• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer further clarifies the nature of Bethesda exclusivity

FrankWza

He really didn't have to though. They could've bought out the exclusive contracts for those two games and that would be the end of Sony getting GW or DL. Phil simply decided to allow them over to Sony per the agreements. That's the reality.

he didn’t? But now he does? That’s a strange strategy.
Both titles are timed exclusives.

nobody has shown proof of this yet so please do if you have it. As far as I’ve seen they’re going to PC after a year on PS5 exclusively.

FrankWza

Let it go man. Seriously. If games were going to hit PlayStation or Nintendo, Phil would've said so already. He was upfront about the Minecraft deal; that it would remain oon all platforms -- that includes Sony and Nintendo. He didn't say it this time. And he won't, cause that just won't be the case.

but if they definitely were not, he would have said that too. If the numbers on the PS5 exclusives come in huge that’s a tough base to ignore. This idea that he didn’t have to release the exclusives on PS5 but doesn’t want to release anything else is ridiculous. It’s a contradiction. Either he has to do it, begrudgingly, or he decided to let it pass so he can see what those numbers are like before letting more games go multiplat.

MrFunSocks

Banned
Lol “whatever that means”

yes totally clarifies things lol

it is hilarious Xbox fans hoping the follow up to skyrim is an exclusive and are desparately jumping on any comment to say it “proves” their idiotic theory that Microsoft will want to make less money.
Do you think the follow up to God of War will be on Series X? What about TLOU3? No? So why would you think Microsoft first party games would release on the PlayStation 5?

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Glad to see half this thread still stuck in the denial phase, wake me up in 2021 when we get Starfield CONSOLE EXCLUSIVE so we can then argue how it's only timed I guess :messenger_tears_of_joy:
The only chance they have is if Starfield was already under contract for Playstation. It it is not, it's not coming there. ESVI, no chance at all.

“As part of this acquisition, all future Bethesda/Zenimax games not already planned to release on other platforms will be exclusive to Xbox and PC.”
There. That’s what he could have said. Zero ambiguity, GamePass platform strengthened, Xbox desirability increased.
The deal is not officially done yet. He can't go making definitive statements about anything. It would be a huge blunder and could potentially jeopardise the deal.

Last edited:

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
but if they definitely were not, he would have said that too. If the numbers on the PS5 exclusives come in huge that’s a tough base to ignore. This idea that he didn’t have to release the exclusives on PS5 but doesn’t want to release anything else is ridiculous. It’s a contradiction. Either he has to do it, begrudgingly, or he decided to let it pass so he can see what those numbers are like before letting more games go multiplat.
You're in denial broski. Hope you don't take it too hard when it finally settles in. Youd think 7.5 billion to buy an entire publisher would tell you all you need to know.

Guess not...

Gavon West

The only chance they have is if Starfield was already under contract for Playstation. It it is not, it's not coming there. ESVI, no chance at all.

The deal is not officially done yet. He can't go making definitive statements about anything. It would be a huge blunder and could potentially jeopardise the deal.
Phil already locked in Starfield as GP/PC exclusives. The rest will follow.

What's crazy is its an unprecedented move. Like, legit. But its still business as usual. Theyll honor the contracts in place for two titles. After that, that's it. What Microsoft owns, Sony cannot get.

Metnut

Phil is playing it coy and not committing either way. Anyone reading anything else from his statements is just hearing what they want to hear. I doubt Phil is even 100% sure what they are going to do yet.

All that being said, I think it’s 90% likely that Starfield/ES6 never release on PS5.

FrankWza

Phil already locked in Starfield as GP/PC exclusives. The rest will follow.

What's crazy is its an unprecedented move. Like, legit. But its still business as usual. Theyll honor the contracts in place for two titles. After that, that's it. What Microsoft owns, Sony cannot get.

how is buying studios and IPs and making them unavailable elsewhere unprecedented? Isn’t that what always happens? The unprecedented part is having it happen JUST before a new generation of consoles and you HAVE to let, the first 2 games releasing that any of the companies you just spent 7.5billion on are making, exclusive to your main competitor.

Gavon West

Phil is playing it coy and not committing either way. Anyone reading anything else from his statements is just hearing what they want to hear. I doubt Phil is even 100% sure what they are going to do yet.

All that being said, I think it’s 90% likely that Starfield/ES6 never release on PS5.
Nah. He doesnt want the bad press around the launch of Series X and the deal won't be finalized until next year. Hes saying everything for people to get the gest without being definitive just yet. They know exactly what their doing

FrankWza

probably not. The only thing that’s 100% as of now is that deathloop and ghost wire come to PS5 exclusively. After that, who knows.

probably not. The only thing that’s 100% as of now is that deathloop and ghost wire come to PS5 exclusively. After that, who knows.

1. Deathloop/Ghost Wire come to PS5 as timed exclusive, which Sony paid for.

2. Everything after that will be Xbox console exclusive, which Microsoft paid for.

It's not a difficult concept to understand.

You're ok with the idea that Sony paid for exclusivity but when Microsoft does it, well, they didn't really mean it, or something.

Microsoft did not pay $7.5billion to let Elder Scrolls or Starfield release on PS5, they keep saying this over and over - and it's being echoed by industry insiders and anyone with a god damn lick of sense. I know it hurts, I know you want it all on PS5, but you won't be getting these IPs, Microsoft's IPs, outside Xbox, PC and Mobile. It's reality and it's long since time you accepted it.

FrankWza

1. Deathloop/Ghost Wire come to PS5 as timed exclusive, which Sony paid for.

2. Everything after that will be Xbox console exclusive, which Microsoft paid for.

It's not a difficult concept to understand.

You're ok with the idea that Sony paid for exclusivity but when Microsoft does it, well, they didn't really mean it, or something.

Microsoft did not pay $7.5billion to let Elder Scrolls or Starfield release on PS5, they keep saying this over and over - and it's being echoed by industry insiders and anyone with a god damn lick of sense. I know it hurts, I know you want it all on PS5, but you won't be getting these IPs, Microsoft's IPs, outside Xbox, PC and Mobile. It's reality and it's long since time you accepted it.

of course that’s probably Whats gonna happen. Probably. But, deathloop and ghost wire will definitely be going to PS5 exclusively. Definitely. So it’s the only thing we’re 100% sure of. Also, I’ve never played one of the games from the existing IPs except the evil within. But they HAVE to release deathloop and ghost wire on PS5 as the first 2 games after this big deal at the start of a new console generation. That’s a tough thing toHAVE to do. It just is.

Gavon West

of course that’s probably Whats gonna happen. Probably. But, deathloop and ghost wire will definitely be going to PS5 exclusively. Definitely. So it’s the only thing we’re 100% sure of. Also, I’ve never played one of the games from the existing IPs except the evil within. But they HAVE to release deathloop and ghost wire on PS5 as the first 2 games after this big deal at the start of a new console generation. That’s a tough thing toHAVE to do. It just is.
Dude! They are temporary exclusives. Not permenant exclusives. Sony will enjoy these titles as the agreement states - thats only for a time though. Then those same titles will come to the Series X and S.

I can guarantee you Ghost Wire 2 or Death Loop 2 wont touch playstation..

Dude! They are temporary exclusives. Not permenant exclusives. Sony will enjoy these titles as the agreement states - thats only for a time though. Then those same titles will come to the Series X and S.

Don't even bother man, the truth will be undeniable eventually and then we can come back and bump all these embarrassing posts (y) .

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
It's time to live with the new reality, us hardcore gamers really need both machines, or a good pc and a ps5 if we want to play all the best games.

Well this was actually true basically forever......we've been paying for 2 or more consoles for many generations to play the best of the best. Not to mention the handhelds as well prior to switch.

Atari/Colecovision
NES/ Master System
SNES/Genesis/TG16
3DO/Playstation/N64
Dreamcast/PS2/Gamecube/Xbox
PS3/Xbox 360/Wii
PS4, Xbox One, Wii U
PS4 Pro, X Box One X, Switch

Last edited:

FrankWza

i understand that may happen. It probably will. But there’s no definite answer. We don’t know how long the exclusivity deals are for and what the language in the contracts say. As of now the only way it will be playable other than PS5 is on game pass or pc and only AFTER it’s been on PS5 at and during a crucial time. The only thing we know, with absolutely certainty, is that they will both be on PS5 exclusively after next gen starts and they will be the first 2 games that release under the umbrella of the 7.5 billion purchase. Everything else is speculation.

Now, if they decide to keep every other IP and the sequels to these 2 games exclusive to Xbox in the future, we will then know that they HAD to release these 2 games on PS5. That is a very, very tough pill to swallow if that’s their intention. Because, while these 2 games are releasing in the first year or so of a new console generation that you are trying to turn the tables on afterfalling short last gen, you have no idea how long any other of the IPs are going to take to release exclusively on x.

TLDR: Microsoft HAS to let the first 2 games that are releasing from their 7.5 billion dollar purchase release exclusively on PS5 and they have none releasing.

Kagey K

Banned
nobody has shown proof of this yet so please do if you have it. As far as I’ve seen they’re going to PC after a year on PS5 exclusively.
Go at Sony and ask them since so many end slides on their reveal show were “accidental” or a “mistake,” right now all we have to go off was the end slides which stated they were timed console exclusive.

Perhaps if they were more upfront about it, or their fans took them to task for clarification this wouldn’t be so confusing for you.

Last edited:

Malcolm9

It's a boss move and the exact deal that Xbox needed. Sony fans are gonna have some tough choices to make in a couple of years. Can't hate on Xbox here for this.

Tough choices? I just won't bother playing anymore Bethesda / Zenimax titles that don't come out on other platforms. They made the choice, as a consumer I'll make mine.

Losing a massive part of their fanbase to become a Gamepass feeder really is something else.

Last edited:

Riky

$MSFT
It's still amusing that people still say Microsoft will soon be done with consoles. People have been saying this since the original Xbox 😅

They lost money on Xbox, shareholders won't like that.
RROD on 360, cost a billion, shareholders and investors won't like that, they're done.
Xbox One didn't sell as well as 360, no way shareholders will let them greenlight another Box.
Microsoft then release TWO new consoles and purchase studios for billions of dollars and people still think they are bailing out soon.

Some people have no grasp of the reality outside their bedroom.

Last edited:

THE DUCK

It's still amusing that people still say Microsoft will soon be done with consoles. People have been saying this since the original Xbox 😅

They lost money on Xbox, shareholders won't like that.
RROD on 360, cost a billion, shareholders and investors won't like that, they're done.
Xbox One didn't sell as well as 360, no way shareholders will let them greenlight another Box.
Microsoft then release TWO new consoles and purchase studios for billions of dollars and people still think they are bailing out soon.

Some people have no grasp of the reality outside their bedroom.

Also important to note that the xbox division is now very profitable for ms, it doesn't lose money any more.

Warablo

Tough choices? I just won't bother playing anymore Bethesda / Zenimax titles that don't come out on other platforms. They made the choice, as a consumer I'll make mine.

Losing a massive part of their fanbase to become a Gamepass feeder really is something else.
You make it seem like Bethesda and all the other studios had the choice in the matter, but they didn't. You not playing their games or supporting them would be your choice, even though you have more than 1 variety of ways of playing them.

njean777

Yes, profit. How much more money does MS gain from a consumer paying them $15 a month for 5 years over selling that same person 3-4 games on a Playstation over the course of a generation where Sony sees a good portion of the cut? Let's say MS makes $40 from that Sony sale which is probably being generous. $160 for 4 games. ESVI, Doom Next, Fallout 5, and Arcanes next game. That's IF that person is interested in paying full price for all of those games. Now take that same guy spending $15 a month for 5 years. That is $900. A difference of $740. Now multiply that by a 10 million potential new subs over the next couple of years. They gained 5 million new Game Pass members in 5 months so that isn't out of the question, it's probably a low estimate.

You can quickly see how MS will recoup the 7.5 billion WITHOUT Sony.

Now, why would a Sony only console owner be paying for Gold? You think maybe the Zenimax deal can bring people into the Xbox Ecosystem and create a Game Pass sub out of someone who previously had no intention of being one? Hmmmm

So who paid for the 3 years of Gold? Also, a very small percentage of Game Pass owners did the $1 deal(I can't know for sure but going by my group of friends, I am the only one not paying month to month). Savvy forum members are a rare breed. And guess what, it still cost them $50-$60 a year for Gold on top of that $1 so MS still makes bank.

Who bought gold at full price? I always would get mine for 30$ due to Christmas sales. Never pay full price for PS+ or Gold/Gamepass. They can be had for cheaper during Christmas/spring sales.

I have told everybody I know who plays games that isn't a forum goer to look for PS+ or Live during Christmas because they always throw them on sale.

Last edited:

THE DUCK

Who bought gold at full price? I always would get mine for 30$ due to Christmas sales. Never pay full price for PS+ or Gold/Gamepass. They can be had for cheaper during Christmas/spring sales.

I have told everybody I know who plays games that isn't a forum goer to look for PS+ or Live during Christmas because they always throw them on sale.

The vast majority of consumers pay the regular price for gold and game pass. I've told countless people I know about gold deals and xbox game pass deals, ps+ deals, almost all of them couldn't be bothered.

The Fuzz damn you!

Gold Member
That explanation has been doing the rounds here, but I don’t buy it. It just doesn’t gel with other things that he’s said. He has spoken, repeatedly, as if this is a done deal — and it is, there’s just the paperwork left to be done. He has talked about these games coming to GamePass day one, which he’ll have to backtrack on if the deal doesn’t go through. He’s talked about these studios joining Xbox Studios as a fact, which he’ll have to backtrack on. Read Phil’s announcement and tell me this is something that might not happen, and that “the deal isn’t finalised yet” is the reason for him being so evasive here.

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
What this really confirms is that MS is using the Bethesda acquisition as leverage to get Gamepass onto Playstation. They want to force Sony into a corner by making Gamepass impossible to refuse. MS doesnt give a shit which machine you give them 10 bucks a month on.

FrankWza

Go at Sony and ask them since so many end slides on their reveal show were “accidental” or a “mistake,” right now all we have to go off was the end slides which stated they were timed console exclusive.

Perhaps if they were more upfront about it, or their fans took them to task for clarification this wouldn’t be so confusing for you.

I have no idea what this means. I wasn’t confused. This post however is confusing to me

FrankWza

What this really confirms is that MS is using the Bethesda acquisition as leverage to get Gamepass onto Playstation. They want to force Sony into a corner by making Gamepass impossible to refuse. MS doesnt give a shit which machine you give them 10 bucks a month on.

The only ones who are forced to do anything here is Msoft. They have to put
Deathloop and ghostwire on PS5 exclusively while no other games from the deal are even close to being released. If you can get gamepass on PS5 why would anyone buy an xb?

urmie

The fake concern from some isn't surprising. They need to pearl clutch on Phil's quotes, like things can't change in the business world and like companies need to seek approval from randos on the internet. After saying "XbOx hAz nO gaMez" for years, MS rectifies it, now it's "bUt Phil said...". That just tells me you actually want Xbox to fail, which to me is rich, considering if not for MS, Sony/Nintendo would end up losing out to Amazon/Google/Tencent in the long run. This is why they partnered with MS on Azure servers, they simply didn't invest enough, fell behind and now playing catch-up on something MS has had in the works for years. I rather the original "triforce" of gaming stick together than let Amazon/Google/Tencent get in. If any of them bought Bethesda, everything would be exclusive to their platforms. Your fake outrage wouldn't move the needle one bit.

Besides, you have options to play games, this is what PS zealots have said all this time, they have 8K gaming rigs, so enjoy them on PC. That's the best part of what Xbox is doing, any questions can be answered with Don Mattrick's famous: "Fortunately we have a product for you......." - PC, mobile, Xbox hardware

Deathloop and ghostwire on PS5 exclusively while no other games from the deal are even close to being released. If you can get gamepass on PS5 why would anyone buy an xb?
Game pass is never going to be available for PS5. Why would microsoft go through all the trouble of making a console at a lost of they are gonna put their games on the competition anyway? Makes no sense at all.

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
Game pass is never going to be available for PS5. Why would microsoft go through all the trouble of making a console at a lost of they are gonna put their games on the competition anyway? Makes no sense at all.

Microsoft wants Gamepass on everything. iOS, Android, PC, Xbox consoles, why draw the line at Playstation? They want XBOX to be synonymous with games like Netflix is synonymous with TV / movie streaming. If you don't think that's a real possibility at this point, you haven't been paying attention to their actions.

Last edited:

FrankWza

I agree. I didn’t say it.

Microsoft wants Gamepass on everything. iOS, Android, PC, Xbox consoles, why draw the line at Playstation? They want XBOX to be synonymous with games like Netflix is synonymous with TV / movie streaming. If you don't think that's a real possibility at this point, you haven't been paying attention to their actions.

It doesn't matter if MS would have Gamepass on PS because Sony would never allow it. It would mean selling hardware at a loss while their competitor is selling software on their own platform. It would be ludicrous. Sony would go 3rd party before that happened.

Hunnybun

I can't help but feel like Sony have got what they deserved with this acquisition.

Closing good studios like Evolution and Guerrilla Cambridge after others in previous generations, and then this nonsense of paying out huge premiums for bloody timed exclusives when they could have invested in development capacity, has left them a little bit short.

Seems like they thought 2 or 3 exclusives a year is enough, but I'm not so sure. 5 to 6 is more like it imo.

Hunnybun

It doesn't matter if MS would have Gamepass on PS because Sony would never allow it. It would mean selling hardware at a loss while their competitor is selling software on their own platform. It would be ludicrous. Sony would go 3rd party before that happened.

I suppose it would effectively be Microsoft bowing out of the console business, because nobody would have any reason to buy an Xbox.

So Sony could sell another 60m+ consoles and take a cut of the game pass revenue, and MS could hugely increase their GP subs and save on hugely expensive console development.

I dunno, I wouldn't be so sure it doesn't add up.

I suppose it would effectively be Microsoft bowing out of the console business, because nobody would have any reason to buy an Xbox.

So Sony could sell another 60m+ consoles and take a cut of the game pass revenue, and MS could hugely increase their GP subs and save on hugely expensive console development.

I dunno, I wouldn't be so sure it doesn't add up.

Why would no one have reason to buy an Xbox? You're not making any sense. And you didn't even address the fact that Sony would never allow Gamepass on PS.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
God, him HAVING to release deathloop and ghost wire exclusively on PS5 must be killing him. Oooof. And if he ends up holding back the other games it will look further obvious. It’s a tough spot. Especially if the PS5 exclusives sell well. That’ll be hard to rationalize. We’ll see

Yeah, I'm sure Spencer can't sleep at night. I'm sure Microsoft will suffer from the money they get from ps players.
I'm sure he pulls the trigger and blow his brains out on twitter exactly when these games come up for sale, and the last thing he will whisper before the pull is:
"you were right... FrankWza... You were right all along".

Sounds as plausible as your whole fanboy post.

Contracts can be broken. MS could have afforded to do so if they were spiteful.

Microsoft withstands their contracts, yet attack them for being anti consumer.

dont you know? They’re just being nice by letting the games be on PS5 out of the goodness of their hearts. Just those 2 though...out of the goodness of their hearts. ;)

it’s killing him that he HAS to have those game go to PS5 exclusively.

Let's be glad it wasn't the other way around. By how much strong fanboy feelings you have in this I would fear you would have committed suicide if Sony had a similar deal.

Seriously. Please get some help.

Last edited:

Hunnybun

Why would no one have reason to buy an Xbox? You're not making any sense. And you didn't even address the fact that Sony would never allow Gamepass on PS.

If you can get all Xbox games and all PlayStation games on the PlayStation, or just Xbox games on the Xbox, wouldn't you have to be mad to choose the Xbox?

And my entire post was addressing the "fact" (aka your opinion) that Sony would never allow GP on PlayStation. Namely that it might be a sensible compromise - they get rid of their main competitor and get a share of GP revenue. In return they give up some amount of their own cut of games sales lost to GP.

It could work, it's not obviously ludicrous.

If you can get all Xbox games and all PlayStation games on the PlayStation, or just Xbox games on the Xbox, wouldn't you have to be mad to choose the Xbox?

And my entire post was addressing the "fact" (aka your opinion) that Sony would never allow GP on PlayStation. Namely that it might be a sensible compromise - they get rid of their main competitor and get a share of GP revenue. In return they give up some amount of their own cut of games sales lost to GP.

It could work, it's not obviously ludicrous.

Uh...maybe you should think before you type. If the only reason to buy an Xbox was Gamepass, then why would MS allow GP on PS? And of course people would still choose Xbox over PS, even this year they are releasing a console that has more GPU power and in a smaller sleeker form factor. So basically your argument is that it is totally feasible that MS would allow Sony to "get rid" of Xbox by putting GP on PS? Huh?

Hunnybun

Uh...maybe you should think before you type. If the only reason to buy an Xbox was Gamepass, then why would MS allow GP on PS? And of course people would still choose Xbox over PS, even this year they are releasing a console that has more GPU power and in a smaller sleeker form factor. So basically your argument is that it is totally feasible that MS would allow Sony to "get rid" of Xbox by putting GP on PS? Huh?

It's a theory.

It's long been posited that Microsoft's priority is to sell GP not consoles. I'm running with that notion and trying to take it to its logical conclusion.

You're assuming that Microsoft CARES about selling consoles, per se. But maybe they JUST care about GP subs. By concentrating on that they probably treble their subs by putting it on PlayStation, and save on the hugely expensive R&D of developing new consoles (this is a dead loss, remember).

All I'm saying is that it's possible both companies could benefit.

And maybe people would still want to buy an Xbox even under such a scenario. I guess it depends on how many fucking insane Xbox fanboys there are lol.

Last edited:
It's a theory.

It's long been posited that Microsoft's priority is to sell GP not consoles. I'm running with that notion and trying to take it to its logical conclusion.

You're assuming that Microsoft CARES about selling consoles, per se. But maybe they JUST care about GP subs. By concentrating on that they probably treble their subs by putting it on PlayStation, and save on the hugely expensive R&D of developing new consoles (this is a dead loss, remember).

All I'm saying is that it's possible both companies could benefit.

MS just built 2 new consoles and bought Zenimax for 7.5 billion dollars. I'm pretty sure they care.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA

Imagine being certain that a Microsoft owned studio will release their future games on the competitors platform, just because they are honoring a contract.

You are 100 percent sure that these two games will never get released on Xbox, yet you are also 100 percent sure that their future games like es and Fallout will release on PlayStation.

The denial is real.

Hunnybun

MS just built 2 new consoles and bought Zenimax for 7.5 billion dollars. I'm pretty sure they care.

Zenimax acquisition could purely be to bolster GP, so that's no evidence.

And whatever it is they've got planned for GP, it's obviously a long term strategy. OBVIOUSLY they couldn't bow out of the console business NOW, because the compelling game line up they'll eventually have for GP isn't ready yet. They wouldn't have the leverage to go to Sony and say, look, let us put GP on PlayStation or you'll miss out on all these titles.

So clearly whatever their plans they needed to release this generation of console.

I'm not even saying this is what will happen, just trying to explain why it's not as unlikely as it might seem. I don't think that merits the kind of obnoxious responses you've offered.

Top Bottom