• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer Interview - Halo Infinite and Xbox Games Showcase, Next in August

MrS

Banned
God damn Jenna looking fine.

Wonder if they'll announce price and final launch games. The console will be, what, 2 and a bit months out at that point?

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Phil needs to go. He is the king of hyping the fuck out of something and having it backfire

FrJO84TVsln1qaz_kNjWir0O-7DqvR7yQIHNu1IGppdIWBTDxx3u1duQLIydpvKQl_vOidqk1gqRR4xdVwgUSTNpLrfr1ihgNTC79jTiBn3x3kXCdL5Jc-5KZd-StUYf7EmafD2JIAWmE2QTKetVVXiAGA=w1200-h630-p-k-no-nu

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
New Halo footage.

The July footage was from Feb, apparently, so I guess we'll get something from the March build.
If they show this turd again, it better be actually running on XSX and not look worse than Xbox One games.

Grinchy

Banned
Maybe the next showing will have something actually running on a XSX. And if we're really lucky and eat our vegetables, they'll show us more CG teasers for games that have barely started development.

VAVA Mk2

Don Mattrick understood gaming better than him. MS should bring him back.
Mattrick fucks up any place he goes. He was at EA before. You don't want Mattrick bad. He was awful and nearly killed the XBox brand with his comments and smugness at E3 2013. Only worse that he jumped ship days after fucking over the XBox brand to an equivalent job at Zynga.

Ozzie666

Let's be realistic, Microsoft is going to let Phil see out the launch of the Xbox, 100%. Even if the Xbox performs as it did this gen or worse, he will still be there. As long as they keep making that service money, it's all profit. Sony may well outsell Microsoft 2 to 1 or even 3 to 1 on physical boxes. But long as they have 10m-15m subscriptions, it won't matter, they are making Bank. That's all the suits care about. It would take an extreme level of disaster and negative media pressure, beyond belief, for Phil to be let go.

Phil, love or hate him, is the face of Xbox who is successful where it counts, at least to the share holders.

Last edited:

VAVA Mk2

Let's be realistic, Microsoft is going to let Phil see out the launch of the Xbox, 100%. Even if the Xbox performs as it did this gen or worse, he will still be there. As long as they keep making that service money, it's all profit. Sony may well outsell Microsoft 2 to 1 or even 3 to 1 on physical boxes. But long as they have 10m-15m subscriptions, it won't matter, they are making Bank. That's all the suits care about. It would take an extreme level of disaster and negative media pressure, beyond belief, for Phil to be let go.

Phil, love or hate him, is the face of Xbox who is successful where it counts, at least to the share holders.
At the very least, Microsoft needs to ask Bonnie Ross to leave 343i after Halo Infinite launches. 343i is poorly managed since the get go. She needs to go. Read some reviews on Glassdoor for more insight.

pixelation

People forget, THIS event was the one that was supposed to turn the tide around (as a follow up to their laughable previous showing / following PS5's event). They weren't able to do that... now they have back to back lackluster showings, I really doubt that an August showing will turn things around... what could they possibly show? (purchasing WB would be great sure but what could they have to show for it?, CGI teaser for Rocksteady's next game?. Buying Nintendo?).

GHG

Gold Member
So now the narrative will shift to "wait for August"?

This is incredible to witness play out. Somebody needs to do a study about brand loyalty psychology based on this.

CitizenX

Banned
So now the narrative will shift to "wait for August"?

This is incredible to witness play out. Somebody needs to do a study about brand loyalty psychology based on this.

You are obviously a fan do you not know your YT community? If you looked up "wait until..." you would be flooded with MS fanits(can you say fanboys anymore?)

Vawn

Banned
Don Mattrick understood gaming better than him. MS should bring him back.

This. People so desperately want to believe Don Mattrick was the problem, because that would mean the problem was solved.

He clearly wasn't. Xbox saw a lot more success under Mattrick than has been seen under Spencer. It's been more than long enough to realize the problem was never a single person.

Last edited:
The only thing left for them is going out and grabbing a big third party exclusive at launch or near launch to try to soften the blow and make a news splash. There are plenty to pick - Batman, EA games, Ubisoft games etc etc.... It's gonna be expensive for them but that's their only recourse left. That will suck for Playstation fans for a year or so... at which point I don't think many will care about that game.

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
This. People so desperately want to believe Don Mattrick was the problem, because that would mean the problem was solved.

He clearly wasn't. Xbox saw a lot more success under Mattrick than has been seen under Spencer. It's been more than long enough to realize the problem was never a single person.

Honestly it's leading me to believe guys like Don Mattrick and Phil Spencer aren't really in charge of the Xbox division, they are just the front men. Look at how many interviews Spencer does ffs, how does he have time to actually run XGS if his day to day is full of interviews (and any associated media/PR training)? Who is actually pulling the strings?

There's nothing factual to back it up, but it's just my feeling.

J____Av

Thankfully Microsoft makes business decisions on factual numbers such as subscriptions and revenue...and not by reactive fanboys tweeting a line's worth of insigficant drivel.

You didnt like the show? Fine.
Move on. Grow up.

Yeah they have done a great job making money i guess. If thats what you care about that cool i guess

Patterson

Thankfully Microsoft makes business decisions on factual numbers such as subscriptions and revenue...and not by reactive fanboys tweeting a line's worth of insigficant drivel.

Move on. Grow up.
I think you kind of captured the essence on why many push back on Microsoft. With company’s like Sony and Nintendo, you feel like they’re passionate about making games where you feel Microsoft is most passionate about making money and answering to stock holders. EA is another one.

Reactions: GHG
Know what - Imma just wait until these consoles are actually out. This is dumb as hell. So much talking - nobody cares, your messaging sucks and your strategy sucks. Haven't shown a damn thing that couldn't be done on an xbox one. But that's the point? I guess? Man how can you be this out of touch.

Last edited:

SaucyJack

Move on. Grow up.

Yes, they do.

So be wary. What does this Gamepass play need to do to be profitable, because that’s what they’ll do.

And if it doesn’t come off ........

SaucyJack

I think you kind of captured the essence on why many push back on Microsoft. With company’s like Sony and Nintendo, you feel like they’re passionate about making games where you feel Microsoft is most passionate about making money and answering to stock holders. EA is another one.

It’s worth referring back to the Steve Jobs clip someone posted the other day - about companies that are run by sales and marketing people instead of product people.

JimiNutz

Banned
Please show off Halo Infinite MP urgently.

Full deep dive revealing all of the playlists and features that will be available at launch as well as the road map for the upcoming year.

At the moment Halo Infinite MP is my last hope. I dunno why I keep on giving MS chances but please don't let me down again.

At the very least, Microsoft needs to ask Bonnie Ross to leave 343i after Halo Infinite launches. 343i is poorly managed since the get go. She needs to go. Read some reviews on Glassdoor for more insight.
Jesus Christ, you weren't kidding!
I recommend everyone to read some of those reviews. Bonnie Ross has a 39% approval rate among them staff. Common complaints are management leadership only wanting to look good in front of higher-up a, not caring about staff. Abysmal communication tools. Tech debt, meaning creation tools are outdated. Some guy said they were working on it (slipspace), but wouldn't get done in time. Contract work making it so people have to hand in work before it's done.

Seriously, I've had such a bad feeling from Bonnie since the get go, this just cements it. One employee review stated he or she thinks they need to start entirely from scratch in order to fix the studio. Absolutely appalling.

Both MS and Sony know the other companies plans probably well. MS has kept at least one big announcement for August to counter whatever they're expecting from Sony (SOCOM, Silent Hill, GOW). I just don't care anymore. Currently browsing PC hardware..

No, they have explicitly said they were not done with acquisitions.

What are they gonna show? Games from other first party studios. You know most have more then a single team working on stuff.

Im interested in seeing new games or more of games we only had a teaser for. If you are more interested in not seeing games, you're in the wrong forum.

I am interested in seeing games with gameplay not cgi trailers and promises. Again Spencer and Greenberg both said this was their big show now their like "wait wait wait this wasn't the big one the next one is!" If this wasn't their big one why even bother with halo THEIR FLAGSHIP SERIES? Ms is passing down all of our backs and telling us its raining. Their messaging went from clear as fuck 3 months ago to now no one not even themselves know what to do or want.

VAVA Mk2

Both MS and Sony know the other companies plans probably well. MS has kept at least one big announcement for August to counter whatever they're expecting from Sony (SOCOM, Silent Hill, GOW). I just don't care anymore. Currently browsing PC hardware..
I am too. Gotta wait for Ampere announcement first though in August or September. Right now is a bad time to buy just like buying a new console until November or December.

Top Bottom