• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer "Just being honest" Claims Advantage over PS5

iJudged

Banned
Couldn't find it posted, console war me if old...

"He's just being honest, feels good after the PS5 reveal"

“Just being honest, I felt good after seeing their show. I think the hardware advantages that we have built are going to show up as we’re talking more about our games and frame rates and other things,”

“We got more clarity on what they’re doing at their show which just helped us focus in on more of what we have, and I think that will be a strength for us at launch.”

“When I think about the position that we’re in, with the games that we’re going to be able to show and how they’re going to show up, and the hardware advantage that we have, I think we’re in a very good position,” Spencer says.

tenor.gif

Last edited:

CamHostage

Launch line ups are what I need to see from both. Sonys looks a little drab but Halo Infinite isn't enough either.

Agreed, unfortunately (I'm a PlayStation guy at heart.) The great weakness of that Sony show was that none of those new games actually had a date assigned to them or launch stamps (except for Astro Bot, of course,) and it doesn't seem like anything except Spider-Man, maybe Bugsnax and Jett and hopefully Godfall will be ready. Everything else at launch will be PS4 "Optimized For" games.

I mean, a lot of the air is let out of my Xbox enthusiasm from knowing that the whole launch and first year will be these "Optimized" games made for 2 1/2 console generations in one box, and their launch lineup isn't thick yet either. But. if they get Halo Infinite to look like a next-gen game at heart, that's at least one monolith at launch, compared to a Spider-Man "stand-alone expansion" that, like Halo, must be a lot of PS4 parts with a PS5 supercharger.

I don't expect the tflops to make much difference (even Phil Spencer isn't saying their system is going to mop up the competition, just that he believes he's got the better box overall,) but Sony didn't defy expectations with it's all-exclusive PS5 show, and so I can see how Spencer is feeling comfortable in his chair with the specs advantage and the performance shown on (cross-gen) titles so far and nothing from the competition pushing it ahead (as cool as level-switching was in Ratchet, I agree that the "SSD Special Sauce" talk has come up short while the Series X SSD has so far been "good enough" to achieve some of PS5's promises.) It looks like it's going to be a clean race.

Last edited:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Agreed, unfortunately (I'm a PlayStation guy at heart.) The great weakness of that Sony show was that none of those new games actually had a date assigned to them or launch stamps (except for Astro Bot, of course,) and it doesn't seem like anything except Spider-Man, maybe Bugsnax and Jett and hopefully Godfall will be ready. Everything else at launch will be PS4 "Optimized For" games.

I mean, a lot of the air is let out of my Xbox enthusiasm from knowing that the whole launch and first year will be these "Optimized" games made for 2 1/2 console generations in one box, and their launch lineup isn't thick yet either, but if they get Halo Infinite to look like a next-gen game at heart, that's at least monolith at launch, compared to a Spider-Man "stand-alone expansion".

Godfall and Spiderman normally wouldn't be enough to get me day 1. (Using stimulus to get box XSX and PS5) but I'll likely grab them both for something to play on ps5. But if I had to choose I'd take Halo Infinite on XSX over Spiderman Miles Morales as this point.

Dolomite

I sometimes wonder how he has time to actually do his job with all these interviews he's doing every day.

Or is doing interviews his job?

We actually have more than enough data to make a Phil Spencer interview bot.
....... Yes. He's the CEO and posterboy of Microsoft's Xbox division.

Doing interviews to build prelaunch hype is literally in his job description 😂😂😂

Microsoft has always been bad at this. They are usually arrogant and then get their asses kicked. All those windows vs apple commercials come to mind.
If you're going to reference them getting their asses kicked, referencing them losing to the inferior product with a cult-like following probably isn't the best example to give.

PS4 works just fine.

Xplainin

Banned
Yet they haven't showed anything that show Xbox Series X advantage over PS5 in fact most people are wondering if Xbox Series X will match PS5 lol
Thats because they havent done their showcase yet.
All we have seen is a tiny bit of Halo, Hellblade 2 and some indie stuff.
All will be revealed after Julys show and tell.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Oh man, im super hyped for Xbox Series X in regards to exclusives, third party multi-platform games and Game Pass. For PlayStation 5, im hyped for their exclusives and that's pretty much it.

As of now, I have Spider Man: Miles Morales for PlayStation 5 while on Xbox Series X, I'll have multiple multi-platform titles like AC Valhalla, Cyberpunk 2077, Outriders, etc. as well as exclusives such as Halo Infinite, The Ascent, The Medium, Second Extinction and Gears Tactics as launch titles.

Won't speak for anyone else but for me, I'll have plenty of games to play at launch and months later. Will probably be set until Summer 2021. Hell, I already have a next gen backlog!!! lol.

sendit

Microsoft has always been bad at this. They are usually arrogant and then get their asses kicked. All those windows vs apple commercials come to mind.

Lol. I member.

"$500, fully subsidized" :messenger_loudly_crying: You can almost feel the pain in Steve's voice as he tries to sell Windows Phone + Zune. Who is selling zero phones now? :pie_thinking:

X1, $500, fully subsidized
X1X, $600, fully subsidized

Last edited:

RCU005

Microsoft is focusing on performance, and while that is good, they MUST have good games! It's not enough to have third party games running better on Xbox, or having Tetris having 120 Fps. People want new games, with great story, great gameplay and great performance. Not just the performance part.

The problem with Microsoft is that they think games as anything that can be played. They don't care what it is, as long as it's called a game. It's like when your mother brings you Call of Doody 2 for your 12th birthday, because for her, it was all the same. She just sees video games.

Sony on the other hand, knows what gamers want. They learned people want AAA games from them. They know people want epic single player experiences, and that's what they are doing. They also have a lot of variety with many genres, PLUS they have third party games.

Nintendo also knows their audience. They know they like Nintendo IPs, and they keep them coming.

Microsoft doesn't know that. Microsoft hasn't learned what their audience is. They need to do something that make people wow, and want to go buy their console.

How many people actually buy an Xbox because of their games? It's a third party console. That's why it failed this generation, because casuals will buy the console that most of their friends have, and this time it was the PS4. The Xbox One because a secondary console, and with the Switch, not even that.

Microsoft needs to give experiences to people that make them want to buy OVER the competition. They need their God of War, their Super Mario, their OWN identity.

"as we’re talking more about our games and frame rates"

Imagine all their first party games being 60 fps minimum. The thing is you can always push more at half the framerate and the series x biggest advantage is their GPU.

I can dream though

Bryank75

Banned
It's great that he feels good... but I have this impression of him always being overly bullish every E3 and I believe they will have a good show but I don't think it will be earth-shattering.

I have a good idea of what to expect from them in terms of games.

sendit

Microsoft is focusing on performance, and while that is good, they MUST have good games! It's not enough to have third party games running better on Xbox, or having Tetris having 120 Fps. People want new games, with great story, great gameplay and great performance. Not just the performance part.

The problem with Microsoft is that they think games as anything that can be played. They don't care what it is, as long as it's called a game. It's like when your mother brings you Call of Doody 2 for your 12th birthday, because for her, it was all the same. She just sees video games.

Sony on the other hand, knows what gamers want. They learned people want AAA games from them. They know people want epic single player experiences, and that's what they are doing. They also have a lot of variety with many genres, PLUS they have third party games.

Nintendo also knows their audience. They know they like Nintendo IPs, and they keep them coming.

Microsoft doesn't know that. Microsoft hasn't learned what their audience is. They need to do something that make people wow, and want to go buy their console.

How many people actually buy an Xbox because of their games? It's a third party console. That's why it failed this generation, because casuals will buy the console that most of their friends have, and this time it was the PS4. The Xbox One because a secondary console, and with the Switch, not even that.

Microsoft needs to give experiences to people that make them want to buy OVER the competition. They need their God of War, their Super Mario, their OWN identity.

I think they're realizing that (With them buying up 16+ studios). They need compelling titles/exclusives to keep customers on their platform. Forza, Gears, and Halo aren't cutting it.

Last edited:
It has nothing to do with being honest or not.
There has never been a time in history with someone literally sold you a device with everything weaker besides one component that actually doesn't do the work.

Come buy this system with the best SSD, and..........................................................................................................

Top Bottom