• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer "Just being honest" Claims Advantage over PS5

MrFunSocks

Banned
"Sony Two" in action. The belief that Sony NEED to copy every single mistake Microsoft makes.

Sony was even specifically excluding any game that wasn't able to run on a PS5, before the showcase started. Running on PS5 was specifically highlighted before the showcase began.

Still, as i said before, your disbelief is more unintended flattery for what Sony is showing. If you can't believe what they are showing actually run on a PS5, that is more proof that it is next-gen worthy.
You're completely misunderstanding.

I'm not saying what Sony showed is too good to run on a PS5. I'm saying that saying that its running on a PS5 means nothing because they're just videos that have been recorded from their dev machines. Dev machines target the console hardware, so it being captured on the PC/dev machine is irrelevant.

People are trying to concern troll by saying that Halo was running on PC, as if the hardware isn't already out in the hands of third party developers but is smoke and mirrors and not ready for release. It's absolutely insane. Developers have the Series X. It's real and it's fine. It is an APU and some RAM and a HDD. People are doing their hardest to make out like the actual console is in development hell.

Where these demos run is 100% irrelevant.

Dr Bass

You're completely misunderstanding.

I'm not saying what Sony showed is too good to run on a PS5. I'm saying that saying that its running on a PS5 means nothing because they're just videos that have been recorded from their dev machines. Dev machines target the console hardware, so it being captured on the PC/dev machine is irrelevant.

People are trying to concern troll by saying that Halo was running on PC, as if the hardware isn't already out in the hands of third party developers but is smoke and mirrors and not ready for release. It's absolutely insane. Developers have the Series X. It's real and it's fine. It is an APU and some RAM and a HDD. People are doing their hardest to make out like the actual console is in development hell.

Where these demos run is 100% irrelevant.

Sony didn't say they were running on dev kits. I think they have said in the past when demos WERE running on dev kits too.

Where the demos run is 100% relevant.

It shows how prepared the company is.

Sony didn't say they were running on dev kits. I think they have said in the past when demos WERE running on dev kits too.

Screen_Shot_2020_06_12_at_11.02.28_AM.png

Just dropping this here. Interpret what you want from this.

MrFunSocks

Banned

No it doesn't lol. All games are made on PC. Every single one. Unless you think that those Series X exclusives that are launching with the console in 3 months time have been made without even having a Series X devkit, they've got one and it's fine.

Where a demo runs is 100% irrelevant. Do you understand that those trailers Sony showed are not running in real time? They are pre-recorded. The devs literally have zero reason or need to record them from a retail PS5. They make the trailer on the PC that they make the game on, and they record it from there.

Again - Uncharted 4 60fps reveal trailer. Had that same message of "the following footage was captured from Playstation 4 game console" before it, yet Naughty Dog gave a SIGGRAPH talk saying that the trailer was made using a render farm method using effects that their engine literally does not support in real time.

Naughty Dog themselves:
1.jpg

What Sony put before the trailer:

Last edited:

Redlight

Yeah that was true of this gen too... Lmfao.

The gap was even bigger this gen and absolutely no one gave a flying turd over it. So much so that you even finished 3rd behind the 720p machine lol. The goddamn Switch messed up the XoX. No one cared that Forza looked amazing because people wanted new game experiences. I mean how many more clues does MS need?

You guys really don't get it do you? Even after the great 360 gen it's like...do we need to make more IP? Do we need to buy more studios? Uh... Is it about the games?

I bought a 360 for Dead Rising. It took one game for me to think...yep...I'm playing that now...

You really think the avg Joe is thinking... I'll get 10fps more on XsX playing AC no. 23. He's thinking I can play AC too and I get to play GoW, HZD, Tlou, Uncharted, days gone, bugmuthafkingsnax.

LMFAO
I think this was in English so I'll just reply to what I understood of it.

Most games are third-party games so I don't put all that much stock in 'exclusives'.

The Series X, on paper is the most powerful console. Third-party head to head comparisons will determine if that is a significant gap in real-world situations.

If the Series X is the best place to play third-party games, then that's where my money will go.

What the 'avg Joe' thinks is of absolutely no concern to me.

Grinchy

Banned
Screen_Shot_2020_06_12_at_11.02.28_AM.png

Just dropping this here. Interpret what you want from this.
The response is already written for them - "The PS5 was used as a capture card to simply capture CGI videos and they wrote it this way to trick everyone!"

Which is funny because some of the same people will also say the games looked cross-gen and unimpressive. So they're both CGI videos impossible to be run on a new system and are at the same time unimpressive cross-gen efforts. You can't make this stuff up :messenger_tears_of_joy:

It'll be interesting to see if CP 2077 is 4K/60 on XSX and only 1440/60 on PS5 with same textures.
Curious whats the percentage diff per pixel between 1440p and 2160p? Now tell me what the absolute best case scenario if favor for xsx GPU is gap wise?

Ill help you out, you would need more than 3x the current gap between ps5 and xsx gpu for this situation to be a reality.

Last edited:

MrFunSocks

Banned
They are captured running in realtime. Very different from being pre rendered. They are indicative of the final quality and not an estimate.
You literally have no way of knowing this lol. Again, the Uncharted 4 reveal trailer was "captured running on PLAYSTATION 4" yet was not captured at real time and was not even "in engine".

I didn't say those PS5 trailers were pre-rendered, I said pre-recorded. They weren't playing live on a PS5. There was no-one controlling them. They were not captured on retail PS5s.

I'm not saying that as an attack on Sony either like you guys are at MS. The games are made on PC, the demos and trailers are made and captured on PC. It means nothing.

Like I said, what is your reasoning for repeatedly mentioning how concerning it is that it was running on pc when 3rd party developers all have their final dev kits and have games running on them ready for release in 3 months and haven't had any problems? Care to explain the concern?

The response is already written for them - "The PS5 was used as a capture card to simply capture CGI videos and they wrote it this way to trick everyone!"

Which is funny because some of the same people will also say the games looked cross-gen and unimpressive. So they're both CGI videos impossible to be run on a new system and are at the same time unimpressive cross-gen efforts. You can't make this stuff up :messenger_tears_of_joy:

I don't think anyone has been saying that they're CGI videos and are unimpressive? Nothing about HZD2 for example looked even remotely unattainable. All I'm saying is that they weren't running on retail PS5s, not that it's a bad thing.

Last edited:

Thief1987

The games are made on PC, the demos and trailers are made and captured on PC. It means nothing.
Why this idiotic argument even exist? Games are made on PC but they are coded for Playstation API and OS. They can't run on PC just because devs using it for coding, toolsets, compiling etc. It's exclusive games, they doesn't have DirectX and Windows versions, thats why ND from your example used farm of PS4 devkits and not some super buffed PC.

Capturing game footage from a console and showing it to the public is now called pre-rendered? WTF are people smoking here with such lazy takes? Get better folks!

TheGrat1

To paraphrase what someone on another forum said: Xbox is always on a roll until it is time to show games.

I still wonder why people get so caught up in the marketing before they actually see the end product that they will actually be consuming. Specs are one thing but marketing hype is meaningless. Case in point:
4 months ago:

Less than 24 hours ago:

In just 4 months this Xbox slanted channel went from claiming Xbox was one step ahead of Sony to whining about PlayStation exclusive content. "pie_tears_joy:
And all of that "one step ahead" talk was based on nothing more than specs and Phil Spencer's "confidence." He had yet to see 1 second of gameplay (not even the inside Xbox show with Valhalla) for the Series X but declared Xbox ahead based on the board room equivalent of console war shit talking.

Save yourself the heartache next time people: Whenever a PR statement from any of the companies comes without game footage, ignore it. You will avoid looking very silly later on.

whitesugar

Banned
To paraphrase what someone on another forum said: Xbox is always on a roll until it is time to show games.

I still wonder why people get so caught up in the marketing before they actually see the end product that they will actually be consuming. Specs are one thing but marketing hype is meaningless. Case in point:
4 months ago:

"What can Sony do to turn the tide of hype their way?"

MZnYZUx.gif

Last edited:
I think the current 'default' in the gaming consumer is that Sony = the console to get if you want one. Otherwise everyone wants a Switch because of the portable form-factor + Nintendo games are so 'yummy' to look at. How can Phil get into the minds & hearts of the general public, I do not know.

I think the current 'default' in the gaming consumer is that Sony = the console to get if you want one. Otherwise everyone wants a Switch because of the portable form-factor + Nintendo games are so 'yummy' to look at. How can Phil get into the minds & hearts of the general public, I do not know.

I definitely think they need to try something different and, to be honest, I think that's what they're trying to do with Gamepass. MS has always been a software platform at heart. I just think that at the moment - for whatever reason - their message on XBox and Gamepass is somewhat muddled. I wonder if that's from Sony driving the narative on next gen resulting in MS reacting to whatever they do (Admitedly they were doing well until Sony decided to start their marketing campaign and then it kind of all fell apart) or whether it's a sign of Leadership issues.

They clearly realise that exclusives are a weakness (which is why they've acquired various studios over the last couple of years). However, acquiring studios is always fought with risk (will the team keep their magic?) and giving them new IP (such as Playground with Fable) is always going to take a lot longer than expected to nail. Playground was born out of a chunk of Codermasters' core racing studio which is why they could create Forza Horizons fairly painlessly. Creating an RPG (with the baggage of Fable) is a whole different prospect. Same for hiring various staff from Naugthy Dog and Santa Moncia Studios. Even if these people are tallented and have worked together previously, a new studio is always going to have some storming before it starts delivering.

Outside of grabbing a few 3rd-party exclusives (for some reason Sony seems to be doing all the chasing in this area) I envisage a pretty barren year or two.

Maybe, if XBX is as powerful as they say and 3rd-party multiplats are shown to be noticably better than their PS5 equivalent, maybe - just maybe - they can double down on that narrative. Maybe....

RoadHazard

Gold Member
The most anticipated games of the year (cyberpunk and valhalla) will play better on xbox series x. Meanwhile ps5 owners can enjoy godfall and bugsnax :messenger_tears_of_joy:

They will run and look pretty much exactly the same. Yes, there will be some difference in dynamic res at times or whatever, but overall they will look the same. It's a 17% difference in GPU power, not like PS4 vs XB1 where it was almost 40% (or XB1X vs Pro, which was even more).

Meanwhile, PS5 can stream in new data more than twice as fast. Not that I expect that to be obvious in cross-gen games.

And meanwhile meanwhile, PS5 owners can enjoy Miles Morales, R&C, Horizon 2, etc (not all at launch, but yeah). XSX owners can enjoy... The Medium?

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I dont need to. I'll just leave this here..

(Locked)12>10 (variable)

It's actually 12.1 vs 10.3. But whatever.

Did you know that that 2.23 GHz > 1.825 GHz. And that teraflops are only one aspect of a GPU's overall performance? Did you know that, for example, PS5 will have faster geometry handling and better fillrate?

So yes, the XSX will be able to shade more pixels per second, but the PS5 will do other things better.

Top Bottom