-party on, potentially, their biggest titles is pure damage control. PS5 not having the next Elder Scrolls or Fallout or Doom is a big deal and this is your coping strategy.

Zenimax games are not coming to PS5.

Your response?

Face the facts sunshine, i know its hard for your ego to accept it but its the way forward.

You can't counter what I said, so you threw a quick insult (you're right, it was pretty weak and anaemic) and scurried off.

Maybe you should swap your avatar for one of these...

EiHultV.jpg

sircaw

Banned
we go na have to put sircaw sircaw on suicide watch when fallout 5 is MS exclusive and he realizes that PR talk is not always what they seem at face value

I will be absolutely fine, Microsoft the trillion-dollar company does not affect me like it seems to do you. This is important to you, i get that, these are the kind of things you wage your life on.

The eastwoods, the sleep doctors, thegreatwhitesharks of the world, this stuff is important to you,

I don't know why lol

sircaw

Banned
I didn't answer your post? Address your points? Maybe you missed it (odd, given that you quoted it)...

Your response?

You can't counter what I said, so you threw a quick insult (you're right, it was pretty weak and anaemic) and scurried off.

Maybe you should swap your avatar for one of these...

EiHultV.jpg

Your not doing too well, we both know it.

Remember to read people's posts. take your time, don't rage, be better than dealer and co.

Redlight

I will be absolutely fine, Microsoft the trillion-dollar company does not affect me like it seems to do you. This is important to you, i get that, these are the kind of things you wage your life on.

The eastwoods, the sleep doctors, thegreatwhitesharks of the world, this stuff is important to you,

I don't know why lol
:messenger_tears_of_joy:

How many posts have you made in this thread Mr 'it's not important to me'?

sircaw

Banned
:messenger_tears_of_joy:

How many posts have you made in this thread Mr 'it's not important to me'?

if you had read the first one and understood my points instead of coming out all angry and attacking me like you did.

I mean you must have felt silly when i said Sony would have to go the same way and i called Microsoft a juggernaut, and instead of taking your medicine like you should of, your now trying to worm your way out in another direction.

#Just stop, please.

I get your too biased to have a conversation about something, any discussion that does not paint Microsoft in 100% god rays is a bad thing, i get you.

This is not our first rodeo remember, you have avoided posts and many points in the past.

So just stop with the blatant bullshit.

Dibils2k

I don't know why lol
hmmm shall we look at how many posts i have in this thread compared to you? 😬

sircaw

Banned
hmmm shall we look at how many posts i have in this thread compared to you? 😬

What does that matter when you make some random post about me being on suicide watch.?

its a retarded thing to say when i am actively in this thread talking,

If your going to make a point then make a point about the conversation, not just some gibberish remark that is worth nothing to anyone but your own fragile persona.

Last edited:

Three

I believe he was talking about moneyhating 3rd party projects there. That basically brings nothing to the end-users of the platform doing it, it only takes away from the opposing user base. That has nothing to do with making your first-party software available on other platforms. If you believe that strongly in that, why don't you cry me a river about TLoU not being on Xbox. :messenger_beaming:
Can you tell me what the difference between buying a 3rd party developer and taking away from the opposing user base is and funding a 3rd party developer with them remaining independent is?

Last edited:

Redlight

Your not doing too well, we both know it.

Remember to read people's posts. take your time, don't rage, be better than dealer and co.
I'm not raging, does it appear that way? Just tackling silly arguments with facts. It's fun.

To me it seems as though you're just making baseless statements as if they were fact, then when challenged you dissemble, distract and insult.

You have no solid reason to claim that Zenimax games will be on PS5, other than that you want them to be for Sony's sake. You haven't made a single coherent argument in a thread that's had some good ones from both sides.

The sad thing is, no matter how clearly your contentions are countered, or pointed out to be ill-founded, you seem unwilling to absorb new information and incorporate it into your replies.

When the Zenimax games are only Xbox/PC you won't learn anything, or even have the good grace to admit you were wrong. You'll just ignore it and pretend you never expected anything else.

I know you'll feel compelled to reply to this with something you consider pithy and intelligent but we'll both know the truth. I may even let you have the last word if you don't say anything too ridiculous. Fingers crossed.

Mmnow

Can you tell me what the difference between buying a 3rd party developer and taking away from the opposing user base is and funding a 3rd party developer with them remaining independent is?
Thats a really carefully worded loaded question there. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

sircaw

Banned
I'm not raging, does it appear that way? Just tackling silly arguments with facts. It's fun.

To me it seems as though you're just making baseless statements as if they were fact, then when challenged you dissemble, distract and insult.

You have no solid reason to claim that Zenimax games will be on PS5, other than that you want them to be for Sony's sake. You haven't made a single coherent argument in a thread that's had some good ones from both sides.

The sad thing is, no matter how clearly your contentions are countered, or pointed out to be ill-founded, you seem unwilling to absorb new information and incorporate it into your replies.

When the Zenimax games are only Xbox/PC you won't learn anything, or even have the good grace to admit you were wrong. You'll just ignore it and pretend you never expected anything else.

I know you'll feel compelled to reply to this with something you consider pithy and intelligent but we'll both know the truth. I may even let you have the last word if you don't say anything too ridiculous. Fingers crossed.

Oh god, this is so retarded, of course, these are my own personal viewpoints of how i think this will go, this is like 4-5 years in the future, do you have a crystal ball too? how else do you think a discussion should take place on how the future of Microsofts gaming will be. What a silly thing to say

As for the bolded part, if i was wrong i would say i was, that's not how i operate in matters if i lose a bet i say sorry, accept it and move on. What a bullshit remark you just made there, you know fuck all about me.

This just shows you how closed your mind is new things.

~Your right, we are done trying to have a conversation.

As soon as i saw your avatar i said to myself don't bother having a conversation with him, i wish i had listened to myself.

Have a good day.
You may have the last reply.

Dibils2k

What does that matter when you make some random post about me being on suicide watch.?

its a retarded thing to say when i am actively in this thread talking,

If your going to make a point then make a point about the conversation, not just some gibberish remark that is worth nothing to anyone but your own fragile persona.
my point was that you keep posting that Spencer quote but i just dont think its as clear cut as you think it is, i feel like we gonna be here in 2-3 years with a new fallout (or another Bethesda) game announced exclusively for MS and you gonna be here still quoting that Spencer comment saying "but look he said this! was he lying? there is no way he can make a game exclusive after saying this!". we'll see i just think its wishful thinking on your part

and the suicide watch part was just adding some spice to the post 😁

sircaw

Banned
my point was that you keep posting that Spencer quote but i just dont think its as clear cut as you think it is, i feel like we gonna be here in 2-3 years with a new fallout (or another Bethesda) game announced exclusively for MS and you gonna be here still quoting that Spencer comment saying "but look he said this! was he lying? there is no way he can make a game exclusive after saying this!". we'll see i just think its wishful thinking on your part

and the suicide watch part was just adding some spice to the post 😁

You have added nothing to the conversation, be gone troll

Next time add a point to the topic before trying to derail it.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Please relax on the future games will suck on rental model. They will be just fine. There is developers' pride still.

When you convert to GPU, and browse through the games, you will love for how 'little' you need to pay to access them. You will be outta disk space soon!
Yes, you can still buy the games so that they will stay in your library and not get rotated out.

Believe in GPU and Phil. :messenger_peace:

Just upset I accepted the two free months with the first two 12 months cards and now I f’ed myself from entering the third 12 months cards as it goes over the 36 months limit (26 + 12 :/...)... :pie_anguish:. Does anyone want a 12 months Xbox LIVE Gold code at a discount ;)?

Last edited:

MH3M3D

I don't get how this is an issue for PS5 owners. Just pay 15 bucks for gamepass ultimate for the months Bethesda games come out and stream them on xcloud on any weak computer. If you have a gaming PC, then its even easier. Only if you have like <35MBit internet and no gaming PC with moderate specs, you'll be missing out.

On the other hand if you don't have a PS5, you'll be waiting and hoping for PS-exclusives that may or may not be ported over to PC.

Sony will sell many consoles, Microsoft will get its many Game pass subscribers and all gamers will be happy.

longdi

Banned
Just upset I accepted the two free months with the first two 12 months cards and now I f’ed myself from entering the third 12 months cards as it goes over the 36 months limit (26 + 12 :/...)... :pie_anguish:. Does anyone want a 12 months Xbox LIVE Gold code at a discount ;)?

A long shot, but wait for your current GPU to expire in 26 months time, and re-do the hack, pay 1 full month of GPU to convert that 12months Xbl gold to 12 months GPU... :messenger_bicep:

I mean you can still free-grade to Win10 today. This is big test to trust in Phil though!

Flintty

A lot of people on GAF always said they wouldn’t buy an Xbox because it ‘has no games’. Now whether you agree with the acquisition or not, putting moral judgements aside, Xbox now does have games you might not/likely will not be able to play on Playstation.

That is it. Done. No amount of snark, salt or bitching is going to change that. You can either pay into the ecosystem or just carry on and not play those games. Absolutely no point getting raised blood pressure or being toxic over it. It’s a bad look. Enjoy 😀

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
A long shot, but wait for your current GPU to expire in 26 months time, and re-do the hack, pay 1 full month of GPU to convert that 12months Xbl gold to 12 months GPU... :messenger_bicep:

I mean you can still free-grade to Win10 today. This is big test to trust in Phil though!

I think the £1 hack is a one time deal :/...

Orky

Banned
By that notion, their 20 other studios would also start releasing on PS5? What about Obsidian?

Why would MS hold Bethesda to a different standard?
Let people dream. the longer they hope, the bigger the disappointment will be.

A lot of people on GAF always said they wouldn’t buy an Xbox because it ‘has no games’. Now whether you agree with the acquisition or not, putting moral judgements aside, Xbox now does have games you might not/likely will not be able to play on Playstation.

That is it. Done. No amount of snark, salt or bitching is going to change that. You can either pay into the ecosystem or just carry on and not play those games. Absolutely no point getting raised blood pressure or being toxic over it. It’s a bad look. Enjoy 😀

don’t forget that it’s more powerful, too.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius

Ended up cancelling the recurring subscription for GPU, tried redeeming the 12 months LIVE card which went through as 4 months of GPU extra. Not a great deal but I did not want the hassle in 26 months.

First card I had gotten at £44.99 and the other two today for £40 each... not as an amazing discount as some others got, but still 30 months of GPU for that means £4.2 a month instead of £10.99 a month (and that means for 30 months I do not need to care about price increases).

Flintty

don’t forget that it’s more powerful, too.

Yeah that was always part of the waterfall argument:

-Xbox is underpowered
(X1X comeS and then XSX takes power crown)
- Xbox has no games
(Acquisitions galore)
-Microsoft are evil? Phil is a liar?

The hatred is so engrained in some of these people that they never intended on buying an Xbox and never will, and will continue to justify that decision with whatever snark and vitriol they can think of, instead of just owning that decision in an honest fashion. I’ll set the example here:

I’ve been day one Xbox from the OG days. I used to play on my brothers PS1 and loved Silent Hill. I don’t like Dual Shock controllers though and would rather stick with Xbox. My friends are there and I love Xbox ‘classic’ first party. If Silent Hill remake came to PS5 exclusive, I’d likely buy one. If not, I’m happy with my Xbox and have no intention of buying a PS5, but you guys crack on and enjoy!

Last edited:

longdi

Banned
I think the £1 hack is a one time deal :/...
Oh dear, you went ahead with the 4 month conversion.

Yes the 1£ is one off, but the conversion from gold to gpu is still possible. You have to let your gpu subs lapse, meaning your MS account has no more subs, no recurring payment, as if you are new to the game. Redeem your 12 xblg as xblg, and then subs to gpu. You have to pay full priced for that 1month, but it will convert your existing 12mth xblg to 12 mth gpu.

At least this still possible today

So "moneyhatting" a 3rd party into a first one is now different? The situation is completely different from TLoU, but why would I care if that game came out on Xbox or not? First one was ok. Second one I didn't bother with.

Moneyhatting is mostly about buying up a game to keep it off a competitors' platform. And that's pretty toxic. It was when Microsoft did that with Tomb Raider and it is when Sony does it with 3rd party titles (FFXVI?).
Other cases, like when you're actually being part of the reason why the title gets released, ala Street Fighter V, through funding it, it's definitely not some "bad moneyhatting" (though Xbox fans claimed that was bull, despite no clear evidence of it). If you purchase a studio, that's also not "bad moneyhatting", because you've bought the studio and there's no reasonable expectation that you release your own titles on a competitor's platform.

That's at least my principle and what makes me react about "moneyhatting". Others may have a different opinion, of course.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Oh dear, you went ahead with the 4 month conversion.

Yes the 1£ is one off, but the conversion from gold to gpu is still possible. You have to let your gpu subs lapse, meaning your MS account has no more subs, no recurring payment, as if you are new to the game. Redeem your 12 xblg as xblg, and then subs to gpu. You have to pay full priced for that 1month, but it will convert your existing 12mth xblg to 12 mth gpu.

At least this still possible today

Yeah, I did go ahead with that... wasteful use of disposable income sure, but if in 26 months the Xbox LIVE 12 months code became invalid or if they took the GPU £1 hack away... still 30 months instead of 36 overall (the two extra months I accepted that created this mess... clicked on Ok too quickly or too greedily).

At this point getting a new card for £40 and converting it later for £11 brings a bit of savings, but not a huge huge deal (£51 instead of £120 and that is reliant on them not offering a 12 months intro deal later for like £60... and they could remove this loophole in the next two years).

Half the shit that comes out of his mouth is absolutely nothing. Every AAA will be on all platforms because it is what the board desires to make a profit after paying 7.5Bil dollars.
Basically "on a case by case basis" means AAA gets to be on PS5, filler garbage like the new Arkane AA online GaaS game "Exclusive to Xbox"

This doesn't make any sense. Those games will be exclusive.

In terms of other platforms we'll take it on a case by case basis

A polite "fuck off" to Playstation owners :messenger_sunglasses:

I believe that acquired Bethesda makes alot of sense when you want to go full multiplatform and be the biggest and most profitable game publisher.

I won't be surprised if Microsoft is negotiating with Sony to put some sort of Game Pass on Playstation.

Are you really pulling the MS saved them card? MS have produced nothing for 7years , they had no choice but to buy a big publisher. I hope you remember this when Amazon starts sucking up the gaming industry .
Bethesda, Obsidian, and inXile were all in bad financial situations and Microsoft did basically save them.

Microsoft needs more studios, and the acquired companies needed help... pretty even trade if you ask me.

ManaByte

Gold Member
I believe that acquired Bethesda makes alot of sense when you want to go full multiplatform and be the biggest and most profitable game publisher.

I won't be surprised if Microsoft is negotiating with Sony to put some sort of Game Pass on Playstation.

Remember when Sony wouldn't allow Minecraft with cross play on the PS4 to "protect the children" (when in reality they didn't want PS users signing in with a MS account to the game)

FALCON_KICK

It is over 350W Jim!
Wont the new consoles need comparatively higher wattage due to additional components attached through USB 3.0 like VR, external HDD, WiFi 6 and mainly they need to also account for external SSD and also additional cooling for that external SSD.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Gold Member
If you purchase a studio, that's also not "bad moneyhatting", because you've bought the studio and there's no reasonable expectation that you release your own titles on a competitor's platform.

That's a pretty rock solid position, I think.

If a video games console manufacturer buys an entire publisher or developer then they have the right to make sure every game that comes out from that publisher or developer is exclusive to their console. That's how the market works.

There's absolutely no concrete evidence that's what Microsoft will do with Bethesda's games though. It's a perfectly reasonable thing for them to do, if they feel that's the best way to maximise profits. And it's just as reasonable for them to publish Bethesda games to Playstation if that's what makes the most financial sense.

Threads like these are so weird and sad because people start making these bold claims about what definitely will or won't happen in the future, as if they have some insider knowledge of how the company in question intends to operate. I very much doubt Microsoft have decided how they are going to publish Bethesda games in the future yet, because they are not idiots or raging fanboys.

They could keep everything exclusive - in which case I'll buy an Xbox to play the games that I can't elsewhere. Or they could choose to maximise sales by also publishing to Ps5, in which case I'll just buy them on that.

Bottom line, anyone claiming that one thing or another will definitely happen is playing childish console war games, and need to give their heads a wobble.

Hostile_18

Banned
That's a pretty rock solid position, I think.

If a video games console manufacturer buys an entire publisher or developer then they have the right to make sure every game that comes out from that publisher or developer is exclusive to their console. That's how the market works.

There's absolutely no concrete evidence that's what Microsoft will do with Bethesda's games though. It's a perfectly reasonable thing for them to do, if they feel that's the best way to maximise profits. And it's just as reasonable for them to publish Bethesda games to Playstation if that's what makes the most financial sense.

Threads like these are so weird and sad because people start making these bold claims about what definitely will or won't happen in the future, as if they have some insider knowledge of how the company in question intends to operate. I very much doubt Microsoft have decided how they are going to publish Bethesda games in the future yet, because they are not idiots or raging fanboys.

They could keep everything exclusive - in which case I'll buy an Xbox to play the games that I can't elsewhere. Or they could choose to maximise sales by also publishing to Ps5, in which case I'll just buy them on that.

Bottom line, anyone claiming that one thing or another will definitely happen is playing childish console war games, and need to give their heads a wobble.

My thoughts exactly. No one knows what will happen from what has been revealed/said so far. Theres multiple ways MS could go from here and still make the most of their accusation. Unfortunately people either side just don't want to hear it. What they believe is right and any other analysis is wrong.

Until MS confirms it both by language and actions I'll just follow with interest.

sandkiller

I’m assuming that this list is new Series X owners, staring down the barrel of their release line up for the next year or two, and comparing it to the PS5’s vibrant exclusives list just for the next year alone? I mean really, if Bethesda comes through in 2, 3, or 4 years from now, then fine, trade in your PS5 spaceship for a Series X in 2024. But I’m not sure what kind of masochist would pick up a Series X over a PS5 now, because that Xbox release schedule is currently looking like a tumbleweed street in an Old West town.

Actually, that's me. Someone who never owned an XBox before.

Past generation I had Wii+PS3 and now Switch+PS4 with a non-gaming laptop.

Considering i own and play quite a lot of games owned/published by Zenimax, I'm now seriously considering an Xbox system down the line.

My decision to buy a PS5 within the first year hasn't changed yet (I'm waiting for the hands-on reviews, specially on form-factor, noise, UI). However, I've come to accept that I might need to join the XBox ecosystem in the next few years to play some of the franchises I enjoy.
How will I do that? I don't know yet... could be a gaming PC, an XBoX console or eventually just the controller paired to a future Gamepass/Xcloud app on the Smart TV.

tl;dr Acceptance is simply embracing the potential lack of certain franchises I love in my Platform of choice.

Last edited:

Brofist

I love how exclusives were the #1 most important thing until Xbox gobbled a bunch up. Now it's bad for gamers and the industry?

Notice how it's still only bad one way though. If it's MS they are leaving money on the table. If it's Sony they are strengthening their platform. You never see these people saying that Sony exclusives should be on other platforms.

Top Bottom