• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer further clarifies the nature of Bethesda exclusivity

MS is not taking away games from any platform, actually they already stated the existing ones will still receive updates/content, and the signed contracts prior the acquisition will be honored, including non-MS exclusives such as Deathloop.

But Phil just confirmed the upcoming titles from Zenmkax studios will be exclusive to their platforms, XBOX & Windows, since they are now part of Microsoft Games Studios.

And please, stop bringing up Minecraft as an example, since Minecraft was already published on almost every existing platform before MS acquired Mojang, also, iirc Phil made clear from day one Mineceaft would still be multiplatform.

If anything, we should be keeping an eye on Obsidian, because Zenimax studios will be given the same treatment.

Kagey K

Banned
Funny seeing all the Sony fanboys cry about this ..

I thought you all had gaming PCs to play on Microsoft’s Xbox Ecosystem what happened to that 😂
Lucky for them they don’t even have to upgrade their PC anymore, an android device will suffice.

It’s a win for everyone. (Except Apple consumers, but they can get fucked)

Last edited:

Mr.ODST

Hey! I'm a Apple consumer.

Though I also have an Xbox, so, carry on.

Im an Apple user aswell 😭 I feel violated I might leave for Era

Joking ... I won’t go that far

tbf been looking into Android for xCloud but Samsung’s here get Exynos and lasts for half of my iPhones battery life. seen some workmates playing Fallout 76 together on break through xCloud which was pretty awesome use of the tech

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Easy, all that money that would be going to Sony would be going right into Microsoft's pocket with no effort at all. Same reason Apple is being combative about allowing Xcloud/Game Pass on their store. They want money, not Microsoft.

I will say, that this method might look stupid, once all those Zenimax developers start pumping out games.

You still didn't explain it. Sony is Microsoft biggest competitor. Apple is not a system competitor, and neither is Nintendo (which doesn't have game pass either), so there's really nothing that points towards Microsoft wants game pass on Playstation.

And you can be sure Microsoft rather want to sell consoles instead of earn money on putting their games on other platforms.

It's just wishful thinking of Fanboys in Denial.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
Honestly I don't see how there's even any discussion about this. Microsoft hasn't been able to secure any must have exclusives beyond Halo. Now they have a whole stable of them. Why would they not make these games exclusive?

Hostile_18

Banned
MS is not taking away games from any platform, actually they already stated the existing ones will still receive updates/content, and the signed contracts prior the acquisition will be honored, including non-MS exclusives such as Deathloop.

But Phil just confirmed the upcoming titles from Zenmkax studios will be exclusive to their platforms, XBOX & Windows, since they are now part of Microsoft Games Studios.

And please, stop bringing up Minecraft as an example, since Minecraft was already published on almost every existing platform before MS acquired Mojang, also, iirc Phil made clear from day one Mineceaft would still be multiplatform.

If anything, we should be keeping an eye on Obsidian, because Zenimax studios will be given the same treatment.

That's why Microsofts use of vague language leads to misleading statements such as this. No where has that been said.

At best its undecided yet, at worst they are not exclusive and they just don't want to say it so people get the impression of the above and are more likely to buy an XBSX.

If they were going to be exclusive they would just come out and say it. It would be a massive platform advantage. I have a hard time believing they paid 7.5 billion without having a plan.

Last edited:
MS should compete with Amazon / Google and keep it's games off Stadia / Loon(a) etc.

And treat Sony like long lost brother that it really is.

Kerotan

That's why Microsofts use of vague language leads to misleading statements such as this. No where has that been said.

At best its undecided yet, at worst they are not exclusive and they just don't want to say it so people get the impression of the above and are more likely to buy an XBSX.

If they were going to be exclusive they would just come out and say it. It would be a massive platform advantage. I have a hard time believing that paid 7.5 billion without having a plan.
Have to agree with this. The only reason I can think of he won't come out and say the games definitely are not coming to Xbox is because it makes him look like a liar after pretending they don't believe in exclusives or taking games away from other platforms.

GymWolf

The guy is born to be a politicians...there is an hint of him keeping bethesda game in the microsoft ecosystem but he is not even sure about that...

Not that i give a fuck if games still come out on pc...

Last edited:

Brofist

Sony should just allow Gamepass on PS5, let their customers decide if they want these games.

That's making the big assumption Sony would allow a competing service on their platform. They are by far the most closed off, Nintendo would probably allow it before them.

jigglet

Banned
It's good he clarified that, cause I've had my PS5 in my cart for weeks now. Now I know not to check out and complete my purchase. Thanks Phil.

CAB_Life

This Wednesday

Perhaps this already happened in an alternate timeline where Corona-V was cured by a steadfast exposure to the cuteness gamma rays generated by Nintendogs.
In my mind..anything can happens

Look at Mas Effect and Rise of Tomb Raider...

Anything is posible in the future so who knows

Theres always posibilites this game eventually ended up on other system

Mass Effect and Tomb Raider are third party “exclusives”. This is not remotely in the same boat.

ES VI coming to PlayStation is about as likely as Uncharted 5 coming out on Xbox. That’s a farm more apt comparison than yours.

DogofWar

As a Sony customer since PS1 I prefer Elder Scrolls and Fallout games on PC anyway. So no biggie for me actually. This is one those things I have found to be blown out of proportion in the console wars.

Aidah

The nature of the deal:
I pay, game no appear on Playstation (Unless I say so).
Also game appear on gamepass.

Two birds, one 7.5B dollar stone.

Last edited:

Dolomite

How any of you can draw those sweeping conclusions on that statement is beyond me.

No question that Microsoft controls the Bethesda IP, if they don't want to sell the games on Sony platform they don't have to. That much is clear according to their projections at least.

That said, absolutely nothing in there said NEVER. There is a number out there (probably after some timed exclusivity), where they would consider selling the games on Sony's platform. Now, whether Sony wants to spend the money on it is another matter. Same in reverse.

If it makes financial and strategic sense for any company to do it, they will do it. Period. (Doubt the deal gets done however).
You've got to ask yourself. If Sony buys square, or Konami, are we even having the conversation of whether or not you'd see those games on xbox? Why treat this any different?

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Lol “whatever that means”

yes totally clarifies things lol

it is hilarious Xbox fans hoping the follow up to skyrim is an exclusive and are desparately jumping on any comment to say it “proves” their idiotic theory that Microsoft will want to make less money.

Last edited:

it is hilarious Xbox fans hoping the follow up to skyrim is an exclusive and are desparately jumping on any comment to say it “proves” their idiotic theory that Microsoft will want to make less money.

Nobody is "hoping". We already know it is exclusive. Only people in deep denial are saying it won't be.

Dolomite

Deep breaths. It's gon b k

sublimit

Banned
I do hope with all my heart that MS keeps EVERY Bethesda IP (both old and new) 100% exclusive on their ecosystems (because God knows how much they need them) but there is nothing in Spencer's quote that makes makes this clear enough for someone to be 100% sure that these IPs will not come to a Sony or Nintendo system even as timed exclusives. He neither confirms nor denies anything which is what he must do less than a month before the launch of their new consoles. However the fanboys here once again spin his words to push their fanboy agendas.

I will bookmark this thread though for future reference in order to laugh at some of the posts here and to serve (again) some crow to desperate xbox fanboys. :messenger_grinning_smiling:

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
And what is my narrative by pointing out that it's not true that minecraft already existed on the Switch?
That you are ignoring all the other reasons? Also Minecraft was already on all platforms including Nintendo's Wii U. So your argument holds no water. There is nothing that equates to Zenimax games.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
I do hope with all my heart that MS keeps EVERY Bethesda IP (both old and new) 100% exclusive on their ecosystems (because God knows how much they need them) but there is nothing in Spencer's quote that makes makes this clear enough for someone to be 100% sure that these IPs will not come to a Sony or Nintendo system even as timed exclusives. He neither confirms nor denies anything which is what he must do less than a month before the launch of their new consoles. However the fanboys here once again spin his words to push their fanboy agendas.

I will bookmark this thread though for future reference in order to laugh at some of the posts here and to serve (again) some crow to desperate xbox fanboys. :messenger_grinning_smiling:

I don't even care if they keep them exclusive or not, but I have no idea how you can read that quote and come away with that conclusion.

- he flat out says yes to the fact they can afford not to bring the games to ps5

- he says we didn't go out to "keep games" from gamers - this is his way of trying to not look bad / evil corp, thier target was to add games to their ecosystem

- he says they want to focus on the platforms that xbox supports (and even goes on to say specifically that is xbox, pc and xcloud)

He literally couldn't make it much clearer.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!

They are going to do with them whatever is better for Xbox. No need to make definitive statements about it. But it's obvious that unless some major shift occurs, these games aren't coming to Playstation.

FrankWza

God, him HAVING to release deathloop and ghost wire exclusively on PS5 must be killing him. Oooof. And if he ends up holding back the other games it will look further obvious. It’s a tough spot. Especially if the PS5 exclusives sell well. That’ll be hard to rationalize. We’ll see

Portugeezer

That's a lot of words just to try to say the future games will remain exclusive to their platforms. Why so difficult?

People shouldn't be buying a PS5 and thinking these games might come to PS5 in the next 5 years, somehow. Unless they will.

FrankWza

That's a lot of words just to try to say the future games will remain exclusive to their platforms. Why so difficult?

People shouldn't be buying a PS5 and thinking these games might come to PS5 in the next 5 years, somehow. Unless they will.

either way, Sony will benefit. They have 2 exclusives they have to produce with them. If they aren’t great, they will continue a trend they have been at for a few years now with their IPs which hurts the outlook of the 7.5 billion purchase. If they knock it out of the park, and the 2 PS5 exclusives sell great, it will be hard to turn down the numbers the other games will do on a 100 million selling console. Either way, it’s a tougher spot for MS to be in. The Sony exclusives are close. Everything else is at at least 2 years away.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
either way, Sony will benefit. They have 2 exclusives they have to produce with them. If they aren’t great, they will continue a trend they have been at for a few years now with their IPs which hurts the outlook of the 7.5 billion purchase. If they knock it out of the park, and the 2 PS5 exclusives sell great, it will be hard to turn down the numbers the other games will do on a 100 million selling console. Either way, it’s a tougher spot for MS to be in. The Sony exclusives are close. Everything else is at at least 2 years away.
the narrative that xbox exclusives are selling poorly is misleading due to gamepass. They designed the game from the ground up to be on gamepass so it is unfair and inaccurate to measure the success by game sales alone. Subscriptions to gamepass matter much more at this point and at 15 million subscribers if gamepass maintains these numbers or improves them over time, it more than makes up for it.

Even so, I believe a game like Gears 5 still sold upwards of 3 million copies. So that on top of gamepass subs...I would hardly call it a failure.

I know it's hard for people to understand, so I don't expect people to agree when measurements have been done a certain way for so long. Others just seem to want to toss Microsoft in the same competitive ring as Sony when they are doing 2 very different things.

LordOfChaos

I'll be a bit bummed if I can't get TES6 on PS5, but on considering it I guess it didn't really change the equation for me. I'll just play it on PC then, which is the same way the generation was going to go for me anyways.

Top Bottom