• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer further clarifies the nature of Bethesda exclusivity

OKAY? It does nothing to clarify if games will or will not be on other platforms.

Considering MS legally don't own Zenimax yet, this is about as close as you'll get to a straight "nope, our IPs aren't coming to PS5."

How about another quote where Phil firmly shuts the door?

""In terms of where games will show up, our commitment is that our games will show up on Game Pass, PC, console and xCloud. In terms of other platforms we'll take it on a case by case basis but as the Xbox community, what they should feel is a huge investment in the experience they're going to have in the Xbox ecosystem, and we want the Xbox ecosystem to be the absolute best place to play and we think game availability is absolutely part of that."

Or how about the founder of Bethesda when asked if the IPs would now be exclusive?

"I do not think it is any accident that this announcement occurred so close to Sony’s PS5 announcement. There are only a limited number of proven creators of AAA. What Microsoft owns, Sony cannot get."

It's absolutely black and white at this point.

Last edited by a moderator:

sn0man

Existing contracts will be honored. The future will be Dishonored.
“This deal was not done to take games away from another player base like that.”
“Nowhere in the documentation that we put together was: ‘How do we keep other players from playing these games?’”

“We want more people to be able to play games, not fewer people to be able to go play games.”

So... the intention was not to take the games away from other platforms?

“we have xCloud and PC and Game Pass and our console base,”
Translation: making a game exclusive to a single platform is bad. We at Microsoft solved this by redefining our offerings as separate platforms.

So is MS anti-consumer now? And is Phil Spencer officially a liar? Didn't he say they didn't believe in doing video game's business this way?
They won’t say those words as it would be counter to their messaging.
Basically. Phil Spencer has been a used car salesman who will say whatever fits best in the moment, even if it’s proved wrong a week later, long before commenting on exclusives.

I like the guy, but he’s another Reggie. Just completely full of shit.
100% and to be clear Sony would love nothing more than to buy Zenimax to keep it off PC, Nintendo, and Xbox. None of these companies are in it for the “peace and love and gaming for all”. Phil was just the one most recently peddling that narrative.

What is it that you didn't understand? No first party games on ps is what he said

No, he didn't.

All he did was answer the question. People are once again reading in between the lines of shit Phil Spencer says.

"But I’ll also say in the model—I’m just answering directly the question that you had—when I think about where people are going to be playing and the number of devices that we had, and we have xCloud and PC and Game Pass and our console base, I don’t have to go ship those games on any other platform other than the platforms that we support in order to kind of make the deal work for us.

He simply answered the question about whether or not the deal could work without PlayStation.

Last edited:

Airbus Jr

Banned
“Is it possible to recoup a $7.5 billion investment if you don’t sell Elder Scrolls VI on the PlayStation?” I asked.

“Yes,” Spencer quickly replied

Pay attention no mention of Nintendo

Nintendo is no thread for Xbox

Still posibilities for Switch or upcoming Nintendo system releases

So we can get those game on Nintendo

Great news for everyone

Last edited:

FunkMiller

The actual reality of this situation is this:

If, over the next few years, Ps5 massively outsells XBox, and is regarded as the market leader, with a massive install base: Bethesda games will be out on Ps5.

If, over the next few years, Xbox and PlayStation maintain a closer sales ratio, and PlayStation is not by far and away the dominant console of this generation: Bethesda games won’t be out on Ps5.

Microsoft have to challenge Sony in the marketplace to ensure exclusivity.

This is the plain, simple old reality in a capitalist economy.

...now, whether Sony will actually want Bethesda games on their platform if they are in that dominant a position is another thing entirely. EDIT: a decision predicated on whether Microsoft charge them a fucking fortune for the privilege!

Last edited:

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
4irl0d.jpg

tenor.gif

Stuart360

“Is it possible to recoup a $7.5 billion investment if you don’t sell Elder Scrolls VI on the PlayStation?” I asked.

“Yes,” Spencer quickly replied

Pay attention no mention of Nintendo

Nintendo is no thread for Xbox

Still posibilities for Switch or upcoming Nintendo system releases

So we can get those game on Nintendo

Great news for everyone
I wouldnt be surprised if some games come to Switch, in fact i'm 99% certain it was Switch Phil was on about with his 'case by case basis'.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
I dont really see what that has to do with anything. Microsoft have bought a lot of studios over the years, the games are on Xbox on PC. Sony has bought studios, the games are on Playstation. If Sony bought Konami, are you saying you would expect a new Metal gear or Silent Hill on Xbox?. Are you saying you expect Microsoft to release The Outer Worlds 2 on PS5?.

I do, but you have a hard time to read or something. Let me help you:

Its like asking God of War, Spidey or Horizon to get ported over to Series X,..yall outta your minds?!

It's over, all Bethesda shit staying lifetime exclusive on the X. If any of you having a hard time dealing with this holla at me ill sing you a lullaby or somethin' .

Are these games created to be multiplatform in the past or not? Also, not all Xbox games have seen the light on PC...so it's more semi-multiplatform.

I bet most of the Xbox fans said that exclusives weren't that any important anymore, and that people only play multiplatform games. It's funny that i see more threads popping up where people ask Microsoft to buy more studio's then asking for games.

Last edited:
Bethesda is a dying company in any case. Microsoft basically bought Bethesda for Skyrim and Fallout 3. And..... they are not recouping that 7.5 billion anytime soon from their gaming company.

Also, by the time the Elder Scrolls VI is out, the PS5 will have already sold 50m plus units. We have no clue if Starfield is going to be any good.... and judging by Bethesda's recent history, it'll probably be average to bad. And, yet again, I doubt Starfield will be out before 2022.

Last edited:

NickFire

So is MS anti-consumer now? And is Phil Spencer officially a liar? Didn't he say they didn't believe in doing video game's business this way?
Unless there is more than what OP quoted, he answered the question directly, but dodged the issue altogether. All he said was that he could make the money back without PS5 sales. But that won't stop some people from getting really excited about console exclusivity until the day comes when Phil says we never promised that and don't want to take games away like we have said all along.

bender

What time is it?
I wouldn't expect future titles on Sony platforms. Best case scenario is they decide to release the titles a year or so after they launch once Microsoft is convinced they've squeezed all the hardware/Game Pass sales from that software. Then again, both Game Pass and Bethesda titles are ever green so I'd put my money on those titles never seeing the light of day on Playstation.

pasterpl

If, over the next few years, Ps5 massively outsells XBox, and is regarded as the market leader, with a massive install base: Bethesda games will be out on Ps5.

If, over the next few years, Xbox and PlayStation maintain a closer sales ratio, and PlayStation is not by far and away the dominant console of this generation: Bethesda games won’t be out on Ps5.

...now, whether Sony will actually want Bethesda games on their platform if they are in that dominant a position is another thing entirely.

they literally just paid zenimax/Bethesda for 2 timed exclusives

Stuart360

...now, whether Sony will actually want Bethesda games on their platform if they are in that dominant a position is another thing entirely.
lol the highlighted made me chuckle.
As for the rest of your post, yes its possible you could be right, regarding hardware sales, but you are also forgetting Xbox is PC as well now, not just the console anymore, and Xbox + PC numbers are way beyond the sales numbers PS5 could dream of getting.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
I think you guys are misreading him - he's saying while they didn't set out to keep games away from other platforms, he's also saying that driving customers to their existing platforms is very important to their success, and as such, they are willing to take the hit on not brining out Bethesda games on PS5.
He's trying not to make everyone call him a hypocrite, while still telling the truth. Xbox needs more exclusive games to successful, we know that, he knows it, and that's what's going to happen with Bethesda games.

Tmack

Specially because those games on the xbox ecosystem will be tied to gamepass (which i have doubts about it`s sustainability)... Considering PS5 have a big lead, how to let go millions in unity sales for 70$ a piece?

reinking

Gold Member
Considering MS legally don't own Zenimax yet, this is about as close as you'll get to a straight "nope, our IPs aren't coming to PS5."

How about another quote where Phil firmly shuts the door?

""In terms of where games will show up, our commitment is that our games will show up on Game Pass, PC, console and xCloud. In terms of other platforms we'll take it on a case by case basis but as the Xbox community, what they should feel is a huge investment in the experience they're going to have in the Xbox ecosystem, and we want the Xbox ecosystem to be the absolute best place to play and we think game availability is absolutely part of that."

Or how about the founder of Bethesda when asked if the IPs would now be exclusive?

"I do not think it is any accident that this announcement occurred so close to Sony’s PS5 announcement. There are only a limited number of proven creators of AAA. What Microsoft owns, Sony cannot get."

It's absolutely black and white at this point.
Thank you for replying with actual info. As I have said, I will have both consoles so it personally does not effect me. I'm just not good at Phil-anese. I should probably stop reading what he actually says.

FunkMiller

lol the highlighted made me chuckle.
As for the rest of your post, yes its possible you could be right, regarding hardware sales, but you are also forgetting Xbox is PC as well now, not just the console anymore, and Xbox + PC numbers are way beyond the sales numbers PS5 could dream of getting.

Apologies... should have been clearer. I say that based on the likely notion that Msft would charge an absolute arm and a leg for the rights to have the game on Ps5 😊

Fair point on PC, but they won’t pass up on tens of millions of Ps5 owners. That’s just too much cash to leave on the table for no good reason whatsoever.

Last edited:

Xenon

I mean this makes total sense considering how many Xbox Microsoft published exclusives went over to the PS4 thanks to its significant lead over the Xbox One.

NickFire

Console warriors never fail to amaze me. A firm closing of the door begins and ends with a simple statement that no games will be released on PS5 unless already contractually obligated. Here's another life tip --> the stripper is only pretending to like you in hopes of more money.

Denton

I would love to see all Bethesda and MS games on PS5.

And all Sony games on Windows and Xbox.

And have crossplay throughout.

Maybe they should do a deal like that.

But they won't.

Derktron

Banned
The bias continues, why do Sony fanboys want Microsoft to release Bethesda games on PlayStation when if Sony had bought out Bethesda they would not be asking the same thing on if Xbox should get the games when in reality they would be bragging about it and Sony would not release anything other than PC. I mean let’s be real, Microsoft didn’t buy out Bethesda for 7 billion just to continue adding Bethesda games to PlayStation. It doesn’t make any dang sense.

FunkMiller

I mean this makes total sense considering how many Xbox Microsoft published exclusives went over to the PS4 thanks to its significant lead over the Xbox One.

Oh blimey, I'm suggesting this happens if the Ps5 blows the Series X completely out of the water, not if it just enjoys a fairly decent lead in the market.

...to be honest, all of this is a bit of a moot point anyway. We're talking about decisions that won't actually be taken for years yet - especially if it's Elder Scrolls.

By that time Amazon will have probably fucked the entire industry model up anyway, and this conversation will feel antiquated.

The bias continues, why do Sony fanboys want Microsoft to release Bethesda games on PlayStation when if Sony had bought out Bethesda they would not be asking the same thing on if Xbox should get the games when in reality they would be bragging about it and Sony would not release anything other than PC. I mean let’s be real, Microsoft didn’t buy out Bethesda for 7 billion just to continue adding Bethesda games to PlayStation. It doesn’t make any dang sense.

I should point out that I'm fine with Microsoft keeping all the Bethesda games exclusive - it'll be a good excuse for me to pick up a Series X down the line, but the conversation about potential business decision sin the future is an interesting one.

Last edited:

Derktron

Banned
Bethesda is a dying company in any case. Microsoft basically bought Bethesda for Skyrim and Fallout 3. And..... they are not recouping that 7.5 billion anytime soon from their gaming company.

Also, by the time the Elder Scrolls VI is out, the PS5 will have already sold 50m plus units. We have no clue if Starfield is going to be any good.... and judging by Bethesda's recent history, it'll probably be average to bad. And, yet again, I doubt Starfield will be out before 2022.
Bethesda was dying?

Redlancet

Banned
If they hold Gamepass numbers, they have 15 million subscribers x $15 a month. That's $225 million a month in my extremely simplistic calculation.

Obviously lots of people have Gamepass for cheaper, and they have expenses for games on there to take into consideration. And they have other revenue streams from games sales and their 30% revenue from all other game sales. Then the expenses of staffing the studios themselves as a continuing expense.

It's definitely playing the long game, but if their subscriber numbers go up and they stop doing gigantic acquisitions, they should eventuallyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy be profitable. Maybe.
15 millions 15€ a month? Nah

Derktron

Banned
Oh blimey, I'm suggesting this happens if the Ps5 blows the Series X completely out of the water, not if it just enjoys a fairly decent lead in the market.

...to be honest, all of this is a bit of a moot point anyway. We're talking about decisions that won't actually be taken for years yet - especially if it's Elder Scrolls.

By that time Amazon will have probably fucked the entire industry model up anyway, and this conversation will feel antiquated.

I should point out that I'm fine with Microsoft keeping all the Bethesda games exclusive - it'll be a good excuse for me to pick up a Series X down the line, but the conversation about potential business decision sin the future is an interesting one.
A company doesn’t take another company just to share its assets for others to enjoy.

Krappadizzle

Gold Member

You are so full of absolute shit. Skyrim is still one of the best selling games of ALL time. Not just it's generational release, ALL time. On top of the crazy long legs that Oblivion, Fallout 3, NV, 4 have. They are swimming in money. Just a brief glimpse of your history shows how much FUD you like to spread about MSFT. It's really sad and pathetic. I foresee you not lasting long here on GAF.

I challenge you to provide a modicum of evidence. Just a smidge.

Last edited:
Via GamePass - maybe. But that is it.

It doesn't even matter how many consoles PS5 sold - GamePass is able to generate money continuously. And MS can offset any loss using input-output model due to having multiple revenue streams that rely on its own cloud infrastructure. Not to mention Windows and enterprise. The last thing we need to think is how MS will spend its money. It is 1.5T corporation.

FunkMiller

Via GamePass - maybe. But that is it.

It doesn't even matter how many consoles PS5 sold - GamePass is able to generate money continuously. And MS can offset any loss using input-output model due to having multiple revenue streams that rely on its own cloud infrastructure. Not to mention Windows and enterprise. The last thing we need to think is how MS will spend its money. It is 1.5T corporation.

GamePass could well become a thing on Playstation, if the hardware arm of XBox screws the pooch. I can absolutely see them pulling the plug on hardware if it doesn't perform much better this gen. Especially if Amazon come barreling in and make a huge impact with Luna. I think in the long run, they're the ones Msft are worried about, not little Sony!

Hunnybun

I've never understood why anybody expected them to release the games on PlayStation.

The idea that they're just aiming to be a publisher is completely debunked by none of their other games coming to PlayStation. They're aiming to build game pass as a platform and exclusive games are key to attracting gamers to a platform.

It's definitely a bit shit for PlayStation owners. Personally I'm only really interested in Doom from Bethesda, but when you factor in all their other games, plus game pass, I can definitely see me picking an Xbox up in a couple of years, once the games actually start showing up.

Dabaus

Banned
The full quote is posted below, emphasis on the bolded. To me it sounds like Bethesda games will still be on ps5. Its not a hard no and hes answering the question which was "can this be profitable if they were only on xbox" as a hypothetical, not thats what the plan is. Thats how i read it anyways.

“Yes,” Spencer quickly replied.

Then he paused.

“I don’t want to be flip about that,” he added. “This deal was not done to take games away from another player base like that. Nowhere in the documentation that we put together was: ‘How do we keep other players from playing these games?’ We want more people to be able to play games, not fewer people to be able to go play games. But I’ll also say in the model—I’m just answering directly the question that you had—when I think about where people are going to be playing and the number of devices that we had, and we have xCloud and PC and Game Pass and our console base, I don’t have to go ship those games on any other platform other than the platforms that we support in order to kind of make the deal work for us. Whatever that means.”

Stooky

“Yes,” Spencer quickly replied.
Phill Spencer says alot things that don't pan out . We don't know what obligations Bethesda had with Sony. So i'll believe it when I see it.

Top Bottom