• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer Is Back in Japan: “Strong Energy and Excitement Here About Gaming’s Future”

sublimit

Banned
If there was a "Best PR" award category in the game awards Phil would have won it easily. Those noobs at Sony and Nintendo should take lessons from him how to hype people without actually saying (or doing) anything. :messenger_grinning_smiling:

Dabaus

Banned
Cross posting from the next gen thread:

I’ve always held the position that when it comes to Japan Xbox is just meddling. They have no market share there, the Japanese dont want them, and the game Sell a fraction of what they do compared to PS4 here in the west. At this point the only thing fueling Xbox in Japan is spite against PlayStation.

I See these ridiculous studio acquisition wish list from Xbox fans like from software or whoever with no regard whatsoever if it’s even good for the studio, which it would be a catastrophe for. There’s no desire to even play the game or want the game it’s just to spite and undermine PlayStation.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Does it? I think they made some neat stuff happen on Xbox and Xbox 360 even if it never panned out in terms of commercial success.

At which point they lost interest, or started meddling with creative direction in order to make more saleable product.

Either way, No Bueno.

Last edited:

Vasto

Phil can tweet out nothing but a ! and people will gather to talk about.

Stop hating because the man is just so good and admired.. Phil said they are going to focus on Asia and that is what they are doing. Rumor is that they will announce a new studio in Japan.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
At which point they lost interest, or started meddling with creative direction in order to make more saleable product.

Either way, No Bueno.

Fair enough, but I think things might be different with Phil Spencer at the helm. Historically, Xbox has always been under the "Windows" group umbrella. With Phil Spencer's promotion to senior leadership in 2017 and Satya Nadella's renewed comittment to Xbox as its own group within Microsoft, I think there is potential for far less "losing of interest" as before when priorities shifting elsewhere in the company could completely change Xbox's direction regardless of what the Xbox business team wanted to do.

vpance

I’ve always held the position that when it comes to Japan Xbox is just meddling. They have no market share there, the Japanese dont want them, and the game Sell a fraction of what they do compared to PS4 here in the west. At this point the only thing fueling Xbox in Japan is spite against PlayStation.

I See these ridiculous studio acquisition wish list from Xbox fans like from software or whoever with no regard whatsoever if it’s even good for the studio, which it would be a catastrophe for. There’s no desire to even play the game or want the game it’s just to spite and undermine PlayStation.

Have the same feeling, ever since PS360 days. Hope Japan devs don't fall for it like they did back then.

Dabaus

Banned
Have the same feeling, ever since PS360 days. Hope Japan devs don't fall for it like they did back then.

I think we may see some surprise multiplatform game announcements but i dont think there will be any timed exclusives. Look at all the franchises that literally died going xbox exclusive just last generation, Star Ocean, Ace Combat, and new IP's like Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon couldve been big hits are completely dead. Im aware MS funded the LO and BD.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Fair enough, but I think things might be different with Phil Spencer at the helm. Historically, Xbox has always been under the "Windows" group umbrella. With Phil Spencer's promotion to senior leadership in 2017 and Satya Nadella's renewed comittment to Xbox as its own group within Microsoft, I think there is potential for far less "losing of interest" as before when priorities shifting elsewhere in the company could completely change Xbox's direction regardless of what the Xbox business team wanted to do.

Not saying its a forever thing, but if you look back you'll see Xbox has had dealings in the past with a pretty impressive who's who of the Japanese industry, and yet none of these relationships have flourished to the extent that we think of them as being long-term partners.

It is what it is. Phil has a lot of fences to mend and bridges to build.

DanielsM

Banned
Spencer here always tells the same thing or is it just me?

Yes, but technically he really didn't even say anything here... there is "excitement". :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Japanese devs/publishers targeting the Asia market have little reason to target the Xbox, and Microsoft blew their goo when they shut down Games for Windows Live and shafted everyone that was invested in the Store, so the MS Store is a no go for most large publishers/developers. Exactly what type of "services" does Lil Phil plan on selling?

Unless he has exclusive dollars to hand out, not sure what "excitement" they are going to have.

Last edited:
People on xbox don't care about Japanese games, at all. If they did they probably would be a PS customer.

I care about Japanese games, but not enough to swap platforms entirely. I'd love stuff like Yakuza on Xbox because it's the console I turn on every night.

Reactions: Isa

SleepDoctor

Banned
But the naysayers (as you put it) have been right about the Japanese market as far as consoles since 2001, of course, I would say he is making his best speech about not abandoning the hardware... but as far as "services" via MS Store ,good luck there... big publishers aren't going to invest in that, generally speaking... Games for Windows Live taught a lot of lessons.

Even when MS was throwing money around Japan in the original Xbox days, sales still sucked.

Daily marketing and silly Pr isn't going to help anything, Microsoft has to actually find a business model and execute.

This genius doesn't learn. Back from a ban for trolling/warring xbox threads and "jumps in" to an xbox thread asap. 5 out of 6 his 6 posts are in xbox threads lol wow.

OT: Phil can live in japan for all i care, fact is they won't support anything over Sony or Nintendo.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

Don’t get it twisted. It’s not a lie with Trump, there is energy and excitement at his rallies. He sells out stadiums and then some.

Just how it is worded. It’s exuberant marketing. I have a feeling they are reeling in a Japanese exclusive or two that does well in the West.

Last edited:

DanielsM

Banned
Don’t get it twisted. It’s not a lie with Trump, there is energy and excitement at his rallies. He sells out stadiums and then some.

Just how it is worded. It’s exuberant marketing. I have a feeling they are reeling in a Japanese exclusive or two that does well in the West.

Absolutely agree. Its like fake fun, you know when you go to some organize event like for school or work or big family gathering... and they are over-blowing the thing.

"Bowling is crazy time!!!!!"

Last edited by a moderator:

vpance

I think we may see some surprise multiplatform game announcements but i dont think there will be any timed exclusives. Look at all the franchises that literally died going xbox exclusive just last generation, Star Ocean, Ace Combat, and new IP's like Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon couldve been big hits are completely dead. Im aware MS funded the LO and BD.

That on top of Japan devs troubles coming to grip with mutli core and shaders didn't help matters much.

Even though the Japan dev scen
Absolutely agree. Its like fake fun, you know when you go to some organize event like for school or work or big family gathering... and they are over-blowing the thing.

"Bowling is crazy time!!!!!"

It's like reading PR from 2 decades ago, but now on Twitter. Phil is the most boomer gaming exec 🧓

MoreJRPG

Suffers from extreme PDS
I do get giddy inside. We at least get stuff from Microsoft. Jim Ryan’s still in hiding since he kicked Shawn Layden to the curb.

• LOL

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I love Japan so damn much.

Everything is just...better there. Food, cleanliness, sense of community. Arcades are actually frequented there. The temples. The women. I need to go back, like, for good. Even the clubs are fuckin hype. Club Harlem specifically. Melting pot of nationalities all coming together to enjoy hip hop. When would you ever expect to go to a Japanese club and have a vodka with a Russian girl. Awesome.

I'm completely off subject, Phil saying it's great to be back in Japan just brought me back.

Hopefully Phil is cutting a deal with Platinum to pick them up, but I'm pretty sure that will never happen. A man can dream.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Xbox needs more than multiplstform Japanese games, it needs to have third or first party exclusives Japanese games same way Nintendo and Sony has.

Elenchus

Banned

What does MS’s share of the insignificant Japanese console market have to do with Phil’s efforts to bring Japanese games to Xbox gamers?

It’s like you’re having a completely different conversation.

And you telling us that Japanese devs aren’t interested in Xbox fresh off the heels of those devs making deal after deal with MS is like you exist in a completely different universe.

Put down the Cheerios and poke your head outside. You’ll find this thing called reality waiting for you.

Danjin44

One could argue that the Japanese support on Xbox is actually better than on Switch
What the hell are you talking about!!? Switch has both First and third party exclusive Japanese games on their system while Xbox only gets Japanese games are are already available on PS4.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
All that matters. The one that farts the loudest has nothing to show.

Don’t get me wrong, I have a feeling Microsoft will come out much better than last gen with games, they have to and all the studios working on things will start showing the fruits of their labor.

I still think they are securing some Japanese games that themed well in the West. I would be shocked if it were another Lost Odyssey or The Last Remnant style approach.

Last edited:
  • Thoughtful

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Well the thread is about Japanese games not Sony’s 1st party so I just listed a few games Phil has delivered to the Xbox platform.

I can explain my post fairly easily.

Can you?

That’s true and I comment them for it. Looking forward to seeing what comes out of this teasing.

Elenchus

Banned
What the hell are you talking about!!? Switch has both First and third party exclusive Japanese games on their system while Xbox only gets Japanese games are are already available on PS4.

So Nier, Code Vein, Monster Hunter World, the complete Final Fantasy collection, and Yakuza are on Switch?

That’s funny I can’t seem to find them on the eshop but I do see all those on Xbox.

Why don’t you post a link so that we can support these major Japanese releases on Switch?

He's been saying this for the last 5 and a half years and the Japanese support has only slightly gotten better.

Sony gave us Nier, Yakuza, and Final Fantasy? I had no idea. Congrats 🎉🍾🎈!!

Nah, but fact is is that those franchises wouldn't even exist anymore if it weren't for Sony.

Last edited:

Danjin44

So Nier, Code Vein, Monster Hunter World, the complete Final Fantasy collection, and Yakuza are on Switch?

That’s funny I can’t seem to find them on the eshop but I do see all those on Xbox.

Why don’t you post a link so that we can support these major Japanese releases on Switch?
Most Japanese games Xbox gets I can already get on my PS4 while Switch has Japanese games I can't get either on PS4 or Xbox. This biggest reason why I buy Sony and Nintendo systems because both give exclusive Japanese games while Xbox gives none that, if thats gonna continue with Xbox Series X then have no reason to get their system.

Dabaus

Banned
What does MS’s share of the insignificant Japanese console market have to do with Phil’s efforts to bring Japanese games to Xbox gamers?

It’s like you’re having a completely different conversation.

And you telling us that Japanese devs aren’t interested in Xbox fresh off the heels of those devs making deal after deal with MS is like you exist in a completely different universe.

Put down the Cheerios and poke your head outside. You’ll find this thing called reality waiting for you.

I dont mind Phil Port begging. Im talking about exclusives.

Elenchus

Banned
Most Japanese games Xbox gets I can already get on my PS4 while Switch has Japanese games I can't get either on PS4 or Xbox. This biggest reason why I buy Sony and Nintendo systems because both give exclusive Japanese games while Xbox gives none that, if thats gonna continue with Xbox Series X then have no reason to get their system.

Just as I said. GAF can only defend Switch’s Japanese library by combining it with PS4’s.

Whenever you try to have an apples to apples comparison some unfocused lad starts lobbing oranges.

Never fails.

mejin

PS4 also has games that don't come to switch and xbox. So, it is true if you have sony and nintendo you have everything.

Elenchus

Banned
I dont mind Phil Port begging. Im talking about exclusives.

The thread is about Japanese games not Japanese exclusives.

And Phil working to get third party games on Xbox is not port begging to Sony because Sony didn’t make those games right?

Top Bottom