• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer further clarifies the nature of Bethesda exclusivity

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Do Sony have a huge first party game that they’ve release cross-platform? Because MS have Minecraft.

Do Sony release all of their first party games cross-platform? Because MS do with PC.

Has Sony just purchased a huge third party publisher at a price that factors in cross-platform sales? Because MS just did with Bethesda/Zenimax.

Stop pretending that these two companies operate the same. They are very different platforms with different strategies aimed at different end goals. Pretending to be naive of this fact does neither your argument nor your reputation any good. MS may well keep these IPs exclusive, but it won’t be because “well Sony does it!”

it will be interesting to see if Minecraft makes it to ps5

Lanrutcon

Worst case scenario they're offering their games on 2 of the 3 major platforms.

If Sony does the same, then I'm happy to start throwing rocks at MS.

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
People are acting like Phil is weasling out by not comitting to yes or no, but the truth is probably that they aren't 100 percent sure yet. Looks like they are heavily leaning no, but will be considered on a case by case basis like he said before.
Its a no, fam. He can't speak definitively until the deal is done. But, he's saying it now. People are just having a hard time grasping such a major acquisition.

Gavon West

At least a year. We don’t know what’s in the deal they had to keep, could be longer, could be never. And not deathloop without a dualsense. Unless you don’t mind a gimped version.
I think the deal is for a year for those two titles. Either way, they will come back over to the Xbox ecosystem, and there they will remain along with any other sequels. That's the point.

Redlight

Here's a bit of super extra clarification, from Jeremy Hinton, head of Xbox Asia (via Google Translate).

"Minecraft" is a little special case, and I think it should be considered separately from the platform called Xbox. The idea is that "Minecraft" is itself a platform. It's also used in educational institutions, and by the time we acquired Mojang, it was already on various platforms. "Minecraft" is a unique platform, and it is a sample of how to create a community, and in the TGS presentation, we showed a video focusing on the "Minecraft" community. Xbox has a slightly different idea from "Minecraft". Since Game Streaming and Game Pass are already compatible with mobiles and PCs, I feel that there is not much need to support other devices.

Last edited:

quest

Not Banned from OT
Here's a bit of super extra clarification, from Jeremy Hinton, head of Xbox Asia (via Google Translate).

"Minecraft" is a little special case, and I think it should be considered separately from the platform called Xbox. The idea is that "Minecraft" is itself a platform. It's also used in educational institutions, and by the time we acquired Mojang, it was already on various platforms. "Minecraft" is a unique platform, and it is a sample of how to create a community, and in the TGS presentation, we showed a video focusing on the "Minecraft" community. Xbox has a slightly different idea from "Minecraft". Since Game Streaming and Game Pass are already compatible with mobiles and PCs, I feel that there is not much need to support other devices.

Shocking I know they spent 7.5 to help out their ecosystem not Sony's lol.

FrankWza

Its a no, fam. He can't speak definitively until the deal is done. But, he's saying it now. People are just having a hard time grasping such a major acquisition.
I think the deal is for a year for those two titles. Either way, they will come back over to the Xbox ecosystem, and there they will remain along with any other sequels. That's the point.

you don’t know any of this except the bolded part. That’s the only thing that’s 100% . I’ve said I don’t think any more titles after these 2 will end up being on PS systems. But, the only thing they came out and confirmed was the exclusives for Sony. It is probably going to be that they make all future titles exclusives, maybe 90 or 99% probable or whatever. But you can’t close the door until they come out and say it. You’re looking at half a generation for some of these franchises to come out with a game. He’s gotta take a look at what’s coming and make that decision after the deal goes final. The doors still open a crack. Doesn’t mean anyone is hopeful, doesn’t mean anyone is expecting these games to go multiplat either. It just means HE hasn’t closed the door. And he had a couple of opportunities to do that.

odhiex

I wouldn't bet money in anything for the distant future, because anything is possible.

ES6 is possible as an Xbox exclusive, but it is also possible to stay multi-platforms.

Brofist

This seemed pretty much the case for any rational thinking people. Minecraft is it's own thing

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
people still thinking/discussing whether or not ES6 is coming to Playstation... lolz, if it was coming the man wouldve said so outright when asked, with the imminent launch of Next Gen hes saying feck all to upset the current goodwill towards the Xbox brand PLUS he's hoping to snag a few Sony jumpshippers who couldnt live without an ES6 plus my god lads its a Microsoft exclusive... get over it

Plenty of people here have and plenty of websites have too.

that already has happened and the year of exclusivity was pushed along with it. A deals a deal. But if they did attempt to keep the 2 exclusive games off of PS5 it would further cement my belief that it’s sticking in his craw. Otherwise, just let them have it. No big deal, right?
either way, Msoft spending 7.5 billion ends up a short term coup for Sony. They either get the exclusives during a crucial time, or, Msoft publicly goes back on their word and appear weak.

Nothing you're saying makes any sense. When MS made the deal with Zenimax, when they said they wouldn't keep people from playing the games, that NEVER meant bringing those games to PlayStation. That is something certain fans on the extreme fringes keep insisting, but that was never actually the case.

None of us have the contracts, so none of us know where those exclusivity periods are at now with the delays. Like I said, these companies operate on a whole other level when it comes to malleable contracts and making them work for their own self-interests. I would not be surprised if both Ghost Wire and Death Loop have shortened exclusivity periods. IIRC something similar happened with Capcom and the "Capcom 5" for the Gamecube way back in the day. RE4 was originally supposed to be a Gamecube exclusive, and contracts were established for this. However we all know what eventually happened: the PS2 version got listed and known before the Gamecube one came out (affecting Gamecube sales of the game), and the PS2 version came out only 9 months after the Gamecube one, with a ton of extra content, too.

A clear-as-day example that contracts can change anytime, so no, a deal actually ISN'T a deal (I mean, it kinda is when money is exchanged, but that can also change depending on if there's a bigger player involved with a lot more money involved. Which would be Microsoft in this case). We can go back even further, to when Nintendo reneged (publicly) on their deal with Sony for the original Nintendo Play Station add-on, as another example of contracts being broken quite often, massive ones in fact. The last part of your statements feel more like a rub or tongue-in-cheek if anything. It wasn't that long ago people were questioning how Microsoft were even going to compete with the timed exclusivity deals Sony were rumored to be making. And those rumors were running wild, to even speculating things like GTA6 being a timed exclusive. "Other people" around the internet were speculating this too, and a certain doom-and-gloom narrative was seemingly forming for Microsoft as a result.

So you had a lot of those same people, wondering how Microsoft would compete. They just got an answer they aren't comfortable with, because it reinforces to them that in reality, if Microsoft wants to, they can easily outspend a company like Sony in netting virtually any major developer, publisher, or 3P exclusive content. It's arguable if Sony's rumored aggressive dealmakings stirred stuff like the Zenimax deal (keep in mind, MS were discussing this with them back in 2018), but they probably helped reinforce the push for seeing those deals go through.

Then of course the narrative changed again, to Microsoft obtaining a monopoly (they didn't), and just buying their way to exclusive content (Sony did the exact same thing with the original PlayStation, way back in 1994). The narrative is constantly in flux, in a sense. Regardless, they seemingly answered those concerns from others and while Sony are certainly looking to obtain some studios and content of their own, people should just keep in mind if any of that involves particularly big players, they'll have companies like Microsoft, Amazon, Google etc. in those discussions as well, and chances are more likely one of those three win out in those bidding processes. It's just capitalism at work.

EDIT: Also, there's a flimsy argument that in order for Microsoft to make back the money on the Zenimax deal, they need to support the PlayStation ecosystem with that content. That seemed like a stretch considering the nature of the deal, but it turns out that notion isn't true at all.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/09/04/pentagon-says-it-will-stick-with-microsoft-for-jedi-cloud-contract.html

Apparently MS was making a contract with the Pentagon for $10 billion last year. Amazon got involved and the proceedings were paused, but as recently as last month the Pentagon decided to go with Microsoft and IIRC the deal is pretty much settled now, though there's probably still some proceedings to go through.

Basically, this deal alone covers the entire Zenimax purchase and then some. I reckon Disney wish they had such things in place when they purchased Star Wars (you could say they technically did thanks to the Marvel films, but I dunno how much net profit they actually brought in on those).

Last edited:

devilNprada

people still thinking/discussing whether or not ES6 is coming to Playstation... lolz, if it was coming the man wouldve said so outright when asked, with the imminent launch of Next Gen hes saying feck all to upset the current goodwill towards the Xbox brand PLUS he's hoping to snag a few Sony jumpshippers who couldnt live without an ES6 plus my god lads its a Microsoft exclusive... get over it

Seems an expensive way just to pick up a couple million Game Pass subcribtions..
Their real competition already has 112 million prime subscribers and are sitting on over 2 billion cell phones.....

Bethesda even with it's 100 million game copies sold (combined) is still a very small step toward that... And will get smaller when they don't release it on as much hardware as they can.

We may see it differently if we make two assumptions:

1) Physical consoles won't exist forever...
2) Stadia and Luna won't always suck..

PS/XBox fanboy wars is small thinking.. MS can't afford to think like that, or they loose to google.. Again!
I think a lot of people here make a long term strategy option, and are not so much being delusional fanboys.

No real TES fan wants to play it on the PS5 believe me.....

Last edited:

FrankWza

I actually feel sorry for you; because the truth isn't fitting your narrative, you'd rather choose to remain ignorant. It's the freedom of your choice, though.

damn, may as well wish death upon me. I feel ive thrown you for a loop perhaps. May as well ghost me if you’re going to have skin that is wire thin. ;)

You can feel sorry for me when I’m playing the 2 exclusives courtesy of Msoft.

Forsythia

damn, may as well wish death upon me. I feel ive thrown you for a loop perhaps. May as well ghost me if you’re going to have skin that is wire thin. ;)

Boy, you're sure hung up about these 2 timed exclusives. 🤣 Xbox only gamers can wait just fine, at least we'll get the games eventually, unlike TES6, DOOM3, WOLF3, Starfield and whatever Xbox exclusive, which will never release on PlayStation.

And Phil won't lose any sleep about these timed exclusives. He just made a massive deal with full support of Nadella, while everyone was saying Xbox was doomed. And even more is coming.

To the people asking why he isn't confirming it now:

Why would he? He can only say "They're all exclusive" once. That's it. Would you rather say it after a gameplay trailer on a big stage or fart it into the room with no gameplay footage? Why take on all the negativity now? It makes no sense. Just slowly let it sink it over time until you fully reveal the games. Exactly what he is doing now.

Judging by this thread and the millions of articles about it, everyone and their mother will watch their next conference, eyes glued to the screen to finally get an answer.

They confirmed Minecraft for PS4 on the same day they purchased Mojang. Them being cagey about it tells you all you need to know.

Last edited:
Plenty of people here have and plenty of websites have too.

that already has happened and the year of exclusivity was pushed along with it. A deals a deal. But if they did attempt to keep the 2 exclusive games off of PS5 it would further cement my belief that it’s sticking in his craw. Otherwise, just let them have it. No big deal, right?
either way, Msoft spending 7.5 billion ends up a short term coup for Sony. They either get the exclusives during a crucial time, or, Msoft publicly goes back on their word and appear weak.

Making this deal with Bethesda was the biggest burn Sony got since the ps3 days. You seem to be making it up as some positive.

Sure, they got a timed exclusive deal for two games but what then? What happens if those games bomb? Sony paid for a blunder. Well done.
What happens if they are a massive success? Thanks Sony for partially funding them. Won't be seeing them on any PS platform afterwards.

There is no scenario where Sony comes out on top with those games.

Thanks for exposing your biases through your responses today. Sad that I thought you could actually think outside that lane, try to see things from a logistical real-world business perspective with past precedents (and outside of just simple this console/that console banter), when this is your fallback.

Hopefully you mature sometime when you're playing those games on your precious console of choice...maybe.... And if by some probable chance you don't get those games there, I hope you can handle it well. But these responses of yours don't indicate that'd be the case :S

FrankWza

Boy, you're sure hung up about these 2 timed exclusives. 🤣 Xbox only gamers can wait just fine, at least we'll get the games eventually, unlike TES6, DOOM3, WOLF3, Starfield and whatever Xbox exclusive, which will never release on PlayStation.

And Phil won't lose any sleep about these timed exclusives. He just made a massive deal with full support of Nadella, while everyone was saying Xbox was doomed. And even more is coming.
It’ll be years before those games are out. Meanwhile Sony gets 2 exclusives that will sell more systems. But you got me with that deal. I put that stuff on all kinds of bread. Toast, even ice cream.

Thanks for exposing your biases through your responses today. Sad that I thought you could actually think outside that lane, try to see things from a logistical real-world business perspective with past precedents (and outside of just simple this console/that console banter), when this is your fallback.

Hopefully you mature sometime when you're playing those games on your precious console of choice...maybe.... And if by some probable chance you don't get those games there, I hope you can handle it well. But these responses of yours don't indicate that'd be the case :S

;)

The Fuzz damn you!

Gold Member
We can go back even further, to when Nintendo reneged (publicly) on their deal with Sony for the original Nintendo Play Station add-on, as another example of contracts being broken quite often, massive ones in fact.
That was not a broken contract, Nintendo just availed themselves of an exit clause. There is a difference. An actual breach of contract (which seems to be your context here) would involve a lawsuit and we’d know about it.
Basically, this deal alone covers the entire Zenimax purchase and then some.
That $10 billion is over 10 years, and it’s not the DoD just handing MS money. They have to provide a high performance, high security cloud infrastructure platform for that money. It’s profitable no doubt, but nowhere near $10 billion profitable, not even over 10 years. Also, of course, that has nothing to do with any of this. Having cash to spend is great, but MS isn’t going to say “we have money over here, so let’s just throw money away over there because we have so much of it we just don’t give a shit.” If they are spending money, it is to make that money back and more.

Good post though.

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
Having cash to spend is great, but MS isn’t going to say “we have money over here, so let’s just throw money away over there because we have so much of it we just don’t give a shit.” If they are spending money, it is to make that money back and more.
Its more like LinkedIn and Github purchases. Buying them was not just meant at getting cash back the conventional way, it was to add more value to their existing services. In this context service does not just mean Game Pass, but also the entire Xbox ecosystem. Its also wrong to just add Game Pass subscribers to calculate how much Xbox division makes, since majority of the profit actually comes from game sales in the Xbox store and majority Bethesda sales come from PC, so I don't get why Playstation sales are so relevant(every game will sell more as a multi-platform game anyway). Microsoft also sees this as a way to future proof their gaming division rather than to use desperate measures to get the money back(they don't need to be desperate in the first place).
Unless they come out of their way to say upcoming Bethesda games will be multi-platform like they did with Minecraft, we will assume the usual like their other acquisitions(none of those times they had to inform us these new studios will make exclusives). Conversely they actually told us that Minecraft is different from other studio purchases(grouping Bethesda with them instead).

Last edited:
The most ironic thing that tons of sony fanboys were claiming that you can play Xbox games on PC, they are not exclusive. So...We are waiting :messenger_fire:

The Fuzz damn you!

Gold Member
Its more like LinkedIN and Github purchases. Buying them was not just meant at getting cash back the conventional way, it was to add more value to their existing services.
Oh, I agree. Neither company makes purchases purely to earn money from software sales, but MS’s plans clearly extend much further than Sony’s. MS entered the console race to protect their desktop market, worried that focus would shift to the living room (and completely missing the phone revolution along the way) and they’ve been aiming for a thin-client model since the mid Nineties with WebTV and fucking over Netscape. This is all a continuation of that inevitable path — GamePass as a model to push xcloud long-term. I just don’t think that TES and Fallout (and whatever else) are necessarily the best way to spend $7.5 billion towards that aim. It only makes sense, IMO, if they suddenly decided they need these games as exclusives sooner than they expected, otherwise they could build their own new studios and throw a billion dollars at five new IPs each and still save $2.5 billion. Spending that much to keep these games away from Sony and Nintendo while profiting off the IPs? Well... maybe,

Honestly, nothing MS has done here makes sense to me. Obviously they have reasons for what they’re doing here and the next 5 years will be incredibly fascinating to watch play out. I just think it’s idiotic to claim to know the intentions of a company taking such unprecedented steps within an established industry that’s on the brink of a fundamental shift in operations.

Ps5ProFoSho

What you have to ask yourself is: was there a game that I wanted to play so bad I HAD to buy the other console?
If the answer is yes, these games will be exclusive

The answer is yes

Last edited:
I just don’t think that TES and Fallout (and whatever else) are necessarily the best way to spend $7.5 billion towards that aim.
They have established themselves as brands or franchises. Just like Playstation. And the brands - the names - sell.
In fact, the most successful games have always been well-established franchises - TES, GTA, FIFA, NBA, COD, Mario...Those are not just games, they are the BRANDS. And even great and well-known games like TLOU failed to become franchises that could move the media.

People will buy Playstation in any case - it really needs to fail one or two generations straight to lose the goodwill (like Fallout for example and even it will sell anyway). And so are TES, GTA, FIFA - people will go and buy those games. Because they are the brands.

Honestly, nothing MS has done here makes sense to me. Obviously they have reasons for what they’re doing here and the next 5 years will be incredibly fascinating to watch play out. I just think it’s idiotic to claim to know the intentions of a company taking such unprecedented steps within an established industry that’s on the brink of a fundamental shift in operations.
Bethesda was bought because it owns brands and has a lot of studios + one of those rare cases where it is a private company.

I fully expect some deal with SEGA (I have the rough idea regarding Sega though, but I am not sure) and Valve next.

Last edited:

MrFunSocks

Banned
It's amazing that people think that MS bought Zenimax simply to bring in revenue from software sales. I've got news for you - Microsoft don't need more revenue. Have any of you ever even looked at Microsofts financials? They don't need revenue from PS5 game sales, that's pointless and would be a drop in the ocean to them. They don't need it or want it. Purchasing Zenimax was 100% about bringing value to their services via exclusive games. They got a bunch of proven and loved IP, but more importantly they got like 8 ready to go dev studios to go with those franchises that they can now have focus on releasing a steady stream of exclusive games on game pass. Remember, they publicly said way back when game pass launched that their aim was to have at least 1 AAA game launch on game pass every quarter, every year. 4 AAA games a year minimum, straight to game pass. With 23 studios that's now a possibility.

You will not see their games on Playstation.

Last edited:
It's amazing that people think that MS bought Zenimax simply to bring in revenue from software sales. I've got news for you - Microsoft don't need more revenue. Have any of you ever even looked at Microsofts financials? They don't need revenue from PS5 game sales, that's pointless and would be a drop in the ocean to them. They don't need it or want it. Purchasing Zenimax was 100% about bringing value to their services via exclusive games. They got a bunch of proven and loved IP, but more importantly they got like 8 ready to go dev studios to go with those franchises that they can now have focus on releasing a steady stream of exclusive games on game pass. Remember, they publicly said way back when game pass launched that their aim was to have at least 1 AAA game launch on game pass every quarter, every year. 4 AAA games a year minimum, straight to game pass. With 23 studios that's now a possibility.

You will not see their games on Playstation.

Finally someone that lives in real earth and not in dreamland.

Gavon West

I wouldn't bet money in anything for the distant future, because anything is possible.

ES6 is possible as an Xbox exclusive, but it is also possible to stay multi-platforms.
Not a fucking chance it goes multiplatform.

What is it with people feeling entitled to Ip's that were bought for $7.5 billion dollars? Its bizarre people keep thinking Microsoft paid all that money to still keep that publishing arm multi platform. As if their going to just have Bethesda keep making games for a competitor. Literally the ONLY way Sony or Nintendo see anymore Bethesda IP is if they allow Gamepass on their consoles.

They bought Zenimax to bolster the brand, to give fans and gamers confidence in the brand and attract new gamers over. Giving Sony or anyone else any dibs on those Ip's (aside from maybe TESO) is the EXACT opposite of that.

I cant believe how quickly the narrative changed from "Xbox has no games" to "Hopefully Xbox puts their games on my favorite console". Lol. Madness.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
We may see it differently if we make two assumptions:

1) Physical consoles won't exist forever...
2) Stadia and Luna won't always suck..
You were sounding smart with item one, but then you blew it. Stadia is already dead and Luna will likey follow suit. Hell, even Google has given up on Stadia as they released their new Chromecast with Stadia support.

Last edited:

odhiex

Not a fucking chance it goes multiplatform.

What is it with people feeling entitled to Ip's that were bought for $7.5 billion dollars? Its bizarre people keep thinking Microsoft paid all that money to still keep that publishing arm multi platform. As if their going to just have Bethesda keep making games for a competitor. Literally the ONLY way Sony or Nintendo see anymore Bethesda IP is if they allow Gamepass on their consoles.

They bought Zenimax to bolster the brand, to give fans and gamers confidence in the brand and attract new gamers over. Giving Sony or anyone else any dibs on those Ip's (aside from maybe TESO) is the EXACT opposite of that.

I cant believe how quickly the narrative changed from "Xbox has no games" to "Hopefully Xbox puts their games on my favorite console". Lol. Madness.

Sure, we shall see (ES6) in 2023 at the earliest, after that Starfield game released. I still would not bet any money on it tho.

Andodalf

Banned
Too lazy to type again/falling asleep but this is what Phil talk about on a Zoom that I was on.

Nah, the only way that would really come into play is if Starfield was to release before the acquisition took place. Theoretically possible but very unlikely. Even then Beth is completely within it's rights as a private company to release the game on whatever platform it wants to. A company deciding to work to best facilitate an acquisition is in no way a violation of Anti Trust laws. Phil doesn't have to tell them to stop working on a PS5 version for them to decide to do so.

MrFunSocks

Banned
Too lazy to type again/falling asleep but this is what Phil talk about on a Zoom that I was on.

When Zenimax are a microsoft owned company then no, there is no "anti trust" if Microsoft choose not to release their game on an opposing console lol.

I swear 99% of the people that throw around the terms like anti-trust and monopoly actually have zero idea what they mean.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
At least a year. We don’t know what’s in the deal they had to keep, could be longer, could be never. And not deathloop without a dualsense. Unless you don’t mind a gimped version.

Edit: fuck this shit. I have more dignity than this guy.

Last edited:

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA

4j9v2k.jpg

(sorry for new post instead of editing previous though. But it was worth it right?)

Last edited:

FrankWza

Something went clearly wrong when your Mother and your Father planned you!!! :D
I actually feel sorry for you; because the truth isn't fitting your narrative, you'd rather choose to remain ignorant. It's the freedom of your choice, though.
Edit: fuck this shit. I have more dignity than this guy.
He's a little kid whining with his fingers in his ears. Not worth it
Neither. Phil is a business man, and respect the deals.

How could you say something like that to the love of your life? Why do you assume that your lover would go out with Mr Xbox?

Or maybe you are into that stuff Mr cuck?

Fuck, I'm turning... Need to get away from this shit...
Can someone please make us a ps5 dev kit going into the trash pic?
I’m here for the PS5 exclusives.

schaft0620

When Zenimax are a microsoft owned company then no, there is no "anti trust" if Microsoft choose not to release their game on an opposing console lol.

I swear 99% of the people that throw around the terms like anti-trust and monopoly actually have zero idea what they mean.

One of us was on the Zoom call with Phil and Gabe and one of us wasn't.

MrFunSocks

Banned
So you were one of the 350+ people on there? What did they say? Is there a Xbox and steam deal?

Surely you didn’t just post that to vague book and try and get attention......

Last edited:

NickFire

I cannot vouch for what you say, but if what you say is true it would be a brilliant PR move by Phil / MS.

1) Buy company to make waves after Halo is delayed.
2) Say literally nothing about whether the big games will be console exclusive so that people will tell themselves they all will be.
3) Cheekily answer one question about not needing to go multiplatform to recoup investment so that people will keep telling themselves what they want to hear.
4) Sell as many units as possible on all consoles, then deflect the rage from Xbox only peeps with a nod towards staying away from monopoly trouble.

End Result: Made wave, sold consoles, and still make as much money as possible off a 7.5 Billion dollar investment. Side benefit - the investment retains its value since it retains all prior good will and fans.

Top Bottom