• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer Interview - Halo Infinite and Xbox Games Showcase! (iJustine video) ... new Xbox Event for August ???

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Phil Spencer
tenor.gif

Arkam

Can anyone pull up the list of MS 1st part studios and map of announced games. Would help us set expectations real quick I believe.

I just made my own :)

DISCLAIMER: This is just from wikipedia. So number of employees may be inaccurate as the source years range widley. But should give us an idea the number of teams.

StudioFoundedAcquiredEmployeesLast releaseRelease dateCurrent knownrelease dateCurrent knownrelease date
343 Industries2007450Halo 52015Halo Infinite2020
Compulsion Games2009201840We happy Few2018
Double Fine Productions2000201965Rad2019Psychonauts 22021
inXile Entertainment2002201870Bards Tale 42018Wasteland 32020
Mojang Studios2009201470Minecraft Dungeons2020
Ninja Theory20002018120Bleeding Edge2020HellBlade 2Project : Mara
Obsidian Entertainment20032018200Grounded2020Avowed
Playground Games20102018200Forza Horizon 42018Fable
Rare19852002200Sea of Thieves2018Battle ToadsEverwild
The Coalition2010200Gears 52019
The Initiative2018
Turn 10 Studios2001100Forza 72017Forza
Undead Labs2009201860State of Decay2018State of decay 2
World's Edge2019
Xbox Game Studios Publishing

Looking at that I think we should expect announcements from the following:
1 from Compulsion Games,
1 or 2 from The Coalition
1 from the initiative.
1 from World's Edge.

Last edited:

supernova8

Banned
lol iJustine. At one point she/they seemed to get confused between back-compat and cross-gen. Phil seemed to just ignore and talk about actual back-compat when she was actually asking about cross-gen.

To be fair her video quality is fantastic and it makes him look even more stupid with his Logitech webcam. It's a shame they don't just pay her a one-off consulting fee to get him fucking kitted out with some good camera and audio equipment. It really is not that hard to do.

Last edited:

fermcr

How far along do you think Fable, Avowed, Hellblade 2 (the engine they'll use isn't even available to them yet) and Everwild (they don't even know what type of game it is yet themselves) are?

They can't show gameplay for games where gameplay doesn't exist yet.

If they don't have anything to show about a game, then don't show it. Simply announce a game and show gameplay/screenshots when it's ready to be shown.
What's the point of CGI trailers? Does it really make a difference? They spend money and time making a CGI trailer for nothing.

I've never heard anybody say that they wouldn't purchase a game because it's CGI trailer was bad.

Psykodad

Banned
If they don't have anything to show about a game, then don't show it. Simply announce a game and show gameplay/screenshots when it's ready to be shown.
What's the point of CGI trailers? Does it really make a difference? They spend money and time making a CGI trailer for nothing.

I've never heard anybody say that they wouldn't purchase a game because it's CGI trailer was bad.
Battlefield 5?

Edit:

If MS would do what you say, you realize the only thing they could've shown from their studios is Halo Infinite, right?
All the other stuff is just CGI.

State of Decay is still in pre-production and the studio behind Everwild doesn't even know what kind of game they want to make.

Last edited:

Psykodad

Banned
I picked a free newspaper the other day at my workplace and it had Craig and halo infinite memes in it so 8ts not just here.
People really underestimate word of mouth. That's the major reason Playstation and Nintendo are such strong brands worldwide.
That's what creates the mindshare.

And now, with social media, any news spreads like wildfire.

Last edited:

Klayzer

Sorry, didn't know it was a cult and only verified members of said cult are allowed to voice their opinion.

Good grief. Everything wrong with what's going on in one post.
Just like only Xbox fans can have an opinion on Phil. Its amazing how some criticism of self inflicted screw ups, can cause these pissy reactions. Its absolutely true they like to dish it out, but when its their turn to be ridiculed, they want to cry about being trolled or Sonygaf or change the format.

You cant talk as much shit as Microsoft does and not think it wont be flung back at you when you slip up.

pawel86ck

Banned
I dont agree that they dont care. This is a huge undertaking to develop this game for potentially 5 different platforms. All the information we have shows that this is a mismanaged project with expectations that were too high for everyone from the studio to the fans.

Also the 500 million number has never been confirmed.
Leaks suggest there are serious developmental issues behind the scenes. If these leaks are true then 343 management clearly dont care about quality of their game.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Leaks suggest there are serious developmental issues behind the scenes. If these leaks are true then 343 management clearly dont care about quality of their game.

A game having trouble doesn't equal management not caring. There could be a multitude of different issues that can cause a game to fall apart/not live up to expectations.

kuncol02

Banned
I just made my own :)

DISCLAIMER: This is just from wikipedia. So number of employees may be inaccurate as the source years range widley. But should give us an idea the number of teams.

StudioFoundedAcquiredEmployeesLast releaseRelease dateCurrent knownrelease dateCurrent knownrelease date
343 Industries2007450Halo 52015Halo Infinite2020
Compulsion Games2009201840We happy Few2018
Double Fine Productions2000201965Rad2019Psychonauts 22021
inXile Entertainment2002201870Bards Tale 42018Wasteland 32020
Mojang Studios2009201470Minecraft Dungeons2020
Ninja Theory20002018120Bleeding Edge2020HellBlade 2Project : Mara
Obsidian Entertainment20032018200Grounded2020Avowed
Playground Games20102018200Forza Horizon 42018Fable
Rare19852002200Sea of Thieves2018Battle ToadsEverwild
The Coalition2010200Gears 52019
The Initiative2018
Turn 10 Studios2001100Forza 72017Forza
Undead Labs2009201860State of Decay2018State of decay 2
World's Edge2019
Xbox Game Studios Publishing

Looking at that I think we should expect announcements from the following:
1 from Compulsion Games,
1 or 2 from The Coalition
1 from the initiative.
1 from World's Edge.
InXile has one more game (VR so no XBox, unless...):

I wouldn't say that Grounded is "released".
Coalition is currently working on two titles for XSX (Gears Tactics and Gears 5 "remaster"), so i wouldn't expect anything from them.
Double Fine could show new game and there is chance that Forza Horizon 5 will be announced.

The Alien

Banned
So true, people on here think there is no outside would.. No one comes to gaming forums only a few.
I'd even wager there are less things each casual looks for when buying a new console. Price being the first and foremost, maybe an exclusive game or two...and maybe what their friends are getting.

Most casuals probably arent even aware of the recent XBox showcase and reactions to Halo, etc.

Halo games used to impress people with it's graphics (halo 4 was the best looking X360 game next to gears of war 3) and many people thought halo infinite will be a XSX power showcase.

Sure graphics in halo games is not everything but if developer dont care about graphics in their game at all, it tells me they also dont care about other aspects as well. Why levels in halo infinite reminds me minecraft? Why everything looks so static? Why AI in this game is even more stupid compared to halo 1? This game is shaping up to be a totall disaster and I cant believe MS has paid $500 million for something like that.

gameplay looked hella fun to me. Graphics looked shit. But I’d be playing co op anyway - these AI claims. Hard to make because it’s a demo specifically for a show. The claims on graphics are totally legitimate - but I played halo from the beginning. Yes it used to be a powerhouse. Then it wasn’t. Halo 2 for massively downgraded which pissed me off at the time. Halo 3 was the whole halo 2.6 debacle - halo 4 looked good but was basically a corridor shooter and the enemies sucked. Halo 5 looked like trash barely had a campaign, has you play as Locke most of the time and didn’t have couch co op (the worst offense out of all of it). So this to me looks a hell of a lot better than what they were doing fun wise - even halo 2s campaign was too corridor shooter and the space opera storyline I couldn’t have cared less about. So no, graphics don’t make or break this to me - because that was never why I played halo. It was definitely rad when the graphics were great but I don’t think delaying the game based off of that is a good move at all. Frankly I don’t get the 4k thing or the 60 FPS thing - that means nothing to me personally as I play casually. If it’s a fun game it’s a fun game, and I want to go around an open world halo with my friends at my place regardless of the damn graphical prowess.

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
Are you a fan? Because if not then shut your mouth and let actual fans speak.

Yes the majority are complaining about the visuals looking dated but for the actual gameplay and game itself everyones hyped since it looks more halo than the recent installments (including reach). More core halo than ever.

Lets tone it down a bit please.

Top Bottom