• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer Interview with Stephen Totilo - Biggest goal is to reach a larger audience for Xbox Game Studios

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
That is certainly one view. Another is that there are entire message boards and reddit threads dedicated to the discussion of what games are playable on an IGP and what hacks can be made to get games running there that shouldn't. Streaming certainly opens new possibilities for those folks (and the Steam hardware survey suggests there are many and that would be a small fraction), as it does for those that can access directly on a TV. Maybe they have one console and can't justify the purchase of another to themselves, etc.

Important also is the fact that if even the tiniest percentage of the non-console, non-gaming-pc population buy in that could be game changing numbers. And, as yet another reason for companies to push this way, you can solve a lot of problems with lack of supply as most systems in the cloud will get used by multiple people throughout the day.

I just don't buy the idea that you're going to drastically increase penetration in territories where videogames are already popular. Obviously, there are always new frontiers and new regions to explore, but again I'd question whether such places are really going to be suitable for an approach that requires so much in terms of telecoms infrastructure.

It seems to me that fast, and most importantly cheap bandwidth is only going to be a thing once demand reaches a certain level, and as gaming is an obvious driver of demand... it seems like a chicken and egg sort of conundrum.

kingfey

Banned
It makes me wonder what reality some of these guys live in. I mean look at the nonsense below. These armchair business owners are hilarious.
They enjoyed the ps4 numbers so much, they forgot, consoles have 8 year cycle, and they can lose those numbers.
.ps2 was 155m, ps3 hit 87m. Ps4 hit 120m. At the end of the gen, those numbers are gone. You will start from scratch.

As long as xss exist, MS can close the gap fast.

Sony had 2x wafer, yet the gap is 5m, instead of 8-9m.
True and on top of that with the 30+ studios they will own by 2023, they are bound to make a few massive hit games that people will see the Xbox as a must have. It already is for millions of people but i mean even converting PS casuals back to Xbox.

I know they release on PC too but not everyone will buy a GPU that will cost as much or more than the Xbox itself just to play their games.

chonga

more people to be playing Candy Crush in five years, because we've made it more accessible to more people
Yes free to play mobile games are so inaccessible. I think Candy Crush would be a lot more profitable if it was able to be played outside of the most prolifically owned electronic device of our time.

arvfab

Banned
Yes free to play mobile games are so inaccessible. I think Candy Crush would be a lot more profitable if it was able to be played outside of the most prolifically owned electronic device of our time.
Candy Crush Xbox Series optimized version incoming 😂

kingfey

Banned
True and on top of that with the 30+ studios they will own by 2023, they are bound to make a few massive hit games that people will see the Xbox as a must have. It already is for millions of people but i mean even converting PS casuals back to Xbox.

I know they release on PC too but not everyone will buy a GPU that will cost as much or more than the Xbox itself just to play their games.
People generally get either consoles with their pc now, unless that person is hardcore PC users.

Only people who are attached to plastic boxes, would they say they can play those games on pc.

If someone wants to play xbox games, they will get an Xbox.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Star Trek Kirk GIF

kingfey

Banned
I just don't buy the idea that you're going to drastically increase penetration in territories where videogames are already popular. Obviously, there are always new frontiers and new regions to explore, but again I'd question whether such places are really going to be suitable for an approach that requires so much in terms of telecoms infrastructure.

It seems to me that fast, and most importantly cheap bandwidth is only going to be a thing once demand reaches a certain level, and as gaming is an obvious driver of demand... it seems like a chicken and egg sort of conundrum.
India and China are 2 markets, which the console manufacturers havent cracked it yet. Those market house tons of gamers.

Swift_Star

Banned
What I get from this thread is both sides filled with wishful thinking and that’s it. Not a single coherent line of thought. Not even Phil has one since he dodges questions. Phil is the description of “sonso”. Brazilians will get what I mean.

Last edited:

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
I love the port begging that Spencer needs PlayStation player base because its much larger.

They make these purchases to make xbox larger. If they kept releasing then everywhere instead of their own eco system there would be even less reason to buy an Xbox if everything Microsoft purchases keeps releasing on other platforms.

People in here are so colored by their choice of platform that all form of logic sense just gets flushed out the drain.

It's about making xbox more lucrative, not to become a third party developer which some of you are hoping.

Yoboman

I love the port begging that Spencer needs PlayStation player base because its much larger.

They make these purchases to make xbox larger. If they kept releasing then everywhere instead of their own eco system there would be even less reason to buy an Xbox if everything Microsoft purchases keeps releasing on other platforms.

People in here are so colored by their choice of platform that all form of logic sense just gets flushed out the drain.

It's about making xbox more lucrative, not to become a third party developer which some of you are hoping.
Nobody would care if he said they bought Activision to make Xbox exclusives and grow Xbox. We all know that

Everyone is mocking the fact he can't stand the idea that some people won't look fondly on it so he tries to dress it up in PR about getting to as many people as possible, wherever they want to play. But that's totally divorced from reality

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
"Microsoft Studio games" lol all these games and franchises were multiplatforms for decades until March 2021. You don't change history with a cheque.

Starfield was already deep in development for years with a PS5 version planned. You seriously don't see the difference between that and GOW? Or COD and Horizon?

People don't ask about GOW and Horizon on Xbox because they are not braindead 🤣

As opposed to people who keep asking a first party studio from console /a/ to release a game on console /b/ because that studio was once a third party, but not anymore ?

Man, the sense of entitlement sure is real.

The reality is that he can't and won't come out and say it how it is due to a combination of factors:
  1. They have their bullshit "gaming for everyone" marketing/PR that they've been running for a couple of years now ("accessible," accessibility", "inclusive", "inclusivity", "nobody left behind", "were a gaming charity, not a business", "you get cheap gamepass, you get cheap gamepass, everyone gets cheap gamepass") so this lexicon continues to feed in to that in order to appeal to the resetera/twitter type softies.
  2. He knows Lina Khan is lying in wait watching his every move preparing to pounce and put the Activision Blizzard deal in jeopardy.
If he was transparent and truthful with his words this whole discussion doesn't happen.

I mean honestly the reality is that he doesn't even need to give any kind of statements and be a recluse like most of Nintendo and Sony higher ups are who rarely talk to the press.

Yes, he's not exactly giving the most eloquent answers, but this whole interview reads really weird. We've seen much better Phil interviews before, not putting this on Totilo but this is not exactly a great read

Darsxx82

People generally get either consoles with their pc now, unless that person is hardcore PC users.

Only people who are attached to plastic boxes, would they say they can play those games on pc.

If someone wants to play xbox games, they will get an Xbox.
Never forget that parallel reality in which every Playstation user has a PC to play the "unnecessary Xbox console"...... It is usual that when there are discussions like the current one, suddenly all those Playstation users with PCs more powerful than XSX cease to exist.

adamsapple

It could simply be too much coke. Now that Phil is a big wig executive, work hard, play hard yo.

Fi-M-Top10-Cocaine-Scenes-in-Movies-1080p30_480.jpg

"Yes, tell Totilo i'm ready for that quote now"

Quite easy. People on Xbox will play it, people on PC will play it (and PC market is bigger right now), people will try playing it via XCloud at least. Gaming world doesn't start or end with Playstation.

why-would-you-say-something-so-controversial-yet-so-brave.gif

It's almost like people forget Phil's primary goal is Game Pass integration into as many places, eventually even PS5, as possible. Not a straight up units-sold fight.

Last edited:

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Nobody would care if he said they bought Activision to make Xbox exclusives and grow Xbox. We all know that

Everyone is mocking the fact he can't stand the idea that some people won't look fondly on it so he tries to dress it up in PR about getting to as many people as possible, wherever they want to play. But that's totally divorced from reality
He can't say it will become exclusive, in fear of anti trust regulations then would block the purchase.

He did the same with Bethesda. Talked a lot of shit until the deal went through.

FrankWza

This guy knew he couldn’t compete with Nintendo or Sony in the console race so he now wants to show he’s the “good guy” by not caring about console wars (even though he will not allow certain games on competing consoles) and stating it’s about getting games into more peoples hands!!! So allow these games on PS5 and Switch if that’s your end goal! I’m done with the bullshit PR from this guy. He spins so much crap it isn’t funny.
Don’t forget the boogeyman.
I think he’s upset that people want to spend money on games and choose an ecosystem rather than be forced to choose one with forced exclusivity. His mind went pretzel looking at people willing to spend $70 or $60 on new releases or re-released games and still have his console outsold consistently, and try to come up with more and more solutions that don’t work.

Yoboman

He can't say it will become exclusive, in fear of anti trust regulations then would block the purchase.

He did the same with Bethesda. Talked a lot of shit until the deal went through.
Exactly, talks a lot of shit

He doesn't need to say anything, and he certainly doesn't need to dribble out all this fluff about getting it to more gamers than ever

REDRZA MWS

People need to realize at this point, gaming is just business. Rich business will simply buy other business. Be a gamer, and buy the console you want to play. Dont attach yourself to these companies.

I might talk about them alot here, but this is gaming forum, and I keep that way. All 3 consoles are with me. I go turn it on, and play on them. I dont let these feelings affect my gaming habits.
We must me related in some way! My man! ✌️

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
It makes me wonder what reality some of these guys live in. I mean look at the nonsense below. These armchair business owners are hilarious.

Nonsense? I'm not a fanboy of any console and my question was genuine. Try answering it rather than trying to shame me.

Quite easy. People on Xbox will play it, people on PC will play it (and PC market is bigger right now), people will try playing it via XCloud at least. Gaming world doesn't start or end with Playstation.

PC market is huge, but Skyrim was also on PC. Is Xcloud really that big that it can substitute PlayStation and Nintendo players?

Again, I'm not port begging or some PS fanboy. Just a genuine question as to how Microsoft plan to make this Starfield bigger than Skyrim, while also cutting out millions of players.

Swift_Star

Banned

You got it all wrong. At this point only a select few warriors care about A/B purchase. Phil is a sly raccoon trying so hard to look like a good guy that actually makes him look fake and stupid. He “wants games to be available for everyone” but he’s taking games from other platforms, lmao. Why doesn’t he simply say he wants to grow the Xbox userbase and marketshare? Truth hurts?

Swift_Star

Banned
As opposed to people who keep asking a first party studio from console /a/ to release a game on console /b/ because that studio was once a third party, but not anymore ?

Man, the sense of entitlement sure is real.

I mean honestly the reality is that he doesn't even need to give any kind of statements and be a recluse like most of Nintendo and Sony higher ups are who rarely talk to the press.

Yes, he's not exactly giving the most eloquent answers, but this whole interview reads really weird. We've seen much better Phil interviews before, not putting this on Totilo but this is not exactly a great read
It isn’t a great read because I feel journalists are starting to get fed up with this fake good guy act. Phil is buying publishers to grow Xbox marketshare and that’s it. No more “games available to everyone” BS. Nobody is buying that beside warriors.

arvfab

Banned
Nonsense? I'm not a fanboy of any console and my question was genuine. Try answering it rather than trying to shame me.

PC market is huge, but Skyrim was also on PC. Is Xcloud really that big that it can substitute PlayStation and Nintendo players?

Again, I'm not port begging or some PS fanboy. Just a genuine question as to how Microsoft plan to make this Starfield bigger than Skyrim, while also cutting out millions of players.

OMG why u using logic, please STAHP

game request stahp it GIF

Swift_Star

Banned
People would play on all that platforms regardless, but now less people will play. That’s should be super obvious.

adamsapple

He's simply saying they want it to be big. Whether it will be big enough with XCloud and the other platforms or not we'll find out when the game releases.

Again, we've seen games like Forza and Halo do 18 and 20 million respectively over a month~ span of their releases. If those games can do it, the next big AAA prestige Bethesda RPG can too.

At this point even if they say Starfield has 20 million players in 1 month, y'all are gonna say "But if it was on PS it would have been 50 million by now". There really is no end to this.

It isn’t a great read because I feel journalists are starting to get fed up with this fake good guy act. Phil is buying publishers to grow Xbox marketshare and that’s it. No more “games available to everyone” BS. Nobody is buying that beside warriors.

He didn't say anything of the sort in this interview but I guess people are gonna keep hounding him till the end of times.

People would play on all that platforms regardless, but now less people will play. That’s should be super obvious.

Man, exclusivity sure does become a hot button topic when MS does it.

Last edited:

Swift_Star

Banned

Of course xcloud won’t replace PS and Nintendo in the next 10 years. This is pure wishful thinking with no base to rely on. Those that really wants to play starfield will do so on Xbox and PC. A very small and probably negligible audience will play it on xcloud.

Swift_Star

Banned
He's simply saying they want it to be big. Whether it will be big enough with XCloud and the other platforms or not we'll find out when the game releases.

Again, we've seen games like Forza and Halo do 18 and 20 million respectively over a month~ span of their releases. If those games can do it, the next big AAA prestige Bethesda RPG can too.

At this point even if they say Starfield has 20 million players in 1 month, y'all are gonna say "But if it was on PS it would have been 50 million by now". There really is no end to this.

He didn't say anything of the sort in this interview but I guess people are gonna keep hounding him till the end of times.

Man, exclusivity sure does become a hot button topic when MS does it.
Hm, I’ve never seen people complaining about halo/forza/gears/SoT or fable being exclusive. And cute how you can’t really counter the face that LESS people will play starfield. Facts.
And about the previous point, Phil has been with this shitty “games available for everyone” for years now and it’s clearly not working anymore. Not my problem.

Last edited:

On Demand

Banned
I’ve been buying Bethesda games since 2006 on PS3. All Fallouts, All Elder Scrolls.

I’m not buying an Xbox to play Starfield. Not supporting desperation and industry consolidation.

arvfab

Banned
Of course xcloud won’t replace PS and Nintendo in the next 10 years. This is pure wishful thinking with no base to rely on. Those that really wants to play starfield will do so on Xbox and PC. A very small and probably negligible audience will play it on xcloud.

People also seem to forget that Skyrim was available on 3 generations of console + PC to reach that numbers.

adamsapple

Hm, I’ve never seen people complaining about halo/forza/gears/SoT or fable being exclusive. And cute how you can’t really counter the face that LESS people will play starfield. Facts.

Oh ok so you're just mad about the Bethesda acquisition then.

It's an MS first party game, they don't need to release it on other consoles and still have it be a success. That's also a fact.

Swift_Star

Banned
Oh ok so you're just mad about the Bethesda acquisition then.

It's an MS first party game, they don't need to release it on other consoles and still have it be a success. That's also a fact.
Not mad, just stating facts:
Less people will play Starfield because it’s exclusive.
Simply facts.

NickFire

told you so agree GIF by Bounce

The interviewer cornered him pretty well. Now he's more exposed to the FTC.:lollipop_tears_of_joy:
I agree with you that these kind of statements might boomerang back at MS during any regulatory reviews. The double speak alone regarding intentions is reason for investigators to be distrustful. And the only way his claim makes sense is if MS goal is to buy enough pubs that people stop seeing other platforms as able to compete on games. Unless someone believes in the fairy tale that suggests people want to play AAA cutting edge games on their phone that is.

adamsapple

Not mad, just stating facts:
Less people will play Starfield because it’s exclusive.
Simply facts.

There's no way of gauging this, it's not releasing on last gen platforms. The potential amount of PS5 owners who would have bought it can easily be offset by Xcloud users playing on any other platform.

You're not stating facts as much as port-begging here.

DaGwaphics

Oh how the tables have turned, Phil preaches Jim practices...

Do you guys actually believe this or is it some kind of bizarre humor?

Please let me know what Sony is doing to help Bungie reach more players than what they were already doing before? So far I'm not seeing anything. Looks like status quo, don't see an affordable subscription option, don't see a day one cloud option. 🤷‍♂️

Swift_Star

Banned
There's no way of gauging this, it's not releasing on last gen platforms. The potential amount of PS5 owners who would have bought it can easily be offset by Xcloud users playing on any other platform.

I find really funny how you really think it will be offset by xcloud when people barely knows it exist and the ones that are using it are those that already have xbox consoles. Stop living in fantasy land.
And I’m not port begging, since I stated multiple times I don’t like first person games.
I’m just stating simple facts:
Less people will play Starfield.
Phil is a sly liar raccoon that pretends he wants games to be available for everyone when, in fact, he wants to grow Xbox marketshare.

Last edited:
U
Do you guys actually believe this or is it some kind of bizarre humor?

Please let me know what Sony is doing to help Bungie reach more players than what they were already doing before? So far I'm not seeing anything. Looks like status quo, don't see an affordable subscription option, don't see a day one cloud option. 🤷‍♂️
Umm you know the deal haven't finalized and it is just an agreement pending regulatory approvals, and by that Bungie is still independent Bungie till the deal finalizes with no change at all.

adamsapple

I find really funny how you really think it will be offset by xcloud when people barely knows it exist and the ones that are using it are those that already have xbox consoles. Stop living in fantasy land.

I mean I really don't know what your end game here is, it's an MS first party game that's not releasing on PS5.

MS are marketing the hell out of game pass and it shouldn't take a genius to figure out they'll continue to do so as the year goes on and most Starfield material will be tagged with Game Pass and Xcloud branding. The whole point being to bring more eyes to it and get more people on board.

The only fantasy here is the arm chair analysis that somehow without one platform, that also has a small user base right now, the game will not be a success.

Last edited:

NickFire

Your dig at the other guy is absolute nonsense. Phil himself provided your metrics. He wants it to be the most played game produced by a single guy. It’s not rocket science how to test that.

Also, piss poor form to accuse someone of port begging because you disagree with facts.

DaGwaphics

U

Umm you know the deal haven't finalized and it is just an agreement pending regulatory approvals, and by that Bungie is still independent Bungie till the deal finalizes with no change at all.

You're the one that said Jimbo was out there practicing what he preaches. 🤷‍♂️

Swift_Star

Banned
I mean I really don't know what your end game here is, it's an MS first party game that's not releasing on PS5.

MS are marketing the hell out of game pass and it shouldn't take a genius to figure out they'll continue to do so as the year goes on and most Starfield material will be tagged with Game Pass and Xcloud branding. The whole point being to bring more eyes to it and get more people on board.

The only fantasy here is the arm chair analysis that somehow without one platform, that also has a small user base right now, the game will not be a success.
The endgame is growing Xbox marketshare. Phil should stop lying.

Top Bottom