• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer is gonna do more for gamers than any person this decade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bragr

Banned
In 2014, Microsoft was about to cancel Xbox. Xbox One was a failure.

Spencer was the man to push for the continued existence of Xbox. He had a vision that convinced Microsoft that there was something here to salvage.

He inherited Xbox One and all the problems of that machine, and ever since has struggled to find a way to compete with Playstation. But from the start, he understood what he had to do.

He had to build a new initiative within Xbox from scratch and simply investing in games was not gonna cut it, he was never gonna compete with Sony that way. But he knew what he had to do, and he knew it was gonna take years to build, amidst gamers mocking Xbox One and the failures of the company to compete with Sony.

Game Pass, XCloud, PC Support, making Xbox a PC and console brand combined, this is the way. Building for the future, a future that slowly built the library and subscriptions of Game Pass, a future that anticipated the growth and importance of PC gaming and subscription services.

Years later, here we are. Xbox offers game streaming on smartphones and tablets, in January Game Pass had 18 million members, and the number is exploding month to month. PC and console gamers alike are flocking to the service. The service sees full-on triple-A games launch day one, something developers and fans alike questioned would be feasible but Spencer would not back down.

While Playstation is ditching E3 and cross-platform games, Spencer moves towards it.

Phil Spencer's vision is starting to take form, the path is set, when Bethesda starts to push Fallout and Elder Scrolls, and XCloud allows even weak PC's to play triple-A games, the curtain will fall and Xbox will explode across the console market and PC gaming.

His vision will bring fourth gaming services that ditch the 70 dollar bullshit price tag, and gives us access on day 1. XCloud will swallow up Stadia and Geforce Now and allow everyone to play high-end PC games with a stable cloud service simply by owning Game Pass.

Hallelujah.

Hezekiah

Banned
I love this post, it highlights how many gullible mugs there are who think Phil Spencer is their 'friend', and not a corporate exec who is making the moves that he thinks will make his company as much money as possible going forward.

Cult of personality only works on the brainwashed though.

Concern

I love this post, it highlights how many gullible mugs there are who think Phil Spencer is their 'friend', and not a corporate exec who is making the moves that he thinks will make his company as much money as possible going forward.

Cult of personality only works on the brainwashed though.

irony GIF

In 2014, Microsoft was about to cancel Xbox. Xbox One was a failure.

Spencer was the man to push for the continued existence of Xbox. He had a vision that convinced Microsoft that there was something here to salvage.

He inherited Xbox One and all the problems of that machine, and ever since has struggled to find a way to compete with Playstation. But from the start, he understood what he had to do.

He had to build a new initiative within Xbox from scratch and simply investing in games was not gonna cut it, he was never gonna compete with Sony that way. But he knew what he had to do, and he knew it was gonna take years to build, amidst gamers mocking Xbox One and the failures of the company to compete with Sony.

Game Pass, XCloud, PC Support, making Xbox a PC and console brand combined, this is the way. Building for the future, a future that slowly built the library and subscriptions of Game Pass, a future that anticipated the growth and importance of PC gaming and subscription services.

Years later, here we are. Xbox offers game streaming on smartphones and tablets, in January Game Pass had 18 million members, and the number is exploding month to month. PC and console gamers alike are flocking to the service. The service sees full-on triple-A games launch day one, something developers and fans alike questioned would be feasible but Spencer would not back down.

While Playstation is ditching E3 and cross-platform games, Spencer moves towards it.

Phil Spencer's vision is starting to take form, the path is set, when Bethesda starts to push Fallout and Elder Scrolls, and XCloud allows even weak PC's to play triple-A games, the curtain will fall and Xbox will explode across the console market and PC gaming.

His vision will bring fourth gaming services that ditch the 70 dollar bullshit price tag, and gives us access on day 1. XCloud will swallow up Stadia and Geforce Now and allow everyone to play high-end PC games with a stable cloud service simply by owning Game Pass.

Hallelujah.
The guy is a used car salesman talking out of his ass more than anything, he says the right things in interviews but there is rarely ever any action or follow up. Just wait until you see the quality of first party games you get when it's based on a subscription service over time, they'll spend the money now to lure people in but the first party offerings since GP has been a thing are few and far between. I'd much rather pay the $70 for a true AAA experience than just signing up for a $10 monthly thing and then cancelling it once I finish the game, that's a surefire way to put a company out of business. GP isn't making much money right now they even admit that and the more games the release the worse it'll do financially until they raise the price significantly OR make games built around microtransactions and backend monetization, $10-$15 a month isn't enough to pay for 2-3 AAA games a year as well let alone the 3rd party stuff they also have to pay for.

Last edited:

DESTROYA

I’ll believe when I see it. He is doing some great things but he is not the second coming.
You might wanna dial back the rhetoric.

Last edited:
He is the one who reverter the backward compatibility and said from day one that Xbox One has problems. It takes a long time to make changes, and he wasn't gonna turn Xbox One around in a year.
I was talking about his past as the general manager of Microsoft Studios.
His poor management of studios and IPs didn't help the Bone.

Alright

Banned
He's going to hand the reigns back to J Allard?

Gamepass is great if it stops where it is, now. We know it won't it will keep expanding and chasing the bigger market. Microsoft said there are 3 billion gamers. Just like me and my hard-core friends were 'left behind' in 2010~ so that the industry could chase Codguy, gamer girl and shooter bro's, so too will of them be left behind for mobile gamers, fortnite kiddies and the mtx whales.

Selling a £10 sub to 1 billion people, regardless of the quality or quantity that comes with that sub, is every companies dream.

Last edited:

Concern

"I don't care if you have a PC, I can build my own!" 😄

I'm multiplatform, unlike you I'm not creaming myself over Phil Spencer and GamePass every night 🤦.

Poor guy still derailing. I guess you're still seeking my approval of your pictures lol. Shouldn't be so bothered by what strangers on the internet think of you. Its ok, move on 😉

Dr Bass

Here we go again ... Spencer is just not that smart or capable. Nearly an entire decade at the helm and not one major breakout hit you can name under his lead that I can think of.

Game Pass is almost certainly a directive from Nadella. The dude loves software subscriptions.

The real danger of GP is it will devalue games similar to how the App Store and Mac App Store did for mobile and pc software. It’s completely destroyed consumer expectations of cost by enabling crap to thrive, and people are less willing to pay for actual quality software now. And then writing said quality software becomes unsustainable because no one is left that’s willing to pay. It’s a vicious cycle that poses the danger of very few companies being able to make it in the industry. We need to be growing revenues, not shrinking them.

Anyway, point is, Spencer isn’t someone to celebrate at all.

Hezekiah

Banned
Poor guy still derailing. I guess you're still seeking my approval of your pictures lol. Shouldn't be so bothered by what strangers on the internet think of you. Its ok, move on 😉
You're one of those bitter people who makes fun of Playstation owners falsely claiming to own 'monster PCs'.

You get shown one and you start crying about it 🤭.

Concern

You're one of those bitter people who makes fun of Playstation owners falsely claiming to own 'monster PCs'.

You get shown one and you start crying about it 🤭.

You must have a different definition of crying lol. Continue derailing by yourself. Still weird how you want to send me pics of you and your pc like I'd be impressed. Scary shit right there. Have a nice day 👍

ManaByte

The guy is a used car salesman talking out of his ass more than anything, he says the right things in interviews but there is rarely ever any action or follow up. Just wait until you see the quality of first party games you get when it's based on a subscription service over time, they'll spend the money now to lure people in but the first party offerings since GP has been a thing are few and far between. I'd much rather pay the $70 for a true AAA experience than just signing up for a $10 monthly thing and then cancelling it once I finish the game, that's a surefire way to put a company out of business. GP isn't making much money right now they even admit that and the more games the release the worse it'll do financially until they raise the price significantly OR make games built around microtransactions and backend monetization, $10-$15 a month isn't enough to pay for 2-3 AAA games a year as well let alone the 3rd party stuff they also have to pay for.

Microsoft is nearly a $2 TILLION company. You think $200M for a AAA game is anything to them? The $7B they spent on Bethesda is basically loose change in their sock drawer.

TonyK

I think it would have been better if you had pointed the pros of Phil Spencer's work without that hyperbole about the decade. With that thread title it's very difficult to take you seriously and invest time in reading your post.

DJTHEGREY

Although I like how things are going, it's still too early to say everything he's done has worked out. However like many are saying competition is always good and xbox is definitely shaking things up.

Hezekiah

Banned
You must have a different definition of crying lol. Continue derailing by yourself. Still weird how you want to send me pics of you and your pc like I'd be impressed. Scary shit right there. Have a nice day 👍
Erm, I posted them on the forum, they weren't just for you.....

Maybe write a positive message on the back of your Phil Spencer poster for you to dwell on next time you're feeling sad 😢😛.

Ellery

I certainly hope so after the last 7 years where Phil promised and talked a lot it is finally time to show what all that will amount to.

I am not being concerntrolling or dishonest here. I truly hope that Xbox can surprise me in the way that would make me happy. I don't know what the future will bring, but at the end of the day I just want the best games to be realized and come out no matter the platform they are on.

Always liked Phil, but now it is time to show the endgame and I don't mean gamepass, I don't mean Halo Infinite. They can do it. They have the resources to support and fund projects and buy studios.

I mean videogames that bring a smile to my face that says "this is a videogame".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom