• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer further clarifies the nature of Bethesda exclusivity

scalman

yes make more games , make them faster , and as allways there was PC+PS console , so nothing changes here ... ill play all those on PC and thats just that nothing more to it there .. yes make more games for us to play .. dont bring them to sony console ? dont care ... PC will do all. and will do all cracks too . ouch

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
If one has to keep further clarifying something, there is still so much ambiguity in the messages.

I just find it hilarious or the best way to admit someone wrote it for you and you are reading your speechwriter PR approved message when you state what your thought on the matter is and conclude it with “Whatever that means”.
YOU said it, you are supposed to know what it means ;).

Last edited:
yes make more games , make them faster , and as allways there was PC+PS console , so nothing changes here ... ill play all those on PC and thats just that nothing more to it there .. yes make more games for us to play .. dont bring them to sony console ? dont care ... PC will do all. and will do all cracks too . ouch
You seem very spiteful for someone who has nothing to worry about. Also cracks? How is it any different from used games? At least someone who uses a cracked version might buy a legit copy someday for the convenience and to support the game, someone who buys used will never give money to the dev because their used disc copy is "legit" as far as the console player is concerned.

Same shit, everyone has a pc to play these games, but are butthurt for "reasons". "No one ever needs to buy an Xbox because their exclusives are on pc, urgh motherfuckers hope people steal their shit." Retards. I assume you also want people to use the cracked versions of Horizon and Death Stranding? Ouch.

Last edited:

Shmunter

Highly doubt that's how MS would see it.. "well now we must release on Playstation."

MS has no interest in being yet another 3rd party publisher; the money is in platforms and selling tech.

If their platforms and tech don't become massive, they'll almost certainly just exit the industry IMO. They were being pushed that direction not that long ago, and they'll get pushed back if xCloud doesn't become huge... and I mean huge, not just "well some people who are already Xbox gamers use it."
Some established franchises are just to valuable to not publish wide. Precedent being Minecraft. Bethesda games will be a gamepass pusher, with bespoke sales on PlayStation, possibly time delayed.

Microsoft get their gamepass value message across, while still subsidising their investment. Should PlayStation falter and Xbox takes over, that may change.

Last edited:

FrankWza

Just curious, do Sony or Nintendo officially announce that their 1st party games will definitively not be on other platforms.

If they did, they would wait until those studios stop making exclusive games for another console manufacturer. Just because it would make them look bad. But that doesn’t usually happen, so why are we even talking about it?

Zenimax acquisition could purely be to bolster GP, so that's no evidence.

And whatever it is they've got planned for GP, it's obviously a long term strategy. OBVIOUSLY they couldn't bow out of the console business NOW, because the compelling game line up they'll eventually have for GP isn't ready yet. They wouldn't have the leverage to go to Sony and say, look, let us put GP on PlayStation or you'll miss out on all these titles.

So clearly whatever their plans they needed to release this generation of console.

I'm not even saying this is what will happen, just trying to explain why it's not as unlikely as it might seem. I don't think that merits the kind of obnoxious responses you've offered.

Hmm, still seems very unlikely to me.
Tin foil hat time:

Microsoft bought bethesda on the high because rival trillion dollar company amazon was sniffing around for a publisher to buy. Its not coincidence that the zenimax acquisition was announced the same week Luna from amazon was announced. Microsoft has already said they see google and amazon as their competitors in terms of cloud streaming services. Console gaming IE xbox, nintendo, sony will become a neutral to microsoft like PC is to most publishers and eventually port most if not all of their games to console. Maybe some games will be timed exclusive or have exclusive dlc, but thats as far as i think Microsoft is willing to go with it. The deal doesn't even go through until next year, do you think all those studios just suddenly through their ps5 devkits in the trash? I think not.

You’re right about Amazon being their competitor, but that means they want to make Xbox/GP/xCloud indispensable and this purchase was intended to do that. No chance that these games will release on anything but MS platforms. They wouldn’t spend 7.5 billion to worry about porting to other consoles.

The Fuzz damn you!

Gold Member
Just curious, do Sony or Nintendo officially announce that their 1st party games will definitively not be on other platforms.
Do Sony have a huge first party game that they’ve release cross-platform? Because MS have Minecraft.

Do Sony release all of their first party games cross-platform? Because MS do with PC.

Has Sony just purchased a huge third party publisher at a price that factors in cross-platform sales? Because MS just did with Bethesda/Zenimax.

Stop pretending that these two companies operate the same. They are very different platforms with different strategies aimed at different end goals. Pretending to be naive of this fact does neither your argument nor your reputation any good. MS may well keep these IPs exclusive, but it won’t be because “well Sony does it!”

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Do Sony have a huge first party game that they’ve release cross-platform? Because MS have Minecraft.

Do Sony release all of their first party games cross-platform? Because MS do with PC.

Has Sony just purchased a huge third party publisher at a price that factors in cross-platform sales? Because MS just did with Bethesda/Zenimax.

Stop pretending that these two companies operate the same. They are very different platforms with different strategies aimed at different end goals. Pretending to be naive of this fact does neither your argument nor your reputation any good. MS may well keep these IPs exclusive, but it won’t be because “well Sony does it!”
Again with Minecraft? It's a broken record in here. Minecraft is an anomaly. That's obvious for so many reasons myself and many others have already spoken to ad nauseum. I'm glad you all are interested in Xbox games though.

Last edited:

FrankWza

Again with Minecraft? It's a broken record in here. Minecraft is an anomaly. That's obvious for so many reasons myself and many others have already spoken to ad nauseum. I'm glad you all are interested in Xbox games though.

I’m here for the PS5 exclusives.

Last edited:

FrankWza

You mean those 2 Xbox Games Studios games? MS appreciates your support.

yes. The 2(TWO) PS5 exclusives brought to us by xbox games studios. I appreciate getting 2 games 2 years before they get one for themselves. After I get my games you can keep the rest.

quickwhips

I’m here for the PS5 exclusives.
tenor.gif

longdi

Banned
If one has to keep further clarifying something, there is still so much ambiguity in the messages.

Im sure gamer Phil will want to reach as wide an audience possible. Built from ground up on Xbox, port/outsourced to non-Xbox hardware 9 months later.

But he is also CEO Phil, and you don't borrow 7.5b from shareholders and not be ruthless with it.

I guess his advisors and colleagues have to nudge him back inline with corporate objectives :messenger_weary:

Redlight

These threads just keep on going, don't they?

Lots and lots of people scrambling to construct ever more unlikely scenarios, all so that they can pretend that they still get to play these titles on PS5.

To me it proves that MS made exactly the right move with this acquisition. Sony fans want these games, some desperately so, but they will have to buy into the MS eco-system to get them. In the end, quite a few will.

That's a pretty solid play from MS.

quest

Not Banned from OT
These threads just keep on going, don't they?

Lots and lots of people scrambling to construct ever more unlikely scenarios, all so that they can pretend that they still get to play these titles on PS5.

To me it proves that MS made exactly the right move with this acquisition. Sony fans want these games, some desperately so, but they will have to buy into the MS eco-system to get them. In the end, quite a few will.

That's a pretty solid play from MS.
It was the only play for a few reasons. With jimbo buying zenimax games as timed exclusives left and right it was more economical to do this than outbid Sony on a smaller ecosystem. To Keep Amazon and Google from making the purchase. Lastly to bring good news to a lack luster launch and a endless bad news cycle. This will pay off in 12 to 18 months when star field hits. Sony wanted it badly so I'm assuming it showed great behind closed doors and is coming sooner than later.

longdi

Banned
Yap Phil has taken things up 2 notches or more. Going into next gen, Xbox has to be the dark favourites horse to sweep things, what ever that means. They struggled for mind share with this gen, but have assembled a winning cast in hardware and software. They're in an enviable position headed by a great CEO.

quest

Not Banned from OT
Yap Phil has taken things up 2 notches or more. Going into next gen, Xbox has to be the dark favourites horse to sweep things, what ever that means. They struggled for mind share with this gen, but have assembled a winning cast in hardware and software. They're in an enviable position headed by a great CEO.
Phil has done great once he got proper funding. He just has to find a way to keep things afloat while the armada of first party games start dropping in 2022.

longdi

Banned
Remember Edge or was it The Guardian, that splashed 'PS4 is your next gen console'? That's the mind share damage that plagued XBO through the generation. I like to see their take this Nov, if they will revisit such drama.

oldergamer

As in, whatever it means they need to do to make it work for them... Please don't derail the thread man.
Exactly. It's was "whatever it means for them to make it work". There's clarifying a statement, and then there is simply understanding the context things are said. Some people with agendas will fail to see the obvious in that statement, and try to turn it into a negative.

Thinking about it logically, access to a much bigger part of the PC market via MS owning Windows, including a fraction of Mobile (having access to games without having to own an xbox or PC is now a realistic consideration with xcloud), and xbox by itself (despite being in the 50 million unit range previously), is a much bigger market share to target, then going it alone on PC, Xbox, and Playstation combined. I'd take a bet that there wasn't a large variance between both PS4 & Xbox sales numbers, despite PS4 having many more units sold to the public. Simply meaning they always had higher sales on PC as a whole.

I'm sure a few will try to pick apart my statement, but when you look at it in terms of market growth, did bethesda really see a significant projected market growth for their games on consoles, compared to the potential growth on PC, Mobile, and Tablet for future titles? What I mean is, despite sony having over 120 million units units sold on the PS4, how many titles did anyone see sell to 25% of the PS4 market? I'd take an educated guess at 1 game getting close to that mark (GTA 5 and that released in 2014). Fact is sony outside a few of the first part titles, doesn't do a great job pushing games to the overall PS4 market. Perhaps a lot of it fell on the store or, the more traditional route of how they spend advertising dollars. Who knows.

I'd wager bethesda didn't see single game sales hit more then 3% of the PS4 user base (probably less) with Xbox trailing behind that, but not proportionally based on the console user base.

Last edited:
Well you have to keep in mind the sale isn't final yet. Next March he'll most likely be able to speak more freely. One thing is certain, Xbox is all about Game Pass. If putting games on PS increases Game Pass subs you'll see more PS games. If it doesn't you won't.

GloveSlap

People are acting like Phil is weasling out by not comitting to yes or no, but the truth is probably that they aren't 100 percent sure yet. Looks like they are heavily leaning no, but will be considered on a case by case basis like he said before.

oldergamer

If you look at the numbers listed for steamspy:

outside of Fallout76, elderscrolls online, and lastly fallout shelter on mobile, bethesda hasn't had a lot of titles that have made a dent in the market since 2017.

They have done ok with Quake and Doom. Failed with a number of VR titles (no surprise for the VR market) but haven't released anything big (only updates and special additions) to the elder scrolls.

Looking forward, they have the some really big titles in the upcoming new Elderscrolls game, Starfield, Fallout (providing they fix the problems they had on 76) + any other new franchises they are looking at in the RPG market (They could in theory use other properties that MS owns for future RPG's). When those RPG's hit they will be big.

MilkyJoe

Still not coming to PlayStation though...

Redlight

If you look at the numbers listed for steamspy:

outside of Fallout76, elderscrolls online, and lastly fallout shelter on mobile, bethesda hasn't had a lot of titles that have made a dent in the market since 2017.

They have done ok with Quake and Doom. Failed with a number of VR titles (no surprise for the VR market) but haven't released anything big (only updates and special additions) to the elder scrolls.

Looking forward, they have the some really big titles in the upcoming new Elderscrolls game, Starfield, Fallout (providing they fix the problems they had on 76) + any other new franchises they are looking at in the RPG market (They could in theory use other properties that MS owns for future RPG's). When those RPG's hit they will be big.
I don't think Arkane and Machine get anywhere near enough love in these discussions. Both Dishonored games and Prey were absolute knockouts for me, all three 10/10. I'm hopeful any future games of theirs will get the exposure they deserve simply from the fact that they'll be on Gamepass. The Wolfenstein games have also been rock solid.

I'm more excited for new output from those studios than I am about Fallout or Elder Scrolls (though Starfield's got my attention :)).

I don't think Arkane and Machine get anywhere near enough love in these discussions. Both Dishonored games and Prey were absolute knockouts for me, all three 10/10. I'm hopeful any future games of theirs will get the exposure they deserve simply from the fact that they'll be on Gamepass. The Wolfenstein games have also been rock solid.

I'm more excited for new output from those studios than I am about Fallout or Elder Scrolls (though Starfield's got my attention :)).

I'm more interested in a Prey 2 than anything else from Bethesda, just don't like holding my breath for things that may never occur.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
I still think Elder Scrolls is 4+ years away

Thanks. This clarifies everything regarding if it will be exclusive or not.

Sometimes all ps owners all have a PC. Sometimes they don't.

Sometimes they Diss the PC for piracy, sometimes they do it themselves lol.

Last edited:

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
IGN Japan's interview with Jeremy Hinton, head of Xbox Asia.

"Minecraft" is a little special case, and I think it should be considered separately from the platform called Xbox. The idea is that "Minecraft" is itself a platform. It's also used in educational institutions, and by the time we acquired Mojang, it was already on various platforms. "Minecraft" is a unique platform, and it is a sample of how to create a community, and in the TGS presentation, we showed a video focusing on the "Minecraft" community. Xbox has a slightly different idea from "Minecraft". Since Game Streaming and Game Pass are already compatible with mobiles and PCs, I feel that there is not much need to support other devices.

Tiamat2san

Stage 1:
They will release this game on PS5!
They can’t pass on millions of consoles...
Bla-bla-bla....

When stage 1 fails...

Stage 2:
Bethesda is shitty company, they make no games I like.
They didn’t release a good game since Skyrim
Bla-bla-bla....

a few years later....

Stage 3?:
Those deals are quite good for the series X...I’ll take one year of gamepass for $12, MS you won’t have my money!

FrankWza

I will enjoy them on Game Pass 6 months later.

At least a year. We don’t know what’s in the deal they had to keep, could be longer, could be never. And not deathloop without a dualsense. Unless you don’t mind a gimped version.

Last edited:

Hendrick's

At least a year. We don’t know what’s in the deal they had to keep, could be longer, could be never. And not deathloop without a dualsense. Unless you don’t mind a gimped version.
I honestly have no interest in those games, but I still think they will hit Game Pass not later than a year after PS5. As for the Dualsense functionality, they can simply deactivate the triggers instead of locking them.

Last edited:

FrankWza

I honestly have no interest in those games, but I still think they will hit Game Pass not later than a year after PS5. As for the Dualsense functionality, they can simply deactivate the triggers instead of locking them.

I agree. The first games xb owners will get to enjoy from the 7.5 billion dollar purchase will be games made for PS5 way before any other games release from 8 studios. And what if the dualsense triggers are the new psycho mantis PS1? Do you really want to miss out on that?

Jokerevo

Banned
This acquisition is part of a much bigger strategy that will ultimately see gamepass becoming platform agnostic.

reasons

1) EA play joined gamepass....largely overlooked but their sports stable is a draw which EA could have handled on their own. By going in early they are in a much stronger negotiating position because MS wants more games.

2) On the day of the acquisition MS did not immediately announce that the Zenimax stable would be Xbox exclusive. You have your preorder day and you DON'T DROP THIS MEGATON? Why? Because $$$$ talks. Notice how Phil is wording his replies on this matter, there's nothing definitive in his statements in case he has to be walked back. If you really wanted to make a statement you say...ES6 ONLY ON XBOX. BUT THEY DIDN'T. Because the shareholders....because $$$$ because long term strategyyyyyyy....

3) MS repeating this narrative of we want our games to be played everywhere means devices don't matter anymore

4) the mobile strategy - different eco, same objectives...

5) recouping the $$$$ will entail capture of rival markets....so Gamepass appears on Sony and Nintendo (not this gen mind)

6) MS wants to become the Netflix of games....running on any device, wherever and whenever you like. Games as a service keeps it digital, keeps the user tied to an ecosystem and the fundamental perception of "Value" is reinforced with repeated acquisitions. It's a neverending cash cow provided they reach critical mass and they cannot achieve it without the help of Sony/Nintendo.

7) MS can't beat Sony at cultivating studios so they're playing an entirely different sport.

Hendrick's

Top Bottom