• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer "Just being honest" Claims Advantage over PS5

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
It's kinda shocking that the Hellblade 2 demo from late last year is still far and away the most "next gen" thing shown. Being honest, the lack of comparable footage, or even more of the same after 7+ months makes me doubt how legitimate it was.
Even Alex from DF is still questioning the legitimacy of that Hellblade 2 demo being in-engine graphics

Hunnybun

Anyone can play that game geordie. As I said, third-party games will tell the tale.

JZXv0nz.jpg

I wouldn't get your hopes up. The gap is pretty small, much smaller than last gen.

Obviously we don't know yet if or how the difference will manifest, but in terms of resolution it's something like 2160p vs 1980p.

Literally imperceptible.

The chances are the best graphics will be on PS5 simply because their first party developers are such absolute powerhouses when it comes to pushing graphics tech.

Ascend

What's the point in increasing resolution if the assets are shit? PS3 games were all higher res than PS2 games and the assets were all better. Same with PS3 to PS4.
The assets are fine, honestly. It's the art style or lighting that are making everything look flat and plastic.
Look at the screenshots posted by geordiemp.
The rocks on the top images, the ones of HI look better, despite being further away.

The second image of the brute is not exactly a fair comparison. One is a full body shot and the other is a close up of the face. But even then, you can tell that the resolution of the face textures are better in HI. It simply is not animated. But during actual gameplay, no one would actually see that face. Someone slowed the game down to catch that face. It's not a game breaker, although it would be nice if it was better.

The bottom images, literally everything looks better in HI. The textures on the brute outfit are higher res, the gun looks better, the grass looks better.... Look at the arms of the grunts in both pictures. Look at the rocks on the right which are in basically the same position HI is clearly way superior in every way.

So... It's mostly about the art style I think. For some reason despite it being technically superior, it is not aesthetically more pleasing.

Last edited:

yurinka

Is Phil still "feeling good"? :pie_thinking:
Yes, meet his dog:

Z3uVEfP.jpg

You're going to be disappointed when you see the 1st DF comparison video. The multiplatform games will look closer than ever
Yep, the % difference in maximum theorical horsepower is smaller than we saw in the previous gen, both between base consoles and their mid gen refresh versions. And this time the less powerful console is better in some key areas like the GPU speed benefiting some areas that don't require all CUs, etc.

In addition to this, I assume this gen we'll also see some important improvements in upscaling, AA, etc. that will make more difficult to spot the differences in native resolution, etc.

So yes, I expect this gen to have more similar results than before, specially for most players, who will play on a 1080p tv during at least the first half of the generation.

Last edited:

Psykodad

Banned
What's the point in increasing resolution if the assets are shit? PS3 games were all higher res than PS2 games and the assets were all better. Same with PS3 to PS4.
Isn't that one of the points some of us have been trying to make.

Resolution and fps don't mean shit if assets are subpar quality.
It's gonna be a rough gen.

pasterpl

What they showed doesn't give much confidence. And they needed an amazing show. People know what quality software they're getting with the PS5

i understand your point of view and can see why people are negative about halo ( I think that the whole show was 5-6/10 and halo was actually the low point of the presentation), but this is your point of view, in my personal case, I know that I am getting xbsex at launch and then ps5 somewhere around mid gen when there is enough Sony exclusives to justify the purchase as I do every generation, for me Sony event didn’t convince to buy ps5 first or earlier than usual (just presenting my point of view)

dont forget that for many, the game pass value might be too much to resist, and I am starting to look at that ms show as game Pass push and not the xbsex.

Zoro7

Banned
Have you watched the 4k/60 feed? It looks good, or as good as cross gen games get, with the base requirements of that an Xbox One, and 60fps. :lollipop_anxious_sweat:

Sheesh the over reactions...
It looks ok at best, almost like someones skinned a layer of detail off. For the MOST POWERFUL CONSOLE OF ALL TIME ok isn't good enough.
I get its cross gen but that's Microsofts decision. Don't hype up your crappy conference for months if this is all you got.

Dlacy13g

This all will be another xbox one x vs ps4 pro type situation with the multiplatform games for next gen. And likely it may be even closer in output than currently seen.

The big hurdle for Microsoft is yes they have a bunch of studios now but, the output of those studios has to jump up IF they want to match what Sony does. However, I dont see that road map by MS. I dont think they are truly going for match what Sony does now.. What I see is something different for MS...more Netflix in approach vs HBO. So a large menu of content but not necessarily a lot of big budget menu content games. There will be a few bigger productions but not everything will be that. They want to constantly feed you with content over time and it's about getting you to access the content not just about selling you something to access the content.

longdi

Banned
It looks ok at best, almost like someones skinned a layer of detail off. For the MOST POWERFUL CONSOLE OF ALL TIME ok isn't good enough.
I get its cross gen but that's Microsofts decision. Don't hype up your crappy conference for months if this is all you got.

It is still an impressive 60fps large scale world with dynamic AI built on the shitty Xbox one. Let's not give inflated expectations when there shouldn't be any in first place.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
i understand your point of view and can see why people are negative about halo ( I think that the whole show was 5-6/10 and halo was actually the low point of the presentation), but this is your point of view, in my personal case, I know that I am getting xbsex at launch and then ps5 somewhere around mid gen when there is enough Sony exclusives to justify the purchase as I do every generation, for me Sony event didn’t convince to buy ps5 first or earlier than usual (just presenting my point of view)

dont forget that for many, the game pass value might be too much to resist, and I am starting to look at that ms show as game Pass push and not the xbsex.
Gamepass has had 10 million subscribers for a while now, I think it's has people constantly leaving while new people sign up

That doesn't show a lot of growth IMO

gow3isben

Yeah probably, I think people forget we are the minority that think we have so much sway over the masses. The vast majority of gamers are not on forums or even reddit for that matter. Youtube/friends/Twitch/marketing are way more important than NeoGAF/resetera.
25% of PS game show viewers watched this. And who else but us nerds generate buzz from these shows? The negative press is out in spades and will leak out to the casual.

Max_Po

Banned
I’m glad you’re so easily impressed. I really am.

Studios have moved on to body related location specific damage and these fan boys are impressed with Halo 1 level animation.

The brutes from Halo 3 look far better, sure Halo 3 was lower resolution but the character details were much better.

Redlight

I wouldn't get your hopes up. The gap is pretty small, much smaller than last gen.

Obviously we don't know yet if or how the difference will manifest, but in terms of resolution it's something like 2160p vs 1980p.

Literally imperceptible.

The chances are the best graphics will be on PS5 simply because their first party developers are such absolute powerhouses when it comes to pushing graphics tech.

Sorry man, but you're 4 months out from release and all you got is "3rd party will show the gap" and "gamepass value".

Look, MS will be fine, but at the moment they've stumbled. No use ignoring what's going on.

I'm sure that a lot of third party titles will run better on the XSX, but we haven't actually seen any evidence of that yet.

You're going to be disappointed when you see the 1st DF comparison video. The multiplatform games will look closer than ever

The response to the Xbox showcase has been predictably over the top, which I find just a little irritating, but all I said is that 'third-party games (available on both machines simultaneously) will tell the tale'.

Don't assume I'll be disappointed. I'll make my purchase based on which machine performs better with third-party games because that is the vast majority of games.

If it's a clear win for Xbox or Sony, then that's where my money will go. If the difference is imperceptible then added features like Gamepass will come into play. Gamepass is ridiculous value. Denying that is, frankly, a new level of self-delusion.

Last edited:

Redlight

MMM, Dont be so sure, why was everything running on a pC ?

The leaked MS documents that apparently mentioned the lockart, also meantioned performance issues with the dev kits due to the hardware decompression / SSD according to B3D mod.

xwOyrDj.png

Something is not quite right when a few months before launch you still have to use a PC to show Xbox games.

PR is blaming COVID but dont buy it. MS are almost hiding the XSX playing games at the moment.....why ?
I thought you were opposed to spreading FUD?

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
I thought you were opposed to spreading FUD?

I'd be inclined to agree, but why are we still yet to see anything running on Series X hardware?

Even if we ignore the B3D stuff which is not possible to be verified that question still remains.

geordiemp

I thought you were opposed to FUD?

This is an actual leaked document and the mod at B3D stated it, and it seems quite a few have read it. Its not new.

It was on a number of sites, one below, the document has been since removed off twitter.

Most of the press took from the document the lockart info, not the dev kit issue - I am sure its fixed already, but it is a reasonable explanation for PC only at teh show at this time.

Why do you think mS has not showed XSX running games at the mS show ?

TJC

The response to the Xbox showcase has been predictably over the top, which I find just a little irritating, but all I said is that 'third-party games (available on both machines simultaneously) will tell the tale'.

Don't assume I'll be disappointed. I'll make my purchase based on which machine performs better with third-party games because that is the vast majority of games.

If it's a clear win for Xbox or Sony, then that's where my money will go. If the difference is imperceptible then added features like Gamepass will come into play. Gamepass is ridiculous value. Denying that is, frankly, a new level of self-delusion.
I'm definitely buying PS5 Sony sold me with the games they have put it out this gen. Xbox however need to do more to get me man. Third party being better means jack shit as developers never put the effort in to make the very small power advantages worth it. Might pick up Xcloud in a few years to play Avoved if it's higher than 1080p by then and with no issues.

Redlight

This is an actual leaked document and the mod at B3D stated it, and it seems quite a few have read it. Its not new.

It was on a number of sites, one below, the document has been since removed off twitter.

Most of the press took from the document the lockart info, not the dev kit issue - I am sure its fixed already, but it is a reasonable explanation for PC only at teh show at this time.

Why do you think mS has not showed XSX running games at the mS show ?
I have no idea. Neither do you. Under these circumstances you're spreading FUD, especially if you're sure 'it's fixed already'.

geordiemp

I have no idea. Neither do you. Under these circumstances you're spreading FUD, especially if you're sure 'it's fixed already'.

Its dev kit software revsion so no big deal.

It just one possible better explanation as to why games were on PC, or does covid work better ?

CrysisFreak

Banned
I swear some people need to download Unreal Engine 4, place some megascans in the scene and render it with their GTX960 in slow mo then speed it up to be 120fps to realise that "in-engine" does not mean
SHIT
so stop bringing up Hellblade, sorry not sorry

Had to be said

XsX launch is looking a little shit right now. Just being honest here.
X1 was better prepared against ps4 compared to xsx vs ps5. They have single handedly created the worst launch line up in history of gaming and eventhen they haven't shown a single game running on this machine .something is not right .

splattered

X1 was better prepared against ps4 compared to xsx vs ps5. They have single handedly created the worst launch line up in history of gaming and eventhen they haven't shown a single game running on this machine .something is not right .

What is being perceived as a negative now will be a positive in a year from now.. obviously Microsoft started their next gen plans later than Sony and so ended up with stronger hardware because of it.

That also means they are at least a bit behind Sony in games but they will catch up and eventually surpass them.

Entroyp

While throwing shade at Sony and bragging about having the greatest launch in the history of the universe.

They have no integrity because they know their fans eat that shit up and ask for seconds.

Top Bottom